thAmathamen swami (Tamil song) in Thodi

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Request for lyrics for this tamil song & later meaning also. Many thanks in advance.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

tAmadam En. rAgA: tODi. Adi tALA. Composer: P.Shivan.

P: tAmadam En svAmi tamiyEnukkaruL sheyya tArakam vEru yArayya svaaminAthA
A: bhUmi maNavALanum pUvil vaLar ayanum
purandaranum paNi aravinda sharaN paNindum
C1: pAvaiyar maiyal mEvi panjupadu pADu paTTu mati kEDaDaindu-mA bhAva vinai uDal mEvi nin aruL
paTrizhandu idayam nondadE AvalODu un aruL mEvavenru manam Ashai koNDu migha vADudE
shEvalOdu kadir vEl aNindu en uLam sAla magizha mayil mElil vara innamum
2: pOdum pOdum indap-puzhu malap-piravi pOdum pOdum ari piraman vAzhvum ini pOdhm un tiru viLaiyAttum annai karu vAsam enadu tiNDATTam Edu inimEl porukka muDiyAdu karuNai puriyAdu ennuDanE ivvAdu unakku udavAdu sogusuDanE mAdu iruvar maruvum mAl maruganE innum
3: candra bimbamukham Arum Ariru kaTAkSamum varai mArbamum miLir sakthiyum abhaya varada angaigaLum caraNAmbujamum kANaven bandham nIru paDa vandu kAtSi adu
tandaruL paraman maindanE santam iladeninum rAmadASan kavi sondam enavE sevi Erkkum guhanE innum

Vaaraki

Post by Vaaraki »

P: Why the delay in saving/blessing this devotee? Who else is there as refuge oh Swaminatha (Muruga)?
AP: Even though ,Vishnu (Bhumi manavalan) , Brahma (puvil valar ayanum) and Shiva (purandaranum) bowed down to your lotus feet, why the delay. . .

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Manjunath,

Here you go. Corrections welcome!

Boy! You sure know how to pick these! 

P: tAmadam En svAmi tamiyEnukkaruL sheyya tArakam vEru yArayya svaaminAthA

Oh Lord (svAmI)! Why (En) this delay (tAmadam) to bless (aruL Seyya) me, a destitute person (tamiyEnukku)? For, but for you, who (yAru) else (vEru) my Leige (ayyA) will serve as my salvation (tArakam)[1] Oh svAminAthA.

A: bhUmi maNavALanum pUvil vaLar ayanum
purandaranum paNi aravinda sharaN paNindum

(Why this delay) even after I have worshipped (paNindum) you, at whose lotus (aravinda) feet (caraN) even the husband (maNALan) of bhU dEvI (bhUmi), aka vishNU, and the lord (ayan) who manifests (vaLar) in a flower (pUvil), aka brahmA, and Indra (purandaranum) bow down to.

C1: pAvaiyar maiyal mEvi panjupadu pADu paTTu mati kEDaDaindu-mA bhAva vinai uDal mEvi nin aruL
paTrizhandu idayam nondadE AvalODu un aruL mEvavenru manam Ashai koNDu migha vADudE
shEvalOdu kadir vEl aNindu en uLam sAla magizha mayil mElil vara innamum

My heart is now wilting/withering (miga vADudE)[2] burdened by the eager (AvalODu) desire (ASai koNDu) to be embraced/enveloped (mEva enru) by your (un) compassionate grace (aruL), especially since I realize how underserving I am: For have I have not suffered (pADu paTTu) like a wisp of cotton (panju paDu), buffeted by the strong currents of my desires (maiyyal mEvi) for women (pAvaiyar) that have polluted (kEDu aDaindu) my mind/heart (mat(d)i), and consequently, not only has my body (uDal) become host (mEvi) to the major (mA) ills (vinai) of this world (bhava), I have also managed to lose (paTrizhandu) your (nin) grace (arul), and my heart (idayam) has finally become weary (nondadE). But since I have repented, (why this delay) in coming (vara) to me on (mEl) your peacock (mayil), carrying (ODu) your rooster (SEval)-flag, and gleaming (kadir) spear (vEl), so that my (en) heart (manam) may delight (magizha) immensely (cAla)?

