M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
K Nagarajan

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by K Nagarajan »

How to search for a recent posting of a link for a book on Smt.MS Subbulakshmi.

cienu

Post by cienu »

The MS Blog in the website www.msstribute.org has many interesting articles and recordings.
https://blog.msstribute.org/

cienu

Post by cienu »

The link below in www.msstribute.org takes you to the exact MS Blue colour
https://www.msstribute.org/articles/art ... ettiar.php

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Thank You, Sir for the links.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Chellappa Sir, I am giving an email received today. by an ardent devotee of MS.
-----------------------------
'Dear Sri Ramaswamy,
Thank you very much for a very prompt response.
When I was attending a course in Railway Signalling at Secunderabad way back in 1969,my other indian colleagues were thrilled to hear me playing the Meera bajans in my room.I had the Tamil VCD and recently got the DVD version,but that is not so clear.I am a serious follower of M S Subulakshmi and i loved the hindi meera music too.I have been searching for it the last 40 or 50 years but unsuccessful I am prepared to pay even 1000 rupees but not successful
I come to Chennai every December for the Music Festival.So if you hear of anybody who has it, please let me know.
Regards
P.Satyamoorthy (ponnudurai.satyamoorthy@gmail.com)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
May I request Mrs.Niveditha Ramakrishnan, to take steps to make her hindi meera tape available to all in CD /DVD form? rasikas forum and Sri.V.Srinivasan can initiate steps through saregama. Best Regards.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Mostly youtube has them

If you are looking for meera tamil movie songs

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Yh05_UK6-R

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Hindi songs

Meera (1945/1947) (Tamil/Hindi): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9D6FBEBD06

RSR

Post by RSR »

pattamma-> thank you. The Hindi meera ( 1947) collection with original video clips is fine. but the tamil version collection is not , that good. ..I have attempted to present the songs in sequence with lovely lyrics by Kalki in thamizh.
https://sites.google.com/site/meera1945 ... ideo-links

1) murali mohana ( kapi) 2) kaatrinile (misra jonpuri) 3) enathu ullame ( chenchurutti) 4) duet > 5) giridhara gopala (mohanam) 6) yadhnandhana ( thilang) 7) leelaikal seyvaane (?) 8) veynguzhalin naadham ( patha dheep)
9) maravene ennaalilume ( paraj) ( 10) charaacharam ( ? ) 11) aranga un makimaiyai (behag) 12) maraintha koondil (kamaj) 13) udal uruga ( poorvikalyaani, sahana, naadhanaamakriya) 14) antha naalum ( sindhu bairavi) 15) engum nirainthaye ( ? ) 16) janaardhanaa ( manirangu?) .

May I have your help in identifying the ragams of songs shown in bold"
----------------------------
Sri.Chelladurai needs the DVD of HINDI MEERA

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A valuable collection of Ragam Tanam Pallavis -- https://blog.msstribute.org/ms-repertoi ... m-pallavi/

The Thodi alapana in #2 is from the early days -- incredible. One thing I observed is that in those old recordings, there was always some phrases or brighas in every alapana that weren't there in any other. To play them back on the violin would need demonic levels of practice...

RSR

Post by RSR »

Srinathji, Thank you for the wonderful link. and the comment..
Is it possible to get MS's very early record of 'Intha Sowkyamu ' in Kapi? (before 1940 !)

RSR

Post by RSR »

May i share my post made just now in 'general discussion' as it is mostly relevant to Smt.MS Music academy concert (1956)?
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 35#p320308

RSR

Post by RSR »

D.K.PATTAMMAL SINGING DURING THE WEDDING OF MS-SADASIVAM'S DAUGHTERS
A VERY RARE COLOR PHOTO!

https://sites.google.com/site/dkpattamm ... rarephotos

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Great pic. The wedding was in 1957 @ the Kalki Gardens. The bespectacled lady facing DKP is Sadasivam's niece Chellammal--she composed hilarious tunes for he occasion-she had all her uncle's sense of humor!! One of the song was "KALYANA VAIBHavameE" in Simhendra madyamam.

