M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Kalki Gardens--some of the most pleasant times of MY life have been spent in that abode--Gowri's article(2003) evoked so many memories for me. Every nook and cranny of that household carries a tale to tell.

The Piano room referred to in the article was my 'quarters" whenever I visited kalki Gardens in the weekends during my College days at Presidency--ostensibly to "mentor" Kannakutti(adopted son of MSS/TS).friday evenings I would start my long "trek" from Mylapore to Kilpauk(two bus changes!!).As I enter the garden Compound getting past an "alert" Gurkha(after due verbal presentation/approval of my credentials) Mama(TS) watching from the big porch in the Upper Deck(pic in Gowri's article),will belt out with guffaw towards me, in Tamil "VADHYAR SAHAARA VAITHERICHAL THEERADHA,NEDUMAL THIRUMURUGA NITTAM NITTAM INDA EZHAVAA I am not sure if it was Pattinathar or Thayumanavar was the author of this line--(Translation: Will the Teacher not perish ,curing my angst,Oh Lord,do I have to put up with this every day )--he was referring to HOW my "pupil" was feeling about my arrival--needless to say given my "mentee's limited attention span(deliberate)and merciless disregard for authority(Mama believed in giving children a ' long leash) the "lessons" seldom could make progress--He was a bright kid who got bored with the conventional modes of pedagogy--subsequently he was admitted to the Rishi valley School hoping it would tame the rambunctious but lovable kid--there no doubt was reformation for the School and not for Kannakutty!!!! Mama can be "putty" before children-- a "ruse" the inmates of Kalki Gardens would unabashedly "exploit" when mama was in a "ranting" mood by thrusting the child before him and divert his attention. Gowri when she was young was mama's favorite(he used to cloyingly call her Gowri kannumani with the pouting of his lips that will simply "ooze" with affection!!). The "ruse" succeeded 100% of the time!! Any precocious remark by the kids--which in normal households would invite a good spanking--would be exalted by Mama before the visitors some of whom would be dignitaries(including Rajaji)!!

Back to the Piano room==this was where Radha was taught Piano by"Vaidyanathan"(actor Ranjan's elder brother--they were eight of them in the family--each one uniquely gifted--one of them was R.R.Sarma(Rajamony) who was a leading architect in Chennai--who had married Astrophysicist Chandrasekhar's sister-- Vidushi Vidya's siser-----SORRY for the digression!!!.

Semmangudi mama used to occupy the Piano room whenever he visited Madras from Trivandrum--one such occasion(I may have posted this anecdote in one of the topics-- I cannot recall--anyway those of you who have read it before "indulge" me for the sake of those who may not have seen the "post"!!!).
Once when I happened to be there for the weekend, SSI was preparing to take his "oil" bath-- the "prep work" for this ritual would outclass and outshine any prince or princess's "ablutions"--the prep work involved a rigorous "massage" of Coconut Milk(Thengai Paal!!)--since his shishyas were out for the day the task fell to me of "massaging" the Great man. There were just the two of us in that room Mama unleashed a brief alapana of karahapriya followed by a quick rendering of Rama Nee Samana Mevaru and an elaborate niraval and swara prasthara( this was a 40 to 45 mts affair--my arms would get tired and "flag" only to be jolted by Mama's 'stern" reminder.!! After a couple of swara prastharas--a gradual build-up of one,two three avarthanas--Mama was in rare form that day--at one point he stops,pauses and turns to me and says in Tamil" Yarai Avadu Inda mari swaram poda cholluda"(Can anybody unleash this kind of torrential imagination"-)-one of the rarest acts of outburst of self-flagellation that I have ever witnessed from Mama(SSI).From my perspective and from my experience over the years his "self-congratulations" was richly deserved!! I forgot to mention the Piano room like all the rooms in the upper floor --all had high ceilings and the acoustics were very good--incidentally CIENU your Mom used to practice raga alapana in that room all by herself with me as the 'observer" 'critiquing" her singing!!

So many memories--likewise every room in the house was 'vibrant" with the various occupants and visitors----strangely enough Mama(TS)'s room was the "smallest" and the "tidiest" of all the rooms in the house--no stray piece of paper or cloth floating around--it was a pleasure watching him get dressed up for the daily casual routines--the Vibhuti Pattai application was an art by itself--the "three" stripes of equal length,spacing and thickness--the trick --he used a thin string just the length of his forehead--the 'steadiness' of hand even in his eighties and nineties was remarkable. The white Khadi outfits were immaculately white and crisply "ironed"--the "help" knew what would happen if anything in that room was misplaced or disturbed. Once Radha told me how she was at the receiving end of Mama's wrath. Mama had given to Radha one of his khadi vest where the buttons had fallen off instructing that it be stitched promptly.Mama goes away,Radha was distracted by several others with "minutae" and did not get around to the task. Mama comes and finds that the task had not been done. In flying rage without much of ranting he tore the vest and shred into several strips --the "message" was when I entrust you with a task I expect it to be complied with--if you cannot do it you should have told me at the time I gave you the task.

In fairness I must admit I too have been at the receiving end for not executing a task assigned to me which I had unilaterally put away as not important to be done right away. Mama was always clear whenever he gave instructions . There was absolutely no ambiguity or imprecision--he will make sure that you understood what the task was,he will make you repeat it to make sure you have understood it and also ask you finally whether you can do it. he would accept an honest admission that you may not be equal to the task but would never condone excuses later. His meticulousness was legendary as anybody who has worked in Kalki gardens would attest !!
TS deserves a comprehensive biography which he vehemently opposed when he was alive. Athma brought out a nice "tome" with various people contributing to it including Visalam(the "help" who served MSAmma faithfully for over 50 years and the ONLY ONE that TS NEVER found fault with--On top of it he used to 'rub it in" to all of us whenever we botched an assignment that we should all learn from Visalam).

