iPhone app for sangeethapriya

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
vasanthakokilam

iPhone app for sangeethapriya

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I just saw at the sangeethapriya home page that they have an iPhone/iPad app now. Since I do not recall seeing the announcement here, I thought I will post that info
http://itunes.apple.com/app/sangeethapriya/id516625641

I tried it and it worked well for me. There are just two big buttons: Browse and Radio. Radio plays tracks of their choosing ( the snippet I heard was of a past radio program ), in Browse, you choose the track and play. It is as simple as that. The modern technique of 'infinite scrolling' is put to great use in the browsing window. There are also options to add a track to your playlist and share the track on facebook. It looks like features like search, browse by krithi, favorites etc are planned but not yet active. ( there are some teething trouble like sometimes the track you select is not what gets played but I am sure all of that will get ironed out due course)

Very nice indeed.

Rsachi

Re: iPhone app for sangeethapriya

Post by Rsachi »

Yes, Sir.
I also installed it a few days back. It is a good beginning.
Imagine the choice of hundreds of classic concerts -we can select and hear on the go! Wonderful.
We are getting spoilt for choice really!

tkb

Post by tkb »

great initiative and congrats to the Team "SANGEETHAPRIYA"

nri

Post by nri »

Installed Sangeethapriya on iPAD-2. Browse does not work with me, whereas Radio works! The error msg that I see is "MediaPlayerErrorDomain - The request timed out!". Other online CM radio channels also do not play on my ipad (ex. Shruti radio, carnatic radio), but few other non-CM online radio work perfectly. I tried in vein to find out a solution from Apple forums, as I am not able to pinpoint the error!
Any leads to fix this up will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

dear NRI,
The bugbear of iPad and iPhone is Flash.
so far, following apps in apps store work around this problem:
raaga.com, dhingana.com, saavn.com. they work on my iPad as apps just as well as sangeethapriya app. try reinstalling the app.

the app does not allow search by raga or artist yet. they will soon perhaps perfect it.

M eanwhile the regular sangeethapriya.org itself works well on my iPad, I can play any track just like on my PC! so I don't bother with the app yet.

A Flash workaround in general is possible with websites like mio.to by using a flash browser app on iPad/iPhone but it isn't totally satisfactory. Try Photon app.

B ottomline, there's almost no website for which I need MANDATORILY use a PC rather than iPad. But the quality of browsing on Flash sites is suboptimal.

nri

Post by nri »

Thanks Rsachi.
I am able to play directly from Sangeethapriya website, but something which I never prefer to do from my PC or other device. This means, we overload their server IMHO.
There is the Tambura Indian radio app and in the Tamil language option, Carnatic radio is available. Both the app and the channel are free, and they are my staple suppliers for the past so many months.
I hope more CM channels are made available through such hassle free apps!
Until then, happy listening to whatever we can lay our hands upon.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

but... but...

There's more Android in the world than iThings, isn't there?

But whichever...

Do people use their phones for out-and-about internet music listening? And if so, how do they manage the data-connection costs? Whenever I turn on 3G data, even for something like maps, my balance disappears horribly quickly.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Nick,
As long as I don't roam, Airtel Rs 750 3G package gives me monthlong streaming music. No problem.

nri

Post by nri »

Basically I don't like my devices to multitask. Mobile phones are what traditional phones are for, plus texting and that occasional missed call ... when I miss someone.
I like to play continuos music on the iPad or iPod, because I can carry it around the house in every room. Even when I work on the PC, music is played through iPad and this way work is not distracted. A broadband connection is my pick!
I believe radio music is next best to a concert, as there is a sense of curiosity of what next!

eesha

Post by eesha »

nri wrote:Installed Sangeethapriya on iPAD-2. Browse does not work with me, whereas Radio works! The error msg that I see is "MediaPlayerErrorDomain - The request timed out!". Other online CM radio channels also do not play on my ipad (ex. Shruti radio, carnatic radio), but few other non-CM online radio work perfectly. I tried in vein to find out a solution from Apple forums, as I am not able to pinpoint the error!
Any leads to fix this up will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Any feedback on this iOS app is to be posted using http://www.sangeethapriya.org/contact.php under the right category so that it reaches the developer team

eesha

Post by eesha »

sangeethapriya.org streaming service has been launched.

Without downloading, the concerts can be listened to using PC web browser and mobile devices (Android, Windows mobile, Blackberry OS, iOS).

The announcements related to this are available at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ra ... sage/45228
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ra ... sage/45216

tkb

Post by tkb »

congrats to the dedicated Team for all these wonderful efforts!

nri

Post by nri »

Thanks eesha. Much appreciated. I shall try to explore in multiple OS that I have and post comments, at the appropriate places.