Some interesting tani rounds in Youtube

Tālam & Layam related topics

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Thank you very much for posting this sathsangeethapriyan I enjoyed every bit of it, especially the videos I have not seen yet!

I have some questions though, if someone doesn't mind answering, and you have the time, could you please answer it?

In the last video witih Mani Iyer sir, he starts off playing (excuse me if my pronounciation/spelling is off)

Dhim, Dhim Dhim, Dhim Dhimi kita dhim dhim dhim dhim kitathaka dhim kita thaka dhim, tha thaka dhim, tha thaka dhom tha, dhim....

then he makes thes two knocking type of noises. Do you know how he makes this noise and how do you pronounce it in konakol? I have never heard this noise before.

also..

on Balaji sir's performance (second to last link), he has a mridangam that looks like it has a smaller karani (sp?) than other mridangam I've seen. Is there a reason for that, does it make a different sound?

If someone could please answer these questions, I would appreciate it very much.

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

the knocking noise is him tuning with a rock ...you don't see it because of lag between the audio and video.

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

to be more clear, he's hitting the left side with a rock. if the thoppi is considered too low, that's one way to raise it

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Oh, I thought that, but he made it sound with the rhythm. I've never heard any other mridangist do that, you know hit it in a rhythmic way, I just here other mridangist hit it once and hard. Thank you for telling me that mri_fan

sathsangeethapriyan

Post by sathsangeethapriyan »

This is a new link I found on the net. A full fledged Tani avartanam I believe. The Artistes are Guru Karaikkudi Mani on mridangam and V Suresh on ghatam

http://vimeo.com/9211505