Post by Aditto »

varsha wrote:https://www.mediafire.com/?d3tsi8ta5vxuisx
MSS-TR-KM
A brilliant flash of kAnaDa in rAgamalika
varshaji, any more flashes? :)

RSR

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by RSR »

SrinathK.-> This is a follow-up of your great appreciation of Baso mere nainanme . .I need to know the ragam of separate 78 rpm record by Smt.MS in 1946. 'Pyaare Dharsana '.. Who was the music composer ? S.V.Venkataraman or Piano Vaidhyanathan who gave us the Darbari Kanada Hari Thum Haro? One tube upload links Pyare Dharsana with Chandrakauns but another knowledgeable follower says it cannot be. I think, the ragam is same as 'Characharam' in Tamil Meera . .Can you please enlighten me?

CRama

Post by CRama »

That was a flash of Kanada. Here is a feast of Kanada- Sree Kantha enagishtu with an expansive raga alapana

https://www.sendspace.com/file/gpc2fc

kartheeksharma

Post by kartheeksharma »

Dear Rasikas please share tulasi jagajjanani,durusuga of saveri and nambikettavarellavo of purandaradasa
I heard that she rendered it.

CRama

Post by CRama »

NAMBIKETTAVAR ILLAVO- FROM A BANGALORE CONCERT IN 1985. ENJOY
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ko9chb

kartheeksharma

Post by kartheeksharma »

CRama wrote:NAMBIKETTAVAR ILLAVO- FROM A BANGALORE CONCERT IN 1985. ENJOY
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ko9chb
Thank you so much sir for this delightful and rare gem

Pranamams...

RSR

Post by RSR »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Dear RSR: I would place this pic in the early forties. I do not think it is Radha,not Gowri either because she was not born then.
Perhaps Cienu can help us out with his mother's help.
---------------------------
Respected Sir, I think, the baby is Radha and the picture could have been taken around 1936.. A petulant child and an affectionate , loving 'mother', enjoying the child's 'kopam'!..

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

varsha wrote:https://www.mediafire.com/?d3tsi8ta5vxuisx
MSS-TR-KM
A brilliant flash of kAnaDa in rAgamalika

This performance is different from her other performances; laya intricacies are explicit.
Please give the link for the entire concert.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Thanks a lot. I wished each of the song continued for some more time..

RSR

Post by RSR »

varsha -> Sir, 78 RPM record ran for just three minutes per side. How much artistry goes into those three minutes if it is a ragamalika! Typical example will be the well known 'mAlaip pozhthinilae' . In the second part, Sindhubairavi, Mohanam and Nadhanamakriya. each just one minute , that too with some orchestration interlude, but brilliant exposition. ( easy to remember while identifying unknown ragam in other songs.) It is also an exercise for learners in identifying the ragam. A similar example is 'udal uruga, uLLam uruga' in Meera ( thamizh). I have given link. to the song. I think, the second stanza is Sahaana, and third Nadhanamakriya . but what is the ragam of the first stanza? I have been assuming that it is Poorvi Kalyani.( or Panthuvarali? more likely) I am not sure. and may be totally wrong. May I have your guidance please?
http://picosong.com/zitr/
Last edited by RSR on 21 Nov 2016, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Ref. post 1261 by Varsha

Thanks a lot.

I could not download only 2.Jagatha Nandakaraka and 6.Enneramum; but I will try later.

I saw your posting now only and I have not yet listened to the songs;

but I listened to the RTP - Dhanyasi once again!

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

K Nagarajan wrote:Ref. post 1261 by Varsha

Thanks a lot.

I could not download only 2.Jagatha Nandakaraka and 6.Enneramum; but I will try later.

I saw your posting now only and I have not yet listened to the songs;

but I listened to the RTP - Dhanyasi once again!
Sir, the problem with mediafire is it the underlying software computes some of the songs are part of a commercial album and stops us from downloading, eventhough the songs are really not.

I am not sure of the metadata that is looks to arrive at such conclusion.

Without the post RTP pieces, jagadananda and Enneramum, the duration of the kutcheri is 2 hr 39 mins.

varshaji, do we have any concerts which go more than 4 hours (or close to 4 hours) available?

