Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
venu sundar

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL,
PLEASE PUBLISH THIS IN YOUR EVENTS COLUMN OF 1ST MAY ADYAR TIMES!
SUBJECT
CHITTI-MMI--GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!I
SPEAKERS-S/S KRA NARASIAH,SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN IPS ,SRI KO SELVAM AIR Rt
VENUE VIDYYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 5-30 PM MAY 1ST SUNDAY 2011
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527 0675&Kuppusamy nephew GUHAN PH 2452 0675

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Balummi wrote:Dear all ,
Please follow the link below to download Ayodhya Mandapam Concert 1964

http://www.mediafire.com/?e999kxo6x97b9
One of the underestimated aspects is the vocal support of TS Vembu Iyer. In terms of vocal support, very melodious - perfect sruthi, not singing thru' every sangathi in detail, but filling the gaps beautifully, that requires terrific anticipation. a couple of examples @ 33 sec or @ 40 sec of Sree RangapuraVihara ... I understand Musiri had high praise for TS Vembu Iyer.

BTW, I also love the vocal support of Maharajapuram santhanam for Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer.
The contrast is Santhanam sings the krithi - MVI sings all the ornamentation sangathis for the krithi; for e.g. in Orajupu (kannadagowla) the way, MVI sings Neerajaksha Manu...

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

CHITTI-MMI--GUHAN REMEMBRANCE DAY!I
SPEAKERS-S/S KRA NARASIAH,SRI CL RAMAKRISHNAN IPS ,SRI KO SELVAM AIR Rt
VENUE VIDYYA VILASAM NO 9 THIRD CROSS ST DR RADHAKRISHNAN NAGAR
TIRUVANMIYUR CHENNAI 41 Behind AXIS BANK &AIRTEL SASTRINAGAR
TIME 5-30 PM MAY 1ST SUNDAY 2011
EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 45 MINUTES
MUNCH HIGH TEA &SNACKS

CONTACT VENU S/O CHITTI CELL 98413 13527 0675&Kuppusamy nephew GUHAN PH 2452 0675

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Monthly MMI meet - Address

Renganathan E N
#4/4, Kumudh Apartments (1st Floor, Road-facing entrance)
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 900 302 7857
When
Sat APRIL 30TH, 6pm – 8pm
Where
MMI centenary celebrations monthly listening session

ananthnagarajan

Post by ananthnagarajan »

Dear Balummi, VKV:

My name is Anantharaman Nagarajan and this is my first posting on this site. I keenly follow all postings on this site.

I started listening to Carnatic Music because of Madurai Mani Iyer. It began with a cassette my IIT batch mate gave me. It had Orajoopu, Kaapali, Parimala Rangapathe and Thaye Yeshodha.

It also had a somewhat static-ridden recording of Mariveradikkevarayya Rama in Shanmugapriya. This seems to be an isolated piece taken from a concert somewhere. It is by far the best rendering of Shanmugapriya I have heard - with an elaborate Alapana, neraval (they talk about his swaras, but they should listen to this neraval) and easy paced, very smooth swara kalpana. I would rank this masterpiece even ahead of MMI's own RTP, "Mahatma Mani Mozhi Vazhi Nadappom".

In any case, both of you must have a treasure trove. Would it be possible at all to get a hard copy from you? Please let me know.

Thank you very much for spreading the music of this wonderful vocalist, which has really transcended time. I was born much later after he passed away, I have only heard anecdotes about him from my father, but, I listen to his music pretty much every day. I owe a lot to Shri MMI for adding such a delectable dimension to my life.

Regards,
Anantharaman N.

ananthnagarajan

Dear Balummi, VKV:

Also, is it true that his repertoire of kritis was limited? I can vouch for the fact that he has sung numerous ragas, but it does appear that in each raga, he sings one or two kritis repeatedly. Of course, I cannot conclude this just based on my limited set of recordings.

Both of you have listened to numerous concerts by MMI. How rich was his repertoire of kritis?