There was never a dull moment in Mama's 95 year life and scores of people could vouchsafe for it!!

Sorry I got carried away and here I pause and repose!!!!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Ramesh Mama,
That was a lovely outpouring of emotions (#801). You have referred to Thata's applying of Vibuthi on his forehead. I have watched the entire process which used to take around 30 minutes or so. Such patience and perfection.
Kindly find below a link which appeared in "The Hindu" a few days back.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/t ... 345616.ece

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
This was written in 2009?

Cienu,
Has the building been demolished now?

What memories! What history! Gowri Ramnarayan's writing brings every incident and the countless personalities alive, as if they still inhabit our world. Your grandfather was amazing. It all touches our hearts while the lady of glory, our gAnak kuyil and aruL viLakku Suswaralakshmi lives in our hearts...

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Arasi
The last time I went to Kalki Gardens was around 15 months back and I found a huge new building in front which was the school building of Maharishi Vidya Mandir. In my opinion the old structure no longer exists. I would be happy if my surmise is wrong ! I will visit once again on my next trip to Chennai.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
Biographer supreme! Your Kalki Gardens memories are a treasure for readers and for posterity...
How we wish you would give us more to cherish!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Cienu/Arasi; Thanks for your comments. Arasi YOU asked for it and YOU are going to get it--more anecdotes about (Sladens/Kalki) Gardens
I am like the character Mallari Rao in DEVAN's writings-- the person eager to pour out an anecdote or comment at the ""slightest" provocation!!!--the slight "quivering' of the "Right" thumb being a forewarning of an anecdote to come unsolicited!!!
In my next post I will try to post a letter from Anandhi to her children in the early days of her marriage(this letter was released on the occasion of the Third Anniversary of the Sadasivam Memorial Trust).That would give an insight into HOW perceptive Anandhi(Gowri Ramnarayan's mother) was and HOW well she integrated herself into the household).What amazes me most is that these individuals I am writing about --be it Radha or Ananadhi--wore their "TWIN HATS"(each being famous on their own merit--Anandhi as a writer was a worthy daughter of a great tamil writer and a dutiful HOUSEWIFE tending to mundane chores of raising family) and Radha -- equally accomplished could handle her public and private persona with APLOMB. I have heard Radha's mother-in-law acknowledge to me how comfortable she was with Radha(who was one of four daughters--in-law!!)--back from a trip abroad be it the US or UK the Radha household would be bursting with the hustle and bustle of domestic chores--
--No relaxing- no time to "reminisce" about epoch-making events that may have happened during their tours-On the contrary sometimes mama would have scheduled a rehearsal for an upcoming record release!!!

Being a "fly-in-th-wall" during those times,these images just lodged in my mind without much introspection-now that I recall those moments and having seen in my lifetime several celebrities' households and the "players" I cannot but acknowledge the uniqueness and grandeur of their lives--far beyond the Musical "heights" that is legendary!!

More to come---

Ramasubramanian M.K

This is a follow-up to my promise in post#806 re: Anandhi's tribute to TS:

"ANANDHI RAMACHANDRAN writes to her children about T.S. Her memories reflect the many facets of his personality.

"I(Anandhi) have been reflecting on the time I spent with Thatha and Patti soon after Appa and I were married. What I remember most is Thatha's sense of humor. But the jokes do not translate well. When I think of it it was the way he told the jokes which made us laugh.
When radha and I learned Bharatha Natyam,Thatha used to take a lot if interest. Our arangetram was fixed. Kalki Thatha had chosen the Bharathiyar song(AADUVOME) but it was TS Thatha who invited Sri.S.V. Venkatraman to come and set it to tune. It became such a hit that baby Kamala danced for that song in "Naam Iruvar"" and the playback singer was D.K.Pattammal.

Thatha took interest in our dance costumes. A tailor came home and stitched about ten types of costumes in some inexpensive material. Finally Thatha and Patti approved of one which somewhat resembled Rukmini Devi's costume. Till that met his aproval the tailor could not go home. The sound of the sewing machine which was brought for that purpose was heard day and night along with the noise of the Kalki press. Finally a blue saree with Jari designs which was bought for the film Mera was cut up for our costumes. They looked quite beautiful.

Then kalki Thatha wanted a type of curtain. TS Thatha made Sri. Manian(office artist) draw a Nandi with a flag staff(thvaja sthambam). Another artist from neptune studio who paints screens for the films was sent for. Yards of white material were spread on the Nandi. Eventually the same nani picture was printed on the cover page of the programme too. he was so efficient and organized everything so quickly and he knew who could do what.

he had great respect for real artists. There was not a single artist who had not visited their home at kalki Gardens. Pandallur Jayalakshmi was photographed in in Thatha's house. Sonal maning danced in their house and was photographed for the Kalki Deepavali Malar.

From Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar and Musiri Subramaniam Iyer to Siddeswari Devi and Ravi Shankar,Yehudi menuhin,Dilip Kumar Roy,Jawaharlal nehru--the list is endless.
Sadasivam never let go the friendships he formed during his imprisonment . His friends' children were his children. he took interest in their studies and found spouses for them. Atleast a hundred Nichyatharthams were held in their house.

