DR. VIJAYALAKSHMI SUBRAMANIAM IN AYODHYA MANDAPAM- 20/4/16

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

DR. VIJAYALAKSHMI SUBRAMANIAM IN AYODHYA MANDAPAM- 20/4/16

Post by CRama »

As a part of the on going Ramanavami festival, the concert of Dr. Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam accompanied by Kumbakonam M.R.Gopinath on the violin, Thanjavur Ramadas on the Mridangam and Trichy Murali on the Ghatam was held on 20/4/16. Even though the concert had to start at 7.00 PM, because the previous concert extended a little, the concert started at 7.20 P.M only. List of songs.

1. Pranamamyaham- Gowla- MV (S)
2. Manaviyalakimchara- Nalinakanthi-T (S)
3. Thoomani madathu-Hameerkalyani- Thiruppavai (R)
4. Rajuvedala joothamu raare-Thodi T (R,N,S)
5. Bhogeendrasayinam- Kunthalavarali
6. Nannu palimpa-Mohanam (R,S)
7. Tani
8. Slokam-Sree Ramam Dasarathmajam- Dharmavathy, Hindolam, Khamas, Revati
9. Karunajaladhe-Nadanamakriya-T
10. Bhajan - Peelu-Tulsi Das
11. Asato ma- Shanti Mantra

I have been waiting for long to hear a concert of Dr. Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam, for I could not attend her concert in the bygone season. Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam, holding a doctorate in music, has a pleasant and sonorous voice. Having trained under many great masters of yore including S.Rajam and TRS, she has an enviable repertoire of rare compositions of Deekshitar, Koteeswara Iyer and other vaggeyakaras. Her concerts in the Deekshitar Akhandam every year will feature many unheard kritis of Deekshitar. Her vocal recital is always marked by good shruti alignment, towering aesthetics and absolute classism. Her music spreads an aura of peace and intensity and never sacrifices aesthetics for virtuosity. Her perfection gained with discipline, unswerving commitment to the values and steadfastness in adhering to the intensity leaves a lasting impression in the minds of the listeners.

In today’s concert, the choice of songs was most appropriate for the Rama Navami festival. The opening song, invocation to Lord Ganesha was a fitting start to the concert and laced with a few bouts of attractive swaras at the pallavi. Manaviyalakinchara which came next added the required gusto to the concert. There were many TRS ish sangathis which brought to me the memories of the great vidwan in handling this kriti with innovative sangathis and unique swara patterns. The alapana of Hameerkalyani was very sweet and marked by authentic sancharams and never crossed the boundaries. The Andal Tiruppavai was rendered in a delectable manner. The next alapana was Thodi. It was too early for the main song and hence I guessed right- it was the First main song, much above the standard of a sub main. Raga Thodi was presented with all the characteristic pidis, with brighas, gamakams, jarus,, long akara sangathis, all in right proportions, her voice in fine felicity traversing three octaves with consumable ease. The alapana took seven minutes weaving attractive patterns around the jeeva swaras. The Sreerangam Pancharathna kriti of Thyagaraja was a fit choice at this juncture. This Roopaka tala kriti has been a favourite of many masters of the past like ARI, KVN who selected this song to be presented before the main song which they invariably chose a vilamba kala Adi 2 kalai or misrachapu kriti. The song Raju vedala was presented with all the sangathis in the strict patantharam with elaborate neraval at Kaveri teeramunanu paavanamagu rangapurini which reflected the myriad hues of the ragam in an aesthetic manner. Elaborate doses of second kala swaras added colour to the song. The entire song took 25 minutes. Hence my naming it as first main song instead of sub main. The colourful rendition of Bhogeendrasayinam as the next song revealed a different dimension to the concert till now.

The (second) main raga chosen was Mohanam and I immensely liked this Thodi- Mohanam combo. The elaborate alapana of Mohanam which took 12 minutes was a joy to hear. The akaara sudham of VS leashing out an alapana of such intensity that the raga obtained a great grandeur. I particularly appreciate her choice of Nannu palimpa for main as it had been ages since I heard Nannu palimpa as main in a live concert. Eshewing neraval, obviously because of time constraints, the concert had a delayed start, VS directly went to swaras in two kalams at Vanaja nayana. The swaras had many attractive patterns in it which made it a ati mohanamana mohanam culminating in an attractive koraippu. This was followed by tani which ran for about 10 minutes. The post tani items brought a high devotional fervour appropriate for a Ramanavami concert. In the slokam, her seamless foray into Nadanamakriya from Revati revealed her considerable vidwat.

Kumbakonam M.R.Gopinath faithfully followed VS in her alapanas with his sweet bowing and his violin returns were marked by manodharmam, swara sudham and azhutham. The alapanas of Thodi, Mohanam and Hameerkalyani were much appreciated by the audience. Tanjore Ramadas had good anticipation and understanding due to long experience of following great vocalists. He has good nadam and nidanam and embellished the concert significantly with his deft strokes and right volume. Trichy Murali jelled well with Ramadas in supporting the concert.
The concert for slightly more than two hours had the serenity, class, and content as one would always expect from Dr.Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam.

HarishankarK

Re: DR. VIJAYALAKSHMI SUBRAMANIAM IN AYODHYA MANDAPAM- 20/4/16

Post by HarishankarK »

Very nice review covering all aspects.

sbopparaju

Post by sbopparaju »

Crama- great review!
Dr. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam is an awesome musician, with a huge repertoire of krithis and ragas (especially the so called vivadis) !
Regret having missed this concert!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: The entire song took 25 minutes. Hence my naming it as first main song instead of sub main.
Crama,
For a rasika who has spent lot of time hearing TRS in live concerts , I was looking from you for more appetite. You are characterizing sub main itself as main. Tx for your lovely review , i am particularly interested in hearing that ragamaliga slokham.

CRama

Post by CRama »

In two concerts, this concert and RKM concert, the so called sub main was so intense and elaborate with all the requisites of a main song, like elaborate alapana, neraval, swaras that I wrote there are two mains.

To satiate your appetite for TRS, I mentioned that Nalinkanti. In vocal music, I have never heard any body excelling TRS in Nalinakanthi. The sangathis at Gannudaina and the swaras- simply out of the world. TRS also has sung Nannu palimpa as main kriti in many concerts. In one concert in Bangalore Malleswaram Sangeeta Sabha, he sang swaras at palimpa.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

The 'first main' concept is nice, CRama. On many occasions, I have observed that the first main often fares better than the second!
Well, VS deserves appreciation for reviving Nanu palimpa. Years ago I had listened to TRS who gave lot of poruttam swaras at the Pallavi. (Those were the times-1980s-when Lalgudi and TRS were leading the poruttam wave).
Nannu palimpa is one kriti taken to the rasikas by the Maharajapuram parampara.
Mohana Rama is another kriti now not very frequent at concerts.
Rajuvedala is also a good choice. (ARI famed ).
Good that VS has started off with a 'pillayar kriti'. Of late this custom too seems to thin out!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Nothing is heard about Dr. V.S since few months. Is Vidushi in India or abroad?
Just curious.
Thanjavooran
06 11 2017

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Nada Inbam schedule:
Sunday
6.15 p.m. Nadopasana – Vijayalakshmi Subramanian,
K.J.Dileep, S.J.Arjun Ganesh, Trichy Murali

thanjavooran