RSR

Post by RSR »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote:M.S. Subbulakshmi
1935 Broadcast Record

Enakkun iru padam - Ragamalika - Part 1 & 2 :-
https://soundcloud.com/thebranchdravidi ... nakkun-iru
https://soundcloud.com/thebranchdravidi ... i-ennakkun
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wonderful information! thank you. Managed to download the gem. Also, DKPattammal's rare record in Todi, 'Thanikai vaLar saravanabavaa'. ( 6 mintes record). Thank you very much.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Rasikas,

Please find below a link to the Centenary Celebrations of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi at Philadelphia on Sep 10th 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_NF5Q ... e=youtu.be

I have written a brief introduction which I reproduce down under:

Quote:

" Date : Sep 10th 2016.
Place : Philadelphia - USA

On Sep 10th 2016 - Saturday, the Grand Niece of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi and the daughter of Smt Thangam & Sri R Ananthanarayanan , Smt Kamakshi Mallikarjun organised a most memorable tribute to her beloved Ammu Patti.

In this video Smt Nirmala Ramasubramaniam & Sri M K Ramasubramaiam share the extremely special relationship between their family and the Sadasivams. Their reminiscences are intelligently juxtaposed with appropriate (and rare) pictures.
"

Unquote

CRama

Post by CRama »

Cienu, Thanks for uploading this rare prog for us. Mr and Mrs.MKR, Brilliant. Your narration and the rare pictures are all a veritable treat.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Thanks for the upload cienu sir.

This must be the hamsanadam alapana that goes for around 20 minutes which MKR sir has mentioned in some of the earlier posts. Glad to hear some piece of it. :)

Out of curiosity, what were the 5 songs that were recorded? Assuming Bantureeti for Hamsanadam :)

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

lovely narration... that was lovely hamsanadam... very flamboyant version...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Today it was an emotional episode detailing MS attaining the feet of the Lord whom she brought before the minds of listeners of her music. Podhikai deserves profuse thanks for running the serial.

RSR

Post by RSR »

kvchellappa -> Respected Sir, Will it be possible for rasikas.org to arrange with Pothikai and TheHindu have all the episodes uploaded to youtube , one by one, for posterity?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The first episode is here:
http://www.ddpodhigai.org.in/wings/head ... ode-1.html
You must be able to get to other links from here.
There is some lag for upload.

RSR

Post by RSR »

kvchellappa -> Thank you Sir. I think, it takes time to get loaded. Will try again and share in pages dedicated to Smt.MS

RSR

Post by RSR »

---------------------------
Yes Sir. We should honour the house where she was born and brought up. But that should not be done by any 'renovation'. The maximum that we should do is to relocate any commercial activity there. We can place a prominent sign board with her photo and details. for the guidance of pilgrims. Its utter simplicity and austerity should be preserved. Here is V.Sriram's article on the theme.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 986406.ece

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Rasikas

Please find below a link to the composition "gAnak kuyil" composed by our Arasi as a tribute to Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi. This song was sung by Smt Radha Viswanthan and S,Aishwarya on 13th Dec 2008 on the occasion of the 4th remembrance day of the Nightingale of India.On the occasion of the cenetenary year of the Bharat Ratna, I felt it would be appropriate to upload the video for the benefit of all rasikas and fans of the legendary MSS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFlzs5 ... e=youtu.be

I have made a brief introduction to the song in my youtube channel which I reproduce below for the benefit of readers,

Quote :

Dear Rasikas
On the occasion of the Centenary Year of Bharat Ratna M.S. Subbulakshmi, we are pleased to present a delightful composition on the “gAnak kuyil” composed by Smt Rajee Krishnan (popularly known as Arasi).

This song has been sung by the daughter of the Bharat Ratna, Smt Radha Viswanathan herself and Radha’s Grand Daughter Kumari S. Aishwarya at the Music Academy on 13th Dec 2008.

The occasion was the Launch of Dr. Gowri Ramnarayan's Book - "MS & RADHA - SAGA OF STEADFAST DEVOTION". Supporting the main artists were Shri R K Shriram Kumar on the Violin, Sangitha Kalanidhi Dr T K Murthy on the Mridangam, Palghat Shri A M Harinarayanan on Double Mridangam and Shri Anirudh Athreya on Kanjira.

Arasi (Rajee Krishnan) - is a vaggeyakara and a contemporary composer of both prose and poetry. She comes from a family of exceptional musicians and vaggeyakaras. She is the niece of V V Sadagopan, Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan, Ambujam Krishna and Dr Soundaram.

When asked by a Rasika as to what was the trigger for this sublime composition on M.S. Subbulakshmi in valachi Ragam, Arasi had this to say.

Quote:
“Many years ago, I heard kalAvati by Prabha Atre on an LP we had bought. I was charmed by the rAgA, and did not see the valachi connection then.
I had watched and had read a lot on MS after her demise, my mind replete with her images and music. The song came to me when I had nearly fallen asleep. After debating if I should wait until the next morning, I sat up and scribbled it on a piece of paper without even turning on the light. I was afraid I would forget it if I waited until the next day. I was humming it as I fell asleep. “
Unquote:

Bhakti and aesthetics combine in Arasi’s songs and she places no mudra except that most of her songs would have the word “Arul” in them. Arasi’s compositions have been sung and released as CD’s by Smt Neela Ramgopal, Smt Sumitra Nitin, Smt Gayathri Girish and Sri R Suryaprakash.