I remember an incident during a performance in Delhi. Patti was giving a performance . It ws the time of the War with China. Everyone was concerned about the war. Somebody spoke about it. Thatha sent Patti a note saying give away your bangles. patti immediately took them off and gave them away for the war effort. Because of Patti many others who were there also ave away whatever they had on them for the war effort. He believed in setting the right example.

When Thatha and Patti went abroad for the first time,Thatha prepared a booklet about Patti. I showed it to Rukmini Devi.She said that the booklet was excellent and then added I wish I had someone like Sadasivam to help me in my work.

When Pandit Nehru visited Kalki Gardens he complimented Sadasivam about the eautiful garen he maintaine. Sadasivam had the Gardener ready with a garland. he honored both Ekambaram the gardner and Pandit Nehru the Prime Minister by that simple gesture"

End of Quote.

Comment: Anandhi's association with the family was reinforced with Vijaya's marriage to her brother Rajendran.Anandhi's devotion to MSAmma was unassailable. Despite her own commitments at the Kalakshetra(where she assisted Rukmani Devi admirably in her running the institution,)she would trek from Adyar to Kotturpuram in an auto rickshaw( not bother anybody for transport)- to see MS Amma-I was there on one such occasion. She herself was ailing at that time.No muss No fuss!! it is a pity that she died soon after MSAmma passed away.

Personally she was very fond of me and my family. In our family archives I recall seeing a letter to my mother when my mother became a Grandmother for the first time time in 1956 giving a glowing account of the joys of Grandparenthood(Anandhi was hardly 25 at that time!!!) and yet the folksy style and the warmth and love struck me as amazing.Although proud of her children I had seldom seen her bragging about Gowri's talents/achievements.

Anandhi's mention about mama's passion for gardening. During my weekend jaunts to Kalki Gardens Mama would wake me up for his brisk morning walk with MSAmma by his side shuffling her steps to keep pace with him--with one hand clasped behind his back gripping the elbow(with me almost 40 years younger huffing and puffing!!!),he would make a quick tour of the gardens(there used to be a Gazebo in the center with chairs and a table for relaxation in the evening surrounded by green grass!!). Ekambaram the Gardener would be "quizzed" about the maintenance, a few suggestions/orders will be thrown for changing the flower beds/ arrangements. Mama believed in changing the landscape frequently and if you are not observant you would miss the changes that may have been made since one's last visit!! Both Mama and MS Amma's eating habits can best be described as spartan--epitome of moderation. The house at one time had three cooks--mostly to "feed" the visitors and few staff members from the Press below--editors/cartoonists/foreman(Rajabather)would all be dining sitting on the floor--at any given time there would be atleast 20 to 25 people eating--besides the members of the household. How the cooks managed to scramble and cater to hordes of unanticipated guests is a whole different story--equally fascinating would be the dialog between Thangamma(mama's niece who ran the household) with her mild remonstration to Mama and lectures about Budgets and thrift. Any other person would have been thrown out summarily for such blatant insouciance--but Thangamma's "sermon" would be patiently listened to by Mama without "pulling" rank!! he had tremendous respect for Thangamma for her diligence and forthrightness.

Each character in the Household--be it the cook or the help or the help manning the 'stable"(of cows.Buffaloes) at the back of the house--were all loyal people who were treated with respect both by Mama and MS Amma.

You would notice a "thread" evolving from the narratives of people who hav e been around the gardens--how much Mama would prize loyalty and sincerity above everythingelse.

Sometimes in my own "small,short-sighted " way I used to think Had Mama not been so profligate in tending to such a large flock of friends,sycophants,free-loaders and focussed on accumulating wealth if not for himself or MSAmma but for the sake of their children and grandchildren,how much better the progeny would have been in today's harsh economic times. It is commendable that the progeny never lamented as I did!!
Kalki Gardens should have been made into a museum.

Lastly I want to conclude this note with a painful poignant anecdote.

As I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts on MSAmma,in 1977 when CVN had arranged their tour of the USA for fundraising for the Flushing temple in NY and other charitable causes,Mama,Mami Radha all landed in my house after vacating Kalki Gardens with absolutely no idea where they would be living after their return. MSAmma lamented about the plight and had a slight tear in her eyes about the prospect of entering an unfamiliar phase in her life, Mama consoled her saying
"we were not born with those possessions and we should learn to live an ascetic life with Paramacharya's and
Baba's blessings". What an epitome of stoicsm and sacrifice!!

I thought to myself what good are we the admirers if we have not raised a finger to avert such a catastrophie that affected a Nation's precious treasure. I am reminded of British parliamentarian' Edmund Burke's remarks on the French Revolution.QUOTE;
' I THOUGHT TENTHOUSAND SWORDS WOULD HAVE LEAPT FROM THEIR SCABBARDS TO AVENGE THE LOOK THAT THREATENED THE QUEEN WITH INSULT!!!!! LO!!!! THE AGE OF CHIVALRY IS GONE; THAT OF SOPHISTERS,ECONOMISTS AND CALCULATORS HAS SUCCEEDED".

That mama spurned MGR's offer to provide all amenities as State Treasure is by now well-known!!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Reading this has been a rich experience. Thank you so much.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mama,
The back story to the now-famous ADuvOmE from nAm iruvar was precious!
So, from what I understand, (Cienu can confirm), it was at the arangETRam of Smts. Radha and Anandi that a bhAratiyAr composition was first presented in the bharatanATyam format! Nice piece of history....

cienu

Post by cienu »

Yes Ravi. You could also read this interesting bit of information on the msstribute org website.
http://www.msstribute.org/pageflip/arangetram.html

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

cienu, that is a great memorabilia indeed.

