Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Carnatic Musicians
venu sundar

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyam

Post by venu sundar »

Sangita Kalanidhi title is conferred on Sanjay and we the Carnatic Music fans are delighted to get the news and really Sanjay deserved the title as he is one of the most popular and renowned vocalist of the art of such music!Sanjay is always SPECIAL and never disappoints his fans.Another most important point of Sanjay is his concert will mesmerise the audience with such tempo that one will feel that his concert should never end!It is also a good move on the part of the Music Academy to read the pulse of the rasikas and award Sanjay at a comparitively younger age!Sanjay has the ability and hard work to innovate and keep the rasikas always in a fine
listening mood.Sanjays partnership with Varadarajan the Violnist is always
very energetic and interesting one!We all hail the award &Kudos Sanjay!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I heard this. A volunteer was in charge of arranging for the transport of musicians coming to perform at a Bangalore music festival. While many (including a young and popular one) were not that polite on the phone, Sanjay told the volunteer, 'Do not bother, sir. I will be at the venue 15 minutes ahead.' He was punctual as promised with the fellow artists. Sandeep Narayan also mentions, 'I like the way he speaks and interacts with people.' Sanjay himself mentions that he does not react in public to the comments made about his music. I find him to be very mature in conducting himself in public.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Prakashrao Narayan is showering Sanjay concerts in Youtube. I am like Kuntalavarali, glued to Sanjay's music.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Aravindan Mudaliar‎: Sanjay Subrahmanyan

வழக்கமாக நம்மை தன் சீரிய இசையால் சிலிர்க்க வைக்கும் தலைவர் நேற்று தன் ஹாஸ்ய ரசத்தால் வயிறு குலுங்க சிரிக்கவைத்தார் . வழக்கமாக சஞ்சய் சுப்ரமணியன் ஷோவில் தலைவர் நிகழ்சியை நடத்தி ஸ்ரீராமரை சிறப்பு விருந்தினராய் வரவைப்பார் நேற்றோ வரிசை கிரமம் மாற கனஜோராய் துவங்கியது சென்னைக்காரர்கள் உரையாடல் .

ஸ்ரீராம் முறையாக கேள்விகளை ஓர் வேள்வி போல் பாவித்து தயாரித்து வைத்திருந்தார் , தலைவர் பதில்களை கேள்வி முடியும் முன் கூறி நம் வாய்களை நிரந்திரமாய் திறந்தே வைத்தார் .

தனது 8 வயது வயலின் இசை பயணத்தில் துவங்கி 10 நாட்களுக்கு முன் வங்கி மேலாளரிடம் கடனுக்கு பட்ட பாடு வரை அதி அற்புதமாய் தலைவர் பேசினார் . கடந்த வந்த பாதையை திரும்பி பார்பவரே அரிது தலைவரோ அந்த பாதையில் தான் தடுக்கி விழுந்த தருணங்களையும் பட்டவர்த்தனமாய் போட்டுடைத்தார் நேற்று நிகழ்ச்சியில் அதிகம் சிரித்தது தலைவரின் தாயார் , அவர்களை வாரு வாரு என்று வாரிவிட்டார் .

தனது சென்னை அனுபவங்களை ஆத்மார்த்தமாய் வருணித்த பாங்கு , விநோத ரசிகர்களின் கோணாங்கி சேட்டைகள் என சிரிப்பு வெடிகளுக்கு பஞ்சமில்லை , சென்னை மார்கழி பருவத்தை அவர் சிலாகித்து நினைவு கூர்ந்தது மறக்கவொண்ணத் தருணங்கள் . தனது முதல் கச்சேரி குறித்து கூறும்போதும் கிரிக்கெட் பற்றி பேசும்போதும் அவரின் கண்களில் தெரிந்த ஒரு பரபரப்பு காணக்கிடைக்காத காட்சி , நாமும் சக சஞ்சய் வெறியர்களும் யாதொரு பாபமும் அறியாமல் அப்பாவியாய் அமர்ந்திருக்க , எங்களை பார்த்து வருசம் பூரா எல்லா கச்சேரியையும் கேட்டுட்டு 3.45 மணிநேரம் பாடினா இன்னும் இரண்டு பாட்டு பாடுங்கன்னு கேக்கறங்களே நியாயமா என்றால் இந்த மனிதரின் குறும்பிற்கு எல்லையே இல்லை .

