Concert Attendance Report

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Any report on Yesudas at Raja Annamalai Manram
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 29 Dec 2009, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Before vijaysiva's concert in kalarasana, I had a chance to listen to the previous slot which is reserved for thamizh isai . GeethA sundaresan supported by akkarai swarnalatha(in violin) sang jagadEEShwari-mohanam as a main and wrapped with muruganin maru peyar in behAg.The vocalist sang pretty well , since I was only from the second half of the main , I have missed a lot.

But the tani and the energetic play of Arjun Ganesh.was really very very good , he is probably an artist to watch out in the future.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 Dec 2009, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

not a single rasika who likes Yesudas and who attended YesudAs concert at raja annamalai manram

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sorry, VK R. People tell me that my reasons for not going to his concerts may be outdated, but I haven't seen him for some years now.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
Sorry, I have eluded you. Too many concerts! Posting on the forum is almost impossible with the facility (or lack of it) which is my lot now. Will call you tomorrow.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Good: I should be at home tomorrow!

erode14

Post by erode14 »

rajeshnat wrote: GeethA sundaresan
she is a good singer, rajesh. I have played two concerts for her at raga sudha and one in rr sabha. she used to visit from muscat, a disciple of DKP.
in fact, i still remember what she sang 9 years ago... pAhimAm shrI rAjarAjesvari (nAttai), shrI sathyanArAyaNam and a nice rtp in thOdi...

raga82

Post by raga82 »

attending ashroh @4pm hope to meet some of u there:)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Taking the day off!

cameo

Post by cameo »

Sanjay subramaniam at PSBB,KK Nagar,02-JAN
Violin - S Varadarajan, Mridangam - Tanjore Ramaoss

RTP- Vakula bharanam

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I heard tmk sang 2 rtps at ifas i think it was....any reports from forum members?

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Shertalai Ranganatha Sharma at Neelakanta Sivan Academy, Velachery, 1-Jan-2010, 7 PM
Accompanied by Kandadevi S. Vijayaraghavan (V) and Trichur Narendran (M)

Running a temperature, I could no way have driven to Mylapore or T Nagar for a 'regular' concert so I popped an extra Crocin and walked 5 minutes to the Kalyana Mandapam nearer home for this concert. Turned out to be a good decision in spite of the uncomfortable plastic chairs and a sub-par audio / speakers system.

Shri Sharma started with a varnam (didn't mak notes and forgot), followed up with a Neelakanta Sivan kriti in Nattai (I think) said to have been composed on the mukkuruni vinayakar of Madurai Meenakshi temple and then a GNB kriti in Tamil in bahudari. Both were fresh and energetic. Then came a sublime varaali (Seshachala nayakam), a very moving mukhari (enRaikku Siva krupai varumo - N. Sivan) and a scintillating kapi (inta sowkhyamani) which was the main. Wish to see more of this artiste. Violin and Mridangam support were very good and added well to the overall effect.
Last edited by sridhar_ranga on 03 Jan 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Erode Sir

Pahimam Sri Rajarajeswari....( Nattai ?).....my Guru taught me a song (same words) in the raga Janaranjani and the song was by Shri Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer.....By any chance you are referring to the same song ?

Regards

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

There are two pAhimAm srIs - one in nATTai and the other in janaranjani.

true_rasika

Post by true_rasika »

A video recording of PAhimAm (nAttai) is available at this link below.:

http://www.veenavaani.com/music.html

Please scroll down and click on the first You-tube recording titled Trimurthi Day 2009 - Bridgewater NJ. This song was rendered by students of Kalyani Ramani in New Jersey, in March 2009.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Thank you Bilahari....learnt some thing new to-day!