It will be great to hear the post intervals songs sung by MSS, especially kAlai thUkki (YKK) Is there an audio recording of that? It is one of my favorite songs and I have a MSS rendition which I treasure. That is the only one by MSS I could find. It will be great to listen to her singing that song for the dance performances.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear VK
I am trying to locate kAlai thUkki (YKK) though not in our collection.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Awesome. Thanks Cienu.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
Thank you for responding in a way which reveals the grandeur of a richly lived life of the Sadasivams in music, sharing and caring, with a 'family' of many members, each making it more meaningful, it seems.

For those who think any art form lives in isolation, here is a life so illustrative of how a family lived with art, lived it in all fullness, in hospitality (itself an art), in flowers surrounding them, in children being celebrated...Moving narrative, indeed. Thanks!

Cienu,
Ramesh mentions how your grandparents did not leave any material wealth behind for you all.

Yet, the heritage they left behind! And it shows...:)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Arasi: Your sentence about the art form and how it lived is a masterpiece of brevity and substance.Mama(TS) would have loved to have you as part of the staff(kalki).

Re: kalaithukki recording I am sure there would be many available in the various media.

Radha's abhinayam--my mother still raves about it was superb--even a simple "velai Thukkum Pillai" move would make Lord Muruga appear before you--the combination of MSAmma's singing and Radha's abhinayam should be seen to be believed!! Ditto for Malai Pozhudinele!!!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Marriage at Smt. M.S. Subbulakshmi's House

A share from a friend..

Ramasubramanian M.K

Nice pic--the tall person standing just right behind Vijaya is Ramachandran(Ambi Anna--TS's nephew/Anandi's husband/Gowri's Dad).Rajaji was 78 yeas old Mama(TS) was 55 years old and MSAmma was 41 years old.MSAmma's madi Sar saree style has added grace because of MSAmma.
memories!! memories. I was in Engng College in 1957--myself and my mother went to Ahmedabad to "settle" Radha's First Kudithanam--because both TS and MSAmma could not go because of other commitments.

Radha took to her new role and new environment with aplomb lie as if she had been trained for years!! Imagine a person who has been in the limelight since her birth and having to shoulder new respoonsibilities in a very different environment than she has been used to--space,help or the lack of it!!

cienu

Post by cienu »

An article in today's "The Hindu" on the Tamburas of MS
http://m.thehindu.com/news/cities/banga ... ecid=12609

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri VK
Thanx for sharing. Old is always gold
Thanjavooran
15 09 2014

venkatakailasam

Concert 263-Devar namas and Virutham- Smt MS Subhulakshmi
( Her Birth day to day-16-09-2014 )

Listen at:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/07 ... rt-ix.html

01-guruvina_gulama
02-harinarayana
03-odi_barayya
04-sakalagrahapala_neeney
05-hoga_diralo_ranga
06-kaliyuga_dalli
07-dasano_madika_enna
08-naaneke_badavanu
09-Virutham-Ragamalika
10-Virutham Petra thai thanai Ramalinga Adigalar -MSS
Image courtesy: msstributes.org
A color was named after her: MS Blue..

Audio courtesy Shri kumar narayanan...

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

pranams, namaskarams to MS amma on her birthday, wherever she is. I'm sure she will be blessing all of us...

cienu

Post by cienu »

A rare picture of my Grandparents with the members of the Cinema fraternity.
This was on the occasion of the celebration of "30 years of SPB" in the music field.
My Grandmother was called to preside over the fucntion
From (l to r) Sri SPB, Sri Ilayaraja, my Grandparents and Smt Lata Mangeshkar.
Click on the link below in case the you are not able to see the pic in full.
http://i58.tinypic.com/hstczk.jpg

CRama

Post by CRama »

Cienu, Thanks for the wonderful pic.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cienu,
nice picture of SPB, illayaraja, lata , ms amma and sri sadasivam . I think the year is 1996

cienu

Post by cienu »

An article in todays "The Times of India" (17th Sep 2014)
The picture was taken by our own Badari during the Rasikas meet in June 2011
Sri Nageswaran and Sri Madhava Rao are also seen in the picture
In case the picture fails to unfurl fully kindly click on the link below
http://i59.tinypic.com/33x7ktd.jpg

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu - thank you for these beautiful pictures! In the pic in post #822, who is the lady between your grandmother and Lata Mangeshkar?

cienu

Post by cienu »

The person is Smt Saroja Athmanathan.
Sri Athma is also partially visible in the picture between my Grandparents.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Folks: As part of my Kalki Gradens narrative,I had intended to "highlight" the "behind-the-scenes" kindred souls that gave that place the 'halo' it had.One of the characters was TS's niece Thangamma who passed on 2 weeks ago @ the age of 85. I intend this post to be a tribute to Dear Thangamma. I am sure Cienu and his mother would agree with my description of Thangamma's role in the "care" and "maintenance" of the Kalki gardens.

Personally, I woe a deep debt of gratitude(and so does my brother) to Thangamma for the love and affection Thangamma bestowed on us during our short/extended stays @ the Kalki Gardens. It was these sojourns that helped me understand what a pivotal role she played. For starters,Thangamma was fearless,forthright and scrupulously fair and just when dealing with the myriads of people who visited the Gardens. Her role was to manage the day-to-day affairs of the house because MS Amma/TS/ Radha were constantly on the move or engaged in social obligations.
Imagine a huge household--where the # of inmates belonging to the Household were FAR outnumbered by the visitors/guest(Short-term/long-term ) and having to make sure that the establishment ran like an well-oiled machine.

