rAgamAlika in film songs

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
ganeshkant

rAgamAlika in film songs

Post by ganeshkant »

There are many good rAgamalika songs in film music and also poorly composed ones.

If Adhisaya rAgam is a good one with Mahati and Bhairavi (my favourite one) I can’t tell the same about Ezhu svarangaLukkuL .I can’t even accept the least relish the sequence of rAgas – PantuvarALi,Ranjani,Sindu Bhairavi and kAmbodi.Nevertheless vAnijairAm bagged National Award for this song but MSV was rightly ignored.The climax song ‘kELvinayakanE’ is slightly better one.

For the other songs by MSV, I consider “ SivakAmi AdavandhAl’from PAttum Bharatamum a good one starting with Amrita Varshini and proceeding with ragas like mohanam,charukesi,etc.There are other beautiful songs in this film like mAnthOraNa vEdhiyil and my favourite Deivaththin thEreduthu in Ahir Bhairav.

Going back SMS (S.M.SUBBIAH NAIDU) has composed good rAgamalika songs like “chenthamizhe vanakkam’-the title song in NAdodi mannan by TMS,I think it starts with Arabhi and the other one “koduppadhilA inbam eduppadhilA” by SirkAzhi GR,I think starts with Hemavati,(a bit unsure here) is a very good one.

The best rAgamalikas of all time will be “chinnamchirukiliyE and ellAm inbamayam’ from Manamahal by C.R.SubbarAman.

I think ARR’s ‘achcham achcham illai’ from Indira is a good one which is well conceived and executed.

KVM has a lot of rAgamalikas to his credit – orunAl podhuma,Arupadai veedu konda,etc.But his bad one is I think KalviyA selvamA vEramA.

There are songs where the last line of the charanam is changed to add certain color to that song.KVM has done this in many songs like ‘unkannil neer vazhindhAl’ – is it the inclusion of Hindolam here . A beautiful composition.
Similarly ‘nErukku nERai varattum’from Meenava NanbaN(by MSV) –This song is in Sudhdha DhanyAi but for the last line in charanam which is in kApi.

SVV’s immortal composition from Irumbu thirai – ‘nenjil kudiyirukkum’ in Shanmukhapriya and KalyAni (TMS & P.LEELA) is my all time favourite.

There will be much more.I may continue later.
Last edited by ganeshkant on 15 Mar 2011, 14:12, edited 2 times in total.

gobilalitha

Re: rAgamAlika in film songs

Post by gobilalitha »

A beautiful analysis, as sweet as the songs

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

'tIsulAvudE' (Jikki and Ghantasala) is a rAgamAlika with the same set of rAgas as the original (and vastly superior) 'kuhu kuhu bOlE kOyaliyA' (Lata and M. Rafi)

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

G.Ramanathan's kAthiruppan kamalakkannan and mAsilAnilavE nam kAdhalai.

IR's mAnjolaikilidhAnO - (shudha dhanyAsi and kharaharapriya)from kizhakkE pOhum rayil ,nAdhavinodhangalL natana santhoshangaL from Salangai oli

are some of the good ones.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ravi: I read that the original is not the Hindi one but this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUyowdaw2A

(Hayi Hayiga Aamani Saage, Suvarna Sundari, Ghantasala, Jikki )

The tamil version is by SusIla and Ghantasala .

I am with you that the Hindi version is superior. Lata carries the load there and sings the heck out of that song.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

"KaNNan kavil paravaidhu" from 'Akka' by MSV and sung by vAni JairAm is a decent rAgamalika.It starts with Hamsadhwani which I remember.This has ragAs like DhanyAsi,BehAg,etc.

"Muthu pandhal rathina oOnjalil Adum kalaivANi"from 'Thodi rAgam' by Kunnakudi.A duet by TNS-S.JANAKI is a good one that has rAgas - Ranjani,bAgeshri and rEvati.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

These 2 songs from 'kandukonden kandukonden'.

1.Enge enadhu kavithai - Sindhu Bhairavi & LatAngi
2.Kannamoochi EnadA - Nattakurinji & SahAnA.