Arasi is a also a devoted admirer of social reformer and poet Subramania Bharathi. Her painstaking translation of Yadugiri Ammal’s “Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet” in the online website http://www.rasikas.org is a treasure for future generations of lovers of Bharathi – the Man and his poetry.

Please find below the lyrics for the song “gAnak kuyil”

rAgam: valachi

tALam: Adi

gAnak kuyil onRu maNNil tOnRip paRandadE-iniya iSai pADi (gAnak kuyil)

vAnilengum tirindE, vaLa migu mozhi palavum pADik kaLi SErttadE (uyar gAnak kuyil)

vINai oliyil Salangai kulungalil, kuzhaloli SUzhalil vaLarndadE
EdO, amudak kalaSattOr tuLi, ulagOrkkum AnadE (madura dEva gAnak kuyil)

mangala nangai, tirumagaL vaLLalAm, suba lakshmi enum vaDivAm
nAdamadin nADiyAm, nammai Irkka vanda AnmIga uruvAm (aruL)

Meaning:
A cuckoo appeared on earth and flew around (such a noble cuckoo))

It roamed the skies and sang away in many rich languages and brought us joy,

It grew amidst the sounds of the vINA, jingling anklet bells
and the notes of the flute (a sweet cuckoo)

as though a drop of the nectar of the heavens became ours too (a celestial cuckoo)

A propitious woman, Lakshmi, benefactor, named Subha lakshmi--
She, the very pulse of nAdA, the one who like a magnet drew us
to her spiritual self--the one with the grace of God (the song cuckoo)

Note that the gAnak kuyil in each segment has added words which go with the context.

uyar= noble
dEva=celestial (with the nectar)
madura=sweet; also indicative of Madurai where she was born amid music
vaDivu= beauty; her mother Shanmugavadivu
aruL=the grace of God (with her spiritual leanings)

Unquote:
Last edited by cienu on 02 Dec 2016, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

One can see Arasi's poem as it appeared in 'sarigamapadhani" magazine here:
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2016/07/7.html

RSR

Post by RSR »

Chellappa -> about preserving MS''s house at Madurai as a national place of pilgrimage. ....MS-EARLY LIFE-NARRATED BY HERSELF!from Gowri Ramnarayan's article as told by MS-reminiscences ....."I spent my childhood in a tiny house wedged between a row of tightly packed houses. This was in Hanumantharayan Street, very close to the Minakshi temple. Oh yes, it is still there! The street is just as narrow, dusty and crowded now as it was in those days. The little lane was often occupied by cows which refused to budge. Certainly no cars could get by. The cows would sit comfortably and chew on, pretending not to hear the shouts and the honks.Our home was very small— two rooms, a kitchen and a courtyard. A staircase went up to the terrace on top. Our house was always packed with elderly aunts and uncles who were often sick. We had to be quieter then. Our life was simple and frugal...." (translation by Nithyan ) "எனது குழந்தைப்பருவம் மீனாட்சி அம்மன் கோவிலுக்கு அருகாமையில், ஹனுமந்தரையன் எனும் தெருவில் இருந்த மிகச்சிறிய, வெறும் மரத்தடுப்பு கொண்ட, நெரிசலாக அமைந்த வரிசை வீடுகள் ஒன்றில் கழிந்தது. இன்றும் மதுரையின் இப்பகுதிக்குச் சென்றால், அவ்வீட்டைக் காணலாம். இன்று போலவே அன்றும் அத்தெரு குறுகியும், தூசு படிந்தும், ஜன நெருக்கடியுடனும் காணப்பட்டது.அச்சிறு சந்து அவ்வப்பொழுது சிறிதும் நகர மறுக்கும் பசுக்களால் ஆக்கிரமிக்கப்படுவதுண்டு. எந்த வாகனமும் அவ்வழி அவற்றை கடந்து செல்ல முடியாது. மனிதர்களின் கூச்சல்களையும், வாகனங்களின் இரைச்சல்களையும் பொருட்படுத்தாது அப்பசுக்கள் நன்கு வசதியாக அமர்ந்து அசை போட்ட வண்ணம் இருக்கும். ....எங்கள் வீடு ஒரு முற்றமும், இரு அறைகளும், ஒரு அடுக்களையும் மட்டுமே கொண்ட மிகச்சிறிய வீடு. வீட்டின் மொட்டை மாடிக்கு இட்டுச் செல்லும் படிக்கட்டுகள் ஒருபுறம். உடல்நலம் குன்றிய குடும்பத்துப் பெரியோர்களையும் உள்ளடக்கிய குடும்பம் ஆகையால், வீட்டில் எப்பொழுதும் அமைதி காத்திட வேண்டும்"
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... by-herself
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... ninaivukal

