Raga phrases riding on consonant extensions

Rāga related discussions
cmlover

Re: Raga phrases riding on consonant extensions

Post by cmlover »

Rsachi
Sometimes even the word "coffee" can evoke tastes and emotions which do not corrrelate with the actual product :D
We are accessing different neural pathways of the brain in each case and memory does play tricks!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

CML, in the interest of preciseness and clarity let me nitpick. Officially, as per the link Keerthi provided about which you agreed, there is only one 'anuswara sound (M)'. Rest of the nasals are not Anuswara. Why are you then still using it in plural form like 'anuswarAs'?

That nitpick aside, I am confused about exactly how it is to be sounded. 'an after-sound, a nasal sound following a vowel' does not tell me much. Adding to the confusion is the rather categorical statement in that link that it is not sounded as the 'm' in 'Simha'. In what way, that is different from 'm' as we know it. Keerthi's examples are very understandable but they seem, at the outset, to be at odds with the statement that it is not same as 'simha'. Can one of you clarify exactly what that ONE official anuswAra sound is?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
Your nitpick is legitimate. Keerthi is going by the strict definition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anusvara
On the other hand I am using it as a synonym for the 'bindu' which is the usage in practice.
Strictly the sanskrit word 'anuswara' means 'after the sound' implying the nasality component.
There is no confusion as long as we understand the usage.
Would you prefer the use of 'bindus' ?
I am also confused at Keerthi when he stated that anuswara is not the same sound as in 'simha'!
It is transliterated as the m (with the dot below) which is usually sounded as 'm'.
I know anunasika is distinctly different.....

manikan7

Post by manikan7 »

Hi all... I was going through all of your comments.... I just want to give my opinion here... Just that we have rules where the Sandhi is put. And we have alabedai for the letters where vowels and consonants are extended.... We are used to extending the last letter and yes as all of you have given ample examples we extend the Mellinam and Idayinam Letters irrespective of their position..... The Ka Cha tha Pa and Ra which are in the Mei form are never in the last of the word without the following words starting in the Same sandhi.... the words which have two consonants like Ekkalathilum unnai maravamal.... We pronounce K less than that of normal K.... This is my opinion.... This may be the reason why we are not using the K C T P R in the stressing phrases... And the letter next to such consonants get more stress in meaning and the Song.... As for as other languages my knowledge is limited. So I request you all to enlighten the Intricacies......

Thanks,
Manikandan.S

thanjavooran

Re: Raga Characteristic phrases in consonant extension/movem

Post by thanjavooran »

Rsachi wrote: 01 Sep 2012, 16:24 May I also add that I think consonants involve the tongue and hence give structure (=laya), texture and inflection to vocal expressions. Hence all konnakol uses consonants. That also means vocals by far excel instrumentals in impact if not in sweetness or strength.

As I write this, I am listening to MMI+LGJ+PSP!
Enjoy konnakol. There are young experts besides the living legend Thiuchi Thayumanavar.

Very excited to kickoff MadRasana Unplugged Season 03 Check it out.

https://youtu.be/iurhjlBum0o

Thanjavooran
12 01 2018

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Without thinking, the consonant extensions that came to mind at once are in the pallavi of the song Sari Evvaramma in Bhairavi, by Syama Sastri. The extensions occur on the consonants /v/ and /m/

Definitely these extensions are strong raga phrases in a nutshell, but then which sangati is not?