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Vocal : Dr. Varadarangan

Violin : Dr.Jyothsna Srikanth

Mrudangam : Arjunkumar

Venue : SGBS TRust, Unnati Centre, Bangalore , 3rd Jan 2010

Songlist:

01 vanajAksha ninnE kOri ( varNam) - mandAri - Mysore Vasudevacharya ( O )

02 srI mahAgaNapathE - nAtta - Mayuram Viswanatha Shastri ( A,S )

03 bhajarE rE mAnasa - AbhEri - Mysore Vasudevacharya ( A)

04 vENugAna lOluni - kEdAragauLa - Thyagaraja ( A )

05 nE pogaDakuNTE - shubhapantuvarALi - Thyagaraja ( A,N,S )

neraval & swara @ ‘nIraja nayana shrI tyAgarAjanuta bAluDagu‘

06 guruguha swAminin bhaktim karOmi - bhAnumati - Muthuswami Dikshitar ??

07 pAlinchu kAmAkshi - madhyamAvathi - Shyama Shastri ( A,N,S,T )

neraval & swara @ ‘ kAntamagu pEru ponditivi kAruNya mUrti‘

08 enna thavam seidhanai - kApi - Papanasam Sivan

09 thillAna - miyAn ki malhAr - Mysore R Visweswaran

10 slOkam ( kichinoLagE ..??) - hamsAnandi - Purandara Dasa

kashta pattaru illa - hamsAnandi - Kanakadasa

11 srI chakra rAja - rAgamAlika - Agasthyar

12 mangaLam - saurAshtram - Thyagaraja

mangaLam kOsalEndra - SrI / Madhyamavathi

Very good concert with pure classisism, sans frills. Good way to start the new year.

Posted here as there are few interesting krithis and ragams in there. Thillana in Miyan ki Malhar , a Bhanumati kriti , few more not often heard krithis( varnam, shubhapantuvarali etc).
Last edited by braindrain on 05 Jan 2010, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yesterday I saw Vijay Siva, just up the road in Thiruvanmiyur. It is impossible not to enjoy his concert, because it shows that he enjoys it! A remarkable aspect of this occasion was sitting in the front row, very close to Trichy Sankaran's right hand: quite an experience!

Today I saw Neyvali Santhanagopalan. For an artist that I enjoy so much, it is strange that I have only seen him sing live twice (and coincidentally, it was the same place this time last year that I saw him the first time). This concert was characterised by the extremely high proportion of improvised music. Delivered in very gentle and contemplative style (actually could have done with a little more volume; he was asking the sound man to reduce it!) this made it a very meditative program. Excellent. J Balaji absolutely sparkled. With my guruji (50% same teacher as Balaji) settled in my old country, thank goodness Balaji is here in India!

Happy concert days! :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Tonight I saw Smt Radha Viswanathan, giving a memorial concert for her mother, MSS. She was ably accompanied by the clear and strong voice of S Aishwarya, daughter of our Cienu. The program was introduced by the [in]famous VKV from these very pages, and Cleveland Sundaram also spoke.

Being an event function, speeches were acceptable, but I am forced to admit that VKV's speeches are becoming quite appealing to me!

Nothing against Sri Cleveland S... but he spoke in Tamil, so I cannot make any comment. I think VKV is pioneering the language of Tam-erican ;)

Apparently Aishwarya is no stranger to the Bangalore concert stage. Looking forward to hearing more of her here!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
Happy to hear that you attended this concert. Aishwarya is quite a gal, let alone a budding vocalist. She is confident and applies herself to her music. She is not fazed by a huge audience and ably supports her grandmother.You do know that she plays the vINA too.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

We have two young Aishwaryas in our musical midst just now and, although the violinist is a couple of years older, it is very difficult to believe, of either of them, that they are so young. Just imagine what people might be saying of them in a few decades!

Glad to hear that SA also plays the veena.

I'll be listening to the other Aishwarya play tomorrow night! :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Enjoy the concert! Yes, we have at least two Aishwaryas (while we have several Gayatris and so on). I notice that the violin wiz kid calls herslf Aishu. May be she will stick with it when it comes to her professional name too.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

... her performance was amazing. I was absolutely delighted by the main piece (I was told it was Kamas). Superb.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

TN Krishnan & Viji.

I really look forward to TNK concerts, but tonight I had a headache, the hall was packed and people kept coming and going throughout. Most unusually, I left immediately after the main piece.