தன்னுடைய சென்னை வானொலி இளைய பாரதம் கச்சேரி குறித்தும் டி.வி.ஜி குறித்தும் மிகவும் ரசித்து பேசினார் ,தலைவரின் தந்தையாயிற்றே குறும்பிற்கு கேட்கவா வேண்டும் தலைவர் அரங்கிசை பாடச் சென்றால் வாழ்த்தாமல் ஜி.என்.பி பாடனா ஸ்லாட்ல நீ பாடுறத கேட்கனுமா என்று கூறியதை நினைவு கூர்ந்தார் . மேலும் எம்.டி.ஆர் போல் சாமஜவரகமனாவிற்கு மிமிக்ரி வேறு செய்து காட்ட அரங்கு சிரிப்பில் அல்லோலகல்லோபட்டது .அமெரிக்க விசா நேர்முகம் , பாடல் பதிவுகளின் கலாட்டா , சாஸ்திரி ஹால் சாகசங்கள் என அடுக்கிக் கொண்டே போனார் நம் அடலேறு .

பார்வையாளர் கேள்வி பதிலில் நீலவான ஓடையில் பாடி நேற்று நிகழ்வுக்கு வராத நீலா மாமியை ஒருகணம் எங்கள் கண் முன் நிறுத்தினார் (நிற்க சஞ்சய் வெறியர் சங்கம் நீலா மாமியிடம் அவர் மீது ஏன் நடவடிக்கை எடுக்கக் கூடாது என்று விளக்கக்கடிதம் அனுப்பியுள்ளது ) மேலும் ஒரு இந்தி பாடலை உறுகி பாடினார் ( மெய் மறந்து கேட்டதால் பாடல் மறந்துவிட்டது ) .

தலைவர் கூறிய அனைத்து கருத்துக்களையும் ஏற்றுக்கொள்ளும் நாம் அவரின் ஒரு கருத்தை மட்டும் ஏற்கவில்லை , என்னுடைய ரசிகர் வட்டம் இந்த அரங்கு அளவுதான் என்றார் , தலைவரே தங்கள் வதனப்புத்தகத்தையே ஆயிரக்கணக்கானோர் பின்தொடருகிறோம் , ரசிகர்கள் உலகெங்கிலும் இலட்சக்கணக்கில் உள்ளோம்.

மொத்ததில் தலைவர் கூறியது போல் டிசம்பர் சீசனுக்கு முன் அதைப் பற்றி பேசினால் அந்த மூடு வந்திடும் என்றார் அதே போல் தலைவர் சங்கீத கலாநிதி வாங்க உள்ள அந்த நாளை பற்றி நேற்று அசை போட எங்கள் அனைவரையும் உற்சாகம் தொற்றிக் கொண்டது.

நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு முன் மாலை சிற்றுண்டி காபி தந்த கனவான் சென்னையின் நிர்ந்திர பின்கோடுடையார் நம் ஸ்ரீராமரை வாழ்த்தி விடைபெற்றோம் , தலைவர் இரண்டு மூனு வாட்டி நாரதகானசபான்னாரே விசயம் என்னவாயிருக்கும். மனமே கணமும் மறவாதே ஜெகதீசன் மலர் பதமே .

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

An exhaustive article, worth reading, esp. by the critics:
http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... new-master

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

S!A DELIGHTFUL EVG WD SANJAI WD SRI! GRT PATTNERSHIP FULL OF FUN WIT N HUMOR MUSIC WD BOTH SANKAY FANS!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A wonderful talk by Sanjay on Alathur brothers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxoqa3sjvug
He does not agree that varnam does not receive due attention at the beginning of a concert, saying how the brothers did a great job in singing it in the beginning. He makes several interesting points.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks for the link. Excellent speech by Sanjay on Alathur Brothers. Must listen.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Message Body

