An Incident That Earned M.S.Subbulakshmi The Bharat Ratn

History, religion and culture
venkatakailasam

An Incident That Earned M.S.Subbulakshmi The Bharat Ratn

Post by venkatakailasam »

This post was written by

Narrenaditya – who has written 20 posts on Amazing True Life Stories.
Narrenaditya is an award winning Creative Director/Writer from Hyderabad,India.

Source : Based on a miracle story “M.S. galam lo Perumal” from the Telugu language book “Sarva Sambhavaam” written by Sri.PVRK Prasad,IAS,former Executive Officer Of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam.....

" Prasad and other TTD officials quickly got up in her honor and greeted her with folded hands.Requesting them to feel comfortable she then looked at the portrait of Lord Venkateswara that was kept on a small table in front of her.

What happened later was a scene to be seen to be believed..

With an extremely unimaginable degree of devotion,the music queen immediately picked up the portrait with both her hands; closed her eyes for almost a minute; offered silent prayers to her beloved Lord Venkateswara in the portrait; later with tears running down her cheeks she gently placed her head at His holy feet saying in a low tone “Perumaal,ennai aasirvadhikka ithana dhooram neengale vandhuttela .. ??” (Tamil) (Oh my Venkateswara did you come all the way to bless me)."

" Sometime in the beginning of 1979 PVRK Prasad,the Executive Officer Of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) received two such urgent telegram messages from His Holiness the Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati and from His Holiness Bhagwan Sri Satya Sai Baba Of Puttaparthi.

The messages read.." “The noble couple of M.S. Subbulakshmi and Sadasivam are in a serious financial crisis and need some urgent help… Please plan something for them to help them come out of this crisis immediately”

Read it more at...

http://www.amazingtruelifestories.com/s ... rat-ratna/

A request to MOd.....If possible consider pinnig the thread..

Rsachi

Re: An Incident That Earned M.S.Subbulakshmi The Bharat Ratn

Post by Rsachi »

Extremely touching narrative, thank you, Venkatakailasam!!

M.S.Subbulakshmi was listening to Prasad quietly..

Prasad continued..”Amma,TTD is not going to donate this album free of cost to every devotee visiting Tirupati..In fact TTD is planning to promote this album in a commercial way by selling it across all it’s counters in India and abroad..This will generate a lot of money for TTD and we are only requesting you to take a little amount of money from it as you are legally entitled to receive that..The holy body of TTD is not in a position to take the services of a great devotee like you free of cost and later be blamed for that..”

As everyone was listening to him,Prasad continued with folded hands..

“Amma,as the executive officer of TTD am also a humble servant of Lord Venkateswara and will always be answerable to Him for every work done in the organization..I also feel that this album is the design of your Perumal Himself and that is why we are all here today…Anyways Amma,am like your son and I said what I wanted to say..Please forgive me Ammaa,if you find anything wrong in what I have conveyed..I now leave the decision to you and your Perumal..”

The absolute honesty in Prasad’s emotion filled voice impressed everyone there including the noble couple of M.S.Subbulakshmi and Sadasivam.There was an echoing silence there for about a few minutes with blank faces staring at each other..

Finally the ice was broken as the music queen smiled and agreed with Prasad’s view point..

Prasad looked thankfully at the portrait of Lord Sri Venkateswara that is there in front of him..

venkatakailasam

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

I sought the thread to be pinned..In your language 'stickey' ....you have merged the thread..What is the necessity...or urgency..

Do you not have more than one thread in the case of MMI ??

For Barathi..how many threads have you got?....

I am sorry..haste with which this merger has taken place...

More than that it relates to MSS.., it provides the back ground information as to how the 'Balaji Pancharatna' krities

came into being....

venkatakailasam

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

The thread is more to do with as to how Maha periva directed the course of events and

also providing the back ground information as to how the 'Balaji Pancharatna' krities

came into being.... than having a direct bearing on MSS..You can understand it if you read the link fully..

read that portion where shri prasad went for consultation with periva and what Periva has told him

about the village folks rendering Annamya krities...and cautioning him as to how Sadasivams react to the

proposal..