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The Star Indian Cinema seems to have forgotten

Some precious/priceless quotes:
veejai sai wrote:At the Delhi premiere in 1947, prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, and Lord and Lady Mountbatten stood at the entrance of Regal cinema, welcoming guests. Never before or after in the history of Indian cinema did a prime minister go out of his way to support a film the way Nehru did for Meera.
The beautiful picture in the article is the bonus feature!
veejai sai wrote:When she was unable to go to Mumbai to receive the Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Award in 1994, singer Lata Mangeshkar flew in to Chennai to hand it to her personally.

RSR

Post by RSR »

rshankar wrote:The Star Indian Cinema seems to have forgotten

Some precious/priceless quotes:
veejai sai wrote:At the Delhi premiere in 1947, prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, and Lord and Lady Mountbatten stood at the entrance of Regal cinema, welcoming guests. Never before or after in the history of Indian cinema did a prime minister go out of his way to support a film the way Nehru did for Meera.
The beautiful picture in the article is the bonus feature!
veejai sai wrote:When she was unable to go to Mumbai to receive the Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Award in 1994, singer Lata Mangeshkar flew in to Chennai to hand it to her personally.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very nice . The artificiality of Mrs.Bali compared to the natural , serene beauty , poise and grace of all the others in the photo is revealing!. MS Amma aged very gradually and gracefully
-----------------------
"When she (Smt.MS)...was unable to ......"

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu,
Thank you kindly for bringing little Aishwarya and your mother singing gAnak kuyilonRu to the thread--and for taking the time to give the lyrics, the meaning, and the background to this heartfelt ode written in praise of the grand lady of CM. Just about a month before the event, I told your mother and you about the song. You asked me to sing it (ha!) and asked me to write it down. The next thing I know, it made its debut performance on Gowri Ramnarayan's book release day!

You have also posted Aishwarya singing it in another concert as a grown up young woman, I think, and I have heard her sing it in a concert two years (?) ago. What we have now is the debut performance of the song. I realize how much your daughter has grown--especially in her musical prowess! Still, the earnestness with which she sings it is something charming :)

Pasupathy,
Thank you for bringing the version from Sarigamapadhani. I'm happy you liked the lines as much as you did...:)

Vignesh Viswanathan

Post by Vignesh Viswanathan »

Dear Arasi,

What more could have been a pleasure for a MS Rasika to hear to Your Ganakuyil sung by Aishwarya at Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha last year in your very presence.

That was the first time I got an opportunity to meet you and speak with you.

Your words in the song brings Image and Life of MS Amma before our Eyes. Humble pranams for your poetical tribute!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vignesh,
Thank you!
The object of our adoration inspired the lines in the song. That's all.
Aishwarya sang it with verve and feeling at Parthasarathy Sabha. I wasn't in Chennai last year. So, it was the 2014 season!

Hope we can meet again, though our stay in Chennai is going to be very short, I'm afraid...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

RSR wrote: Very nice . The artificiality of Mrs.Bali compared to the natural , serene beauty , poise and grace of all the others in the photo is revealing!. MS Amma aged very gradually and gracefully
-----------------------
"When she (Smt.MS)...was unable to ......"
RSR, please take this as a warning and stop making personal attacks on this forum.

RSR

Post by RSR »

[quote="srkris"][quote="RSR"]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kindly read it as " the natural , serene beauty , poise and grace of all in the photo is revealing!. MS Amma aged very gradually and gracefully"..It is a compliment

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is the comment on Mrs. Bali, that is perhaps not in context, that looks offensive.

RSR

Post by RSR »

kvchellappa wrote: It is the comment on Mrs. Bali, that is perhaps not in context, that looks offensive.
Respected Sir,I understood and have edited. Thanks !.May I submit that the 'admin' if he thinks , any post ,not suitable for this forum, he can first ask by mail to remove and if not done within two days,can simply remove it.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Eternal thanks to Sri.varsh for the mp3 file and to Sri.V.Govindan ( Thyagaraja vaibavam) for the song and translation in thamizh. MS Amma's Koluvamare Kadaa - Raga Todi
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... -mara-todi

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Meera Hindi Movie -- Smt. Sarojini Naidu's introduction of M.S.Subbulakshmi :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GzAh5XgGo

RSR

Post by RSR »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote:Meera Hindi Movie -- Smt. Sarojini Naidu's introduction of M.S.Subbulakshmi :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GzAh5XgGo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
May i share my own sites? It gives translation in thamizh also.