Sanjays concert at Margazhi Festival organised by Jaya TV at the Youth Hostel Hall was a very great event and Ms Subasris introduction of Muaical Super Star Sanjay @
Sanagita Klanidhi Designate of 2015-16 was a fitting one.Sanjays winning team in the nimble nice fingers of Varadu@Violin and Strong firm hands of Neyveli Venkatesh

on Mridangam opened up with tempo and speed and Sanjay took the rather unsung composer Sri Ramaswamy Sivan as his theme.I am not going into the nuances of his raga etc but i want to stress that Sanjay attracts ALL from 8 to 80year rasikas and a few were truly emotional and happy at the nicely decorated venue.I am reminded of the GOLDEN period of evergreen Madurai Mani Iyer and GNB when they used to be at the famed Kapali Temple in the 50s and 60s!Sanajay is the true Super Star@music

In one Sanjay concert perhaps you can meet ALL our friends at a time!Kudos Sanjay

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321
:D

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Aravindan Mudaliyar's post is available in FB. It is in delectable Tamizh. Not meant for tigers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/41231232597/

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sankarabharanam
From the reviews I gathered that Sanjay sang the raga with no elaboration in the concerts leading up to MA event where he took it for RTP and did full justice to it. That might have been intentional.
He referred in his speech how his father initiated him to CM along with cricket. He perhaps remembered him (Sankar) in the moment of his crowning glory.
His father may as well recall
"magan thandhaikku aatRum udhavi ivan thandhai
ennotran kol enum sol."

vasanthakokilam

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Post by vasanthakokilam »

From the blog of Aswin Sainarain linked above by kvchellappa
"During the same season, I got reacquainted with Sanjay’s version of the complete Chinnanchiru Kiliye, for whose poetic gradeur and emotional strength the more popular shorter version is a travesty!"
I felt the same way when I heard Sanjay sing Chinnanchiru Kiliye at Raja Annamalai Manram on the 29th Dec 2015. I was least expecting that kind of an emotional reaction inside me when he started the song.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There in an information that Prince Rama verma says that sanjay has not repeated even one song in a north america concert in sanjay sk speech at sadas. I think the same information came also once when Nagai murali told . I think sanjay did not repeat the main/subamin is what i think . I am not sure if all songs he did not repeat . Just wanted to correct the anomaly of miscommunication there.
Can some one tell me which year tour of sanjay -usa that ramaverma is quoting. I can stand corrected if I am wrong. Any way kudos to sanjay who has the largest repertoire.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
May be he did repeat a few songs (thukkaDAs?) obliging requests?

Well, by whichever standard he may be judged on this, how many others (though their pATAntarams may be vast) present obscure kritis on stage on a consistent basis?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Also in ramaverma speech -he should have said kutcheri paddhati was popularized by Ariyakudi and his guru Ramnad (Poochi)Srinivasa Iyengar . verma mentioned palakkad mani iyer instead of Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar.
Lovely speech for sanjay by verma

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Do watch the speech of Prince Rama varma... fantastic to say the least...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... cJ9xUMJbbo

Rajesh - i don't think prince rama varma mistook poochi with PMI... Poochi iyengarval died in 1919, way before ARI's death... It is indeed PMI who popularized kutheri paddathi along with ARI.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Acceptance speech by Sanjay (courtesy Yessel Narasiman via FB):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b9U8Jduu9A

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

pattamaa wrote: Rajesh - i don't think prince rama varma mistook poochi with PMI... Poochi iyengarval died in 1919, way before ARI's death... It is indeed PMI who popularized kutheri paddathi along with ARI.
Kutcheri paddhati was actually started by poochi Iyengar and then ariyakudi also contributed- it is a joint effort of both ariyakudi-poochi. I am only making that point . Possibly since ARI played mostly with PMI rama varma said so that it was PMI and ARI. This is the first time i am hearing attribution of PMI to kutcheri paddhati. Prior To poochi death we have had few regular concerts from 1910 11 onwards.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rajesh, I think Rama Varma meant what he said since he is quite deliberate about it. May be we are stuck on semantics of 'Creating vs Popularizing'. We should ask him to explain why he is co-crediting PMI for popularizing the formt. It is not just enough to perform with Ariyakudi to get that credit. It will be an interesting thing to learn if he can indeed substantiate it.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

I am also quite surprised to hear PMI being credited for the modern kutcheri format, in any capacity other than being a very willing participant in ARI's exercise. PMI was extremely devoted to ARI and his format, paddati and general legacy in music. I think PMI's defense of ARI is due to a great loyalty to the man than anything else. It is quite natural that he felt this profound personal (and deeply intellectual) loss on ARI's passing.

