Mridangam, South Indian Percussion books by Trichy Sankaran

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
raghavt

Mridangam, South Indian Percussion books by Trichy Sankaran

Post by raghavt »

Hi,

We all know that Sankaran Sir has released books on Mridangam and South Indian 'Drumming'.

I have read the book titled 'The Rythmic Principles and Practice of South Indian Drumming'. The book is quite informative and has the basic lessons in all Talas (not the entire lessons). Sir has devised a unique notation for all lessons. Also, it explains nadai variations in a very simple manner; eg: how to count 4 against 3 (Chatusram in Tisram) that even a layman can try it. Also, it contains a small Koraippu section. One most important point that he mentions while explaining the way of playing, Thani and accompaniment - 'You Should Feel What you Play'

Another book was released in Canada recently. This book is on Konnakol. I'm not sure why these books were released in Canada and not in India. Again, I'm not sure how many people can appreciate all these in Canada.

Nick H

Re: Mridangam, South Indian Percussion books by Trichy Sanka

Post by Nick H »

Can you post the full title, or even a link?

I'll do some googling, and post it if I find it first.

Why Canada? World-wide visibility, I suppose, whereas published in India would mean seen in India. We would probably be surprised at how much interest there is: I know publishers do not take on books that they don't expect to at least break even on*.

EDIT: here's the mention on his own site. Not much info though. I'll go on looking :)

ANOTHER EDIT: On second thoughts, he may be publishing his own books --- which points to your being right about the limited interest.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Yes, he is publishing his own books. In fact, I have photo-copied some excerpts of the first book that I was mentioning about. But I would say he should do it in India also. Nothing much to think about this point in this thread.... :D

Well, the Konnakol book, I will surely ask him when I meet him this year... Whether its available in India... But as of now, I think it is not.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks... I think the first book explains via western notation? That's not very useful to those of us who never really learnt it.

I still would have like to have had a copy though.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Well, there are Western notations in Koraippu sections. But for the basic lessons, its Sankaran Sir's own notation that he has explained initially. Once you read the explanation, its easy to understand.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have had some experience in trying to publish books in India. The publishers want give you only two copies of the book and pay you 10% of the sales. This is one reason why one publishes the book on one's own.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Check out the kanda eka thani with solkattus throughout at http://trichysankaran.com/music/instrum ... akkol.html