Both are good with enchanting lyrics.It gives you happiness to play a bit of hide & seek with your beloved.Is it not ?

I recd.this SMS from a contact yesterday.

"Perfect relationship is not in phone calls or messages.It is the silent smile in your heart when U think of Ur lovable ones.U be the one among them.Good day..."

How true !

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Just remembered this song from the film "Agathiar" - ' ventridiven nAdhaththAl ' a beautiful array of rAgAs.
sung by TMS & SGR. Is there any rAgam by name 'ManOlayam'.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ganeshkant wrote:1.Enge enadhu kavithai - Sindhu Bhairavi & LatAngi
2.Kannamoochi EnadA - Nattakurinji & SahAnA. Both are good with enchanting lyrics.It gives you happiness to play a bit of hide & seek with your beloved.Is it not ?
I am sure both AR Rahman and Rajiv Menon will be thrilled to hear that!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

YES they were very pleasing melodies

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

There is some thing common in between

Muthukuliika vAreehalA - Anubhavi rajA anubhavi and

Uyire uyirE unnai ennodu kalandhuvidu - Bombay

yes.both have HarikAmbOdhi and CarukEsi interwoven.A unique rAgamAlika.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Just remembered this one from 'Adhi Parashakthi'.

NaanAtshi seidhu varum naan mAdakkkoodalilE meenakshi endra peyar enakku - Ananda Bhairavi,Saranga,...
Beautifully composed by KVM and rendered by PS.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I love the sArangA part of the song---
Ar enrum nadi enrum oDai enrAlum adu nIr ODum pAdai tannai kurikkum
UrmAri, karumAri, urumAri onrE OM Sakti ena uraikkum!

IIRC, another piece of delectable sArangA (?), this time from the golden voices of P. Leela and AM Rajah is from missiammA:
AMR: pEyANDi tannai kaNDu nI yENDi mOham koNDAi?
pengaLukkazhagAmO?
And then, there is a lovely segment of swaras by Leela, after which she sings:
PL: nAyAi alaindu tAi mAmam tEDi vandAn
OyAda kurumbai kaNDu tIrAda kAdal koNDEn....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Manolayam - a beautiful scalar ragam janya of MMG(15)
S R M P D S' /S' N D P M R S

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

CML,
Thanks for the grammar of Manolayam.I have not heard any songs in this ragam.Probably you may compose and post a song here.My request.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Visit
http://www.kaumaram.com/audio_k/grtp0616.html
to listen to Guruji Raghavan and group rendering a beautiful Thiruppugazh in Manolayam..
The rhythm is exhilarating.
Note that Manolayam is a scalar raga with a limited scope for elaboration.
Try a composition yourself and post in our kavithai section....

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

CML,

I am unable to get the song from the link.Any way I go the site and try.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You should be able to hear through the imbedded player.
You can also download a zip file of the song as mp3...

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

'ThirumAl perumaikku niharEdhu' is a lively raga mAlikai with rare rAgas(for film songs) like bEgadA,dhanyAsi,etc.For parasurAma avatAram KVM has tastefully used Paras.
Last edited by ganeshkant on 09 Jun 2011, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ganeshkant wrote:'ThirumAl perumaikku niharEdhu' is a lively raga mAlikai with rare rAgas(for film songs) like bEgadA,dhanyAsi,etc.For parasurAma avatAram KVM has tastedfully used Paras.
What movie is this from? A link?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

rshankar,

That song is from the film " ThirumAlperumai"

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Thanks PB.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

There is also MadhyamAvati,Surati,sree,kAnadA,khamAs,sAramathi,mohanam,sAranga in this song'ThirumAl perumaikku...'.An excellent composition.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Another excellent rAgamAlika is this song in "sampoorna rAmAyanam"where rAvanan answers questions musically.An excellent rendition by C.S.JeyarAman and great imagination by KVM.