The friction between SSI and PMI has "musical" origins as well and cannot be attributed to this incident from 1967. SSI did not care for PMI's "activist" accompaniment for many years and that sentiment long precedes this alleged event from '67.

Honestly, I found Rama Varma's speech to be quite historically inexact and I could also sense that it made many people uncomfortable. If the point he wanted to make was simply that Sanjay was born after this controversy, he could have done it in many other intelligent ways.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

i think, the point he wanted to make that Sanjay is kind of reincarnation of ARI (If i read in between the lines when he said ARI died in 1967 and PMI said carnatic music is dead and when prince immediately said, ARI soul took a deep breath for an hear, and then in 1968 our kalanidhi boy was born !!)

On few points when prince said, it made me also uncomfortable - like he said few people sing in film, act in film and also go behind swamijis etc... I know he didn't have any specific vidwan / vidushi in mind.... All that he might have wanted to say that Sanjay didn't go after any publicity mode to get star value... We shouldn't treat this as degrading other vidwan, vidushis...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The practise of eulogising one at the cost of appearing to put down someone else (or even meaning to do it) is as old as the puranas. When some one gives a speech on stage in honour of someone, it has been a custom to exaggerate just like acting in Indian movies. That said, Rama Varma spoke from his heart. He has been a consistent admirer of Sanjay. He meant to put Sanjay on a high pedestal and equate him with ARI, mention that Sanjay does not consider his music god-given or accidental, but the result of aptitude and effort, and other things. Sanjay knew it while nominating him to speak! He in turn acknowledged Varmaji as his inspiration. We are used to these things and they are not Sanjay special.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pattamma
The branding and marketing machine for Sanjay is mainly chaired by Verma . Year on Year giving slots continuously for sanjay in swati sangeetosavam and taking him on a tour to swati tirunal palace .That place in trivandrum brings a lot of crowd . Most importantly taking the video camera and putting continously video snippets and uploading sanjay concerts for the past atleast 15 years. All this shows an extra abhimanam for sanjay which verma gives which is absolutely fine. I think there is a slight comparative speech as kvc mentions - not to absolutely put down others but to give sanjay a comparative showcasing effect as he is got the most coveted award.

I think going without films ,fusion, without notes etc and most important point which I think verma should have mentioned is sanjay does not sing for even one marriage concert is an extraordinary achievement for sanjay. Sanjay is my 4th present day favourite for me - what is important is classical music is not dying and with sanjay it is definitely flying high - verma reinforced that.

May be verma must have casually mentioned as to what happened to all our posts of sangeetham.com that went under water? (Just taking a cue/idea from verma there... :idea: )

varsha

Post by varsha »

i think, the point he wanted to make that Sanjay is kind of reincarnation of ARI (If i read in between the lines when he said ARI died in 1967 and PMI said carnatic music is dead and when prince immediately said, ARI soul took a deep breath for an hear, and then in 1968 our kalanidhi boy was born !!)
Thanks !!! I always thought the storks brought us !!!!
Makes me wonder who has got into me .Pl let me know . I am a 1958 beauty !!!! :lol:
For the serious seeker of the self , back to the poet ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOO5H8fBAM0

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

PMI may have been the reason for the "thani" section of the kuchery - so may be the attribution is on point.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB:
The Hindu Lit for Life
1 hr ·

‪#‎LFL2016‬ | Sing my Song: Duality of performance and creativity, of tradition and individuality – Sanjay Subrahmanyan in conversation with Nirmala Lakshman