2: pOdum pOdum indap-puzhu malap-piravi pOdum pOdum ari piraman vAzhvum ini pOdhm un tiru viLaiyAttum annai karu vAsam enadu tiNDATTam Edu inimEl porukka muDiyAdu karuNai puriyAdu ennuDanE ivvAdu unakku udavAdu sogusuDanE mAdu iruvar maruvum mAl maruganE innum

Enough! enough (pOdum pOdum) of this (inda) life/birth (piravi) that is filled with doubts and confusion and is torturous, like that of a lowly worm (puzhu malai)[3]. Enough of this life (vAzhvu) on earth (maN) filled with faults (arippu) and forever begging and soliciting (ira)[4] for your grace. I am tired (ini pOdum - time to stop) of your incessant toying (tiru viLaiyATTu) with me, and the endless cycles of birth (annai karu vAsam - residence in the womb of a mother), and what of (Edu) my (enadu) miserable suffering (tiNDATTam)? I can't (muDiyAdu) tolerate (porukka) your refusal to shower (puriyAdu) your compassion (karuNai) on me anymore (inimEl). This (iv) argument (vAdu) that you have with me (ennuDan) is not going to be of help (udavAdu) to you (unakku), so why don't you give it up, give in with (uDanE) refinement (sogusu) as befits you, Oh nephew (maruganE) of vishNu (mAl) who is embraced (maruvum) by two (iruvar) women (mAdu - vaLLI and dEvasEnA)? (Why do you) still (innum) delay (in granting my desire)?

3: candra bimbamukham Arum Ariru kaTAkSamum varai mArbamum miLir sakthiyum abhaya varada angaigaLum caraNAmbujamum kANaven bandham nIru paDa vandu kAtSi adu tandaruL paraman maindanE santam iladeninum rAmadASan kavi sondam enavE sevi Erkkum guhanE innum

Please give me (tandaruL) that vision (kATsi) of yours, so that my (en) worldy ties (bandham) are destoyed (nIru paDa) even as I behold (kANa) your face (mukh(g)am) that is the veritable image (bimbam) of the moon (candra), with 12 (Ariru = Aru + iru = 2 times 6 = 12) eyes (kaTAKSamum) that console (Arum), your broad (varai - like a mountain) chest (mArbum), your famed (miLir) strength/power (Saktiyum), your palms (angaigaLum) that give the boon (varada) of fearlessness (abhaya), and your lotus-like (ambujam) feet (caraNamum), Oh son (maindanE) of SivA (paraman)! Aren't you the one, murugA (guhanE) who accepts/listens (Sevi Erkkum) to me, the poet (kavi) rAmadAsan, becasue you consider me (enavE) to be yours/your property (sondam), even if (eninum) my compositions lack (illAdu) prosody (santam/candam)? If so, why are you still (innum) not gratifying my desire?

Footnotes:

[1] tArakam – I think this literally means a vessel/boat on which we cross the river of life.

[2] miga is used to indicate extreme withering/weariness

[3] I have no clue what malai in puzhu malai means, but have translated it contextually.

[4] ari piraman vAzhvum – I have interpreted this to be aripu ira maN vAzhvum, and translated contextually.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Manjunath,

Thanks for introduing me to this composition - I was not familiar with it, but I have since downloaded Sri Kalyaraman's excellent rendition of this from sangeethapriya! THANK YOU!

And as I think about it, I think this kriti is unique, in that Sri Sivan seems to be 'apologizing' for poetry that was not upto mark (candam illAdeninum)!

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Lakshmanji- Thanks for the lyrics.
vAARAKI- Thanks for providing meaning.
rshankarji- Thank U very Much for the detailed Word by Word Meaning.
THIS SONG HAS BEEN EXCELLENTLY SUNG BY THE GREAT GNB- Guruji of Sri Kalyanaraman

prashant

Post by prashant »

I am just amazed at how patiently and painstakingly you explain each of these difficult tamil songs, Ravi. Much appreciated!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Prashant,
He is dedicated!

arasi

Post by arasi »

tamiyEn=poor me (Ezhai)
tArakam can also mean ADAram (life support)
puzhu malap piRavi=worm ridden excrement of a life

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,

So my contextual take on puzhu-malap-piravi was not too far off, right?

Manjunath you are welcome!

Prashant, thank you! It is one of those 'learn as you translate' situations for me. I don't usually think of these issues, unless I try my hand at understanding the lyrics.
Last edited by rshankar on 27 Jun 2008, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Your dedication apart, what you say is true. We learn, refresh our memory and sometimes chance upon oft forgotten gems when we turn the pages in a book!