I have, though, to put in a special word for Bhakthavatsalam's mridangam (Indeed, for Bhakthavatsalam himself even!). his play was delicate, retrained and absolutely appropriate throughout. Even in the thani he held himself back to a style that was in keeping with the evening, giving only a brief indication of his dynamic range at the climax of his first korvais. Brilliant and musical.

prasanna.mr

Post by prasanna.mr »

Sandeep Narayan @ Chennai Sangamam,15-01-2010
Violin-Mysore Sriakanth
Mrudangam-Neyveli Venkatesh
Venue:Natesan Park,T.Nagar
Time: 5:10 to 6:00

1.Polla puliyinum-Mayamalavagowla-Adi-Papanasam Sivan (S)
2.Kadavulai maravadhe-Thandavam-Adi-Dandapani Desikar
3.RTP-Hindolam-Viloma Chapu
Pallavi-Vande mataram enbom engal manila tayai vanangugudum enbom
Swaras in Hindolam,Kuntalavarali,Revathi,Behag
Thani
4.Vande mataram enbom-Kedaram-Adi-Subramanya Bharathi
5.Koovi azhaithal-Valaji-Adi-Vaali
6.Thunbam nergaiyil-Desh-Adi-Dandapani Desikar
7.Ninnaye rathi-Bageshri-Rupakam-Subramanya Bharathi
8.Vazhiya senthamizh-Madhyamavathi

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A happy evening listening to Ghatam V Suresh sing at Swamy's Hall

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sing?
I thought only his ghatam sings...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Indeed no! I don't know how many vocal opportunities he gets, but I attended his vocal arrangetram a few years ago.

cameo

Post by cameo »

TM Krishna at Raga Sudha Hall - 26 Jan 6pm
Mridangam- Manoj Siva
Violin- RK Sriramkumar
Kanjira- ?
Tambura 1 & 2

Mathe - Kamas
Nilotpala - Reethigowla
Vande Mataram - Desh

naveen

Re: Concert Attendance Report

Post by naveen »

Sri Vijay Shiva performed at Sri Ramaseva Mandali, Fort High School, Bangalore on 28th March 2010 with :-
Violin - RK SriRamkumar
Mridanga - J Vaidyanathan
Kanjira - N Amrith

Time - 6:30 - 9:30 PM

Partial song list :-

Vanajaksha - Reethigowla Varna
Mamava Satatam - Jaganmohini
Parathpara Parameshwara - Vachaspati
E papamu Jesithara Rama - Athana
Suryamurthe Namosthuthe - Sourashtra
A krithi of Shyama Shastri in Kedaragowla
Sri kamalambikaya - Bhairavi (with Thani)

srikant1987

Bharathi Ramasubban - Amritha Murali - B Ganapathiraman

Post by srikant1987 »

14 Apr 2010
@ Raga Sudha Hall for Naada Inbam

neRanammitini (varNam) - kAnaDa - aTa
nAdasudhA - Arabhi - rUpakacApu - T (R, S @ pallavi)
bhuvini dAsuDanu - shrIranjani - Adi - T (R, NS @ padamulanE gati)
tallI ninnu - kalyANi - cApu - SS (R, S @ pallavi)
hiraNmayIm - lalitA - rUpakacApu - MD
mAmava? - kOkiladhwani? - Adi - ?
dAcukOvalEnA - tODi - jhampa - T (R, presumably NST)

All compositions were rendered well, the nice "moved by SS" effect was there at talli ninnu. Bharathi employs many madhyama/durita kAla phrases in her AlApanai, which was very effective for tODi and the thing to do for Arabhi, but perhaps a different approach could have been better for kalyANi. In shrIranjani, she did not explore with nyAsa at ma or ri, but instead at ga. Amritha on the other hand, employed phrases on ma. The Arabhi was very good and impressive. I kind of like the line-up of ragas and compositions here. ;) Well, I am not that fond of dAcukOvalEna ... still, now I regret missing it!

naveen

Chitraveena Ravikiran's Concert

Post by naveen »

Sabha : MES Kalavedi.
Venue : MES College, Bangalore

Chitraveena : Sri Ravikiran
Violin : Sri Mysore Manjunath
Mridangam : Sri B C Manjunath
Kanjira : Sri N Amruth
Ghatam : Smt Sukanya Ramagopal