It was one of the best well-attended marriages in City--nothing was "gaudy" and no flagrant displays of pomp and opulence characteristic of some of the weddings today.
The wedding was capped in the evening with SSI-TNK_Palani-Trichy Sankaran(double mridangam).
I know the concert was recorded perhaps lost in the archives with the sale and hasty evacuation of kaki gardens in 1977.

CIENU,would you be able to look for a copy of the recording?

Lovely memories are rekindled by such rare photographs. There is group photo with MSAmma in 9 yards (Muthu Chettiar's handcrafted one!!) .

RSR

Post by RSR »

Ramasubramanian Sir, May I know the date of the wedding ? . The group photo with Smt.MS in 9 yards "madisaar'? ' was found in an earlier post. and posted in tribute to m.s.subbulakshmi ( facebook)
https://www.facebook.com/tributetomssub ... 89/?type=3
Very rare photo indeed!

RSR

Post by RSR »

by SrinathK » 15 Jul 2016, 20:52
I stumbled upon this really old full length concert from 1955, offering a glimpse into what her music was in those years. (Spoiler : Pretty much the same as we've always remembered it, except the energy of her prime means her voice is in racing trim, punching through frightening brighas with the ease of a morning stroll, cruises in the upper octave like an airliner, and the manodharma is a free bird with no energy constraints).
Thiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer - Violin T.K.Murthy - Mridangam Umayalapuram Kothandarama Iyer - Ghatam
Radha mAmi is supporting vocal.
26 December 1955
9 pm - Music Academy, Madras (9 pm !! Really? These days the cities don't sleep, but this has vanished now!) Someone do tell me how you went back home at that hour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCG5EM_3DF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpd247Vpmz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_s1lLEnl8

There isn't much of MS at all from this period AFAIK, so whatever there is worth it's weight in gold :-
***********************************************************************************************************************************
Dear Sri.SrintahK, Entirely in agreement with the last line of the quote.
I too am in search of such albums. In the first link ( youtube) that you have given, a rasika has commented about the year of the concert. Can you please confirm the year?
I took the liberty of placing your post in my site
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... n-rasikas
(kindly ignore the mistake in the year. I will attend to it..) .

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear RSR: Unfortunately I do not remember the date.All that I recall--which I admit is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to your question--I accompanied my mother to " Ahmedabad in September 1957 to help establish her FIRST Kuditthanam after her wedding--Radha's husband the late Viwananathan was working for one of the Textile firms in Ahmedabad. MSAMMA could not accompany her as she really wanted to becauseof pressing engagements--so the HONOR fell to my Mom to whom RADHA was the FIRST DAUGHTER!!

The notable thing about Radha--she was all of 22 yrs old at that time--(from the scorching headlights of Kalki gardens. when. not a day passed without a VIP visiting and Radha being the centre of attentions the Hostess_)-- Radha took to her new establishment like a fish to water--no fearsome nostalgia about the transition from cynosure of attention to an ordinary young housewife in a strange city Ahmedabad--where there were not many South Indians. Radha is one of those rare celebrities that I have known who are impervious to the adulation and sycophancy her status fetched.

I will try to get the precise date of the wedding from my family's archives.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Respected M.K.Ramasubramanyam Sir, I have read all your posts in this thread. and love them. Any piece of news about the great years in Kalki gardens is most welcome to devotees like me of both Smt.MS and Sri.Sadasivam. and all the fortunate ones in the immediate family circle and family friends. and of course Kalki. You are the best person to write about those years. Everything is relevant. Smt. Anandhi too was a great personality. I will be grateful if you can recollect pleasant memories about her and Sri.Ramachandran ('Ambi') in family circles. Any photo of their wedding will be a glorious gift and information about Sri.Ramachandran.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear RSR: Thanks for the kind sentiments expressed by you. As I have written several times before,I owe so much to MSAMMA and MAMA for whatever I have got. Mama always used to drill into my ears the qualities of Compassion,loyalty and gratitude. Mama was such a great person. that if you have ben of help to him at some point of his in the most trivial manner(you yourself would not even remember it) Mama would reciprocate at the appropriate occasion.

