recording devices

To teach and learn Indian classical music
manavan

recording devices

Post by manavan »

What recording devices do you use/suggest for recording classes for self-guided practice?

So far I am inclned to Zoom Q3HD or Sony PCM-M10.

VK RAMAN

Re: recording devices

Post by VK RAMAN »

I suggest Sony ACID Pro 6 or 7

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

manavan is looking for something like this, not software.

Image This looks cool :) but expensive !! 300 US dollars...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Good suggestion Enna_Solven

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Not my suggestion, his/her own. For the purpose that manavan proposes (recording classes for oneself and not for consumption by others), this will be much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-PX820-Di ... pd_cp_MI_1

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I used to use minidisc --- but a whole generation of solid-state recording devices has happened since then.

Although quality has shot up in the last decade or so (my phone does better quality recordings than the cassette recorders I used to know) the one thing to remember in this area is that you get what you pay for. Something that is designed and sold as a "voice" recorder really doesn't need to be any better than an old-fashioned phone line, but it might make music sound a bit flat and scratchy.

On the other hand, the sky is the limit, something is better than nothing!

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Nick, users' feedback for this Sony device said 'voice quality was superb despite the price.'

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ahh... that sounds good. --- No pun intended. Really!
users' feedback
We used to have consumer magazines. Now we have the internet. Much cheaper and quicker way to find out what people are thinking about their purchases. Wonderful! :D

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I wonder which setting would be good for personal recording of CM concerts: SHQ, HQ, SP, or LP
and how it compares to recordings done on iPod touch and iPhone.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

vk, however wonderful be the recording quality of these portable devices, the mic on the device (thus the device itself) has to be within a few inches of the singers' mouth. Otherwise, the recording comes out as if from the bottom of a well and throws me off completely. (eg. Smt. Neela Ramgopal's recent concert recording; I am not finding fault with the uploader, just stating a fact.) Even old concert recordings from S'priya do not suffer this problem.

There was some fidelity comparison between gramophone records, CD's, tapes at different quality settings. I misplaced the link. Let me search for it.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It may suffice for it to be within a few inches of a speaker. I tried this once, and got amazing results with the aforementioned phone. Mostly, though, if it is in a just-in-the-audience seat, the effect that the concert was actually in a hall just over the road is almost inevitable.

This is one of the reasons that I have never bothered with recording concerts. Another big reason is that I don't realise that I wanted to until it is already too late :$

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Nick, even with not-so-young-and-proud-anymore ears, I can distinguish the mic-to-the-speaker recording from mic-to-the-actual-singer recording by a mile. :clap:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That doesn't surprise me at all.

What one needs is a close friendship with the sound engineer (and it presupposed a good engineer too, which the odds are against) to get a feed from his board :|

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

Here's a fantastic round-up of Portable Recorders (Models from Zoom, Sony, Tascam, Edirol, Olympus etc.) It includes audio recording from most of these devices.
http://transom.org/?page_id=7514

For the budget minded:

Many pocket mp3 players come with recording option. I've used Transcend and Cowon players, and the recording quality is surprisingly good for the price. Some models can record from line-in (record from tv/tape) &/ external mic support. Price range Rs. 2,000 - 10,000

Recorders in the first list (Zoom, Tascam..) are dedicated recording devices, aim at producing studio quality recording. They are priced at par with studio equipment.
mp3 players are much much cheaper, but they do allow us to do decent recordings; good enough for recording classes/concerts etc.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Do you want to take it to classes or just record yourself at home and listen later for any mistakes you make / any improvements that you can make?

For recording yourself at home, use the computer. :) You may need to buy a mic, you'll get a decent one for less than 200 rupees, I think.

I have a Rs-950 MP3 player which records good enough for me to recollect classes well (especially since I've already been able to follow the phrases in class), but I would like something better for concerts!

I feel that CM is somewhat less recording quality-dependent than other musical forms, beyond a point.

Also, beyond a point, the place where you record begins to matter -- the best recorders will give you trash when you record in an outdoor sabha on a windy day.

manavan

Post by manavan »

srikant1987 wrote:Do you want to take it to classes
Yes. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I slightly looked into mp3 players, but I did not see one that seemed good enough for ear training without a separate mic attachment.

Re: "in a hall just over the road", a friend of mine secretly recorded a Injikkudi nadaswaram concert on his camera and the mp3 definitely sounds like the music is coming from across the street, but that is also evocative in its away.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I have found that iTalk works very well for recording a class or concert onto an iPod directly. When you synch the iPod the next time, the memo is moved into iTunes and the type of file can then be changed if desired All very easy.