Songlist
1. Ninnu Kori - Vasantha
2. Upacharamu Chesi - Bharavi (RN)
3. A Krithi of Othakadu Venkata Kavi in Purvikalyani on the composer Jayadeva in Mishra Chapu. He also sang parts of it, but I forget the lyrics now. (RS)
4. Sri Kalahastheesha - Huseni (R)
5. Brova Barama - Bahudari
6. RTP in Sahana Adi Thalam - with tanam in Varali(?), Manirangu and Nattai - Thani
6. Nijagadasa - Sindhu bhairavi
7. Pavamana

The concert went on for nearly 2:45
A nonpareil concert !

arasi

Post by arasi »

Especially the sahAna, I bet.

ksrimech

Re: Chitraveena Ravikiran's Concert

Post by ksrimech »

naveen wrote: 3. A Krithi of Othakadu Venkata Kavi in Purvikalyani on the composer Jayadeva in Mishra Chapu. He also sang parts of it, but I forget the lyrics now. (RS)
padmAvati ramaNam - pUrvikalyANi - tripuTa

naveen

Post by naveen »

ksrimech, that was the krithi that he performed. Thanks for helping me recall it.
He sang the the charanam which was in madyama kala: it was really superb

Arasi, yes, the sahana was really good, so was the bhairavi.

nandiraju

Post by nandiraju »

Dear Rasikas,

In Bhadrachalam there are programs where there are group songs and individual Kutcher's happening this February. Stalwarts such as Balamurali is also singing in the program. There are other eminent singers also participating in the Kutcheri.

If I was in India, I would try my best to attend the same. If anybody visits the same or if they can get the relvant recordings updated in Sangeetamshare, the same would be a great service. Thanks to all in advance.

For this, there could be a request made to the temple authorities as well by people in and around that place.

vsrani

Post by vsrani »

The sixth episode of Kshetra Sangeetham was held on February 10, at Narada Gana Sabha. The focus was on the temples in Chennai.

Carnatic music historian, V Sriram gave a information packed speech with a visual presentation on the temples. He made a mention of the vaggeyakkaras, who on several occasions came to Madras from Thanjavur and sang on the various Chennai kshetrams, the probable period of their Chennai visits, with bits of anecdotes wherever applicable. The speech was for about half an hour, and racy!

Mr.Andrew T. Simkin, Consul-General of the United States of America, Chennai, was the the guest of honour. He gave a short formal speech.

Then, Smt. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam presented a vocal concert. The chosen krithis were in line with the speech. She was accompanied on the Violin by Akkarai Smt. Subhalakshmi, on Mridangam by Neyveli Shri Skanda Subramaniam and Ghatam by Dr. S. Karthick.

She started the concert with

1.Varanam - Sami Ninne in Suddha Thodi, of Patnam Subramania Iyer (This must have had the charanam as Chennai purivasa, according to V Sriram's speech, and am not quite sure) went on to sing
2. Dharini Thelusu - Thyagaraja - Thiruvotriyur Pancharatnam in Suddha Saveri
3. Vindamamalar -Thirunavikkarasar Thevaram, followed by Marundeeswarane by Periyasamy Thooran in Poorvi Kalyani (M Chapu)(had a short alapanai)
4. Kalpaka Madha, on Mayilai Karpagambal - Papanasam Sivan in Hindolam (had a short alapanai)
5. Aadenamma, (sung on Nataraja temple in George Town) Pallavi Doraisamy Iyer in Paras
6. Peyazhwar Pasuram followed by Sevinchina - Subbaraya Sastry - Yedhukula Kambhoji, M Chapu.
7. Ganamudham, Kotteeswara Iyer, Salagam (Kandar Kottam Murugan Temple in Park Town)
8. Sundareshwaruni - Sankarabharanam - Thyagaraja - Kovur Pancharatnam (Must have been the main piece - Then, I had to leave the concert, as I did so half heartedly).