Sanjay Subrahmanyan, who is one of the youngest Carnatic musicians to receive the prestigious Sangeetha Kalanidhi award, engaged in a lively conversation with Dr. Nirmala Lakshman on Performance and Creativity. The session began with Subrahmanyam admitting that the title, which meant a lot to him, also instilled a sense of responsibility in him.
Talking about the transition of an amateur musician to a professional one, Subrahmanyam said a bountiful society was needed to support the arts. “I cannot guarantee each person’s experience. But if 10 people have different opinions on my performance, I am happy. If everybody had the same experience, I would be a commodity, not a performer,” he said. He also spoke about how technology had made things easier and how recording his earlier concerts had helped him improve his performances.
When questioned about whether younger people had the persistence to move ahead and make good music because the Sabhas were still filled with people above 50, he said, “Had you asked me this question 30 years ago, I would have said yes, and, now too, I will say yes." He said that it had become fashionable today to say youngsters were lazy. “I think they're extremely dedicated and hardworking,” he said.
While on the one hand, he expressed his appreciation for the accompanying artists who came together to put up stellar performances, he also admitted that often, they were praised more. He also said that while he did follow up on press coverage, he realised that opinions varied and he was not always affected by all that appeared in the press. He concluded by saying that Tamil Nadu was the world’s Carnatic Music capital and if one nurtured ambitions of making it big in the industry, Chennai was indeed the right place to learn and be noticed.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

When the gentleman pressed him to find out if he reads his reviews, he mentioned, only half in jest, that he reads every tiny thing written about him in the press, social media, online fora etc. using google on those instances when the item is not explicitly tagged :-)

There was a very interesting exchange with a young man who was asking him about his "responsility" for evangelizing carnatic music among the vast unwashed masses. He said that he was only a single private individual & he had no anxiety about the art form dying out. The whole exchange included segues into cricket, current affairs etc. kind of like one of his fly by the seat of his pants neraval.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

"When one member from the audience asked if he has done anything at all to spread and increase the reach of carnatic music on a grassroot level (What the question-asker intended to know was if SS was going to schools and doing anything tangible to increase the awareness of carnatic music), SS was gracious and grounded enough to accept that he hasn’t done anything of that sort."
Full article of impressions by a CA:
https://meghasreeram.wordpress.com/2016 ... bramaniam/

varsha

Post by varsha »

He was not gracious . He was insularly arrogant and oblivious to the concerns of the guy asking the question.
CM will survive . Dont worry about that .
The guy continued to push his question :
You said SK was a responsibility on you . Do you feel obliged to take it to the corners of ... ( The point of schools etc came at the end when he was almost drowned out ) .
Answer was ... no need for all that NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO CM

Pathetic set of questions by the festival Director.
Saving grace was none of the responses had little to do with the questions .
Nabokov , Wodehouse , Hemingway(rewrote old man and the sea 53 times-aargh !!!) , MLVs manirangu rtp , Trevor Bailey , Cricket , impossibility of singing expansive devagandharees , tamil isai - dravidian movement , if "nednuris raramaintiga" why not my " va velavaa " , "gnb"s singing of the same song in quick succession versus his own doing that " .... All were fodder for a hapless audience .( discounting the cheer leaders)
He and his entourage would have done well to stay on for the next session . I was rebooted for living life to the fullest extent by Raghu Rai in just 45 minutes of pristine interviewing .Each phrase , each word coming forth from this genius was worth a million bucks .
48 hours later , I still have my goose bumps

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks Varsha for a factual report.

varsha

Post by varsha »

kvc
that was a report of my perceptions.facts...wait for the youtube upload if and when it comes along:)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

varsha wrote: He was not gracious . He was insularly arrogant and oblivious to the concerns of the guy asking the question.
CM will survive . Dont worry about that .
Why do you say "oblivious"? He addressed the concern directly.
The guy continued to push his question :
You said SK was a responsibility on you . Do you feel obliged to take it to the corners of ... ( The point of schools etc came at the end when he was almost drowned out ) .
Yes. Looks like you got the message. CM is not surviving because it appeals to large number of people. It survives because it draws passionate people towards it who make it their life mission to make it shine a bit brighter.
Pathetic set of questions by the festival Director.
I disagree. The idea was to get the SK talking and she succeeded quite well.