Looking back on my family's interaction(intimate in some cases) with other celebrities households(DKP/MLV/SSVasan et al)
I cannot but wonder HOW the Kalki Gardens estblishment was run so efficiently given the fact neither TS nor MS Amma were "overtly" concerned with the financial nitty-gritty of running a household. I have been witness to several discussions-nay sermons from Thangamma to TS(if there was ONE person in that household whom TS dare not cross or argue with it was Thangamma) about the need for thrift-- need to balance income with expenses. One episode I remember--TS would give her a "sum" for the month in general--and would start receiving "nudges" in the beginning gravitating slowly to admonitions as the month draws to a close as to how TS needs to curb his hospitality instincts(with some slight fearless "digs" at the insincerity of the "hangers-on"!! that in her opinion TS was oblivious to!!!). To his credit Mama would never "fire back" at her or say I am the Master of the House(which he no doubt was!!). Thangamma never raised anything that was unfair or untrue--her children growing up in the Household got the same treatment as anybody else in the Household.

She was the most pious ardent devotee of Maha Periyaval --the KANCHI SEER- and scrupulously followed his teachings--once when Paramacharya suggested that ladies avoid wearing gorgeous silk sarees(for the concern for the Silkworm) Thangamma was the first to adopt it and till her death she never deviated from it although she had to attend scores of marriages and functions in Chennai when the whole crowd would be "bedecked" with silk sarees. and Thangamma would stand out with her simple outfit.

She can be so brutally forthright--especially with MS Amma--who was the most gullible person I have known-- when MSAmma will have her gripe about an exchange with TS and express that to Thangamma looking for sympathy(deservedly so!!)Thangamma would reply "If you feel you are right why don't you stand-up to the bullying and end up saying if I were in your shoes I would express myself unequivocally if I am right. Knowing Thangamma she would if placed under similar circumstances!!

One thing which she taught me was the importance of Love in relationships--the need for steadfastness no matter how trying the circumstances might be--every time I visit Chennai in the last 2/3 years although I did not visit her in person I would talk to her--she would enquire about my Mother--recall the Calcutta days and recount my own chldhood"mispronouncements" and always end up with the advice in Tamil--'remember in life--ANBU THAAN MUKYAM.
In Life Love is the most important thing).

She came into the TS Household very young probably ten years old--having lost her parents--Mama took her and Ambi Anna(her brother--Gowri's father) into his fold,got her married(her husband Ananthanna was attached to the Kalki Office Admin)--for a long time as her children grew up and she wanted to set up her own establishment TS would not relent and finally gave in and for the last 35 odd years (even before Kalki gardens was shut down) she had set up her own establishment .

She was incredibly alert and mobile traversing the corridors of Kalki Gardens million times in a day -- the shuffle of the legs and the "clang" of the bangles approaching a room(be it MS Amma's or TS's or the guest room) not to deliver inane pleasantries but some pointed remarks pertaining to minor unnoticed "infractions"--whether it was Semmangudi mama or Rajaji it did not matter although she had the highest regard for these persons!!! needless to say these were invariably "monologues"!!!!
In my opinion if TS had hired an able "administrator" to run the vast household he/she could not have shown
the love ,sensitivity ,selflessness and concern that Thangamma showed. The hallowed history of Kalki Gardens will always be replete with Thangamma's role.
Although this does not have anything to do with Music or Rasikas, I did not want Thangamma to die 'UNWEPT,UNHONORED AND UNSUNG"(to quote Sir Walter Scott!!)

MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sorry to hear of her demise. Your homage to her is moving.
I did see her in the audience when Gowri Ramnarayan's book on MS and Radha was released in Chennai.

Please continue with your recollections. We are all eager for more.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Please find below the recollections of Late Thangam Ananthanarayanan in the website http://www.msstribute.org
http://www.msstribute.org/anecdotes/ane ... ayanan.php

Ramasubramanian M.K

Cienu: That was vintage Thangamma--As critical and forthright she can be one-on-one with TS or MS Amma, woe unto any other person who dares say anything slightly negative about TS or MSAmma--so much she loved them as much as they loved her!!

One of my regrets has been that since I joined the forum I did not have much opportunity to share my thoughts about the family that I have expressed in the Forum with Thangamma--she would have been the fittest raconteur of the "Family" lore and probably would have given me lot more material to "chew" on and "share".
Looking back, there is so much to tell about the various behind-the-scenes "actors" who served the family loyally--
be it Visalam (MSAMma's most loyal,empathetic "help" held in the highest esteem by TS--every time anybody "botches" an assignment given by Mama,the "admonitions" would end with a "homily" that "they" all should take lessons from Visalam for correct understanding and executions of instructions!!

the Gardener Ekambaram,the Driver Dhanapal,the "cooks"(each one of them was a character--by turns they would "mourn" and "groan" under the workload- understandably---the Kitchen used to be hotter than an Industrial Kitchen!!) or Lingam the page boy who joined the family when he was 10 or 12 and won the loyalty/afffection of the household members so much so he almost earned a "free trip" to the US when Air India got their First Boeing in the sixties and the then GM of AI--a good friend of the family extended the invitation to MSAmma and TS to join him on the trip to receive the First Boeing but was shocked to get Lingam's name recommended by Mama much to the chagrin of some of the "Senior" help around TS who all grumbled that 'they" were not given the chance . Needless to say TS mollified their wounded sentiments by saying"You all will have enough opportunities to go abroad whereas the poor boy cannot dream of a trip--WHY begrudge him?"
NOW CIENU I would appreciate if you could confirm with your mother whether this actually materialised--i.e did Lingam make that trip??? I know the idea was being bandied about when the "offer" was being made by the AI GM.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu and Ramesh,
Enjoy reading all this.