V Sriram's speech was as interesting as ever, had liberal anecdotes on Papanasam Sivan who landed in Chennai in early 19 hundreds and about the bhajans he sang on the Mada veedhis of Mylapore in praise of Arulmigu Kapaleeswarar and Karpagambal. Smt Vijayalakshmy's concert was enjoyable and gave some brain work for the audience - to connect each one of the krithis with the earlier speech. The picture of the kshetrams came up on the screen, along with the details of the krithi being sung.

Awaiting the next Kshetra Sangeetham event eagerly if it happens in Chennai. This one was a ticketed concert and hardly there were about 70 rasikas in the main hall, who were fully members except for a very very few ticket buyers. In fact, we had to call the sabha managers from inside the hall to get the entry ticket at the counter! He said, "The turn out inside the hall is pathetic".

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Pattabirama Pandit, Anand Bagh, Sailguda, Hyd, 25th Feb 2011
Pattabirama Pandit – Vocal
Smt. Durga Bhavani( Vijayawada)- violin
Sri. Aravind – Mridangam
Sri. Hanumantha Rao (Tadepalligudem)- Ghatam

Song List:
1. Ninnu kori – varnam in Mohanam( brief R for 2 min.)
2. rArA mA inTi dAka– Asaveri – T
3. Sadinchane – Arabhi - T
4. Raghuvara _ pantuvarali – T ( R: 4 min, N & S at ‘manasuna neekai’)
5. Hecharikaga rara - yadukula khamboji – T (R:6 min)
6. manaviAla kincha rAdaTE – Nalinakanthi – T
7. dAsarathee nee ruNamu deerpa nAtaramA – thodi – T ( R: 11min, N & S @bhakti lEni kavi jAla varENyulu)
(tani: 26 min…)
8. nA morAla kimpa vEmi Sree rAma – devagandhari – T
9. slokam: “Vadyodanchad divyanama samkirtana kalanidhim, Nadabdhim sachchidanandam sadgurum tam namamyaham” in kapi
10. followed by jagadhoddaraNA
11. Mangalam

On the 4th day of the Sadguru Thyagaraja Uthsavam, the attendance was quite poor for this concert. But the rasikas whoever had decided to come were very glad about their decision. His booming voice, clear diction and dedicated performance was very impressive. While introducing the Vidwan, the organizers had mentioned that he was a B-grade artist. After listening to him, many started to wonder what/who decides these gradings, as the renditions were better than even the A-grade /popular artistes. Apt violin accompaniment by Smt. Durgabhavani elevated the concert throughout.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

pattAbhi rAmA pandit prefers to render this combo of pantuvarAli-tOdi and this particular dAsarathee tOdi is one of his most favourite rendered number.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Malladi Brothers Anand Bagh, Hyderabad on 26-02-2011
Accompaniments:
Sri. Peri Srirama Murthy- Violin
Sri. D. S. R. Murthy – Mridangam
Sri. S. Hanumantha Rao – ghatam
Sri. Ghantasala Sathya Sai – Morsing

Song List:
1. rAma ninu nammina – mohanam –T ( R: 2min, S @ rama ninu..)
2. nee bhakti bhAgya sudhA – jaya manOhari –T ( S@ nee bhakti..)
3. enta rAnee enta pOnee-hari kAmbhOji-Adi - T
4. needu charaNamulE - simhEndramadhyamamu – roopakam – T (r: 10 min, S @ needu….)
5. Annapoornashtakam Slokam – “Nityanandakari ..” in sAmA
followed by annapurNE visAlAkshi – Adi - MD
6. rAga sudhA rasa-AndOLika-Adi - T
7. swara rAga sudhA rasa-SankarAbharaNam-Adi –T ( R & r:12 min., brief N & S @ “rajata gireeSuDu nagajaku..”)
tani: 10 min
8. antaranga mella sree hari koppincha – husseni - Annamacharya
9. rama jOgi mandhu – khamAs – Bh. rAmadAsu
10. Govardhana Giridhra -Darbari Kaanada –Triputa – Narayana Teerta
11. MangaLam
[Alapana - R: by sriramprasad; r: by ravikumar]