He and his entourage would have done well to stay on for the next session . I was rebooted for living life to the fullest extent by Raghu Rai in just 45 minutes of pristine interviewing .Each phrase , each word coming forth from this genius was worth a million bucks .
48 hours later , I still have my goose bumps
I enjoyed that one too, Would have been nice to see some of those photos that Raghu Rai was talking about, Not sure if it would have been enough for goosebumps.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Nice to know both of us think . Even if on different lines. Cheers. :lol:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

As long as you are willing to give the benefit of doubt :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is the interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omMolRDT_uo
I enjoyed it. He makes the right noises, of course, in his rambunctious style.

arasi

Post by arasi »

In tamizh, it would have gone like this: kavalaiyE paDAdengO. namma sangItam ennikkum pizhaichirukkum...a round of applause.

The vehemence (emphasis, guys!) in tamizh expression, its larger than life characteristics and Sanjay's rather emphatic ways of speaking to top, may have misled some to think
that he was arrogant. In tamizh, it would have been fine. Even there, his intense way of speaking in MUU made some think that his professing no faith in miracles meant that he had no faith at all, period.

I thought the interviewer was fine, eliciting responses without interrupting. His calling a spade a spade perhaps does not sit well with some who expect artistes to have a romantic air about them, a distance.

Professionalism, of which he speaks often and practices diligently cannot be ignored. A surgeon could be a manic golfer, but what concerns us is what he is like as a professional in the operating room. Sanjay's cricket parlance is beyond me at times, but his articulation and expressive ways convey his ideas to me all the same.

AND, what he is as a performer on stage is our concern. Punctual in arriving, no
fussing with mikes and wasting everyone's time when the crowd is focused on listening to music. Prompt in starting the concert, and singing wholeheartedly for a good three hours or more--all worth my while...

And hey, elitist I am not--in the sense their sticking to the past masters alone, not budging an inch to make room for a few latter day hopefuls....

How did I get to like his music so much over the years? Taking himself seriously and striving all along, he delivers the best he can, and that's what it is--not forgetting the merits he possesses, by the way...:)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Comments on Sanjay by someone who must be new to music, judging by the encomium!
டி.வி.ஜி சஞ்சய் குறித்து மிக அருமையாய் பேசினார் , ஓரு காலத்தில் சென்னை வானொலியில் தலைவர் அரங்கிசை பாட வந்த போதும் எங்கேயாக்கும் வந்தாய் என்ற டி.வி.ஜி. இன்று சங்கீத கலாநிதி சஞ்சய்க்கு பாராட்டுரை கூறிய காட்சி மிகவும் நெகிழ்ச்சிக்குரியது , உனக்கு 10 டாக்டரேட் கிடைக்கும் இருக்கும் எல்லா விருதும் கிடைக்கும் சங்கீதகாரா ராகத்தோடு நல்ல உச்சரிப்போடு பாடுவது , பிறரை மகிழவித்து பாடுவது , பிறரும் மகிழ்ந்து தானும் ரசித்து பாடுவது , சஞ்சய் இதெல்லாம் தாண்டி இன்னும் சங்கீதத்தில் நான் செய்ய ஒன்னும் இருக்கப்படாதுன்னு ஒரு வெறியோடு எல்லாத்தையும் கத்துக்கிட்டு இருக்கார் , தினமும் கத்துக்கறார் என்று அந்த மனிதர் பாலக்காட்டுத் தமிழில் சொல்ல சொல்ல அரங்கில் அனேகம் பேர் கண்களில் ஜலம் , தலைவரின் ஜாலம் அப்படி , எனக்கு நீ சிஷ்யனா அமையலியே சஞ்சய் என்று அவர் ஆதங்கப்பட தலைவர் பட்டென்று நான் என்னிக்குமே உங்க சிஷ்யன்தான் என்று பதிலளிக்க உணர்ச்சிப்பெருங்கடலில் நம்மை மறந்தோம். தலைவருக்கு மரியாதை செய்யும் டி.வி.ஜி தரையிலிருக்க தலைவர் மேடையிலிருந்து தாவிக்குதித்து கிழே வந்து மரியாதைப் பெற்றுக்கொண்டோர் , ஸ்ரீமுஷ்ணம் மரியாதை செய்ய மேடையில் நிற்க தலைவர் உடன் மேடையேறி மரியாதை ஏற்றுக்கொண்டார் இருவர் காலிலும் விழுந்து வணங்கினார் , மேலே இருந்தாலும் கீழே வரத்தயங்கவில்லை , கீழே வந்ததால் உடன் மேலே சென்றார் , சங்கீத கலாநிதி வந்தாலும் மூத்த கலைஞர்களுக்கு முதல் ஆளாய் மரியாதை தரும் தலைவரின் பாங்கு இளைய கலைஞர்களுக்கு பாடம் , சஞ்சய் பாட்டுக்கு மாத்திரம் நாம் பித்தரில்லை இந்த உயர் குணங்களுக்கும்தான்.
(Excerpts from Aravindan Mudaliyar’s review)
A gist:
That TVG who once asked Sanjay in AIR studio what he was there for years ago spoke today in his praise was touching. He said, ‘Sanjay will get 10 doctorates and all the awards. Sanjay sings the ragas soulfully and sticks to pronouncing the words accurately. He sings to please the audience and enjoys singing himself. He goes after new facets of CM with a passion that there shall remain nothing not done by him. He learns new things everyday even today.’ As TVG spoke in Palakkad Tamizh, tears filled the eyes of many in the audience. When TVG expressed his anguish that Sanjay was not his student, Sanjay said, ‘I am always your student.’
Sanjay stepped down from the dais and received the honours. Seeing Sri Mushnam stand up on the dais to honour him, he went up to receive it. He prostrated to both of them.
We, the fans of Sanjay, like not just his music, but his values overall.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, here comes!