1) HINDI FILM CLIPS..1947
https://sites.google.com/site/meera1947 ... ips-as-mp4

2) THMIZH FILM CLIPS -1945
https://sites.google.com/site/meera1945tamil/

3) https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... amil--1945
All the thamizh songs and thamizh translation of Sarojini's speech

RSR

Post by RSR »

Just in case , our MS devotees have missed this....Kalki on MS premiere at Delhi... MS special concert .. Baby Radha's dance for the distinguished guests... It is however in Thamizh. Sri.Chellappa is requested to give a translation in English.
http://www.msstribute.org/articles/arti ... thirai.php

RSR

Post by RSR »

11th December.... MAHAKAVI BARATHY'S BIRTHDAY... and the day on which our MS departed from our midst and reached the Lotus Feet of the Lord. .. Very much privileged to share this gem 'mannum imayamalai engal malaiye' by Barathy, orchestration by S.V.Venkataraman , in Chenchurutti , specially recorded for the Republic Day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ejc-H09io
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr.Pasupathy's ( as usual) rare to get information from archive on S.V.Venkataraman, and ..Kalki .. on this immortal song.
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.in/2014/01/29.html
Dr.Pasupathy's brief note is in thamizh. My humble effort to give a synopsis.
---------
" We hear many great songs in concerts and other media but unfortunately, nothing is mentioned about the person who set the piece to music unlike film songs which always get known with the name of the 'music director'. i wonder if the vocalist himself/herself knows about the music composer of the song being rendered. Thus, many deserving music composers do not get the recognition that is their due. One such , sadly forgotten music composer is Sri.S.V.Venkataraman. who is the music director for Meera film (1945-thamizh) and Meera ( Hindi version-1947). who gave us the absolutely ravishing compositions in Ragamalika for 'Vadavaraiyai matthaakki' ( iLANGO ADIKAL'S SILAPPATHIKAARAM) 'S and 'mudiyondri moovulakangalum' (PERIYAAZHVAAR PAASURAM) by MS. How many people know that?
But, S.V.VENKATARAMAN'S name was prominently shown in the record itself once , as a rare gesture by HMV. in 1950 advertisement for the record which had 'mannum imayamalai ' . and 'oLi padaittha kaNNinaay' . ( Here Dr.Pasupathy has given the picture of the advt).
Would Kalki miss this opportunity to embellish the advertisement? He published the lyrics of both these gems of Barathi with lovely drawings as illustration for the song by the artist Maniyam. ( as shown). "

============================================================================================
Dr.Pasupathy would have given a better translation. Kindly bear with this bare substitute.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Rasikas,
The “Suswaralakshmi Foundation for Classical Music and Performing Arts” is extremely delighted to host a special programme as part of the Centenary Year celebrations of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi pertaining to her Ragam, Tanam and Pallavis on 18TH Dec 2016. (Sunday) at Raga Sudha Hall from 10 am to 12 noon.
This thematic program will be presented by Smt Kiranavali Vidyasankar, erudite musician and scholar who had listened to many RTP recordings of MSS and will thus present to the audience a well analysed and researched documentary on an unknown facet of the “Genius of Song”.
It is my fervent desire that all music lovers attend this program. And as far as MSS fans are concerned, this will be an event they will cherish forever.
Sangita Kalanidhi Dr T K Murthy has kindly consented to be the Guest of Honour.
All rasikas are welcome to attend along with their friends and family.
For the benefit of non Chennai music lovers, there will be a live webcast by Kalakendra at the link below.
http://www.kalakendra.com/thematic-pres ... ing-sw1790

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

May this dream come true:
"But I have a dream, of creating an endowed Carnatic Music Chair dedicated to M.S. Subbulakshmi in the University of Denver, the U.S. It would cost millions of dollars... I leave it to the grace of the Acharyas and the blessings of M.S. to make this come true.”
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 958954.ece

kartheeksharma

Post by kartheeksharma »

Please upload any unknown renderings of MSS it's been so long I heard any new one.please anyone......

kartheeksharma

Post by kartheeksharma »

Could anybody post clear version of apparama bhakti of MSS, I have heard it in YouTube but it's poor audio quality.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

https://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjuna ... -USA-1977/

This is a 1969 Narada Gana Sabha concert [April 13/14]

raviraghu

Post by raviraghu »

M S AMMA is MS AMMA no match to her

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »