Manpoondia Pillai

Carnatic Musicians
Gamakam

Manpoondia Pillai

Post by Gamakam »

I have tried collate from various sources on the genius who brought Khanjira into Kutcheris.

http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... %E0%AF%88/

The article, of course, is in Tamil.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Manpoondia Pillai

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Awesome, Gamakam. Excellent story telling style of presentation. I enjoyed reading it very much. Thanks.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Excellent, RM!

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Gamakam wrote:I have tried collate from various sources on the genius who brought Khanjira into Kutcheris.

http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... %E0%AF%88/

The article, of course, is in Tamil.
I have heard of him through SKA.Chingleput Ranganathan.I also remember his telling me he had been going to his Aradhanai in Pudukottai straight from Tiruvaiaru which falls soon after Bahula Panchami (correct me ).
with all my interest to know about this rare vidwan the unusual(unfriendly) Tamil lipi prevents me from understanding the full content.
Could someone design a software to convert the" gamakam" into a readable format?Why not our forumite Gamakam himself?All in good intentions.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

satayabau, you probably have some font related issue. I have copied and pasted the image as seen on my computer.. ( if the letters are too small, in windows, hit ctrl,plus to magnify. It should magnify reasonably well.)

Gamakam, If there are any objections to taking screen shots of your page, let me know.. I will remove these links. Thanks.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

THQ.Vasanthakokilam!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Gamakam wrote:The article, of course, is in Tamil.
That's going to be a big job for my wife --- but I am certainly going to ask her, and I really look forward to hearing the result.

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

Sri. Gangadhara Sastrigal of Pudukkottai, son of the famous musician Tiruvalangadu Thyagaraja Sastrigal , a lawyer by profession, was a well known vainika and was also an expert music instruments maker, manufacturing instruments like Veena, Swarabath etc. According to one of his grand daughter, Smt. Saraswathi Gauri Shanker, she remembers having seen the skins of Udumbu being brought into the house for making Ganjira.

Manpoondiya Pillai, living in Pudukkottai, was very close with this family of music lovers and musicians. It is quite likely that Sri. Gangadhara Sastrigal helped Manpoondiya Pillai in his researches and helped to finalize the Kanjira.

rajanp

Guru Manpoondia Pillai

Post by rajanp »

Aum Gurunathar Thunai,

I have been following the life and music of Laya Brahmam Guru Manpundia PIllai very closely for over 30 years.
My Guru M N Kandaswami use to take me annually to the Guru Pooja of the great master in Pudukottai.
With the blessings of my Guru , i formed the Guru Manpundai Pillai Sangeetha Ashram in 1984 in Lenasia South Africa.
I was fortunate to hear first hand stories about the great master from my guru, and i have a few photos.
Guru Palani Subramaniam PIllai wrote about Guru Manpundia Pillai in the MA annual souviniers / journals.
i have that copy.
I met an 84 year old man,A Thavil vidwan in Pudukottai in 1982, he was the grandson of the Guru, of Guru Manpundia Pillai.
Guru Manpundia Pillai learnt from Thavilkar Mariappa Pillai from Pudukottai.This grandson was very great Thavil vidwan
he taught me some very old korvais and took great pleasure in reciting great Thavil Music to my Guru and M V Udayshanker and other senior disciples.
The power and the great vibration that emanates from the samadhi of the master has to be experienced,
The samadhi and Shrine was built by Guru Palani at the wish of his father Guru Palani Muthiah Pillai a direct disciple of the great master.
There is a famous photo of Guru Manpundia with Shri Kanchipuram Naina Pillai and the full bench.
Vidwan T Ranganathan helped to restore the shrine to preserve and maintain it.
Feel free to ask me more , and i will post to this forum more info as time goes by.
rajanpad@nedbank.co.za

Shri Rajan Padiachi
South Africa
Disciple Of Late Sri M N Kandaswami
and
Sri Chengleput Ranganathan

Akeelesh

Post by Akeelesh »

Can someone help me for the notes in english..please.