Alagappa Alagappan

Prominent critics and rasikas
rajeshnat

Alagappa Alagappan

Post by rajeshnat »

Dr Alagappan passed away recently. I am not sure how much of CM he has appreciated but certainly he has played a big part especially being a karana kartha of building temples in US. He built the first vallabha ganapathi temple in Queens , NY and in the below article we see there are 700 temples in US . The NRI's should be grateful to him.

Few years back our forumite Shri MKR took me to the queens temple when I was there for few months in NY/NJ. There is a lot that he told me which I leave it to him to narrate.Also those who are in chennai should also visit this lovely temple arupadai veedu in besant nagar which he has built it .

Two articles in Nov 21st,2014 hindu - friday review

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... epage=true

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 618142.ece

MKR,
Over to you and others who can add more.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 21 Nov 2014, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Alagappan

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: Alagappa Alagappan

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Thanks Rajesh for bringing this up.This piece has nothing to do with Music. How ever I have known Dr.Alagappan for over 40 years and I have been one of his loyal foot soldiers in his crusade for Hindu Temples in North America. He was instrumental with the late C.V.Narasimhan the former Under-Secretary general in the .N. for sponsoring the MS Amma's tour of the US--a few concerts in Ny were arranged for raising funds for the Temple in Flushing NY.The temple was started in an abandoned,dilapidated orthodox Russian Church in 1970-71. Actress Padmini-- a close friend of the family was also very helpful in the initial stages.The temple has grown into aGigantic monument--thanks to Alagappan-anointed successor Dr.Uma Mysorekar who has dedicated her life to the Institution.from my experience visiting temples in India as well as North America I can safely assert this is one of the best managed temples and Dr.Alagappan and Dr.Uma Mysorekar deserve all the credit.NEEDLESS TO ADD FORUMITES WOULD CONCEDE I AM NOT BIASED!!!!!
The temple does arrange CM concerts within the Budget Constraints--however I know several musicians have complained to me that the temple ought to take a more dynamic role in promoting Music and Dance.My wife is in the Cultural Committee and being known for our love of music visiting artistes wish we would "pull" more weight in promoting Dance and Music. The temple has however music/dance classes and with wide participation .Beyond this it is tough sledding !!!
On a personal note myself and my wife having been involved in the Temple since its inception, decided to put down roots near the temple--on a nice day the temple is 40 mts walk from my place--despite the fact that ALL of our friends who migrated to the US at the same time and were living close to the temple--all decided to move to the suburbs--we stuck it out and we do not regret a wee bit!!!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: Alagappa Alagappan

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Thanks Rajesh for bringing this up.This piece has nothing to do with Music. How ever I have known Dr.Alagappan for over 40 years and I have been one of his loyal foot soldiers in his crusade for Hindu Temples in North America. He was instrumental with the late C.V.Narasimhan the former Under-Secretary general in the .N. for sponsoring the MS Amma's tour of the US--a few concerts in Ny were arranged for raising funds for the Temple in Flushing NY.The temple was started in an abandoned,dilapidated orthodox Russian Church in 1970-71. Actress Padmini-- a close friend of the family was also very helpful in the initial stages.The temple has grown into aGigantic monument--thanks to Alagappan-anointed successor Dr.Uma Mysorekar who has dedicated her life to the Institution.from my experience visiting temples in India as well as North America I can safely assert this is one of the best managed temples and Dr.Alagappan and Dr.Uma Mysorekar deserve all the credit.NEEDLESS TO ADD FORUMITES WOULD CONCEDE I AM NOT BIASED!!!!!
The temple does arrange CM concerts within the Budget Constraints--however I know several musicians have complained to me that the temple ought to take a more dynamic role in promoting Music and Dance.My wife is in the Cultural Committee and being known for our love of music visiting artistes wish we would "pull" more weight in promoting Dance and Music. The temple has however music/dance classes and with wide participation .Beyond this it is tough sledding !!!
On a personal note myself and my wife having been involved in the Temple since its inception, decided to put down roots near the temple--on a nice day the temple is 40 mts walk from my place--despite the fact that ALL of our friends who migrated to the US at the same time and were living close to the temple--all decided to move to the suburbs--we stuck it out and we do not regret a wee bit!!!!