mAlai pozhudinilE

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kulkarni Sa'ab,
Apparently when Kalki's 'mAlai pozhidhinilE' was being set to music, Kalki requested that it be set to same tune like a popular sung by Juthika Roy (hope I spelt that correctly). Do you or anyone else for that matter have that song? I think DKP has sung BArathI's 'thUndir puzhuvinai pOl' in the same rAgams in a movie with (Kumari) Kamala dancing to it as only she could (absolutely EXQUISITE)!
Thanks.
Ravi

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lakshmanji,
Thanks for the link. I am looking for the original song by Juthika Roy.
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

i have just heard the dKP song after downloading.
checking up my juthikaroy stuff

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar:
Are you sure Juthika Roy has sung a song to the tune of mAlai pozhudinilE? I know that another Kalki song kATrinilE varum gItam, from the film Meera, was set in the same tune as the Juthika Roy song TUTa gayI man bInA.

chithra

Post by chithra »

Would someone pleas eenlighten me - when did Juthika Roy sing, and was it mainly / only for Hindi Films as a PBsinger?

Is there a place in Chennai where one can get very, very old films - Bhakta Gora Kumbha or Chakradhari, Thyagayya, movies where Carnatic music predominated, where actor/singers starred etc.. I recently saw a movie called Mangamma Charithram (I think) where every interlude was an alapanai in a carnatic ragam - exquisite!

Chithra

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think Lakshmanji is correct. Radnor Guy (in Sangeetham archives) mentions that the tune for kAtrinilE varum gItham was inspired by Juthika Roy's song. I apologize for the confusion! This is the Juthika Roy song I was looking for.
Ravi

kutty

Post by kutty »

Chithraa

It must be Mangammaa Shabhadham

kutty

chithra

Post by chithra »

Right you are - A chap by name of Niranjan in it??

kutty

Post by kutty »

Chithraa

Again I am to intervene - it is Ranjan, the stunt actor of yester years who also acted in Apoorva Sahodharargal (Not the Kamalahaasan's).

About Chakradhaari, Bhaktha Gora Kumbhaa and other old films, you may get the films in Meeran Saahib Street or if lucky in Burmaa Bazaar. If your interest is only the songs and not the films, then you may visit the sites of MKT or PUC through google and hear the songs and download some in the rm format.
If you are interested in the films, Randar Guy may help you.

Kutty

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kutty
Correction! Ranjan did not act in Aboorva shaOdararlaL. The villain was Naagendra Rao :D But he did act in Chandralekha the Gemini blockbuster!

kutty

Post by kutty »

Sorry CMlover
You are correct. It was MK Raadha and not Ranjan.
Kutty

chithra

Post by chithra »

Dear Sri Kutty:

Been meaning to acknowledge your help re: movies - thank you! BTW, where is Meeran Sahib St./ Burma Bazar etc - I know very little about Chennai; I will need some detailed instructions so I can look for them during my next visit.

Would some one give me the lyrics for a Thirupugazh - Amarum Amarum. Actually, the background is so noisy I am not sure of even this first line. Here is what I believe I hear:

1st line begins as: Amarum amarum ??
2nd line begins as: Arugan (magan ??)
3rd line begins as: Amala Vimala Marakatha Mani Kanaka Mani - this is the only line I am sure of

The version I am listening to is in Nattaikurinji ragam, and the thaalam is Roopakam. Of course, I realise that the raagam and thaalam vary singer to singer, so this is no help, but..I am clutching at straws now.

Thank you in anticipation.

Chithra

meena

Post by meena »

thamarum amarum manaiyum iniya
dhanamum arasum ayalaaga

thaRukaN maRali muRugu kayiRu
thalaiyai vaLaiya eRiyaadhE

kamala vimala marakatha maNi
kanaka maruvum irupaadham

karudha aruLi enadhu thanimai
kazhiya aRivu tharavENum

kumara samara muruga parama
kulavu pazhani malaiyOnE

kodiya pagadu mudiya mudugu
kuRavar siRumi maNavaaLaa

amarar idarum avuNar udalum
azhiya amarsey dharuLvOnE

aRamu niRamum ayilu mayilum
azhagum udaiya perumaaLE.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Dear Chithraa

Better late than never
Meeran Saahib Street sells some old 16mm films I understand. It is located near Ritchie Street (Off Mount Road). You can also take a left turn to it when you come near Bata shop of Mount Road via Aadhiththanaar Road [Pudhuppaet]). Better first visit the various sites for MKT through google where you can download a number of MKT's films' songs in rm format. They are good to hear and all are in Carnaatic Raagams. You may also get some clue about his films there.

