Req: Kanden kanden lyrics and meaning

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
n_anush

Req: Kanden kanden lyrics and meaning

Post by n_anush »

Can someone post the lyrics for kanden kanden - Arunachalakavirayar krithi and also word by word meaning.

Thank you so much

rshankar

Re: Req: Kanden kanden lyrics and meaning

Post by rshankar »

I had translated several of the caraNams of this composition earlier, but that whole thread seems to have become a casualty of the server-move. Unfortunately, I can find the version I usually save as well. If the posts can't be retrieved, I will re-translate.

n_anush

Post by n_anush »

Dear shankar ji,

i tried in search but i didn't get that. So can you please post lyrics as well as meaning for Pallavi, Anupallavi and one charanam(Panikala) which BJ sung in her album Listener's choice

smala

Post by smala »

Enna Solven might have a saved copy -shankar.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

I do not remember where I got this from, perhaps from here. However, I don't have the Tamil->English explanation by rshankar. I don't need one, normally.

pallavi
kaNDEn kaNDEn seethaiyaik
kaNDEn rAgavA

anupallavi
aNDarunkANAda lankApurattilE
aravinda vEdAvait-taravanda mAdAvai (kaNDEn)

caraNam
kAvi vizhigaLil un uruvELi minnak
kanivAydanilE un tiru nAmamE paNNa
AvittuNaiyaippirinda maDa annam
AnAL nAn solluvadenna
pUvait-tirisaDai nittam nittam sonna
buddhi vazhiyE tan pudi nilai mannap-
pAvi arakkiyar kAval siRaitunnap
panju paDinda pazhanchitram enna (kaNDEn)

panikkAla vArijam pOla nirangUsip-
pagal oru yugamAgak-kazhittALE pirayAsi
ninaittangE rAvaNan annAL varac-cheechee
nillaDA saNDALA enREsi
tanittut-tan uyirt-tanait-tAn viDa maharAsi
sArum pozhudu kANum samayamiduvE vAsi
inittAmadam seyyal AgAdenRiDar veesi
rAma rAma rAma rAma enRedir pEsi (kaNDEn)

aDal sErum vAliyai vAnulagilE kUTTi
avaniyai sugreevan ALa muDi sUTTi
uDanE nee tUdu pO enRa sol amudUTTi
un ezhil pArATTi viDavanda anumandan nAn enRu seerATTi
vivaram solla uyir koNDirukkiRAL seemATTi
diDamA lakshmaNan seyda parNasAlai veeTTil
dEvAdi dEvA un tiruvAzhidanaik-kATTi (kaNDEn)

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

The Tamil version:
பல்லவி
கண்டேன் கண்டேன் சீதையைக்
கண்டேன் ராகவா

அனுபல்லவி
அண்டருங்காணாத லங்காபுரத்திலே
அரவிந்த வேதாவைத்தரவந்த மாதாவை (கண்டேன்)

சரணம்
காவி விழிகளில் உன் உருவேளி மின்னக்
கனிவாய்தனிலே உன் திரு நாமமே பண்ண
ஆவித்துணையைப்பிரிந்த மட அன்னம்
ஆனாள் நான் சொல்லுவதென்ன
பூவைத்திரிசடை நித்தம் நித்தம் சொன்ன
புத்தி வழியே தன் புதி நிலை மன்னப்-
பாவி அரக்கியர் காவல் சிறைதுன்னப்
பஞ்சு படிந்த பழஞ்சித்ரம் என்ன (கண்டேன்)

பனிக்கால வாரிஜம் போல நிறங்கூசிப்
பகல் ஒரு யுகமாகக்கழித்தாளே பிரயாசி
நினைத்தங்கே ராவணன் அந்தான் வரச்சீச்சீ (annAL? that day?)
நில்லடா சண்டாளா என்றேசி
தனித்துத்தன் உயிர்த்தனைத்தான் விட மஹராசி
சாரும் பொழுது காணும் சமயமிதுவே வாசி
இனித்தாமதம் செய்யல் ஆகாதென்றிடர் வீசி
ராம ராம ராம ராம என்றெதிர் பேசி (கண்டேன்)

அடல் சேரும் வாலியை வானுலகிலே கூட்டி
அவனியை சுக்ரீவன் ஆள முடி சூட்டி
உடனே நீ தூது போ என்ற சொல் அமுதூட்டி
உன் எழில் பாராட்டி
விடவந்த அனுமந்தன் நான் என்று சீராட்டி
விவரம் சொல்ல உயிர் கொண்டிருக்கிறாள் சீமாட்டி
திடமா லக்ஷ்மணன் செய்த பர்ணசாலை வீட்டில்
தேவாதி தேவா உன் திருவாழிதனைக்காட்டி (கண்டேன்)

I love Bombay Jayashri's version of this song :clap:

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks E-S knew you'd come to the rescue - I though you saved all translations posted on the forum as well. Pity I didn't. BJ is the best, for me too, very moving, the bageshri version.