This was a splendid concert on the 5th day of the Sadguru Thyagaraja Uthsavam. The audience who had gathered really in large numbers were treated to a delightful Saturday evening by the MBros, although there were some glitches initially due to the several adjustments of mike etc., As usual the kritis, due to the correct diction, were enjoyable. After item #5, Sriram Prasad narrated the story of Chidambaranadha yogi & Dikshitar’s stay in Varanasi, and the latter getting the unique veeNa. Also that, Swami SivanadaMurthy is planning to conduct an Annual Music festival in VaraNasi, near the Samadhi of the Yogi at Hanuman Ghat, soon. I was missing Revanth, our forumite. Only the violin somehow did not co-operate very well, despite the senior vidwan’s experience. Other pakka vadhyams rendered good support.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sivakami - seems to have been a beautiful concert! Thanks for posting it. A quick question - why are you putting these up in the Concert attendance thread and not as a review?

AFAIK, annapUrNE visAlAkshi was composed by Sri MD on the presiding deity of kuzhikkarai - he refers to her as 'unnata gartA tIra vihAriNi'....not 'gangA tIra vihAriNi' - while Sri Adi Sankara's annapUNAshTakam is certainly on the deity in vAraNAsi as evidenced by the reference 'kASIpurAdhISvari'.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

A quick question - why are you putting these up in the Concert attendance thread and not as a review?
rshankar,
as I am a lay-rasika and not trained in CM, I felt I can't write a review. I think this thread of 'concert attendance report' was started for people like me.. Still if moderators wish to, they could always move wherever they want ...

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Sadguru Thagaraja Aradhana Uthsava Samithi, AnandBagh, Hyderabad
Smt. Manda Sudharani – Vocal
Miss. Sruthi Ravali – Vocal support (daughter & disciple of Smt.Sudharani)
Sri. R. Dinakar – violin
Sri. Nemani Somayajulu – mridangam
Sri. Venkatesh ( Vizag) – Morsing

Song List:
1. gAna pAna niratham – nAttai – BMK in praise of Saint Thyagaraja ( R: 2min., S @ gAna sudha)
2. ninnadane – kannada – T- ( R: 2min), lot of gamakams, excellent violin support)
3. guru leka etuvanti guNikki _ gowri manOhari – T( R: 5 min, S @ guru leka,)
4. akhilAndeswari – dwijavanthi –MD ( R; 2min)
5. bAgayanayyA – Chandra jyothi – T ( R: 6 min, S @ bAgAyanayya)
6. telisi rAma chintana tO - poorNa chandrika - Adi -T (brisk S @ telisi)
7. evari mATa vinnAvO - kAmbhoji – Adi – T
( R:6 min by mother, 2 min by daughter, 2 min by both; N & S @ bhaktha)
Tani: 17 min
8. sompaina manassutO impaina bangaaru – Ahiri – T
Mangalam

This particular concert was the one I had been dying to attend, after reading quite a bit about Smt. Sudharani in our forum. I was doubly delighted to be able to listen to her daughter Sruti RavaLi sing along with her. It was a wonderful kucheri, vibrant and full of bhaAvam, due to the clear and correct diction. The organizers even mentioned that instead of saying vocal support by the daughter, it was as if they were singing like co-artistes. Several places, the swara patterns were rapidly modulated, with ease. In item #3, during swaram rendition with gimmicks, she was including the pallavi words in between the swarams back and forth. I am not able to describe more, being a lay-rasika. Violin support was excellent, with exact returns all through.
Overall, it was a very memorable concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sivakami
This thread was just merely started by VK ,for those who recollect very few about the concert and those who feel bit constrained to open a new thread. You have put the songlist and given a subjective opinion too.Three reviews about 3 concerts each could be in a new thread in kutcheri reviews. Atleast from the next you open a new thread.