tamizh, as I tried to say before, can also be explosively expressive (think Sivaji). Aravinda Mudaliar is all tamizh in that. Being a tamizhachi myself, I love reading his writing. His enthusiasm expands a mere review to a dramatic tale, with characters materializing from the classics. His florid style brims with spirit, ornate adjectives and sprinkles of humor.

As Chellappa says, here's a newcomer to CM (very musically inclined nonetheless it seems). The past year or so, Aravinda Mudaliar has grown right in front of our eyes in his appreciation of serious CM, thanks to the company he keeps with more knowledgeable rasikAs. A bit of Canterbury Tales, Pickwick Papers and such it all is--and above all, it's a teeming love for music poured into his reviews.

CM's future doesn't seem dim to me, with music lovers like Aravinda Mudaliar and his delightful companions around... ;)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

varsha wrote: The guy continued to push his question :
Wow! The answer was even better than I remembered. His answer was that he sings even more and has accepted even more concerts after receiving the SK award. That is the way he believes he can best propagate the music.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I feel Sanjay answered the questioner to the point. The responsibility Sanjay had in mind was about his personal commitment to excellence in music. He clarified that and the questioner must have realised the wrong take he had on it. As to propagating CM, Sanjay was matter of fact, he did not do what the questioner had in mind. As to the concern of the questioner about the future of CM, Sanjay assured him that it was not in doubt. Sanjay was cryptic, but answered the questions honestly. He did not put down the questioner or evade answering. If such an impression is gained, it is due to the style of Sanjay, it is not in the content.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

This was in FB. I enjoyed listening. It shows how much he has been in love with art (his comparison with painting) and how diligently he has worked to be what he is today. A mixture of reverence and questioning towards getting to the roots and excelling.

Sanjay Subrahmanyan-speech-study on G.N.Balasubramanyan's concerts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fLP0kJGTII

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB:
"Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan is that wondrous artist, who NEVER takes his audience for granted. "

Navaratri Mandapam Concert- by Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Maa Laa Iyer·Tuesday, October 11, 2016
So what is this Navaratri Mandapam concert? It is an annual concert series that is held at the Navaratri Mandapam adjacent to the Padmanabhaswami temple in Trivandrum. This has been a 100 plus- year old festival where great musicians and stalwarts have performed. What’s so different about this concert from the others? I hear you ask. This is not a regular concert but one that happens as a “samarpanam” to the Goddess. So everyone including the artists and audience are expected to be adhering to norms- The gentlemen are to be in veshti/mundu and the women in sarees- the concert happens in front of the “Devi”’s sannadhi and no artifical lighting allowed. Tall oil lamps will light the concert platform that is decorated elaborately with flowers. Nobody is allowed to clap or get up and leave half way through the concert-everyone leaves after the concert finishes and the rituals are complete for the deity. A tradition that is rigidly followed , and when adhered to, gives oneself and the air-a complete aura of divinity and that blissful feeling of traveling back in time.

Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan, for those who do not know, is a South Indian classical vocalist, of the Carnatic tradition. He is a stalwart of the current times and regularly sings at the Navaratri Mandapam festival- At this festival, the songs sung are the compositions of Maharaja Shri Swati Thirunal- Who had composed many kritis- and specifically nine Kritis (songs)for the nine days of Navaratri. This year Shri Sanjay elaborated on the raaga Naatakurinji and the kriti was Pahi Janani.
With that introduction to the novice, let me get into what this year meant to me. I am now part of a group of people that regularly attends Shri Sanjay’s concerts -we make schedules, form groups, have conference calls and hop cities, just to listen to him . Coming to think of it, its become sort of a cliche and one could easily wonder what’s so special about these experiences. What makes us want to do it over and over again?
If I have to frame it in one line its that feeling of experiencing something “Larger Than Life”. Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan is that wondrous artist, who NEVER takes his audience for granted. In tangible terms, it could be the choice of kritis, the work that goes into it, the audience-sensitive approach, the rare combination of genius+reach. But beyond all this, there is something larger than life to it. Something that makes the listener break down internally, all the elements merging into his music that fills the air. That sense of self- blurring in that “collective” atmosphere. That connect which just can’t be put in words or explained in alpha and beta terms. Something that makes you feel you have been extremely fortunate and handpicked to be part of that experience..
Which is why, personally to me as a rasika, a Sanjay concert cannot be just a list of songs-Yes we go there for the kritis, we love the raagams, we would love to delve deep into his swarams -and specifically in the Navaratri mandapam concert, his Bhaavam rules. You open your eyes, you can hear his voice provide perfect backdrop to that darkness lit by oil lamps. You close your eyes, you feel the bhaavam in his music which touches the innermost chamber of your soul....and you travel somewhere beyond Shri Sanjay’s mortal presence and your mortal presence in that mandapam. And in that realm, the details fade. It doesn’t matter whether he sings an unfamiliar raagam (Bhavapriya) or whether he sings something as familiar as Mamava Sadha Janani. With Shri Sanjay, it doesn’t matter!! For it all merges into ONE experience.
:)))HAVING SAID THAT I write this note because, I also received requests of details of the concert so here they are :
Sarasijanabha - Khambodi Ada thala Varnam
Mamava Sada - Kanada
Palaya Sada - Nalinakanti
Mamava Asrita - Bhavapriya
Pahi Janani - Natakurinji
Bhavaye - Punnagavarali
Karuna Nidhan - Charukesi
Reena Madaanuta - Behag
And what musicians, we are fortunate to listen to along with Shri Sanjay. Shri Varadarajan Santhanam whose excellence seems to be peaking with each passing concert-He takes the experience to whole new levels, as the regular listener can easily guage. Shri Varadu is not just that stalwart violinist, he is also that rasika, who along with us completely enjoys the experience, and he always speaks like a rasika too. Do not be surprised when you hear “The concert was awesome” from him after the concert-For its that essential rasika in him that speaks :) Nanjil Shri Arul and Shri Sudheer on the mridangam and ghatam respectively,those undertones that were sheer suddha shruthi to the ears. And in that lamp -lit darkness, the tone-perfect percussion provided the perfect balance to the bhaavam emerging from the vocals and the violin. And our favorite Vidwan Neyveli B Venkatesh sir, had also joined us as a rasika, we all sat in silence as this larger than life experience unfolded in those couple of hours.
I would recommend this experience to any rasika of pure music, and particularly every fan of Shri Sanjay and his team. This experience is worth leaving behind your kolus for a few hours, whereas it would be a major regret if you don’t have the experience even once in your lifetime :)
And as I reminisce on last year’s Devi Paavane in Saveri, and this year’s Pahi Janani in Naatakurinji, I know my drives and waits and spaces in time would be filled by the recordings of these, discussions and debates with fans from everywhere and particularly God’s Own Country- for the next 365 days... And I await more precious raagams and renditions from this team in the years to come. And we will continue to form friendships, make memories and travel for, by and of Shri Sanjay’s music.....
And continue to break down in uncontrollable tears like I did for his beautiful Bhavapriya 48 hours back...