General Observation

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
hnbhagavan

General Observation

Post by hnbhagavan »

There have been no reviews of concerts by Lalgudi GJR krishnan and Vijayalakshmi.They have given duets in Music academy,kGS,NGSetc.
The reviews are given repeatedly for vocal performances strengthening the belief that rasikas prefer Vocal music .
Similarly other Instrumental concerts - Veena,flute do not get reviewed or rarely get reviewed.
However Sri TNK's violin concert was reviwed and posted.
Last edited by hnbhagavan on 01 Jan 2017, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

gardabha_gana

Re: General Observation

Post by gardabha_gana »

I am sure that there will be one for the traditional MFA Jan 1st concert in the morning!

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Nothing odd if a few don't merit a review from the galaxy of artistes !

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The concert by SK designate A KanyaKumari and Embar Kannan -featured live.
However Chitra Veena Ravikiran's concert has not found a place in the reviews.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The reviews are not even one % of the total number of concerts featured.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

i heard that the best Sub-senior best Music Concert award is won by G ravikiran in Vocal
Best Senior Concert award is won by Ramakrishnan Murthy in Vocal
Best Senior concert award is won by Sri GJRKrishnan and Vijayalakshmi in Instrumental.
Best Junior concert award is won by Aswathnarayan in vocal
The above awards are from MUSIC ACADEMY

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

Music academy should release their methodology for evaluating performances. This year, few artists couldn't deliver to their fullest potential (voice not in good form, other health or lack of vidwat)...even those performers have received awards. Strange!!!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Reg less reviews in this season, I attended 60+ concerts this season. Whole day spent in sabhas. Hence could not get time to write the reviews. But I will write a season round up of important concerts. I know Rajesh was out of town for a week. Other people like sankark, sureshvv etc posted running commentaries. Thanks for them and other reviewers.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagwan,
I do not write reviews since I'm not qualified.

The Lalgudi siblings' concert was a sad miss on my part.

I did hear Ravikiran play in Shastri Hall. Loved hearing him. I've posted about it in his lec-dem thread...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

arasi wrote:I do not write reviews since I'm not qualified.
I don't know how you decided that. The review and general posts by someone shows everybody else what that person knows ( or has a perspective) and also what that person does not know (or lacks perspective) - each from their own knowledge level. As long as the ignorance is also transparent - I don't see any issue with anyone doing a review!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shankarank,
Ah! I see what you mean. I need to expand on my statement.

I have attempted a few reviews (donkey's years ago) in my enthusiasm (not expertise), rasAnubhavam goading me.

Some reasons for my hesitation these days: I don't often take notes. Even if do, I misplace them. Sometimes, even familiar rAgA names escape me. All a sign of my age, adding to my arai kuRai (half baked) gnAnam.

Prime reason: it may prevent someone with better knowledge from posting an excellent review.

Of course, all the above don't stop me from spouting my impressions on the concerts!

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

arasi wrote:Bhagwan,
I do not write reviews since I'm not qualified.
arasi m'am - music - not qualified
The above cannot be used in the same sentence :) If you are not qualified don't know why folks like me are hanging around on this forum :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

If rasikatva (the capacity for appreciating) alone matters, yes, I qualify. Thanks :)

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

arasi wrote: Prime reason: it may prevent someone with better knowledge from posting an excellent review.
In that case, maybe it is better if I stop also... ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

My thumbs up didn't quite say it. So, this: :)

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Suryaprakash has given a few very good concerts during season and excelled in ALL OF THEM!I attended a few of such good and soothing music and he proved to be a worthy musician of the great Madurai Mani School . Sury sang at NGS Main hall in the homage concert of great late Balamurali and his pick was Vasudevayanani @ Kalyani and it was soulful rendering.At Vista Bharati@ Sri Partasarathy SABHA he excelled in the whole and Mridangam Master Tiruvarur Bhakta openly said that Suri will soon get main slot at Academy! IFAC@Etiraj Mandapam saw Suri on top form in Masters Piece of Maa JANAKI! Spurts sojourn at KGS was a real treat to the ears. Sury concluded his musical sojourn at BVB WITH Classical rendering of Thookiya Thiruvadi! In short Suri is now turning out to be Madurai MiNI Ayyar!☺☺

kssr

Post by kssr »

Talking about prizes during the Music Academy season concerts, I saw a (aerial) view of the prize winners seated on the stage, behind the main awardees, Kanyakumari, Rudrapatnam Bros and others. There must have been 50-60 award winners. There are many individuals and organisations that sponsor these prizes, in order to have the honour of associating with MA. Very nice, indeed.

Soon they may have to announce only names of persons who are NOT award winners. :D :D Shorter list.

Obviously it will lead to devaluation of the once prestigious "Music Academy Award" . However, the encouragement the prizes give the young artists, is worth that price.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Sorry, Repeat
Last edited by kssr on 11 Jan 2017, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A good post. Deserves repetition!

kssr

Post by kssr »

kvchellappa wrote:A good post. Deserves repetition!
Sorry. On my first Submit, it reported An internal Error. Redid it. Then you have both !! Couldn't delete one or the other or both !!!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If the music academy and its awards starts to loose "prestige," they'll bump it up by replacing the current frisking with the full airport-style works.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

My own assessment is no organisation functions in an ideal way.Given the present scenario, Music Academy Awards do maintain a high standard.They have erred in the past by not recognising some very deserved ones notably MDR,Netiyankara Vasudevan.Even now present day musicians like OST have not been recognised by the highest award.
They are making amends.Recognition of TV Gopalakrishnan and KanyaKumari are examples.
The concerts in the Junior and Sub-Junior were of very high quality and must have been difficult to award the prizes.
Some illogical practices like frisking,Camera permission etc have to go.All mobile phones have good picture taking ability.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

kssr wrote:
kvchellappa wrote:A good post. Deserves repetition!
Sorry. On my first Submit, it reported An internal Error. Redid it. Then you have both !! Couldn't delete one or the other or both !!!
I was just joking. If you want, you can replace one post with 'deleted'.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

hnbhagavan wrote:Some illogical practices like frisking,Camera permission etc have to go.All mobile phones have good picture taking ability.
Not that I'll stop complaining, but I must stress (again?) that I enjoy the environment that is the Music Academy in December so much that I'll live with the things I complain about. The places that are fatally flawed in some way, eg acoustics that don't even allow the music to be heard, I just avoid. Voting with feet. And with backside on chair.

Already I'm looking forward to next Season!