MSS and Sadasivam as a pair had some sterling qualities in common--one of them being--fending for and appreciating those who served them and were loyal to them...

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

venkatakailasam

A vintage video...

MS Subbulakshmi and Pandit Jasraj: Gandhi Jayanthi 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aZCWNUgfsw

Posted by vichella

venkatakailasam

Forever A Legend ( M.S.Subbulakshmi)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6S0mfHEpKw

posted by Films Division..

composition Ranga sayee...not copyrighted?

cienu

Post by cienu »

arasi wrote:Rajesh,
This was written in 2009?
Cienu,
Has the building been demolished now?
What memories! What history! Gowri Ramnarayan's writing brings every incident and the countless personalities alive, as if they still inhabit our world. Your grandfather was amazing. It all touches our hearts while the lady of glory, our gAnak kuyil and aruL viLakku Suswaralakshmi lives in our hearts...
Dear Arasi/Rajeshnat
Yes the building was demolised around 2 years back.
The picture taken by yours truly on Sunday (23rd Nov 2014) shows the place where the magnificient Kalki Gardens once stood.
The place where the buses are standing was where the main building was originally.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu,
That it's now a place of learning is the only consolation.

How a vibrant place of music and the venue for the meeting of national leaders is erased from the face of Chennai! :(

Well, we have rich memories (thanks to you all) and old photographs to keep the place alive in our hearts....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu - I cannot even imagine how painful these sights must be to you and members of your family, in particular, your mother. :(

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Can someone please tell me when " kuRai ondrum illai" was first sung by M.S. ? Was it first in the Balaji Pancha Ratna Mala record ? if so, which year was it?

( there's a lot of mistakes about this in the Web....) Thanks.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Dear Pasupathy Sir,

Can you please provide the english translation of the articles you have posted.

Three articles about M.S.Subbulakshmi (in Tamil)

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2013/01/13.html

Poet Vaali's poem about M.S. in
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2013/07/18.html

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/09/39.html

Thanks,
Aditya.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Dear Aditya,

Thanks for your interest . I wish I had both the time and ability to do what you wanted. Unfortunately , the demands on my time are too many and I have to leave it to others to do such translations, if they are interested. I barely have time to post regularly in my blog! Please excuse me.

Pasupathy

Ramasubramanian M.K

Cienu: Just saw your post of the Kalki Gardens photo. It is so painful to me that this was not declared a National Monument--As RShankar says I cannot imagine HOW painful it must be for your mother and yourself--especially for your mother--your mother is just a vibrant testimony to the hallowed shrine--how many dignitaries,what hospitality,the hustle,bustle and laughter--the constant 'tinkering" of the surroundings by Thatha--the incessant instructions to the Gardener Ekambaram-Patti's lightning visits to the cow shed in the morning(AFTER the brisk walk with Thatha with his hand behind his back gripping his elbow with Patti "huffing" and "puffing" behind trying to catch up with comments/instructions by Thatha without any pause for breath--I have been part of the "also walked" gang at the receiving end of generous doses of advice about loyalty,sincerity,task-orientation--advice that has shaped my life and outlook enormously.
Patti will have her own tete-a-tete with the cows--reminiscent of the scene in Sakunthalai the viruttam--Manam Kulira Kann Kulira--especially the stanza Arumai Miha Pasukkaal!!! The obeisance in the Puja room to Kanchi Periyavaa and the panoply of Deities adorning the wall --the room was also a mass dining room for the hordes of visitors/staff irrespective of their rank and station)--the adjoining Kitchen with the Cooks-- threesome(or was it a "Quartet"?)busy whipping up breakfast--Idlis by the dozens with all the "culinary" accompaniments(two kinds of Chutneys,Sambar,assortment of Podis etc--reminiscent of a "Chittoor Subramania Pillai stage-mridangam,kanjira,ghatam,moorsing,dholak,konnakkol etc!!.The IRONY was that the Principals--Thatha and Patti were spartan eaters--selective,moderate portions--no indulgences--no wonder both of them lived a long life!!!
Life in the KALKI Gardens was always a BUZZ and in Flux--the "calendar" of events if it existed at all only in Thatha's head---- was "made-up" as things went along--Thatha being oblivious to the "logistisics" of such impromptu entertaining of dignitaries and "hangers-on like myself and several others in the entourage --with Thangamma muttering under her breath about Thatha's generosity impulses running amok heedless of the "realities" of running a household!! Despite
this the true "trooper" that Thangamma was she will bend over backwards to ensure that the arrangements were made to Thatha's satisfaction.

Cienu--what has struck me most was the fact that neither your Mother nor Vijaya ever wondered or grumbled about the consequences to their own future life because of such boundless generosity being strewn about without discrimination amongst the beneficiaries--some of whose true "loyalties" they(Radha and Vijaya/Thangamma) had serious doubts about-- despite the fact that they were much younger and "supposedly" less-worldly-wise!!!

To quote Churchill "NEVER BEFORE HAVE SO MANY OWED SO MUCH TO SO FEW".

THAT WOULD BE THE FITTEST EPITAPH FOR BOTH THATHA AND PATTI.
In my next post an anecdote involving myself would provide a "vignette" to the spirit of love and compassion that permeated the Household adorned by TWO GREAT HUMAN BEINGS!!!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Pasupathy wrote:Can someone please tell me when " kuRai ondrum illai" was first sung by M.S. ? Was it first in the Balaji Pancha Ratna Mala record ? if so, which year was it?

( there's a lot of mistakes about this in the Web....) Thanks.
kuRai ondrum illai was sung in the 1980's as part of the Balaji Pancharatnamala (Volume 2)
What was usng in the UN was another composition of Rajaji in English "May the Lord forgive our sins"

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Ramesh Mama for the post on Kalki Gardens.
Loyalty was a trait Thatha valued. It was therefore a shock for him when the Kalki Union went on a strike.(one of the initial triggers which subsequently led to the sale of Kalki Gardens). It is another matter though that he gave each worker 2 times the compensation originally demanded before bidding farewell.
Last edited by cienu on 09 Dec 2014, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Yes Cienu--the story about the recalcitrance of the unions--despite the fact that they were more fairly treated than their peers in the other contemporary publications(Vikatan,Kumudam etc) and the "perfidy" of people around Thatha who should have supported him(and not undermine him) is a STORY that would/should never be told(VKV knows this too!!).It should never be told only because neither Thatha or Patti or your mother would have wanted it told lest it should badly reflect upon the people who were "passive" witnesses to an avoidable business set-back.

In that ONE act alone(of not exposing the people or bad-mouthing them) Thatha Patti and your Mother/Father showed their TRUE Class!!
It is difficult and even inconceivable in this day and age to find such principled,selfless humanbeings--posterity would find it difficult to believe that such souls existed despite all the volumes that have been written about them.

cacm

Post by cacm »

MOST persons only have semi-knowledge of T.S. The same is true of the closing down of Kalki etc details of which I happen to know in great detail but will not discuss because I WOULD RATHER PERSONS WHO THROW STONES FIRST ATTEMPT to know more about him. First if they go to Rajaji Mandapam ( ON OPPOSITE SIDE OF "GUINDY ENGINEERING COLLEGE") they will find about the FREEDOM FIGHTERS LIKE T.S. whose SACRIFICES led to our freedom. Instead of being OBJECTIVE it is easier to indulge in UNSUBSTANTIATED STUFF.
ANY ONE WHO CAN HELP PROJECT THE GENIUS & ABILITIES OF M.S.,RAJAJI, KALKI, & T.K.C. not to mention various others+ HIS SERVICES in VARIOUS CAUSES DESERVES OUR ADMIRATION& GRATITUDE & THE LEAST WE CAN IS TO TALK ABOUT THESE & MAY BE UNVEIL HIS STATUE AS A MODEL FOR THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTED SO MUCH FOR BRINGING OUT THE BEST IN OUR CULTURE& HISTORY. VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Tomorrow is MSAmma's TENTH Death Anniversary--something to be solemnly remembered and reminisced about rather than "celebrated"--a few thoughts on the last 2 years of her life--that I cherish today more than the previous 6 decades I have been fortunate enough to know her.

A certain group of "friends" amongst the Chennai elite,"miffed: that they did not have the "access" they used to enjoy when TS was alive,were spreading the rumors that MSS was not "all-that-well" as made out to be. This was not true. Yes her memory lapses were increasing--her underlying condition was not in the best of shape. The reason "access" was restricted by Athmanathan--who took excellent care till the Great Lady breathed her last--was constantly bombarded by the visItors--perhaps well-meant--with advice(none of them were Doctors and had their own share of illnesses!!)as to WHAT Athma should do and WHO should be consulted etc--Despite polite rebuttals by Athma that everything that needed to be done was being done and that he strictly follows the Doctors' advice(The Doctor couple who had been attending on the family for over 50 years--both of them endocrinoligists and both of them could recite MSAmma's charts in their sleep!!) and that the Doctors advised that no aggressive intervention-- generating lots of needless publicity and gossip--needed to be made and that she should be made comfortable which between Athma and Visalam was provided in a loving,caring abundant manner--Athma stayed the whole day and night in Kotturpuram despite that fact that his own house was in Annanagar(I have known him for over 50 years and he would be the first person who would kill me in even mentioning this--so forumites' discretion is "craved" by me!!!!
An amusing anecdote-- sometimes MSAmma would have difficulty in swallowing food which sometimes would be attributed to patients' "obstinacy" by unknowing persons watching(this was not true--simply it took a long time!!). When my mother would call Athma to find out how her "friend" is doing(on days that my mother could not visit her),Athma would "taunt" my mother saying "your friend" refuses to cooperate in eating just jokingly--my mother would take him seriously and ask to be spoken to MSAMMa and promptly my mother would "launch" into her sermon as to WHY MSAMMA should cooperate and not make Athma's and Visalam's task any more difficult--it will be more of a "rant"(my mother's typical style!!!) than a sermon--I interjected overhearing the conversation and try to reStrain my mother --I said to my mother "Remember you are talking to a Bharath Rathna"--my mother without missing a beat would say "Tut,Tut I have known her long before she became a Bharathrathna!!--she did persuade her friend to eat however!!!!--
TO MY KNOWLEDGE NOBODY COULD HAVE PUT UP WITH MY MOTHER'S RANTS(HOWEVER WELL-MEANT THEY MAY BE!!) LIKE MSAMMA--SUCH WAS THE DEPTH AND UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP!!
OUR TONGUES WOULD BE CUT IF WE SAY ANYTHING REMOTELY PERCEIVED TO BE CRITICAL OF HER FRIEND!!