Thanks a lot,
Anantharaman N.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Anantharaman ,
Your postings in these columns are interesting . Questions about MMI's reportire
which many rasikas ask , if Iam not mistaken , is like asking whether Albert Einstein knows any other theory other than the Spl. and General theories of Relativity and ofcourse the Photo electric effect in Physics . We should put these questions only to a budding Vidwan and not to a recognised Genius like MMI . Even Saint Thiagaraja might not be ablle to recognise ,while he was alive,his own compositions composed years earlier!
He had himself said and also confirmed by Dr. SAK Durga who was his desciple for 12 years that he had been singing only rare compositions in rare ragas and never ragas like Thodi or Khamboji in his early years and repetitions also were very rare . His audience were thinning out during each concert and my father who had been to his concert in Tripplicane in early 30's there were only 9 rasikas when the concert
ended ! And it was only later on he learnt that people liked only Gana Ragas and also they want only a particular composition in those ragas from him . Subbudu , the music writer , had once told and it actually happened in Delhi that as soon as the concert started , MMI could not sing even a single request from the list of songs that he (Subbudu) suggested as numerous requests by way of mouth , paper bits , VIP requests etc were poring in to sing Kaana Kann Koti , Ka Va Va , Eppo Varu , Ma Janaki etc. etc. This clearly suggests that general public wanted only those kritis that he was famous for and never deviate from that list !
I have nearly some 160 concerts of MMI and had uploaded many suggesting the links in these columns . Did you not find them? I am unaware of your place of residence and E Mail address so that I can try to send using send space.com . My email address is simply balummi@gmail.com
Thank you
Balu Mama ( as many call me)

ananthnagarajan

> And it was only later on he learnt that people liked only Gana Ragas and also they want only a particular composition in those ragas from him.

That makes a lot of sense, particularly at a time when recordings were scarce. For many rasikas, the only way to listen to a Vidwan's music was in concerts.

I have sent you an email about the recordings to balummi@gmail.com

Thank you very much,
Anantharaman N.

ananthnagarajan

Another complete masterpiece is Vinayakuni in Madhyamavathi. I have a recording from Sangeethapriya, which imho is the best rendition of Madhyamavathi - Raga, Krithi, Neraval and Swaras. Listen to his nerval in "Anaada Rakhaki Kaamakshi"! My father told me he sang this Krithi in Bangaru Kamakshi Amman Koil in Thanjavur (which is where I did all my schooling).

For some reason, Marivere (Shanmugapriya) and this Kriti are not talked of as much as many of his other popular krithis.

ananthnagarajan

My father recalls this particular concert in Thanjavur Bangaru Kamakshi Amman Koil. The temple is near the intersection of West Main Street and North Main Street. Both streets were filled up with people and after sometime one couldn't even go near the kuthery mandapam. Having grown up near this place, I can easily relate to my father's account.

He always says, "Enda Vidwan Eppadi vena paadattum. Kootam venumna, Madurai Mani thaan." According to him, "Madurai Mani was the single greatest crowd puller. Pundits, laymen, even Britishers used to swarm his concerts".

cacm

Post by cacm »

ananthnagarajan wrote:Dear Balummi, VKV:

Also, is it true that his repertoire of kritis was limited? I can vouch for the fact that he has sung numerous ragas, but it does appear that in each raga, he sings one or two kritis repeatedly. Of course, I cannot conclude this just based on my limited set of recordings.

Both of you have listened to numerous concerts by MMI. How rich was his repertoire of kritis?

