Arun Kashalkar

Classical Music of North India
narayan

Arun Kashalkar

Post by narayan »

Independence Day concert by Arun Kashalkar in Sangeet Mahabharati, Mumbai this morning. Gripping music. Arun Kashalkar is Ulhas Kashalkar's elder brother, equally talented, and lesser known (my friend refers to him simply as "Mycroft"!) and now 81 years old, I believe. He sang Komal Rishabh Asavari, something called Pancham, which was quite nice (just a little bit like Carnatic Music's Kannada, but not quite), Ramkali and then Jaunpuri. I had to leave before the concluding Bhairavi, reluctantly. He is adept in many gharanas, but sang what I believe is Agra gharana style today. I commend this gharana to all CM lovers, as it is quite a bit madhyama kalam, mostly in the middle octave and with a lot of words and strong rhythm and syllables articulated, and the tempo is something many will relate to.

The man is just soaked in music and can and probably does sing all day and night and with raags very firmly etched in his mind. His voice is not pliable at slower speeds and he is quite hesitant in hitting the top sa at full volume for any length of time, at his age. It did not matter in the least!

There are some recordings on the internet, so please have a listen, and catch him live whenever you can. He is a noteworthy composer as well.

rajeshnat

Re: Arun Kashalkar

Post by rajeshnat »

narayan wrote: I had to leave before the concluding Bhairavi, reluctantly.
narayan
Bhairavi of HM = SindhuBhairavi of CM right.

narayan

Post by narayan »

rajeshnat,
Right!
Bhairavi is also a thaat in HM, refer to Rsachi's recent post on this topic in this same section.
Just to make life a little confusing, the Bhairavi thaat is akin to our Todi and their Todi is akin to our Subhapantuvarali. Their Asavari has nothing to do with our Asaveri, but Kalyan thaat is like our Kalyani and Kafi and Khamaj have the obvious connections.
Although HM does not have all these melakarta and janya business, the raga identity is very clear in HM and in some cases more sharp than in CM.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Narayan
It was wonderful to check out.What a Kedar!!!
Thank you so much

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Think he is singing at Kalakshetra next week for the Svanubhava festival

varsha

Post by varsha »

I commend this gharana to all CM lovers, as it is quite a bit madhyama kalam, mostly in the middle octave and with a lot of words and strong rhythm and syllables articulated, and the tempo is something many will relate to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENOCPkXdHM

sn ratanjankar and disciples would attend december festival full time , for many years
D

varsha

Post by varsha »

I commend this gharana to all CM lovers, as it is quite a bit madhyama kalam, mostly in the middle octave and with a lot of words and strong rhythm and syllables articulated, and the tempo is something many will relate to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENOCPkXdHM

SN Ratanjankar and disciples would attend December festival full time , for many years
Dinakar Kaikini would go on to compose for HM inspired by CM Paddhati- released books of his compositions too.
CR Vyas stayed fascinated with MDR And composed a piece on MDR which went like Sajjan Gun Gavo .
KG Ginde-SCR Bhatt duo was a hit in chennai informal concert circles and at SGS sabha in the 60s . Oldtimers went gaga over their jhinjhoti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JGaD8RV7g

Sriram Parasurams utterances through lectures and singing and playing is a fine example of this amalgamation .

varsha

Post by varsha »

Think he is singing at Kalakshetra next week for the Svanubhava festival
Suresh You will like it. Cant make it myself , since I have to work on that day .
pApi pEth . :twisted:
Am still a dalit having to work in a ghetto for my daily bread :)
Let us know how you liked it.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arun Kashalkar concert at kalakshetra is mentioned as on the final day Aug 24 10:30 AM

narayan

Post by narayan »

rajeshnat wrote:Arun Kashalkar concert at kalakshetra is mentioned as on the final day Aug 24 10:30 AM
The facebook page says 9:00 a.m. on 24th. Extract below.

Svanubhava 2016 – Schedule

Monday, August 22nd
9.00am – Inauguration by Suguna Varadachari with N. Murali (President, Music Academy) & Priyadarshini Govind (Director, Kalakshetra)
9.15am – Mohiniattam by Dr. Neena Prasad
10.15am – Carnatic Vocal by Suguna Varadachari (vocal), R. Hemalatha (violin) & B. Ganapathyraman (mrdangam)
12.15pm – Performance by the students of Kalakshetra
1.30pm – Paraiattam by Friends Kalai Kuzhu

Tuesday, August 23rd
Special Guest – N. Gopalaswami (Chairman, Kalakshetra)
9.00am – Musical Play by Gowri Ramnarayan with Sujit, M. Vijay, K.H. Vineeth, V. Sai Subramanaiam
10.30am – Bharatanatyam by Meenakshi Srinivasan
12.30pm – Namasankirtanam by Udayalur Kalyanaraman
1.30pm – Nagaswaram Concert by Mambalam M.K.S. Siva

Wednesday, August 24th
9.00am – Hindustani Vocal by Arun Kashalkar
10.30am – Tamil Play by Chennai Kalaikuzhu – Payanam, directed by Pralayan
12.30pm – A brief insight into the documentary ‘Yaadhum’ – a film about Tamil Muslim history & identity along with commentary by filmmaker Kombai S. Anwar followed by Tamil Sufi Music by The Nagore Sufi Trio
1.45pm – Tala Vadyam by N.C. Bharadwaj (mrdangam), S. Swaminathan (khanjira), S. Sunil Kumar (Tavil), S. Krishna (ghatam)
7.00pm – Concert by N. Ravikiran (chitraveena), Nagai R. Sriram (violin), Neyveli R. Narayanan (mrdangam), K.V. Gopalakrishnan (khanjira)

Evening Workshops (Starting at 4pm, entry by registration only)
-Music Workshop by N. Vijay Siva - https://goo.gl/forms/W3OlBtiychHZIFuj2
-Dance Workshop by Bragha Bessel - https://goo.gl/forms/XAoPct93YL1DAmax2
-‘Does Art Unlock the doors to Learning?’ – A hands-on workshop on art and creativity in education by Ms. Prema Rangachary and faculty from VidyaVanam, Anaikatti (A school for underprivileged and tribal children) - https://goo.gl/forms/TFn3qomDFeCu0vKt1

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thanks narayan that makes a huge difference in announcing wrongly that Arun concert is at 10 30 instead of 9 AM , considering that the concert is only 90 minutes.