About Thiruppugazh, I think Meenaa is quick to respond. If it is different pl let me know
I will also try

Kutty

chithra

Post by chithra »

Dear Meena and Sri Kutty:

Am I correct in the address (sri ??) - thank you both for giving the info I sought.

Meena, where in the world did you unearth the Thiruppugazh from? Was there a Ragam and Thaalam specified in your source?

I do know that part of Mt. Road - the Bata shop seems to be a land mark. I shall be better prepared for me next Chennai visit. You know, I have the MKT, PUC, T. R. Mahalingam's audio, and I really want to watch the old movies. Recently, for the first time I saw Maya Bazar, in Telugu - I fell in love with it. I saw part of Chakradhari, taped fom TV - awful print, but I was glued to the TV. There is magic and innocence in the old movies. Even films like Rama Rajyam mentioned elsewhere, or Lava Kusa - I would like to see them. When i retire...

Chithra

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Chithra,
Here is my 2 cents-worth on this issue:
VCDs and DVDs from India have inherent problems (VCDs are better, but with DVDs there is something called region protection, and DVDs made in India for Indian audiences will not play on any DVD player outside the country - the portable DVD players are OK for this, but most DVDs sold here in the US are not 'region versatile'). I know this becuase I recently bought a bunch of DVDs from India and almost all of of them need to be 'ripped' and reburnt to be played. Some of them were of movies, others were the 'chitrahAr' type, but most of them were BarathanAtyam related.
On the other hand, movies that I bought from 'anytamil.com' or from a friend who orders through a Singapore bassed company work wonderfully!
Ravi

chithra

Post by chithra »

Thanks, Ravi, for the caveat re: DVDs from India. Anyway, VCDs are cheaper, and work regardless of region, right? Never though of Singapore / Malaysia as a possible source - thanks for the suggestion.

Chithra

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Actually, in places like Singapore and Malaysia it is easier to find 'old' Tamil songs/movies. In fact, I bought many old tapes (PU Chinnappa, KBS etc) from a shop in an area called 'Little Pondicherry' in the heart of Paris!
VCDs appear to work anywhere as long as your DVD player can play them. The caveat 'if you pay pennies, you'll get peanuts' seems to be applicable to DVD players!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Chitra:
Try
http://www.photofast.com/cgi-bin/dbman/ ... ew+Records

They have a large collection of NA compatible DVDs. The service is good.

chithra

Post by chithra »

Thank you, Sri CML, Ravi - you folks are veritable treasure troves of info. "Ask and thou shall be given or helped" seems to be the motto of this forum. Glad to be here, in more ways than one.

Ravi, actually I got DVDs and VCDs from India a few years back - old Hindi films. I have had no problems. I have an El Cheap DVD player, which does not seem to be very discriminatory; it is the big brand name DVD players that are finicky. For a change, cheaper is better, don't you think!

One more Mac info - I have used Audio Recorder from the net - converts audio directly into mp4 /mp3 etc. Am unable to get mp3 conversion (wants Lame library -which is there, but it does not recognise it); but, mp4 works flawlessly. Saves time quite a bit.

chithra

kutty

Post by kutty »

Chithraa

"Sri" is not necessary. As I already informed you may try also the shops at Burma Bazar on Rajaji Saalai near Paris corner. If you are lucky, you may get VCDs of many old movies. Some shops make on order but never part with any money unless you get the correct stuff and also ensure that the VCDs play the films you want.

Here I would like to make a request to Dhoordharshan. Follow the foot steps of Prasaar Bhaarathi and AIR who had recently brought out some concerts of stalwarts like ARI, Aalaththoor Bros, MS et al and bringout VCDs/DVDs of some old movies in the same fashion from your archives. I do not know whether they will be able to do so?

Kutty

chithra

Post by chithra »

Many thanks again, Kutty. Good suggestion re: AIR archives - shall look into it. Regards,

Chithra

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Chithra:
RE: thamarum amarum manaiyum iniya
dhanamum arasum ayalaaga

The text is available in the book Tiruppugazh isai vazhipADu , published in Delhi by Tiruppugazh anbargal. The rAgA given is hamIrkalyANi in Adi tALA.

chithra

Post by chithra »

Sri Lakshman:

Once again I am remiss in acknowledging your post - I apologise. Thank you for the info; I believe there are places like Saiva Siddhantha ....in Chennai that also publish these books - Thevaram, Thiruppugazh etc.