Thanks a lot,
Anantharaman N.
Dear A.N.,
I can assure you that MMI was considered to have the LARGEST repertoire among Musicians of his time. Having personally discussed with him myself I can clearly state that what he sang & what is available is a mere fraction of the songs he knew. I can say with CONFIDENCE that he did not render a majority of them because he chose 10-12 songs each year for his public concerts & made it a point to render particularly 3-4 each year to popularise. As EVERY song he sang became HIS essentially there were requests for those songs. As he TRULY lived for his Rasikas he always obliged. That why it would appear that he repeated certain songs.
REG. AVAILABILITY speaking for myself I will be delighted to share everything I have- it is very vast indeed-; If you write me at vkv@juno.com I can see how you can get copies of them. You can ask balummi also. Regs, VKV

ananthnagarajan

VKV sir, thank you very much for your kind response. I have sent you an email to vkv@juno.com

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Monthly MMI meet - Address

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 900 302 7857
When
Sat MAY 28th, 6pm – 8pm
Where
MMI centenary celebrations monthly listening session
venu sundar

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Sri Madurai Mani Iyer's
Classical Nusic

Date

28/05/2011 SATURDAY

Time

6.oo P.M. to 8.00P.M

Venue:

Sri EN Ranganathan's Residence
4/4 Kumudh Apartments,
Lakshmi Puram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
CHENNAI 6000 14
(Near Music Academy)

Light refreshments arranged

Please acknowledge receipt of this invitation
and
ATTEND THE SESSION WITHOUT FAIL.

S.Venugopalan

cacm

Post by cacm »

I am VERY HAPPY& PLEASED that OPPORTUNITIES to listen to the divine music of MMI is being provided with the initiative of S.Venugopalan, E.N.Renganathan & Yessel Narasimhasn.
It is a great SERVICE to Carnatic Music & the memory of the immortal MMI who showed us the BEST in our culture&music as an individual as well as a Professional is a very INSPIRING DEVELOPMENT for me & others who came into contact with MMI.
The least we can do is to perpetuate their memories in suitable fashions. I am very proud of this group for their service. In doing these kinds of things we are HONOURING the BEST in ourselves, our past, present& future. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

I thank S/S VKV SIR AND CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR for all the guidance and inspiration.But I am greatly DISAPPOINTED that NONE of our rasikas ack such an effort of listening to MMI Monthly Seession in spite of several reminders.My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.
Pls See the attached invite seperately.WE NEED TO GATHER AND BRING BACK MMI TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION>PLEASE RESPOND RASIKAS!

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

venu sundar wrote:I thank S/S VKV SIR AND CLEVELAND SUNDARAM SIR for all the guidance and inspiration.But I am greatly DISAPPOINTED that NONE of our rasikas ack such an effort of listening to MMI Monthly Seession in spite of several reminders.My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.
Pls See the attached invite seperately.WE NEED TO GATHER AND BRING BACK MMI TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION>PLEASE RESPOND RASIKAS!

futile efforts Sri Venu. Current crop is more attracted to the monkey and snake songs. Play that and see the differnce. Your street where these meets are held will be jam packed with rASIKAs dancing to the tune :)
If I am in channai I will be there to be part of gathering listening to the divine music of Sri MMI

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I totally agree with musicfan that present generation avoids listening whenever MMI is played and even a close relative of mine of younger generation who was very vocal in praising MMI did not listen to his concert and was talking all the time when I invited him to a new concert of MMI that I acquired . Even in recent days people are mad listening to the Super Singer programme of Vijay TV with the same vigour that I listen to MMI and we may be wrong in assigning superstar status to our MMI ! I am sorry to say that all the recent MMI concert listening programmes of MMI the listeners are all Senior Citizens! This reminds me of the comment by Mani Mama himself when in a conference after dinner was taking place in Calcutta , a new friend enters , " Is it Natesan , Please come . He is one of my closest bosom friends since my younger days and we talk about all matters under the sun and if I start singing , he would slip away from the place . He is not a stranger to our music and he can be seen in all the GN Sir's concert and had never listened to even a single concert of mine ."
Thank You
Balu

Purist

Post by Purist »

Playing of archivial recordings of yesteryear masters in sabha's or in private has never found sustained patronage.
I remember the Bangalore Gayana Samaj trying this about 20 odd years back and gave up for very poor response.
This doesn't in anyway takeaway the greatness of their music. We have to look this from a practical point.
Familiarity with music that is already available, cost and time of commuting and the sheer pain of traffic snarls
can put off anyone .... more so when it is a non live program. Venu Sundar don't loose heart just because rasikas
do not assemble every month.

viswanathmysore

Post by viswanathmysore »

My request to the rasikas to give the feedback and also COME and PARTICIPATE in the MMI Musical Eveninng that is hels every month the last Saturday in a permanent venue at Laxmipurm.