The Great Lady has never spoken a harsh word against anybody in her life despite severe provocations!!

She needs to be remembered not only for her Music,Philanthropy but also for her humility,compassion and tolerance!!

The only sign--that too mostly visual that one can see when she is upset is when the eyebrows would be raised and the nostrils quivering a little more than usual( even that would deserve thousand looks!!)--she would calm down and say "Mami avargal ellorum Nandraha Irukkanam"(I wish all of them--the "harsh-sayers" well!!!

The Sanskrit adage "NA BOOTH NA BHAVISHYATH" WOULD BE THE MOST FITTING EPITAPH TO THE GREAT LADY'S LIFE!!!

TRANSLATION: THERE NEVER WAS ONE BEFORE AND NEVER WILL THERE BE ONE IN FUTURE
s

Ramasubramanian M.K

Tomorrow is MSAmma's TENTH Death Anniversary--something to be solemnly remembered and reminisced about rather than "celebrated"--a few thoughts on the last 2 years of her life--that I cherish today more than the previous 6 decades I have been fortunate enough to know her.

A certain group of "friends" amongst the Chennai elite,"miffed: that they did not have the "access" they used to enjoy when TS was alive,were spreading the rumors that MSS was not "all-that-well" as made out to be. This was not true. Yes her memory lapses were increasing--her underlying condition was not in the best of shape. The reason "access" was restricted by Athmanathan--who took excellent care till the Great Lady breathed her last--was constantly bombarded by the visItors--perhaps well-meant--with advice(none of them were Doctors and had their own share of illnesses!!)as to WHAT Athma should do and WHO should be consulted etc--Despite polite rebuttals by Athma that everything that needed to be done was being done and that he strictly follows the Doctors' advice(The Doctor couple who had been attending on the family for over 50 years--both of them endocrinoligists and both of them could recite MSAmma's charts in their sleep!!) and that the Doctors advised that no aggressive intervention-- generating lots of needless publicity and gossip--needed to be made and that she should be made comfortable which between Athma and Visalam was provided in a loving,caring abundant manner--Athma stayed the whole day and night in Kotturpuram despite that fact that his own house was in Annanagar(I have known him for over 50 years and he would be the first person who would kill me in even mentioning this--so forumites' discretion is "craved" by me!!!!
An amusing anecdote-- sometimes MSAmma would have difficulty in swallowing food which sometimes would be attributed to patients' "obstinacy" by unknowing persons watching(this was not true--simply it took a long time!!). When my mother would call Athma to find out how her "friend" is doing(on days that my mother could not visit her),Athma would "taunt" my mother saying "your friend" refuses to cooperate in eating just jokingly--my mother would take him seriously and ask to be spoken to MSAMMa and promptly my mother would "launch" into her sermon as to WHY MSAMMA should cooperate and not make Athma's and Visalam's task any more difficult--it will be more of a "rant"(my mother's typical style!!!) than a sermon--I interjected overhearing the conversation and try to reStrain my mother --I said to my mother "Remember you are talking to a Bharath Rathna"--my mother without missing a beat would say "Tut,Tut I have known her long before she became a Bharathrathna!!--she did persuade her friend to eat however!!!!--
TO MY KNOWLEDGE NOBODY COULD HAVE PUT UP WITH MY MOTHER'S RANTS(HOWEVER WELL-MEANT THEY MAY BE!!) LIKE MSAMMA--SUCH WAS THE DEPTH AND UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP!!
OUR TONGUES WOULD BE CUT IF WE SAY ANYTHING REMOTELY PERCEIVED TO BE CRITICAL OF HER FRIEND!!

The Great Lady has never spoken a harsh word against anybody in her life despite severe provocations!!

She needs to be remembered not only for her Music,Philanthropy but also for her humility,compassion and tolerance!!

The only sign--that too mostly visual that one can see when she is upset is when the eyebrows would be raised and the nostrils quivering a little more than usual( even that would deserve thousand looks!!)--she would calm down and say "Mami avargal ellorum Nandraha Irukkanam"(I wish all of them--the "harsh-sayers" well!!!

The Sanskrit adage "NA BOOTH NA BHAVISHYATH" WOULD BE THE MOST FITTING EPITAPH TO THE GREAT LADY'S LIFE!!!

TRANSLATION: THERE NEVER WAS ONE BEFORE AND NEVER WILL THERE BE ONE IN FUTURE
s

venkatakailasam

Concert 296-Smt.MS Subhulakshmi

Remembrance Day 11-12-2014

Concert Details
01_VinayakaVignaVinashaka-Hamsadwani-RaGanapati
02-nin_aruL_iyambalAgumO-MSS-kAmavardhini-P sivan
03-Thungatheera-Salagabairavi
04-rAgam_tAnam_pallavi-dharmavati-un_darisanam_Kidaikkumo_nataraja_Dayanidhe
05-Chandrasekhara Sthuthi by Sri Vijayendra Saraswathi swami
06- Kannanidam Eduthu Solladi Ambhujam Krishna
07-Jankarasruthi-S barathi
08-Mamakaparadha-Thodi
09-Ashtapathi
10- Malai pozuthinile.
Constructed:
Listen here...

http://mfi.re/listen/74y7s7as4li2tsh/Co ... akshmi.mp3

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

pranams to MS amma... May she always continue to bless and guide all of us.... :namaste: