Potential Sangita Kalanidhis in the next 25 years !

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
mahakavi

Re: Potential Sangita Kalanidhis in the next 25 years !

Post by mahakavi »

kssr wrote:
>>Do we still have maDisAr mAmis in mayilAppUr?<<

I would think so. Unless Vishaka is not from Mylapore :)
kssr:
I think what Visaka Hari wears is not maDisAr. It is called ayyangAr kaTTu which is different from the 9 yards maDisAr of smArthA mAmis. :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

kssr wrote:I have been wearing (wrapping) the veshti from time immemorial. I am yet to fathom as to how to keep it tightly tied, without the aid of a belt. There is always the risk of its slipping down/ falling off.

That is called the Consequence of the Midcontinent Bulge (CMB) which is also irreverentially called in the US as Battle of the Bulge (BOB)

Secondly while crossing your legs for sitting down or in a chair, there is he risk of exposing the thigh (a serious offense in case of men!).

Really? Shorts are OK but a VEshTi which exposes the thigh is a "no, no"? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The real improvement would be to have a stitch between the legs, tie the waist with a naada- there is a name for the garment--- yes, pyjama :)

There is another name for that stitched look----lungi :) Even our SriranganAthar wears one when he visits tulukka nAcciyAr in the middle of the night, I heard. Ask our ksrimech, he will tell you.:grin:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A little bulge helps keep the thing up!
kssr wrote:I have been wearing (wrapping) the veshti from time immemorial. I am yet to fathom as to how to keep it tightly tied, without the aid of a belt. There is always the risk of its slipping down/ falling off. Secondly while crossing your legs for sitting down or in a chair, there is the risk of exposing the thigh (a serious offense in case of men!). The second problem is partially overcome by me by using a 9 muzham veshti.
I can understand this in those youngsters who don (and even have to borrow) a vesti only for occasional family or temple functions where they feel it is required, but I am surprised to hear it from one of my senior rasikas! :lol:

If you must wear silk, then yes, it will slip, but cotton (unless it is brand new and stiff) will stay all day.

This is what I realised about vestis and belts:

--- no belt: easy to adjust, or even retie. Even in mid-road with a Chennai bus heading for you!

--- belt: even if it comes a bit loose, you have to take the belt off and do the whole thing from scratch. You won't escape the bus.

I find no problem of accidental exposure when sitting in a chair. One can also adjust for temperature, by the adjust whether the left side, the right side, or both, are over the legs or allowed to fall between. Sitting cross-legged, though, is more problematic, especially for long periods, such as those spent by a musician on stage.

I have never got the hang of the between-the-legs dhoti wrap and, so far, I have never tried the stitched lungi.

When walking with the vesti hoisted to knee hight, Kerala men have a way of tying it up that is very neat and also doesn't fall. I have yet to perfect that technique.

Pyjamas are the worst of both worlds. No fly; a pain when in the toilet.

Whether these things are taken account of in awarding the Sangita Kalanidhi, it would appear that, within the next 25 years, the MA might have to include them in the Season lecture series!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

kssr wrote:
May be, people love to listen to moral stories from Madisaar Maamis :)
She has a niche market and is it possible madisAr maamis listening to moral stories may influence the MA for the award? Visakha Hari is not doing anything wrong if she attracts audience for her harikatha.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

mahakavi wrote: I think what Visaka Hari wears is not maDisAr. It is called ayyangAr kaTTu which is different from the 9 yards maDisAr of smArthA mAmis. :)
mahakavi, i think vishaka indeed wears the smArtha madisAr. i wish the educated womenfolk might be able to clarify better.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rbharath - I don't think it's smArtha madisAr. Google Image search,

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&cl ... 30&bih=706

kssr

Post by kssr »

mahakavi wrote:
kssr:
I think what Visaka Hari wears is not maDisAr. It is called ayyangAr kaTTu which is different from the 9 yards maDisAr of smArthA mAmis. :)
She is very much a smartha maami aka iyer maami. She wears the 9 yards saree with a Vala- melakku (Pallu on the right shoulder).

For more details contact Tambram primary educational society in Mylapore with branches in T Nagar and California :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I am not sure if she wears 9 yards sari. Whatever it is I like the way she wears it. It gives a dignity to her looks. She is also knowledgeable and when she appears on stage she creates a wholesome ambience. I hope other youngsters (women, of course!) pick up that trend.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Men are not supposed to be wholesome?

Good! That makes one less thing to worry about :lol:

kssr

Post by kssr »

mahakavi wrote:I am not sure if she wears 9 yards sari.

You do not believe wise men. God save you!! :)
when she appears on stage she creates a wholesome ambience.
I am not familiar with this special kind of ambience :|
I hope other youngsters (women, of course!) pick up that trend.
Also, Nalli and RMKV, the great patrons of CM, would be more than pleased as the steeply dropping 9 yds sales would sharply pickup :)

squims

Post by squims »

Am I the only one that finds it funny that this thread now has no resemblance to the original topic? Vishaka Hari and Madisaar maamis have completely overtaken the discussion! :P

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Vestis made an appearance but hey, I'd rather talk about the ladies and their saris :$

kssr

Post by kssr »

Nick H wrote:Vestis made an appearance but hey, I'd rather talk about the ladies and their saris :$
Someone told me that he is not very much interested in the topic of dresses but only of its contents :)

Hey! Mischievous brats. Let me drag you back to the topic under discussion. Looking at the skyline of carnatic musicians I can see Gurucharan , TNS Krishna gently twinkling. In 25 years....................... May be . Why not??!!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

mahakavi and others, Smt. Vishaka is indeed a iyer mami and wears madisar iyer style only. believe those of us who are telling u this.. please

kssr, nice society that is :)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Personally, I prefer the earlier version of VH. See here for an example: http://youtu.be/55ciH5MungE
(the new look seems a bit put-on.)

Coming back to the topic at hand, my bet is on Kum. Nisha Rajagopal - she has so much azhuttam already, surely she will mature into a top-class 'SK material' artiste in the next few decades. And Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna also has good potential.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Nick H wrote:... ... This is what I realised about vestis and belts:

--- no belt: easy to adjust, or even retie. Even in mid-road with a Chennai bus heading for you!
Not only in mid-road, even on stage! It is an art!

http://picasaweb.google.com/carnaticate ... 0956537682

squims

Post by squims »

Coming back to the topic at hand, my bet is on Kum. Nisha Rajagopal - she has so much azhuttam already, surely she will mature into a top-class 'SK material' artiste in the next few decades. And Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna also has good potential.
Agreed! I have attended only one of her concerts so far, but I was really impressed.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

kssr wrote: For harikatha Visakha Hari, for all you know may get it next year............................. . It is a joke. Obvious single point consideration is the gate collection. Sad situation.
Pathetic situation. Its an insult to the divine form of "harikathA" to say that Smt.VH is an harikathA exponent.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

25 years seems to be lengthy. Potential kalanidhis may perhaps be shortlisted to 10 years.

Administrators of MA may have so many pulls and pressures.

Increasing the kalanidhis each year by 3 to4 may reduce the heartburn among the aspirants.
The bag log can also be cleared .

While being here curious to know the criteria for the selection !

venkatakailasam

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

"Pathetic situation. Its an insult to the divine form of "harikathA" to say that Smt.VH is an harikathA exponent.[/quote]

There have been many in the past who were not considered.

While Visakahari is a leading harikatha exponent, her performance as a musician is unfortunately is not impressive and not on par with others in the field. This is my personal opinion.
venkatakailasam

kssr

Post by kssr »

I think it was given to 2-3 persons in the initial years 1929,30.

Visaka Hari can get it only for Harikatha. Not sure if there is a Harikatha slot for SK. Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar who is also supposed to be a Harikatha exponent is probably the only one we can think of who got in this category.

What about Ghatam or Khanjira? Anyone got so far? When it can be given for thavil why not Ghatam? Surely Vikku Vinayakaram deserves it- a real wizard in his trade.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think he might be one of the best percussionists in the world --- but he seems to have left the carnatic stage behind.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Sri.Vikku is now a senior person (aged) and you cannot expect him to be playing in concerts everyday . He might have moved to greener pastures. No harm. The large body of work he has contributed through his concerts is here for everyone to see (hear). If there is a possibility of giving him the award, it should be done now before it is too late.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

He's only ten years older than I am! not "aged" at all!

kssr

Post by kssr »

10 years is a lot of difference. But I agree. He is not aged especially because of the spartan life style he leads. ( I don't know about you :) )

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very unfit. Put to shame by musicians thirty (well, twenty, for certain) years older than me.

And yes, I know I am the only one who can and should do something about that.

I see remarkable mental and physical health in some of our musical elders. I'm sure the later springs from the former, and that springs from music itself. This is indeed, though, so excuse for only giving them awards when they are really old.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Kanjira Harishankar would have got the SK - but he was snatched away at an early age...