I don't know how many of you know that this song was recorded initially sung by none other than Madurai Somu on the behest of Sivaji Ganesan who was a great fan of him.He also sang 'indrupOi nALai vArai".For some undisclosed reasons Somu's version was recorded over by CSJ in the rAgamAlika and the scene was shot.But the director wanted to keep the other song as sung by Somu.But Somu clearly told the director either it is both songs or none.The rest U all know.

In the film 'pAsavalai' this song "anbinAlE uruvAgum inba nilai' comes in 2 rAgams i.e on the titles it is Kharakharapriya and the same song comes in HindOlam in a scene much later.There is another song in Shuba pantuvarAli ' also rendered by CSJ.U all must hear that.He will melt you.Excellent muisc by VR.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

For the first time I heard a film song in ragam "NAsika bhUshaNi" from the film 'pAsa kiLihaL' sung by Madhu Balakrishnan & muisc by VidyAsAgar.Not bad.o.k.The name of the rAgam appears in the song.The song starts with a mini AlApanai.

srinivasanmail

Post by srinivasanmail »

I think most of you are missing one excellent film Karnan wherein MSV has played his imagination very well with TMS, SGR, PBS and TL in the RagamAlika song sequence starting with Mannavar...by TMS, Mazhai Kodukkum...by SGR, nANichchivandhana...by TL and Enna KoduppAn...by PBS. Finally all of them singing together the beautifully rendered Ayiram KarangaL Neetti...

TMS singing in Raga MOhanam, SGR in HindOLam, TL in KAnadA, PBS in HamsAnandi and finally all of them in ChakravAgam (am I right?)

Karnan film has a lot of beautiful songs in various rAgAs like, Ananda Bhairavi, AmeerkalyANi, KaraharapriyA, HamsanAdam, Sudhdha DhanyAsi, ChakravAgam, etc. Good for even repeated listening.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yes.Agreed ur views on karnan songs.But "iravum nilavum.." is in shyam-kalyan (as told by Kumbakonam Gopinath).Some say as 'shudh sarang' also.But that is not defenitely Hamsanadam.

srinivasanmail

Post by srinivasanmail »

Of all the songs I like the song 'ellAm inba mayam' in MaNamagaL, very beautifully rendered by MLV and P Leela. Both Padmini and Lalitha did very well in acting. The song sequence was shot very well with T.S.Balaiah as Music Teacher.

C.R.Subbaraman did a very good job on the TALam. The swara patterns were intricately woven to start the pallavi at 'inba mayam' The 'eduppu' is 3 aksharams (THA KI TA) after the ring finger in Adi TALam. Excellently performed by the entire group. I have heard only positive reviews from everybody who listened to this song. Actually many people later started singing this song as a challenge on stage. Notably Sudha Raghunathan and Nithyashree Mahadevan (See YouTube). With technology not so much advanced in those days, I wonder how they were able make song shooting like this without blemish! Nowadays we have all the audio and video SW to correct mistakes.

srinivasanmail

Post by srinivasanmail »

Continuing my previous post (#29)

The song Ellam Inba Mayam can be accessed at the following URL in YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn4gJSPJvjU

The same movie "MaNamagaL" has the other Ragamalika song Chinnanchiru KiLiYE
and can be accessed at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfTHdyB-qFA

This song has the ending in Raga Neelamani. This is the same raga that K.V.Mahadevan used in the movie Thillaanaa MohanaambaaL for the song "Nalam Thaanaa?" What a beautiful song?

I have a question.

There is a song "Nilave nee intha sedhi sollaayo?" by TMS and I think P.Leela in the movie PattiNaththaar.

Please use the following URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfTyz7JxHnw&NR=1

I think the Raga is Nadhanamakriya. Am I right?

I haven't heard this raga in any other movie song. But I have a recording of Ramayana song written by Papanasam Sivan in 24 ragas: "Kosalai Pudhalvanai Arivaay maname". There is one stanza in Nadhnamakriya raga: "Anai irunthu arasaaLum Mandabaththil..." The entire song was sung by SGR with such a beautiful voice!

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yesterday (15/08) Listened these songs in AIR.

