Word for same volume,tonal quality,clarity throughout a room

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
satyabalu

Word for same volume,tonal quality,clarity throughout a room

Post by satyabalu »

* if the same frequency(quality of sound) is heard throughout the the area of concert/prog with or without mike what is this called?

Rsachi

Re: Graphic equaliser

Post by Rsachi »

Sorry, the question is unclear.
Are you talking of timbre, tone, loudness, reverberation, echo, are you talking of space around a hall, or a period of time...
And one instrument/voice, or many...

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

* I admit I lack expression.You have initiated by giving a few suggestive terms .
* If We hear the same volume, tonal quality, clarity of words /other details irrespective of distance without echo in the same house in all the rooms or throughout the hall what is it called ?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Satyabalu: Please clarify.
a) Are you asking if there is a word to describe that and if so what it is?
b) Or you know what that word is, and asking us like a quiz?
c) Neither of the above but let us coin one.

I do not know the answer for a or b, but if there is no such word, then coining a word in English would start with 'equi' something. Just like how equipotential means "of the same or exhibiting uniform potential at every point: an equipotential surface". Here is a list of English words that start with equi: http://itools.subhashbose.com/wordfind/ ... -with/equi

And In sanskrit it will be 'sam' something? Just guessing. Like equilateral tetragon would be samacaturazra or equilateral triangle would be samatribhuja, equivalent to would be samadhRta.

More relevant to your concept, traidhAtukasamatA meaning equilibrium of three elements.

You are looking for something that is in equilibrium over a space on a number of aspects. So this is not quite the same but it may point one in the right direction. There is also the word 'sarva' to mean all.

I threw all this in, mixed it up and came up with sarva-samgItAmsa-samatA 'to mean "All musical aspects in equilibrium". Or using nAda for sound sarva-nAdAmsa-samatA But I do not know Sanskrit, so this may not be grammatically correct word formation. I will wait for Sanskrit knowledgeable folks to tear this apart!!

VK RAMAN

Re: Word for same volume,tonal quality,clarity throughout a

Post by VK RAMAN »

Accoustic -
Designed to carry sound or to aid in hearing and Designed to absorb or control sound - may coin a word around "accoustic"

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If you have absolutely no echo in a room, I believe the word is anechoic. Special anechoic chambers are built for various kinds of acoustic research, and such things are not found outside of labs.

A room which little echo is called "dead." Generally, acoustic treatment of rooms attempts to remove echo, but not completely. A really dead room is said to sound, err... dead. Roughly speaking though, you want to hear the sound from the source without hearing too many reflections of it, which may reach you at different timing, blurring the sound, or may, by reflection, actually cancel parts of the sound in certain places. That just about uses up my entire knowledge of acoustics. If you know anybody who is really really good at placing stereo speakers in a room to make you feel like you added zeros to the cost of your kit, they will know more than this! On the other hand, some do it instinctively. Of course, there are whole books on this stuff.... I stop long before the maths even begine, which wouldn't be many pages in.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

A sanskrit (coined) term will be
साम्यशब्धवितरणं (sAmyashabdhavitaraNam) = equal or uniform sound distribution.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Wait! I have it! :D
If We hear the same volume, tonal quality, clarity of words /other details irrespective of distance without echo in the same house in all the rooms or throughout the hall what is it called ?
a miracle.

It's impossible. Change your position relative to a sound source, and the sound will change.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

To put it in pain English: except in very confined spaces, sound as it travels is absorbed, reflected and impacts our ear differently at various points. That is why we don't sit close to the speaker in a concert.
These changed effects of sound also vary by frequency, ie the very deep subwoofer sound travels via the ground, whereas high frequencies travel in air. Hence in a home theatre it doesn't matter where you set up your subwoofer, but it does matter where you place the surround speakers.

There is a general architectural design for good acoustics in a large hall:
Place speakers around to distribute the energy, not blast at one point.
Use non reflective walls.
Avoid high ceilings and spaces that create echoes and reverbs like in a big church.
If you have a multichannel stereo (like 8 track stereo etc), like in a cinema, it matters a lot where you place your channel speakers. The subwoofers placement is not so critical as long as it is near the stage/screen.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Anechoic Chamber
Hence in a home theatre it doesn't matter where you set up your subwoofer
Subsonics may reach you through your chair and backside, but audible sounds still travel through the air. The reason there is often only one subwoofer is that, apparently, our ears and brain get all their directional clues from the higher frequencies, and so it is not necessary to do stereo with the subwoofer.

Not everyone agrees. Some people have two.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Well, there is more than meets the eye.
Subwoofer placement

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Audiophile method of subwoofer positioning:

1. Put the thing on your listening chair.

2. Play music.

3. Crawl around the floor until you find the place where you can best hear the subwoofer.

--- That's where it should go!

Actually, I've never had one, being neither a cinema fan nor a "headbanger," but I've heard and read this repeatedly, over the years, so I guess there must be something in it!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I have had this Bose thing with heavy subwoofer sitting at many spots...sounds awesome wherever I sit or crawl. I have this CD called Mantra sounds with dolphinesque deep chants.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Rsachi wrote:
I have this CD called Mantra sounds with dolphinesque deep chants.
Is it by some upcoming Carnatic vocalist who is looking for a USP to beat things such as The Fat Ghost, The Snake Dance Song, "Mischievous Krishna", "Oh Cowherd, Don't Go Away", and the Blind Money Song? ]:) :lol:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

What raga is this :D
I guess Mouna Kuravanji!
(..and this will be heard with the same volume, tonal quality and clarity in every part of the room :D