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

'apologizing' for poetry that was not upto mark (candam illAdeninum)!
rs,
it is not an apology - IMHO, this kRti is not meant for public display - these are personal correspondence between the composer and to Whom it is addressed. This comes in the category of Atma garhana - self depreciation.

It is in the same category of Thyagaraja Kriti - nAdupai palikEru narulu - madhyamAvati, which IMHO Thyagaraja would not, if he is alive, approve of singing by others.

Let us respect confidant and confidentiality.
Last edited by vgvindan on 28 Jun 2008, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Govindan,
I hear you. Let alone in a performance--songs of this kind are not suitable for singing in a gathering. What I do not understand is--how do such songs get included in a published collection? Did Sivan allow them or is it someone else's idea?
It is not that angst cannot be expressed in songs. Not at all. How it is expressed is the question. The theme is universal in say, 'tiruvaDi SaraNam enRu nAn nambi vandEn' which is equally vehement in the line 'maRupaDiyum karuvaDaiyum kuzhiyil taLLi' Yet, the pathos it elicits is profound. The philosophical content stands out.The song is not the listing of one's own failings and personal grieving. If a song does not evoke a sense of empathy, and elevates you to a higher plane of feeling, then one has to ask about the quality of the words contained in that song. I have no intention of questioning the merits of Sivan! He is one among of our great composers. He might not even have intended that this type of a song should be included in a collection of his compositions. Who knows?
After all, writers and composers jot down on scraps of paper, some of which may just have been scribblings...
Last edited by arasi on 28 Jun 2008, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rshankar wrote:I have since downloaded Sri Kalyaraman's excellent rendition of this from sangeethapriya!
Pl. provide this link for the benefit of rasikas. If someone has U/L GNB's rendition.........that would be a real treat for every one.

arasi - I am sure you would have heard the GNB's rendition ?
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 29 Jun 2008, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vs_manjunath wrote:Pl. provide this link for the benefit of rasikas. If someone has U/L GNB's rendition.........that would be a real treat for every one.
Manjunath:

Good suggestion! I have since found renditions by all of the famous disciples of GNB, but not one by the maestro himself, and I second Dr. Manjunath's request for an upload of GNB's if anyone has it to share.

Here goes:

SKR's rendition:

http://sangeethamshare.org/murthy/149-S ... PSivan.mp3

MLV's rendition:

http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLOADS- ... 5.33MB.mp3

TVR's rendition:

http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLOADS- ... 0.9_MB.mp3
Last edited by rshankar on 30 Jun 2008, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rshankar- I am just enjoying MLV's rendition as I am typing this. What a rendition!!! Full 23:18 CAPTIVATING Music. She has put more swarams compared to GNB. While playing the link in Windows Media Player"COLOMBO RADIO 1957" appears. Does this mean this MLV's record is so old- almost 51 Years ? or does it indicate Radio Company's Starting Year ? I DO HAVE THE RECORDED AUDIO CASSETTE of GNB. But I have not done this whole exercise of U/L from an AUDIO CASSETTE. If an easy way is available, I love to U/L.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 29 Jun 2008, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Manjunath
Thank you for bringing it up and Ravi, for the links.
I heard the beautiful renderings of both TKR and MLV.
Have I changed my mind? I don't know. Yes, in that I feel that I can enjoy listening to this song as much as I do when I listen to a varNam--ignoring some of the content! It is easy with a varNam because it comes automatically, out of habit. In most cases, the beauty of the musical structure in varnams, the essence of the rAgA, svarAs and layA in them obscure the sAhityA for me. Just as well, because I would not like to listen to most of them otherwise at the very start of a concert. An invocation is better, purely from the point of view of sAhityA.
Anyway, this song is a beauty, when it comes to the above mentioned reasons (as with a varNam of the erotic kind).