Though I am far removed from these activities , it would be worthwhile to feature more artists than one . Getting into an uncontrollable tizzy over one artist is a hallmark of my (old) generation. The current crop has a distaste for preconceived ideas being stuffed down their throat .
But I do love Madurai Mani Iyer . Wish I could have dropped in for one of these.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dear ALL,
I am very HAPPY to record that today evening MMIs Musical evening was a big SUCCESS since 40 FANATIC rasikas gathered and listened to MMI in rapt attention for 130 minutes in the MOTTAI MAADI and it was very encouraging sign.Almost all of them heard MMIs live mostly in Kapali Temple and naturally majority of us are Senior Citizens even as per the norms of Income-Tax ie 65 years.The most welcome sign was there were about 5 youngsters of 20-30 age group too in spite of the reality of the situation that IPL finals between CSK and RCB was also there starting at 8PM.I am trying to drive home only one point.LET ALL OF US MMI MADDYS JOIN ATLEAST ONCE IN A MONTH TO LISTEN TO THE MAGICAL VOICE O MMI>I respect all the views but at the same time I am very CONFIDENT that by 2012 OCT 28 I can bell the praise of MMI into the ears of entire GLOBE!MMI died on June 8th 1968 even after 45 years MMI music lives ON!LET US JOIN TO LISTEN MMI!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The Mottai Maadi arrangement is not for MMI alone . It featured MDR , GN Sir and many others . Since this year happens to be the centenary celebration of MMI , we decided to play only MMI .Another reason being , only his recordings are available as large collections from many rasikas and MMI never put any restriction for recordings and invariable on many occasions the dias was full of taperecorders , I had myself seen , that he could reach the centre only with great difficulty!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer the musical genius of Carnatic Music died on 8th June 1968 mortally.But even today after 46 years of his death MMIs music lives in the millions of his FANATICS!MMI was perhaps like Sachin of cricket and Rajini of Silver screen in popularity in his living and non-living days.To quote an instance during the Navarahtri festival in the 50s and 60s in Mylapore@Madras@Chennai MMI used to draw very HUGE crowd and the entire audience used to be spell bound till the end of the concert which will be past midnight.At 12 midnight MMI will take up Sivans "KANA KAN KODI VENDUM" in KAMBODHI and the song will stretch up to 1 AM or so.When MMI used to sing KANDAN KARUNAI a song of late GUHAN the concluding lines of ANDAM VENDIDUM will be marked by the late Alangudi Ramachandrans throwing the GHATAM and Catching it!
It was a visual delight and the audience will become excited like Sachin hitting a 6 and winning the match>MMI was and will be the GREATEST!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

An account of Mani Iyer's last days as narrated by my late grandfather who was a close friend of Mani Iyer:

The last concert of Mani Iyer happened to be on 31st March 1968 at the Music Academy hall for Mylapore Arts Academy, after which many dates that were booked for his concerts got cancelled as his health was deteriorating at a fast phase. Till 1967 Iyer performed in all Rama navami series concerts at Ayodhya Mantapam, T.Nagar Griffith Road, Venus Colony etc. In 1968, He performed on January 12th for the IIT Music club as a part of their annual festival. That concert was recorded and is with many rasikas.

There was a radio concert in February which was recorded at his home where he sang Vathapi, Manasunilpa, Merivere, Jalanthara and Chakkani Raja and Virutham to the accompaniment of Govindaswamy Naicker, Murugaboopathy, Vinayakaram and T.N. Balappa (dolak). That happened to be his last radio concert. During April 1968, his rama navami concerts were cancelled and Shri T.V.Sankaranarayanan performed his debut at the Grifith road, T.Nagar with TNK, Vellore and Alangudi which brought him good name and fame.

