Gayatri Venkataraghavan & Party at Chapel Hill, NC on April 2nd 2016

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
hamirkalyani123

Gayatri Venkataraghavan & Party at Chapel Hill, NC on April 2nd 2016

Post by hamirkalyani123 »

Violin: Mysore V. Srikanth
Mridangam: Neyveli Skanda Subramaniam

Venue: Rosneau Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill

Organizers: SIFAA (http://sifaa.org/) and Duke-UNC Sangeet

1 Sri ragam varnam - garbha puri vasa
2 Vallabha nayakasya - Begada, MD, Swarams
3. Piravaram tharum - Lathangi, Papanasam Sivan (alapana, Neraval at Parvati, swarams)
4 narayana enna nama - Shuddha dhanyasi, purandara dasa
5. Paramatmudu - vagadeeswari - tyagaraja
6. Ninne namminanu - Todi, syama sastry (alapana, neraval at karunya moorthy kamakshi, swarams) and thani
7. Ninuvina - navarasa kannada - tyagaraja
8 - rtp - brindavana saranga - brindavana saranga padame thune neela megha krishna with raga malika
Raga list that shifted back and forth between vocal and violin were: (Varali, Abheri, Saranga,Saranga kauns) in the same order.
9. Hiranmayi lakshim - Lalita
10 Saranagata vatsala - Yaman, Bhadrachala Ramadas (set to tune by Malladi suri babu garu)
11 - sindhu bhairavai composition with viruttam (didn't catch who the composer was)
12. Dhanasri Tillana - Swati Tirunal
13. Mangalam

Gayatri V was at her supreme best in a concert that lasted almost 3.5 hrs. The artists came from Cleveland where they had a concert the previous night and landed early AM for a 5 PM concert in Raleigh. And, there was not any sign of tiredness in all of them.

Her voice is melodic and can traverse quite easily in all the octaves. The RTP was a request from Self and she duly obliged with a beautiful Pallavi (I think it was set in Khanda Jati Triputa). Srikanth and Neyveli Skanda were just brilliant and they seem to gel well together as a team. I recall their concert back in 2011 November timeframe when they visited Raleigh. NOTE: In the ragamalika, Mysore Srikanth told me that it was Saranga Kauns that he played as I had no idea of that raga before and could not recognize it.

There was an audience request right after RTP to sing Hiranmayim which she duly obliged although she did say we may have to sit right through the night if I sing that now:-)

All in all a great concert with Todi as Main piece and Lathangi as sub-main. What more can a rasika expect of a concert that had all the ingredients.
Last edited by hamirkalyani123 on 06 Apr 2016, 02:22, edited 3 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Gayatri Venkataraghavan & Party at Chapel Hill, NC on April 2nd 2016

Post by rajeshnat »

hamirkalyani
1 2 rather 3 great things happened in this concert
hamirkalyani123 wrote: Gayatri V was at her supreme best in a concert that lasted almost 3.5 hrs.
The RTP was a request from Self and she duly obliged with a beautiful Pallavi in brindavana saranga (I think it was set in Khanda Jati Triputa).

here was an audience request right after RTP to sing Hiranmayim which she duly obliged although she did say we may have to sit right through the night if I sing that now:-)
I am especially happy to hear the request for hiranmayeem post pallavi . It speaks NC has a serious and praiseworthy rasikas. It looks you are an organzier keep up with your great posts. RTP was missing in few of your past concert postings, now RTP is back in RTP.

Keept up the great show Gayathri Venkat-mys shrikanth - neyvel skanda. LOoks US tour is underway for the team. Best wishes

hamirkalyani123

Thanks rajeshnat for ur encouraging words on NC audience.

hameerk

Post by hameerk »

10 Saranagata RakshaNa Birudanine Sarananti Kadayya - Yamuna Kalyani , Bhadrachala Ramadas (set to tune by Malladi suri babu garu)

hamirkalyani123

Thanks for the correction my namesake hameerk.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Oh, I thought you were the same person! :)

hamirkalyani123

Hmm, same raga but rendered differently (carnatic vs hindustani styles). LOL...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Isn't the Hindustani equivalent of hamIrkalyANi kEdAr?

mkal

Post by mkal »

It was an enjoyable concert. All the more impressive given their travel schedule! Vaagadeeshwari was lovely; long time since I heard that raga. Very impressive brighas especially in the anupallavi sangatis of ninnuvina namadendu. RTP was in khanda jati triputa (2 kalai) from what I could tell. The kalpanaswara in saranga was rendered so as to end right before the word "saranga" of the pallavi IIRC. hamirkalyani, thanks for checking with Srikanth about the raga saranga kauns. I drew a blank there myself. Skandasubramaniam's gumkis were very nice. Got the feeling that they could have easily gone on for another hour, no sag in the energy levels at all :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rshankar wrote:Isn't the Hindustani equivalent of hamIrkalyANi kEdAr?
But we have only kedaram on rasikas, IIRC

minisantu

Post by minisantu »

Smt Gayatri Venkatraghavan's concert was exquisite and thorough.
Vagadheeshwari and Lalitha were my personal highlights and am grateful to her for obliging the request.
Sindhubhairavi was the other audience request.
I believe the viruttam was from Thirupugazh; the song was 'Manadirk-kughandadu murugan rUpam' composed by Sri. Tanjaavoor Shankara Aiyyar.