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks E-S knew you'd come to the rescue - I though you saved all translations posted on the forum as well. Pity I didn't. BJ is the best, for me too, very moving, the bageshri version.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

I do save translations for non-Tamil songs, if I don't have them already.

n_anush

Post by n_anush »

Thank u so much shankarji and enna solven. Thanks a lot. If some one give word by word meaning also it will be nice. Thanks a lot. :clap:

n_anush

Post by n_anush »

i too like Bj's version. it has so much of expression

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

No surprise, the lyrics cam from Lji originally:
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a ... _id=00B5cP

You will have to wait for rshankar to translate. His translations retain the beauty of the original - no pressure rshankarji ;) Plus he knows obscure words which I don't.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I will post the translation later this evening...just want to point out that Smt. BJ is one of the few who sing this in bhAgESrI (and not vasantA as originally set by Sri ARI), and bhAgESri lends to the pathos of sItA's description in this composition. Other than the pallavi with the ringing kaNDEn kaNDEn kaNDEn, I think, vasantA is too bright for this composition.

smala

Post by smala »

rshankar wrote:I will post the translation later this evening...just want to point out that Smt. BJ is one of the few who sing this in bhAgESrI (and not vasantA as originally set by Sri ARI), and bhAgESri lends to the pathos of sItA's description in this composition. Other than the pallavi with the ringing kaNDEn kaNDEn kaNDEn, I think, vasantA is too bright for this composition.
Maybe singing the pallavi and Ap in vasanta and the rest in bageshree might work - wonder why artists won't do that if they can do ragamalikas ? Is there some rule not to do just two ragas?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

pallavi
kaNDEn kaNDEn kaNDEn sItaiyaik
kaNDEn rAghavA

Oh scion of the raghu race (rAghavA)! I have seen/found (kaNDEn, kaNDEn, kaNDEn) [1] sItA (sItaiyai)

anupallavi
aNDarunkANAda lankApurattilE
aravinda vEdAvait-taravanda mAtAvai (kaNDEn)

(I found sItA), the mother (mAtAvi) who gave (taravanda) us brahmA (aravinda vEdA) [2], in the city (purattilE) of lankA, that even the gods (aNDarum) have not set their eyes on (kANAda).

caraNam 1
kAvi vizhigaLil un uruvELi minnak
kanivAydanilE un tiru nAmamE paNNa
AvittuNaiyaippirinda maDa annam
AnAL nAn solluvadenna
pUvait-tirisaDai nittam nittam sonna
buddhi vazhiyE tan pudi nilai mannap-
pAvi arakkiyar kAval siRaitunnap
panju paDinda pazhanchitram enna (kaNDEn)

(I found sItA) looking like (enna) a faded (panju paDinda) old (pazham) painting (cittiram), with your (un) reflection (uruvELi) [3] shining (minna) from her red (kAvi) [4] eyes (vizhigaLil) and her tender (kani) mouth/lips (vAydalinilE) chanting/singing (paNNa) your (un) name (nAmamE) alone. What (enna) can I (nAn) say (solluvadu)? She has become (AnAL) like a mad/grief-stricken (maDa) swan (annam) separated (pirinda) from its soul (Avi)-mate (tuNaiyai). Even as the evil (pAvi) demonesses (arakkiyar) imprison (Sirai) her by crowding (dunna) around her, she is trying to keep her thoughts (buddhi) stable (nilai) by immersing (manna) them in the counsel (buddhi vazhiyE) imparted (sonna) to her by the lady (pUvai) trijaTa (tiriSaDai) on a daily (nittam nittam) basis.

caraNam 2
panikkAla vArijam pOla nirankUsip-
pagal oru yugamAgak-kazhittALE pirayAsi
ninaittangE rAvaNan annAL varac-cIcI
nillaDA saNDALA enREsi
tanittut-tan uyirt-tanait-tAn viDa maharAsi
sADum pozhudu kANum samayamiduvE vAsi
inittAmadam seyyal AgAdenRiDar vIsi
rAma rAma rAma rAma enRedir pEsi (kaNDEn)

(I saw sItA), whose complexion (niram) has become dull/pale (kUsi) like (pOla) a lily/lotus (vArijam) in autumn (panikAla). For this unfortunate, painstaking person (pirayAsi) each day (pagal) has passed (kazhittAlE) so slowly, it has seemed like an eon (yugamAga). And then, that day (annAL), when rAvana tried to came (vara) close to her by design (ninaittu), she reproached (ESi) him thus (enru): "cI cI, stop (nillaDA) right there, you sinful villain (caNDALA)!" very boldly. But after he left and she was alone (tanittu), the blessed woman (maharAsi) tried to give up (tAn viDa) her (tan) life (uyir tanai); at the instant (pozhudu) I saw (kANum) her ready to jump (SADum), I knew that this (iduvE) was the appropriate (vASi) time (samayam). Realizing that (enru) there was no point (AgAdu) in delaying (tAmadam seyyal) any further (ini), I chanted (edir pESi) thus (enru): 'rAmA, rAmA, rAmA' so that her distress (iDar) could be cast aside (vISi).