Regards Anandhi and Ramachandran(I used to call him Ambi Anna as Radha,Vijaya did).
Ambi Anna was a colorful,back-slapping outgoing person with a sense of humor that would outmatch his uncle MAMA himself --if at all that is possible. He came under the tutelage of mama when he was hardly ten along with his younger sister Thangamma. Ambi Anna did Economics Honors from Loyola just. around Independence. Mama had very ambitious plans to associate Ambi Anna(he had a shrewd business sense) with the KALKI Magazine(long before even the thought of getting him married to Anandhi which came subsequently at the behest of Rajaji) as his heir-apparent to the busisiness. Ambi Anna had other ideas--while he respected Mama's wishes and acknowledged the deep sense of gratitude towards Mama for his upliftment,politely and firmly told Mama that he had other ideas. MY own speculation is that BOTH were strong personalities and at some point of time were bound to clash and Ambi Anna did not want that to happen. To his credit Mama acknowledged this streak of independence respected his wishes and did not press him nor did he hold a grudge against him for turning him down. Ambi Anna stayed in Kalki Gardens for some time. before getting married to Anandhi moved out and set up his own establishment first in Bombay(he worked in the Insurance Industry). Whenever I visited Kalki Gardens in the late forties and early fifties Ambi Anna would "needle". my mother and myself--always coming up with a clever remark or repartee!! he was quite a handsome guy--tall and lanky fair like Mama. he was a voracious reader--he would be reading a book while having lunch sitting in the floor. he was always smiling--never a frown in his face. and always a diplomat in parrying away questions that he did not wish to answer!!!

Anandhi--a couple of years older than me-- was the epitome of dignity, grace and pleasant demeanor. besides being a good writer--both in English and Tamil. Given that her father spent most of his early years after his marriage in prison and the freedom struggle he had very little time for his children. Anandhi(even before her marriage to Ambi Anna) was very much a part of the KALKI household--although KALKI Mama and is family lived in Gandhinagar Adyar--quite a distance from Kilpauk in those days!!. Because both Radha and Anandhi danced together under Vazhuvoor Ramiyah Pillai and MS AMMA used to sing for their dance performances. Anandhi was a gregarious person--never hurtful to anybody in deed or word.
In our family archives I once found letter r from her to my mother in 1956(when my mother became a Grandmother for the first time @ 36 years of age) congratulating her on being a grandmother for the first time and went on waxing eloquently about the pleasures of GRANDMOTHER hood(remember Anandhi herself was all of 24 years old with 2 kids of her own at that time)That letter she showed she was a "true chip of the old block"(KALKI Mama)!!

After the children(Gown et al) had grown up and settled she started. helping Rukmini Devi @ the Kalakshetra-- selfless devotion doing research and helping Rukmini in her management of the hoary Institution. Anandhi was such a self-effacing personality. that she never tried to use that stint as a platform to seek publicity for herself. Always. smiling never one to assert her authority(although she had the stature ). An anecdote.

When MS AMMa was sick in the early Nineties,Anandhi was also stricken at that time and was undergoing treatment. Despite this on one hot summer day she came in an Auto to Kotturpuram from Adayar to see MS Amma. MSAMMa chided her for not informing her so that she could send a car. Anndhi smilingly brushed way and despite MSAMMa's pleadings left by Auto(of course Adyar and Kotturpuram were relatively close). Six months later she died.
She was very fond of my mother and myself and my sister.

She had tremendous respect for MAMA and Mama too reciprocated it in large measure. I can assert that she was one of the few personalities who never incurred Mama's wrath--a great achiebvement in and of itself!!
An intersting sidebar story. that haunts my mind even today.

As everybody knows both MAMA and KALKI MAMA were admirers of Rasikamani T.K. Chidambaranatha MudaliarOTKC as he was fondly called--a great Tamil Scholar and writer)--Tamil readers of yesteryears may recall his commentaries as a serial on the Kamba Ramayanam in the KALKI Magazine.