1.PArukkuLLe nalla nAdu - KappalOttiya Tamizhan - GR/SGR - JOnpuri,mAnd & hamir kalyAni
2.veeramundu vetriundu - Madhurayai meetta sundarapandian - MSV/TMS - SudhasAveri & darbAri kAnada
Both the songs were excellent.

I think the song nilavE from PattinathAr is in MMG.There is also a beautiful song in GowrimanOhari in this film starting from the lower octave.Srinivasamail,do u know the starting ?

Any idea about the rAgas in SindhunadhiyinmisainilavinilE from Kaikodutha Deivam.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

srinivasanmail wrote:I have a question.
There is a song "Nilave nee intha sedhi sollaayo?" by TMS and I think P.Leela in the movie PattiNaththaar.
Please use the following URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfTyz7JxHnw&NR=1
I think the Raga is Nadhanamakriya. Am I right?
First off, thank you for that link - I have been searching for this for ages now. I thought the rAga was MMG...since nAdanAmakriya is a janya rAga of MMG, I guess it does sound like nAdanAmakriya in portions. People better at it than I am can correct me if I am wrong.

srinivasanmail

Post by srinivasanmail »

This is the link for the PattiNaththaar Movie songs

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/#/album ... thar__1936_/

Don't worry if it is listed as 1936 movie. That must be a mistake. We get TMS songs there.

The song you are requesting in the Raga GowriManohari is by TMS "Kaappathun Baaramaiah" It's a wonderful song.
I think it's listed as 8th song under the title Enseyalavathu. As soon as you click to play the song, wait for a minute or so and the song Kaappathun Baaramaiah will start.

Thanks!

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Just listened to this song from the film "ThulAbhAram".Music by dEvarAjan sung by TMS - PS.
'sangam valartha tamizh' in chenchuruti & puunAgavarAli.A beautiful composition soulfully sung by the duo.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Nilave nee intha is Mayamalavagowla only. Not Nadanamakriya.

ravichitrapu

Post by ravichitrapu »

many of these films /songs may have been remade in telugu (or dubbed?). Could someone please give the telugu equivalents of the above compositions. thanks.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today heard this song after a long time in radio.
"sanga thamizh kaviyE" from the film 'manadhil urudhi vEnDum' - IR / KJ Y & SJ - bhimplAs & chandrakauns.
I especially liked the line ' nee varum padhayellAm angangE pArvayai ODa vittEn' - must be Vairamuthu.
A beautifully composed and sung song.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

The above song has the first charanam in bAgEshree it looks like.So that makes it a total of 3 rAgams.

naarayanan

Post by naarayanan »

all the songs in 'manadhil urudhi vendum' are by vaalee.

http://ragasinfilmmusic.blogspot.com/se ... A%20MALIKA

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

mahArajapuram SanthAnam sings for S.V.Subbiah in the film 'rOshakkAri'.AzhwAr pAsurams in bowli and valaji.Very melodic and soulful rendition.

Sundar Krishnan

Post by Sundar Krishnan »

30/4/12

Somewhat related to this topic of identifyiing the Ragam, is also my Posts 20 and 21 in :
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5925 - dt 19th and 20th Apr, 2012.

Since I haven't received any response in that Thread for quite some time, I searched through rasikas website for a similar topic, and found 2 Threads - one of them is this thread.
I would request members to pl have a look into those songs - I have provided Youtube links for all the songs (mostly Malayalam Songs, sung by Yesudas).

Would it have been better had I posted the above 2 Msgs in "Sahitya & identification requests" Subtitle, {or, a new Topic in "Light Classical" - I doubt this alternative though} ?

In fact, I have an updated list with some more of such Film songs, for which I would like to have the Ragam(s) identified.

Thanks in Advance (TIA).

Sundar Krishnan

Post by Sundar Krishnan »

3/5/12

Some yrs ago, I had downloaded the foll as pdf files :

Now, these are available as images ! :

http://www.scribd.com/writerhari/d/4856 ... -and-Ragas

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10515966/Raag ... 1250-Songs