Request keep the thread as it was earlier or move to Bakthi..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Done!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Nice story. Credit also is due to Sri Kadayanallur Venkataraman for tuning many of the Annamacharya kritis which MSS rendered. http://srutimag.blogspot.com.au/2012/04 ... raman.html

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mohan,
Only y'day, I was happily narrating the story shared by V'Kailasam and the story contained in this blog you shared, along with more tidbits from the tribute website dedicated to MSS, with Sri K. Srikantiah of Parvathi, who enjoyed mutual esteem and affection with the Sadasivams.
Very inspiring and touching stories indeed!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Cienu
We all would appreciate Amma's recollections on these events especially the tunings and practice...

tkb

Post by tkb »

pranams!

narrenaditya

Post by narrenaditya »

Thank you very much Sri.Venkata Kailasam for posting my link here..Thanks also to other learned personalities who have complimented me for my work..Am extremely delighted to read all ur comments here..
However if I have to be very honest I will have to confess that it was not me who wrote this story but the Lord Venkateswara Himself has written it through me..
I was struck when I was undecided to choose the caption or heading of the story..But the heading "An incident that earned M.S.Subbulakshmi the Bharat Ratna" appeared in my dream..That way Lord Venkateswara was always with me while I was writing this story..The blessings of Amma too were there all through..
I now feel blessed for being chosen to write about the saintly Kanchi Periava and the noble M.S.Amma..

Regards

Narrenaditya

venkatakailasam

Quotes on Humility..

Humanity needs a lesson in Humility ...

Pride makes us Artificial....Humility makes us real....

venkatakailasam

A member in kanchi periva forum in face book Shri. Karthi Nagaratnam has this to say...

" அம்மாவுக்கும், மாமாவுக்கும் ஐயன் மேல் இருந்த பக்தி பற்றி சொல்ல நான் ரொம்ப சிறியவன்.

ஐயன் தான் அந்த ஏழுமலை வாசனும் என்பது தெரிந்தது தானே?

பொருளாதார சிக்கல்கள் தீர்ந்த பின், ஐயனுக்கு நன்றி கடன் செய்ய அத்தம்பதியினர் முயன்றபோது கூட 'அந்த பணத்துக்கு காஞ்சிபுரத்திலே ஒரு வீடு வெலைக்கு வர்றது, அதை ஒன் பேர்லே வாங்கி பதிவு பண்ணிடு' என்று சொன்னதாக அறிகிறேன். (மிக நம்ப தகுந்த வட்டாரங்களில் இருந்து). வெகு காலத்துக்கு பின்னரே, அச்சொத்து ஸ்ரீ மடத்துக்கு வர சம்மதித்தார்.(பாடகி மிக மிக நல்ல நிலைக்கு வந்ததை உறுதி படுத்தி கொண்டு).

72 மேள கர்த்தா ராகங்கள் அடங்கிய தொகுப்பு பாடி பதிவு செய்த பின் ஐயன் அருளிய திருவார்த்தைகள் இவை.

'சூர்ய சந்திராள் இருக்கற வரைக்கும் ஒன் பேர் நிலைச்சு இருக்கற மாதிரி ஒரு காரியம் பண்ணிப்பிட்டே. இன்னொரு ஜன்மா ன்னு இல்லே ன்னு ச்லாகியம் ஆன கார்யம்' என்று சொல்லி அம்மா வுக்கு மறு பிறப்பு இல்லாததை உறுதி செய்ததாகவும் அறிகிறேன்."

http://www.facebook.com/groups/Periyava ... tif_t=like

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

It is however wrong to assume that Balaji Pancaratnam is the primary reason for the award of Bharata Ratna to MS. She was an Icon for CM ,community consciousness and social welfare long before that. Sadasivam was a true patriot who also influenced and fostered her National spirit. It is a pity that the recognition came after his demise.

By the by do we know who tuned the Annamacharya lyrics for MS?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

CML,
I read this at the MSS Tribute site (article in The Hindu):
When the Tirupati Devasthanam decided to popularise Annamacharya, the 14th century saint composer of thousands of verses, most of which existed only on copper plates, M. S. Subbulakshmi was entrusted with the task of recording them in cassettes. Their music was wholly lost. A few could be acquired from singers like Nedunuri Krishnamurti, but most had to be fitted into ragas afresh. That is how the self effacing Kadayanallur Venkatraman found himself working with the legendary M.S., recommended for the task by Semmangudi...

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

cmlover wrote:It is however wrong to assume that Balaji Pancaratnam is the primary reason for the award of Bharata Ratna to MS. ...
This is mentioned only in the heading - a 'dreamy' heading as the OP mentions!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Rsachi:
Thanks for the link to the wonderful article on Shri Kadayanallur Venkatraman.