caraNam 3
aDal sErum vAliyai vAnulagilE kUTTi
avaniyai sugrIvan ALa muDi sUTTi
uDanE nI tUdu pO enRa sol amudUTTi
un ezhil pArATTi viDavanda anumantan nAn enRu sIrATTi
vivaram solla uyir koNDirukkiRAL sImATTi
diDamA lakshmaNan seyda parNasAlai vITTil
dEvAdi dEvA un tiruvAzhitanaik-kATTi (kaNDEn)

I told her how you had sent (kUTTi) the powerful (aDal sErum) vAli to his heavenly abode (vAnulagilE), and crowned (muDi SUTTi) sugrIva to rule (ALa) the kingdom/world (avaniyai), and these (enra) words (sol) to me 'you (nI) leave (pO) immediately (uDanE) as my messenger (tUdu)', were like nectar (amudUTTi) to her ears. I eulogized (pArATTi) and extolled (SirATTi) your (un) grace (ezhil) and introduced myself as (enru) hanumAn (anumantan) who has come (vanda) to explain all this in detail (viDa). As I filled (solla) in the details (vivaram), the gracious lady (cImATTi) has decided to stay (irukkirAL) alive (uyir koNDu) for now. In the hermitage (parNasAlai vITTil) [5] built (seyda) by lakshmaN, I showed (kATTi) her your (un) divine signet ring (tiruvAzhitanai), Oh Lord (dEva) of Lords (dEvAdi), and (I saw sItA) become resolute (diDamA) [6].

FOOTNOTES
[1] The composer Sri AK supposedly started this composition with 'kaNDEn', to emphasize that fact that rAma would immediately be reassured...in the fragile state he was, distraught with grief, if hanumAn had started with sItayai, the despondent rAma might have feared the worst
[2] vishNu is considered the father of brahmA (brahmaku tanriyunitaDE as annamAcArya says), so by extension, lakshmi/sItA is his mother (just as lakshmi is described as 'manmathanai Inredutta annaiyE' by PS)
[3] uruvELi is literally the illusion/mirage of a lost love's physical form
[4] eyes red from weeping
[5] Sri AK is faithful to kambanATTAzhvAr's version of the rAmAyaNa where the hut with sItA in it is carried away by rAvaNa; vAlmIki's version has rAvaNa carrying sItA away, by herself
[6] diDamA/diDamAna could also be an adjective for the hermitage

smala

Post by smala »

shankar what is the significance of "even the Gods have not set their eyes on the city of Lanka" am at a loss here.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Similarly interesting word order in valmIki rAmAyanam:
नियताम् अक्षताम् देवीम् राघवाय न्यवेदयत्
niyataam = is constant in devotion to her husband; akShataam = and sound in body; deviim = that Seetha the princess; nyavedayat = reported;
http://www.sanskritdocuments.org/sites/ ... tm#Verse36

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Ravi, nice work as usual!
Bur I remember this translation very well,,,, and that also i remember looking at it recently...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

krishnaa thank you! If you find that misplaced translation, you would have succeeded where even S-P seems to have failed!

S-P - lankA was so well hidden and gaurded, that even the gods had not seen it - they'd only heard of its fabulous wealth and opulence; but hanumAn being who he was, was able to penetrate into such a place and 'find' sItA....

n_anush

Post by n_anush »

thanks a lot to shankarji, lakshmanji and enna solven. Thanks for the help friends,

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I recently heard this kRti in behAg from Sri DKJ. Did he tune it to behAg? Apparently, there is yet another version in mukhAri (wonder whose version that is) - if so, this kRti is performed in bhAgESri, vasantA, behAg, and mukhAri....

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Meaning is awesome - thanks.
Why is Sita refered to as the one who came to give us Brahma? Can't understand that part?
Also Sita is in Lanka where still Lakshmana has not arrived yet - then how come Lakshmana made the parnasalai in Lanka where Hanuman says he gave Sita the signet ring ?? Confusing

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vishNu = brahmA's father (as brahmA arose from the lotus in vishNu's lotus, brahmA is sometimes considered vishNu's son)...therefore, sItA (lakshmi) = brahmA's mother

According to kamba rAmAyaNa (the version that kavirAyar follows), rAvaNa carried away the parNaSAlai (built by lakshmaNa in pancavaTi) with sItA inside...he did not touch her...
Last edited by rshankar on 19 Apr 2018, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

rshankar wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 16:11 vishNu = brahmA's father (as brahmA rose from the lotus in vishNu's lotus, brahmA is sometimes considered vishNu's son)...therefore, sItA (lakshmi) = brahmA's mother
Thanks but looks like there is more to this

According to kamba rAmAyaNa (the version that kavirAyar follows), rAvaNa carried away the parNaSAlai (built by lakshmaNa in pancavaTi) with sItA inside...he did not touch her...
Wow! This is so informative - most of the versions including paintings show Sita in distress and struggling in the Pushpaka vimana troubled by Ravana