Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Classical Music of North India
maamoondi

Post by maamoondi »

In a few minutes it will be October 13 - the day NFAK was born - My prayer to Allah during the most holy month of Ramadan is to keep his soul in eternal peace.

This genius, born for the cause of qawwalli - whose father (himself a celebrated artiste) wanted NFAK to be a doctor practising medicine - but he became not only a doctor but the king of qawwalli. I have read a lot about him on various sites - but, Wikipedia has a great article about him, (comprising most of what is available at other sites) his childhood, his nurturing into the art of performing qawwalli, etc. Rich tributes have been paid by Eddie Vedder, who compares him to Elvis (and why not) and Brook Martinez.

One of the earliest pictures taken in or about 1983 available of Nusrat is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pakistantv.jpg

Please do search for Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan at Wikipedia and be lucky to see films from links available there.

Will we be lucky to hear him again in his next birth???

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

one pakisthani gentleman wrote 'take kashmir and give us madhuri dikshit.' i wanted to reply 'take madhuri and kashmir. give us nusrat Fate Ali Khan'. such was the effect of his captivating voice!