Reading words of a song and listening to it are two different things.
The pallavi and anupallavi sAhityam and the great way in which the rAgA rules, makes it very agreeable to listen to. Come the charaNam,
I don't know. The magic of the musical architecture still stays. but if you listen to the words carefully, I think, aren't there other tODi compositions to choose from? I also noticed that when they sang the charanam, there went on to the next line in a hurry as it were. The lines which follow are not the same as the emotive pallavi and anupallavi. I still feel it was the musical beauty of the piece which was appealing to the singers. When there are hundreds of songs in tODi with richer content, and several of Sivan's too, like kArtikEya gAngEya gowri tanayA, why did they choose to sing this? The beauty of the way tODi lives in this song, I suppose.
Another thing, Ravi. The whole song, mainly the charaNam is vibrant when it comes to performing it in dance. Of course, certain words would not work when it comes to abhinayam!
Well, I certainly enjoyed listening to the song.
Just as I wish for highly emotive content in a song, I also like to listen to most of PS's songs which are up there in the list of 'quality' songs...
Last edited by arasi on 30 Jun 2008, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

arasi- for most of the rasikas, the music is the one which attracts in the beginning,which makes us to hunt for the lyrics with an intention of humming/imitating the original song. The lyrical aspect will always takes the Second place. No point in singing a song if we don't know what does the lyrics actually mean ? I don't know how the composer could bring in the emotive aspect while blending both lyrics & music. At the first place, the right raga so on so forth. I totally agree with you reg the lyrics of this song and many other varnas. Why, the Whole GITA GOVINDA by Jayadeva is supposed to be in Shringara Rasa. Good that it's in Sanskrit & we mostly enjoy the melody aspect not caring much for the lyrics.

mohan

Post by mohan »

vs_manjunath wrote:Pl. provide this link for the benefit of rasikas. If someone has U/L GNB's rendition.........that would be a real treat for every one.
GNB's rendition is available here
http://sangeethamshare.org/murthy/116-G ... -20.10.07/

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ah! It was mis-spelled as tAmasamEn instead of tAmadamEn.

Thanks, Mohan!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Such liberties were taken about sAhityA in those days, but the substituted words meant the same. I am glad there are tapes and CDs which can be played again and again to get the words right. The younger generation will not have a clue otherwise about old fashioned words, I think. That is why your kainkaryam (service) is appreciated. On the other hand, there are those among performers who have a very good knowledge of tamizh.
Sometimes, it can be so because a link was labeled that way.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

On a general note, I want to express the following:

TRINITY have made CARNATIC MUSIC Divine. Thyagaraja's couple of songs in fact, indicate he had Lord Rama's darshan. Dikshitar's divine powers are well known (Amruthavarshini 's magic). Shyama Shastri's compositions( just one eg.:dEvi brova samayamide- Chintamani episode). Their compositions are the outpourings of a true devotee. Our music always elevates the mind into spirituality.

With this background, I don't know why our music is used for expressing Shringara Rasa ?

Probably, the composers could not use any other form of music as only carnatic music was available whose melody was well known. I may be totally wrong, I felt like writing these lines. That's all.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 30 Jun 2008, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Re: thAmathamen swami (Tamil song) in Thodi

Post by vs_manjunath »

Lakshmanji/rshankarji/PBala/Vkailasam/Esteemed fans of GNB - As none of the above URLs are working, can some one who have d/l this song sung by GNB or MLV or SKR,pl do upload from ur collection and do provide URL for the audio link .

Many thanks in advanve

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

vs_manjunath,
Check this GNB treasure!
http://www.dhingana.com/g-n-balasubrama ... ngs-search

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

PBala- Thank You Very Much !!!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

#405at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=400

Thamathamen swamy-RTP-thodi-raga-(Audio Provided by Shri Shivakumar...Carnatic Music Krithi Audio Archive...(3 seperate clips of the song/raga)
Alapana/tahanam/swarakalpana of the song were added...to make the full rtp..)
Composed by .papanasam Sivan..
Rendered by.. Shri GN Balasubramaniam....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4TAZBA00E

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Sri Vkailasam- Thanks for this modified u/l .
It appears that V Sethuramiah on Violin in Raga Alapana & Swara Portion( it does not appear as Chowdiah...U can Pl confirm)
TN Krishnan in Thanam

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

TRICHUR SRI V RAMACHANDRAN-tAmadamEn_svAmi-tODi......

PAPANASAM SIVAN RASIGAR MANRAM

@ NARADHAGANA SABHA MINI HALL ...TRICHUR SRI V.RAMACHANDRAN - VOCAL
SRI M.A.SUNDARESAN - VIOLIN
UMAYALPURAM SRIMALI - MRIDANGAM...courtesy...Shri.TVG

TRICHUR SRI V RAMACHANDRAN-tAmadamEn_svAmi-tODi.mp3 - 40.9 Mb