My grand father Late Shri Ananthanarayana Iyer used to visit Mani Iyer frequently (atleast once a week) along with his other close friends like P.M.Viswanatha Iyer. Mani Iyer used to spend couple of hours talking them about music and other subjects enthusiastically. Shri Thiruvengad Jayaraman was already a renowned musician, had concerts and tutions but ensured to spend as much time with his guru to take care of him. During the month of May, MMI had a concert scheduled at Mylapore Fine Arts Club with Lalgudi Jayaraman as accompaniment but the concert was again cancelled in the last moment due to poor health. Lalgudi played solo on that day. Sukhi Evaro was played as a prayer for Mani Iyer's speedy recovery. But the heavens could not wait for any longer to hear the music of Mani Iyer. His fever got aggrevated and even his close friends could not meet him due to the strict orders of the doctor to arrest any further infections to Mani Iyer. My grand pa was very upset, but did not stop going till the gate of the house, just to know the status of his health. On June 8th, since there was no phone at our house, Shri Thiruvengad came to our house all the way to inform the passing away of Mani Iyer.

My grandpa went along with him and attended the funeral of Mani Iyer at Krishnampet. He recalled that many musicians who had come to pay their respect to Mani iyer could not stop weeping at the site of his body. He particularly recalled how Smt M.S.Subbulakshmi sat near Mani Iyer's sister and wept unconsolably. Mani Iyer was given as "aahudhi" to the almighty with Sandal woods as his pyre (such was the respect and devotion that Shri Vembu Iyer had on his Guru).

My father used to say that during 1960s MMI was the only carnatic musician who was well known to many non connoisseurs due to his frequent free public concerts. They all used to attend his kucheries and became his die hard fans. There were many people who became his fan after his death, after listening to his rendition of Majanaki and Sarasa Samadhana for the LP record that was released in 1967. The AIR external services paid a rich tribute to MMI on June 8th by playing many excerpts of his recording for the benefit of NRI rasikas. My father who was in Germany heard the news from BBC radio on Mani Iyer's passing away recorded the entire tribute program of AIR External services in his Grundig recorder.

AIR sincerely remembers June 8th as Mani Iyer's day even today(thanks to the regular reminders sent by Shri Egmore Balu sir during 80s and 90s by posting letters requesting Mani Iyer's music to be broadcasted on the 8th of June every year). The sad part is they are broadcasting only the same recording again and again though they have such a huge archive of MMI's numerous radio concerts.

Just wanted to recall the memory of the MahaVidwan and a Maha Purusha! Namaskarams.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Vishnu ,
MMI's last concert should have been for Music Club of Madras , not conncted with IIT . Because I was very much a student of IIT , Madras in 1968 and stayed in the postgraduate hostel , Kauvery . We , the 5 students of IIT with our leader Dr.S.Rangarajan , now a retired ISRO Scientist, were well known fans of MMI and nothimg could happen in the city connected with MMI without our knowledge! Sri MDR , then the professor of Vocal Music ,Central College of Carnatic Music was also a fan of MMI and we used to meet him on Thursdays. I used to request AIR to broadcast every 8 th of June a concert of him . I posted similar letters sometimes in Tamil also in the name of my friends and relatives from their addresses!
Balu

kapali

Post by kapali »

I was travelling in train between Bombay and Bangalore when I read the news item about MMI ' s passing away reported in the left corner of the front page of The Hindu with MMI's photo . My first reaction was 'when can I ever again hope to hear his unique style of soulful and touching rendering alapana, niravals and swarams". Among the many reader's mail tributes that appeared in the Madras Mail newspaper subsequently , one touching tribute was expressed by a reader who wrote that tears welled up in one's eyes whenever one hears his famous Kaanada swarams and then he continued when can he hear the like of it again.

ananthnagarajan

Hi,

I have kandasmaykoil-tnk-sivaraman-1962 vol1 and vol3. *But I do not have vol2*.