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

The kind of speculation that goes on in this thread, this will propbably lead to Sangitha Kalanodhi FIXING akin to cricket.
cml, BEWARE !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

:lol:

That would require us to put our money where are mouths are. How many would? :grin:

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

After seeing this thread selection cmmittee members will be wary of carrying their cell phones in to the room for the debate/selection.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

MA can think of acknowledging Kalakshetras work and making amends for not giving it to the likes of MDR by chosing
D Pasupathy .
In this age . When Bharat Natyam is having a fresh lease of Life ( just see the number of Dvds on sale anywhere ) , it is time to acknowledge the work of someone who straddled both Mainstream CM and Singing for Dances with consummate ease and creativity .
My next track on the Vidwans thread will be a lovely concert by this adorable singer.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

mankuthimma wrote:MA can think of acknowledging Kalakshetras work and making amends for not giving it to the likes of MDR by chosing
D Pasupathy .
In this age . When Bharat Natyam is having a fresh lease of Life ( just see the number of Dvds on sale anywhere ) , it is time to acknowledge the work of someone who straddled both Mainstream CM and Singing for Dances with consummate ease and creativity .
My next track on the Vidwans thread will be a lovely concert by this adorable singer.
The likes of Pasupathys, Voleti's, Lalgudis, Somus, MDRs are fondly remembered even without being honoured with the SO CALLED coveted title. Their music is being looked for now as collector's item which is more than the value of the title.
So does it make any difference.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

'Sangita Kalanidhi' is for sure the 'Oscar' of Carnatic music.
So, debates and speculations are bound to continue.
Carry on, friends!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

i think after25 years musicians will be invited for performances in venus and mars just like present day vidwans travel from east coast to west coast or vice versa in USA, the vidwans of that period will alternate between mars and venus and perhaps TNS WILL BE THE FIRST TO DO SO .GOBILALITHA

kssr

Post by kssr »

Or could it be RK Srikantan. At 91, he is giving a concert every other day :)

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

After 25 years Mudra will be holding a
Grand Three hour Concert -
Since most folks would have forgotten what a 3 hour Concert is , by then.
People will be thronging , since T5 matches will be the order of the day . T20 being forgotten.
And Yes TNS
Even the Guys from Mars will be left awestruck .The Concerts will be held by the likes of Marsland Sundaram

kssr

Post by kssr »

mankuthimma wrote: Marsland Sundaram
THAT IS A MASTERPIECE !!!!!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

A FUTURISTIC 'CONCERT', PERHAPS??

Dubbed the 'rocket concert' - held next to rocket takeoff/landing area

Date: 1-Jan-2050 - sadas
Venue: Mars Music Academy, RK Salai, MARS

'Artiste': A Runasai Ram
Accompanists
P Rasanna - guitar
Usiv Araman - drums

Guests of honour: Galaxy Rathna AR Rehman Swamy, Universe Rathna Sud Harag Unathan (who changed her sari after every item was sung!)

Special guest: VS Krishna TM (c) - do not copy the name, nor the voice! (some things never change!!)

Items list:
1. Invocation item: Comment ca va? - composer: Gerard Depardieu - ragam: misra - talam: misra
2. Jai ho - Composer: AR Rehman Swamy - ragam: rap
3. Sub-main: Chinnanchiru kiliye ** - ragam: rap
4. Main piece: Maadu mekka - neraval, of course, at maadu mekka - ragam: what ragam? why ragam?
5. Thillana - Voulez-vous - Composers: Abba (audience danced to this song)
6. Mangalam - So long, farewell!

** this item has been made mandatory in all concerts by this time

There was constant feedback and the decibel level was above rocket take off sound (some things never change!)
The 'concert' started 2 hours late (again, some things never ever change!)
The vote of thanks and intro speeches were 1 hour each (yes, some things never change indeed!!)

After the 'concert', people lined up for autographs and photographs with the artistes (did I mention some things....!!)

The 'concert' was webcast all over the universe - however, wasn't received well on earth. :)

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

And there was this creature with a label RTRTRT hiding a small microphone deep inside his eardrum .
Doing mp33pm recording stealthily.
He was arrested promptly and let out on bail on the condition that he will sing graha balamemi while circling the earth a hundred times .

arasi

Post by arasi »

r-t,
A mini-masterpiece in humor ;)
Even at that time, your post will sound as funny as it is today. It will be vintage humor then, a la SVV, Devan and others. Merci!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Boris karloff will be the chief guest. .If anybody gets up from his seat during tani, Frankenstein will handle them !!! GOBILALITHA

arasi

Post by arasi »

GBL,
Halloween is fast approaching in this part of the world, goblins and fairies will be at our doors soon, trick or treating--yes, Frankensteins too, among them!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Quite a lot of predictions turned out to be on the dot down the road. We're missing Mandolin Srinivas though :(

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Going by Music Academy selection criteria the following may be identified:
The list is not necessarily in order.
1. RaGa Sisters 2. Priya Sisters 3. Malladi Bros 4. Dr. Pantula Rama 5. Visaka Hari 6. Bombay Jayashree 7. Sikkil Gurucharan 8. Ramakrishnan Murthy
9.S Sowmya 10. Nisha Rajagopalan 11.Sumitra Vasudevan 12. Mysore Brothers 13 . Lalgudi siblings 14. Amrita Venkatesh 15. Amrita Murali 16.Bharath Sundar 17. Mannargudi easwaran 18. O S Thyagarajan 19.Flute Shasankh 20. Ramana Balachandra

Some more may still be added.But for now i could put down this list.