BTW I started this timing thread long time back after I saw one post from mahesh of newjersey . YOu have taken it to a new level , you even break it out as mom,daughter and duo :lol: . Wow , if I did this below,some body would have asked me , are you hearing the concert with a stopwatch. ;)
sivakami wrote:( R:6 min by mother, 2 min by daughter, 2 min by both; N & S @ bhaktha)

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Priya Sisters @ Round Rock/Austin April 2, 2011
Haripriya & Shanmukhapriya- Vocal
B.V. Raghavendra Rao - Violin
Skanda Subramanian- Mridangam

1. jalajAksha - hamsadhwani
2. gananAyakam - rudrapriyA
3. jaya jAnaki kAntha - nAttai (S)
4. ennAlu urakE - subha panthuvarAli (R,S) - beautiful alApana by non-bopcut sister (elder? s.priyA??)
5. rAmanukku - hindOlam
6. ambA neelAmbari - neelAmbari
7. rAma nee samAnamevaru - kharaharapriyA (RNS, main almost an hour including thani) very nice ragam by bop-cut sister. neraval at paluku palukulaku
8. thani - it was nice but went over my head.
9. RTP mOhanam - Adi khanda nadai - pallavi = haram shubha karam mOhana karam bhajEham, Adi dEvam ahi bhUshanam, composed by their guru TRS (they announced the details)
10. kaligenide nAku - sindhu bhairavi
11. chinnanchiru kiLiyE - RM
12. bhajan - chadariyA jeenErE jeenE kE rAm nAm ras peenE (composer?) It was very nicely rendered by the sisters.
13. mangalam - pavamAna - saurashtram/madhyamAvathi

It was a good concert. Their voices in unison is very nice to listen to. Raghavendra Rao's return for Subhapanthuvarali, kharaharapriyA and mOhanam was superb. Skanda Subramaniyan's percussion was was very supportive and non-intrusive.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Enna_Solven wrote:12. bhajan - chadariyA jeenErE jeenE kE rAm nAm ras peenE (composer?) It was very nicely rendered by the sisters.
sant kabIr I think.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Made it to Smt. Jayalakshmi Santhanam's concert in Cleveland, supported by Smt. Narmada and Sri. Murugabhupathy, with her students as vocal support. The concert touched one's heart, the Devagandhari (Koluvaiunnade) was simply unforgettable. Shankarabharanam was good as well (Akshaya Linga Vibho). Also, the Shanti Nilava Vendum @ the end was extremely resonant and mellifluous. Totally made my drive to Cleveland in the rain worth it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahesh3,
I thought you are from the UK! I'm glad you could make it to the veteran's concert.Yes,it was a very good one once her voice warmed up. Dr. Narmada's adapting to Jayalakshmi Santhanam's singing (the schools are not similar) was not surprising, knowing Narmada's capability. Muruga bhupathy played very well too. As for the supporting singers: one is JS's long time student Vasumati Vasudevan of Florida who sings with JS often. The other student Radha Sridharan is JS's niece, cm star of yesteryears--Prof. V.V.Sadagopan's daughter. She is a busy professional who did not devote much time for her musical pursuit. Endowed with such an enchanting voice and with her musical background, she could have made it in the cm world, but remained a busy mother and professional. She has accompanied her aunt in several concerts off and on. Growing up in Delhi, she would sing bhajans and rabindra sangeet like a nightingale!
JS also sang one of my songs as a filler and raced through it so fast, it was over before I could hear it! She also sang one of VVS's rAgamAlikais. A good one, but not the best of his compositions, in my view. I remember her taking up his kharaharapriya song alaiyaviDudal nyAyamA? as a main several years ago and doing full justice to it. I was happy she sang one of mine too, but wish she had chosen a tamizh song instead...;)

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Thanks Arasi. MaheshS is from the UK, not me! You are right, it was even better once her voice caught up. The calibre that artists like her, along with others such as Smt Suguna Varadachari etc bring to the format is just so mellifluent, devotional, correct, poised and dignified - dont want to rant, but after that loud afternoon of people just lustily cheering competition winners and/or participants and/or family members, this was welcome relief.

I just wish she had been given more time, but I won't complain. The quality of the concert was v. high. I did note your composition, started with Sharade Saraswathi etc. Quite promising, nice.

arasi

Post by arasi »

mahesh3,
Now I get it! MaheshS is the one who lives on the other side of the pond...
As for SAradE, it's a quick composition, which is sung quickly in kuntalavarAli--a veritable filler if you will! As you say, her time was curtailed because of over-running programs earlier--and the song was whizzed through! It was over so quickly that even I couldn't recollect what lines were sung ;)