I was listening to the end of vol1, which has "Intha Para Mukham". And the neraval on "Silayo" ended mid-way. You can understand my disappointment!

Does anyone have vol2 of this concert? I will be really grateful, if you can upload it.

Thank you very much,
Anantharaman N.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananth
Pl. follow this link to download Vol 2 of the Kandaswamy Koil Concert
http://www.mediafire.com/?glqahbd35v1gn
Thank U

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Dear BaluMMI

Thanks.

Where can I get kandasmaykoil-tnk-sivaraman-1962 vol1 and vol3. Is it available on the net somewhere

R.Subramanian

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

The next session is on June 25, 2011.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857
S. Venugopalan: 98413 13527

The address of the venue where the monthly MMI listening session is happening is given below. I've also attached the route map. (though this is the permanent venue, providing address for couple of new invitees)

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Subramaniam,
Please follw this link to download the entire "Kandasamy Koil Concert of MMI with TNK and Sivaraman
http://www.mediafire.com/?glqahbd35v1gn

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Dear BaluMMI

Thanks for the quick response.
I have downloaded the concert.

Subramanian

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

BaluMMI Avl,
Many thanx for the link.

Thanjavooran 25 06 2011

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

During an interview on Sankara TV, Trichur Ramachandran mentioned about GNB - what a sariram, his voice can do whatever he thinks ....

The older vidwans like Chembai have mentioned that the only other vidwan who had such a sariram like GNB was Madurai Pushpavanam, the uncle of Madurai Mani Iyer.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

annamalai wrote:...
The older vidwans like Chembai have mentioned that the only other vidwan who had such a sariram like GNB was Madurai Pushpavanam, the uncle of Madurai Mani Iyer.
Which reminds me of a quote from somewhere that I can no longer recall Veenai DhanammAL on hearing GNB said he had a voice like MahAvaidyanAthasivan. If this quote is correct, it gives us an idea of how MVSivan might have sounded (though from all other evidence Sivan sang at 4 kattai, as was the practice in his time).

-Thenpaanan

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

In 1960's an elderly gentleman in our household used to talk about the great PANCHA VAITHIES of carnatic music for voice culture of his younger days . They included Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan , Konerajapuram Vaidyanatha Iyer , Peria Vaithi and Chinna Vaithi and the fifth one was certainly not Chembai ! If Chembai could not be clubbed with those great Vaithies , how great they should have been! Konerajapuram Vaithyanatha Iyer who lived in Thiruvidaimaruthur once visited Chennai Pattinam and thrilled the Mylapore audience singing a single raga for over five hours! The fifth Vaithi, if I remember correct, was Melatur Vaithyanatha Iyer whose desciple was Musiri Subramanya Iyer.

ananthnagarajan

Maa Ramanan by MMI

Does anyone have the complete rendition of Maa Ramanan by MMI? I was listening to GNB's version and I was reminded of a conversation with Thanjavur Kalyanaraman (GNB's disciple) in 90's. He told me that MMI used to sing it as well. I really want to hear MMI sing it ...

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananth I have a truncated recording of MMI singing Ma Ramanan . But the The radio recording was with lot of disturbances . I really want the same recording from some other source . Please follow this link http://www.mediafire.com/?xcc5n7xlfhkg4du

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

ear sangIthaprEmis
The next session is on AUGUST 27th SATURDAY.
madhura nEram - மதுர நேரம் 6pm to 8pm With SNACKS PL CONFIRM!

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

ananthnagarajan

Maa Ramanan by MMI

Thank you Balummi for uploading. Yes, the recording has a lot of disturbance - still I listened to it a few times.

You may have listened to MMI rendering this kriti in person. How often did he sing it in concerts?

