AKHILANDESHWARI RAKSHAMAM

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Chinmayee

AKHILANDESHWARI RAKSHAMAM

Post by Chinmayee »

hai friendz,i am chinayee n i have a doubt in one of muttuswamy deekshitaar's compositions.
can anyone say me the meaning of "AAGAMA SAMPRADAYA NIPUNE SRI"
which is a phrase in the song "AKHILANDESHWARI RAKSHAMAM" set in
ragam:DWIJAVANTI taalam:AADI

Lakshman

Re: AKHILANDESHWARI RAKSHAMAM

Post by Lakshman »

(from the net)

Meaning:
"Oh auspicious("shrI") Goddess akhilANDEshwari(akhila(every)+aNDa(world)+Ishwari(ruler/queen)), the scholarly expert("nipuNE") in all traditions("sampradAya") and vEdAs and scriptures("Agama"), please protect me("rakSamAm")."

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Agama is a type of shastra..The line means, akhilandeshvari, adept (nipune) in the traditions of Aagama (aagama sampradaya), please protect me.
MD himself was adept in agama. He uses the word aagama in several of his kritis. You can fins aagamadi sannutam.... in his kriti Srigananatham bhajare in Ishamanohari.
Harini.

Chinmayee

Post by Chinmayee »

thanq Laxmanji and hariraghavanji.i actually wanted itz meaning for the dance choreography of this song.once again thanx a lot.but can i know what does this agama sampradaya consists of actually?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Heard rumors to the effect(from some respectable scholars) that this was NOT MD's composition.

Can somebody throw some light on this? Not that it diminishes my liking for this kriti!!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Agama = handed down and fixed by tradition
sampradAya = belief and usage
nipuNE = having expert knowledge

AgamasampradAya nipuNE = the One who has the expert/intimate knowledge of all traditional practices.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The meaning is fine. But to attribute that title to akhilANDEshwari......! It is humans who established those traditions, right or wrong. For example in one of the kumbhAbhishEkhams near Karur (a couple of years ago) the priests refused to accommodate tEvAram recitation as part of the ceremonies citing that it is not part of Agama shAstra. Give me a break! This lines up with saying that Thamizh is a nIca bhAshai. A pox on the house of those who said that. :devil:

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

mahakavi wrote: ... ... This lines up with saying that Thamizh is a nIca bhAshai.
Whosoever holds such a view deserves to be branded as a nIca-vyakti.

Chinmayee

Post by Chinmayee »

thanq friends...........i got what i wanted actually.....thanx alot.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

The meaning:

Akhilandeshwari raksamam
Agama sampradaya nipune shri

Akilandeswari= Akila+Anda+ Eswari
Akila = Sarvam=The whole=Entire (universe)
Anda= Ruled
Eswari=The concert of Eswara

‘Nipuna’ = expert=Scholar in
Agama = Vedas = Scriptures and
Sampradaya = Traditions
The one who rules the whole universe
And scholar in Scriptures and Vedas and sampradaya
Protect me
You can listen at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcB0M_SMtQ

venkatakailasam

saarangam

Post by saarangam »

the word akhilANDEshvari should be split as akhila + aNDa + eeshvari.
Sri Lakshman has correctly stated this in his posting. The word ANDa meaning ruled is a Thamizh word and it would not fit into this Sanskrit kR^ti.We have ever so many attributes of Devi like akhilANDa kOTi brahmANDa nAyaki.

Krazy4music

Post by Krazy4music »

Can Anda not indicate an egg(Cosmic egg?)

Words like :- Bramhanda?

Is this (and the fact that it is not mentioned in the SSP) the major reason why people say this Kriti is not by Dikshitar?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

krazy4music - LOL! I had to laugh at that....aNDA is an egg in hindi - not in sanskRt, and anyway, the word here is aNDa (and it is the same word with the same meaning in brahmANDa = brahma+aNDa - the mighty world) - a word that should per se not cast aspertions on the authenticity of the attributed authorship.

Krazy4music

Post by Krazy4music »

Thanks Rshankar,

I just assumed there were some Sanskrit roots there.... :$ :)

But you have sort of understood my problem. Is this word just good enough to say that this is not a Dikshitar Kriti? Is there more to this ...

The reason is that this is one of my favorite kritis and I would like it see it stay with Dikshitar (I know this does not sound very rational!). I actually like this Kriti more than Chetashri owing to some emotional assosciations ( Grandmom singing etc)

If doubts are cast on ownership, then I really want to know why.

Do we know how this came into vogue? Surely it is not the Ambi Dikshitar -> Pattamal route else there would have been no doubts whatsoever.