Vellore Shri Ramabhadran

Carnatic Musicians
arasi

Re: Vellore Shri Ramabhadran

Post by arasi »

I agree. Ramabhadran's playing is sukam, sowkyam.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

A different beat -an article about Vellore Shri. Ramabhadran :

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2011/03/30/stor ... 380100.htm

venkatakailasam

natakapriyan

Post by natakapriyan »

He is a good vocalist too and have heard him singing great Alapanas and niravals. May the great Human being and fine percussionist soul rest in peace.

Muthuraman

Post by Muthuraman »

Veteran Mridangist Sri.Vellore Ramabadhran is no more.....
Great loss to the field of Carnatic music.
Nadham, Soukhyam, Sarvalaghu....were his hallmark.
Especially his Accompaniment to Gaints like SSI, MMI would be etched in rasikas memory for ever.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Very sad news. He was 'saukhyam' personified and his unobtrusive playing is a very rare quality
to be seen in percussionists. May the noble soul rest in eternal peace.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Who are the performing disciples of Sri VR? I think this was asked by rajeshnat earlier in this thread but went unanaswered.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

.... a few words on a heartfelt loss @ http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Thanking you,
CPBlog Team

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CPBLOG
Wonderful really touching tribute of shri nAdabhadhran, also particularly very nice to hear chittibabu in veena.His touch just brings so much of sunaadam . Thank you.

Is there a VR with Madurai Somu/TRS/Voleti, I would love to hear this combination too. Oflate I am getting drowned with TRS and Voleti a lot

vintageaudio

Post by vintageaudio »

@rajeshnat- there are several concerts of Somu-VR combo in circulation

Here is a clip - Somu accompanied by Chandrasekaran_VR-Shyamsundar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkb7q7MH2zo

kalyani_ragam

Post by kalyani_ragam »

rajeshnat wrote:CPBLOG
Wonderful really touching tribute of shri nAdabhadhran, also particularly very nice to hear chittibabu in veena.His touch just brings so much of sunaadam . Thank you.

Is there a VR with Madurai Somu/TRS/Voleti, I would love to hear this combination too. Oflate I am getting drowned with TRS and Voleti a lot
Voleti, languid, VR -national pro of air main sankarabaranam (sankaracharyam) and varali (eti Janma)

Also check Sri vijayagopal's ul in sangeethapriya with mc and vr.

vR was a regular for voleti and one of vole ti's preferred mridangist.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Was listening to the 1962 Music Academy concert of Alathur Brothers with Papa Venkataramiah (Violin) and Vellore Ramabhadran (Mridangam). What a mridangam accompaniment - perhaps one of the best of VR I have heard. Usually, Palghat Mani Iyer had accompanied Alathur Brothers, but listening to VR is such a nice wonderful contrast.

Some of the best mridangam accompaniment concerts in my view are: Palani Subramania Pillai for Madurai Mani Iyer Sangeetha Kalanidhi concert; Trichy Sankaran for Semmangudi 1967 concert (which has Dayaleni Brathukemi, ...); CS Murugabhoopathy for Ramnad Krishnan Music Academy concert ( Karubaru, Abhimanamen, ...); Umayalpuram Sivaraman for DKJ (Sree Valli Devasenapathe, ...).

Interestingly, Vellore himself had mentioned about this Alathur Brothers concert in one of his speeches just before his demise.

cacm

Post by cacm »

There are so many concerts in which V.R. EXCELLED maybe we should discuss HIS BEST with each Major artist. For starters according to V.R. himself it all started with his replacement for Palani in MMI-T.C.-V.R.-A.R.1964 MUSIC ACADEMY CONCERT when PALANI fell ill & could not play. This particular concert is especially notable for the uptempo part with both MMI & T.C.( as well as A.R.) ENTHUSIASTICALLY urging & appreciating V.R. THROUGHOUT THE CONCERT. V.R. in his earlier concerts he used to play in P.M.I.& PALANI styles for part of the concert before playing in his own style. In this concert he starts off in Palani style maybe paying his own tribute to the GIANT before BRILLIANTLY makingthe WHOLE CONCERT one of the most memorable M.M.I. CONCERTS!......I consider myself very lucky to have known him & being educated by him.......V KV

varsha

Post by varsha »

A blast from the past
what an opening !!!!
what a finale !!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?e929ec1wvcbklo3

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A video (2 parts) of Vellore Ramabhadran sir playing in his elegant and simple manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGiHU4F86XY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF5X5KxwX_I b

The clarity of his strokes is amazing.

I once remember about 16 years ago a concert with Trichur Ramachandran where I heard VR live for the first time. That day he showed how the mridangam's harmonics could be played so richly that the sound of the mridangam merged into that of the tambura. The instrument of percussion became an instrument of sruthi for a while.

Christian Kenit Ram

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

These 2 videos were among the first mridangam videos I favourited in youtube during the last decade . I tend to revisit them from time to time because of their clarity and recently I highlighted the ending part in my notebook because it is one of the examples where the standard Mohra is played with some little twists to make it a little bit different , notably with offbeat " Talan-ga dum " s .

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

One of the close relatives of Sri Vellore Ramabhadran wanted to know the details of where a documentary taken on the sarvalahgu style of playing by Sri Vellore Ramabhadran would be available.
If the documentary is available in the public domain, I request you may share the link here.