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Ananth ,
I had listen to MMI singing Ma Ramanan only twice that too only in Tamil Isai festivals.
On one occasion he did a superb alapana followed by a splendid rendering of this composition of Sivan with scintillating swaras for about 30 minutes. After this rendering I immediately left the concert hall so that the
memory of this hindolam was fresh and I was recapturing it frequently till 4 am in the morning.
He rarely sang the compositions that were attributed to Sri GN Sir so that to avoid contraversies . Except Sarasa Sama Dana which was introduced in concert halls by GN Sir but popularised by MMI !

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Just as an aside on "Sarasa Sama Dhana"--this was simultaneously rendered in concerts by SSI,GNB besides MMI which was very rare in those days-i.e a piece that has become popular because of one Senior Vidwan being sung by his contemporaries as well. This led GNSir to mildly 'admonish me when I was an ardent rasikaa of all three that when one hears one artist render a piece one should enjoy it as it is being presented and not seek to compare it with how the other artist would sing the same piece and he used Sarasa Sam Dhana as an example==GNSir's brief raga alapana of Kapinarayani was a clinical beauty--MMI's swara prasthara and neraval(Hithamu mata) had its own unique charm and so was SSI's swara singing--each was unique in their own style.
As regards contemporary artists popularising GNSir's composiions, SSI has commented on one of the interviews in the Nineties that when he suggested to GNSir to sing his own composiions,GNSir replied that "if the compositions had wings they would fly meaning the public would accept it if they are good no matter who sang it and GNSir's own exposition of his pieces by themselves will not propel it towards popularity if the pieces did not deserve!! GNSir was truly humble.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

There are many, many artists who have mastered rendition of this krithi. In addition to the artists mentioned, I have particularly enjoyed the renditions of this krithi by TN Rajaratnam Pillai (the pathos he brings out is so beautiful) and Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer (Veena). GN Sir interpretation of Sarasa Samadana (Kapi Narayani) is quite different from the MMI version.

kapali

Post by kapali »

As an youngster, I was actually drawn in to the orbit of MMI's music once I heard his 'Sarasa Sama Dhana ' and Sukhi Evarro' and from then on it was a never ending journey of listening to his music

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM
From: "Venugopalan S" <esvee45@yahoo.co.in>View contact details
To: "mylaporetimes@ .com" <mylaporetimes@vsnl.com>
PLEASE PUBLISH IT IN YOUR EVENTS COLUMN!
The next session is on SEPTEMBER 24th SATURDAY.

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
Ph: +91 90030 27857MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014
MADURAI MANI IYER CENTENARY MONTHLY LISTENING SESSION1Friday, 16 September, 2011 9:26 AM

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

Renganathan E N
Lakshmipuram 1st Street,
Royapettah,
Chennai-600 014

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I'm trying to locate a concert where MMI sings Sahasrakara mandite, Mohanarama, a lovely Naradagana lola and a Bhairavi pallavi of mindnumbing creativity and laalithya. I had a 'double cassette' of this released by AVM bought around a decade ago but I seem to have lost it somewhere.Not able to locate it at any CD shops. Any ideas where i could find it? Its probably has MGP and PSP on the violin and mridanga

kapali

Post by kapali »

I also remember that casette. Especially the Hamsanandi swaras in the ragamalika swaras of the Bhairavi RTP referred by you are masterly and can we ever again hear such superb Hamsanandi swarams -a rare treat!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Kapali and Matterwaves
Are you talking about bhairavi RTP where swara ragamAliga is in Hamsadhwani,sahAnA and HamsAnandi , that is indeed finest of hamsAnandi where there was a long round of applause after MMI after a rightful pause :clap: , I will upload it here.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I have tried to upload the entire concert . Please follow this link http://www.mediafire.com/?n2cwc8f2pasop

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Thanks a ton balummi. this is a more exhaustive list than what the casettes had .A decade ago, i knew almost nothing about classical music beyond MS and BMK, my friend manasanayana dropped a few names i didn't know. I then bought this album of MMI and listened to it umpteen times but couldnt quite get it. It has taken me a decade of listening to really appreciate, though not the whole lenght, the greatness of the music made by the great masters. I can't thank enough, the puryevors of the digital revolution, becuase of whom the music of such greats will be for eternity