Learning gamakas using the AMS book notation

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
violin_balan

Learning gamakas using the AMS book notation

Post by violin_balan »

(I know this topic generates quite a bit of heated debate about whether this is the right way to do things. So, let me say that I'm an old re-learner of the violin and I'm happy to digest material at my (very) slow pace and learn from it; youtube videos and materials works for me best :) ).

Has anyone here figured out "techniques" to interpret the gamaka notations? The book states that the notations follow the travelling of the sound but it does not always seem that way to me. I also find that the notation does not match the playing on some of the notes in his violin videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXWBRp0EYk , for instance, Ma on the up, Ni on the down seem to use a different gamaka than the book notation).

I would appreciate if anyone would share tips, guidances on how to go about learning gamakas from the AMS book. Even otherwise, how to go about doing that in general. I have been training my ear and can pick up changes in tone within a gamaka but still not good enough to figure out the actual movement or the duration on the violin although I can do it via vocalization or in my mind.

Thank you!

raguanu

Re: Learning gamakas using the AMS book notation

Post by raguanu »

Gamaka symbols are, as the name indicates, merely symbols; however close might they mimic the actual sound or oscillations, they are not detailed instructions on executing the respective gamakas on voice or instruments. Learning a specific gamakam and learning the symbol associated with it are two separate processes. Compare learning driving vs knowing road signs.

I'm not saying Gamaka symbols are not useful; I'm just saying looking at symbols to learn the gamakas in the first place, without proper guidance or authentic reference, may not be the right thing. That said, Sri. Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma has made audio recordings of the gamakams for which he has given symbols. If you are confident of your listening skills and are willing to invent your own violin technique, give these recordings an extensive study.

Here are some general observations about gamakas. You should watch for them because you are on your own:
  • Many phrases can be executed in different ways, with different gamakas for same notes. So don't be alarmed if the book specifies some gamaka and some video/audio recording has a different version.
  • Gamakas do change with speed. A more elaborate gamaka can be played in slow speed. The same phrase may be played with a different gamaka when played fast (lesser number of oscillations or slightly simplified version, or no gamaka at all!). I'm not sure whether such variations are incorporated in print.
Pay special attention to anuswarams. They are not so easy to grasp simply by listening to recordings. Playing anuswarams properly adds needed sparkle to gamakams. Without them your play will sound dull with simple glides up and down.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Learn from a teacher, IMHO, is far far far better.

Thank you,
Ananth Pattabi

msakella

Re: Learning gamakas using the AMS book notation

Post by msakella »

Even though this topic relates to the learning of violin this has been written under a different main-thread. Hence I happened to see it today only and responding now accordingly. At the first instance, by reading this post, I have recollected the story of ‘wolf & lamb’.

In the said url link of the video I have played the Arohana and Avarohana of Shankarabharana-raga four-times. You wrote “The book states that the notations follow the travelling of the sound but it does not always seem that way to me. I also find that the notation does not match the playing on some of the notes in his violin videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXWBRp0EYk , for instance, Ma on the up, Ni on the down seem to use a different gamaka than the book notation)”.

In this respect our brother-member ‘raguanu’ had already given an excellent reply. If the brother-member ‘violin-balan’ is not satisfied with this reply he can give his version in detail along with a video-file. Even before that I shall be thankful if the relevant definitions along with the respective audio-files of ‘Kampitas & Gamakas’ of my book are carefully studied once again. amsharma