TKC was very much disappointed with the system of education(these were the British. Days). especially the Schools and was a fierce advocate of home-study and education instead of the class room pedagogy. He convinced Sadasivam Mama about the futility of formal schooling--Sadasiva Mama dutifully obeyed his mentor and withdrew both Radha and Vijaya from their formal schooling and gave them. home study. However KALKI Mama as devoted a follower of TKC as he was chose to send Anandhi to a convent school from she matriculated!! Anandhi was equally proficient in both ENGLISH and TAMIL!! As a young boy of 11 or 12 I was curious to ask Anandhi how this decision was made--given. KALKI Mama's distaste. for the British Colonial Culture that they spread thro the Schools how could he deviate from his own convictions. let alone deviating from his mentor's)TKC) stand on this issue

Alas I never got the courage to ask her the question. even though both of us were in our sixties

RSR

Post by RSR »

Respected Ramasubramanyam Sir, How can I thank you enough for this great post! Though far far removed from the MS-TS family and friends, my only connection being my adoration of Smt.MS songs in the period 1938-1952 when her voice was just divine, and the association of both MS and TS with the Independence movement , during the most idealistic period, I have been ever charmed by the Life Divine of this blessed couple and managed to collect articles,records, , photos ( family photos) and such. Gowri Ramnarayan's article about how much Sri.Sadasivam loved 'Ambi' and many rare photos which confirm his affection , prompt me to gather more information about Sri. Ramachandran.
Yours is the first pen-portrait of him. that I have come across.
and Smt.Anandhi ! i have read her great piece of writing about the dance performance by Radha and herself.... in tribute to MS site. The humility and grace revealed in that article is endearing. . Ever eager to hear more from you. Sir. Thank you again.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sri Sankara TV will telecast the birthday celebration of MS at Shanmukhananda Hall at 6 PM on 16th Sep 2017.

RSR

Post by RSR »

http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2004/09/17/s ... 890600.htm.
"The making of ``Meera" was studded with interesting incidents. `Kalki' Krishnamurti, who wrote the script and a few of the immortal songs, accompanied the crew and recorded the episodes. Excerpts, translated by GOWRI RAMNARAYAN. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kalki's Meera Yatthirai is available in Dr.Pasupathy's blog. (thamizh original by Kalki)
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.in/2016/09/12.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Tomorrow is 101st birthday of MS. This is from FB post:
https://blog.msstribute.org/ms-centenar ... born-sing/

varsha

Post by varsha »

RSR

Post by RSR »

kvchellappa Sir, Thank you for sharing the blog. in MS Tribute page.
varsha-ji -> Thanks for the Varanaradha song.
-------------------------------------------------------------
sharing my post in facebook just now.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4120416379
( i hope , it is allowed).
--------------------------------------------------------------
And adding my toast...
https://sites.google.com/site/meera1947 ... vana-kunja
(pilu ?)
SrinathK will love it!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I have all the songs of Meera in Hindi. The music was genius in the way it found a way to extract new tonal colours and capabilities out of MS Amma's voice and the perfection of the rendering. The songs are like finely crafted jewellery.

@varsha, Now that's some amazing veena playing! What a sound!

varsha

Post by varsha »

@varsha, Now that's some amazing veena playing! What a sound!
At least six people have emailed / called me to tell the same !!! Exact words.
That was something about the track!!! cheers :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB.
Nothing new, but don't we like to read it again and again?
http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/GdP4mN3 ... arity.html

RSR

Post by RSR »

I think , this vintage song has gone out of circulation in the web. Kalki had written a rave review about this. It is in Yadhukula Kambodhi. Likely that it is not in the commercial catalog now. Let us hope.
kAlaith thookki nindrAdum

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

RSR wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 14:58 I think , this vintage song has gone out of circulation in the web. Kalki had written a rave review about this. It is in Yadhukula Kambodhi. Likely that it is not in the commercial catalog now. Let us hope.
kAlaith thookki nindrAdum
Sanjay has rendered this, all you need is a YouTube search for "kalai thukki" :) Giving you link for a couple of videos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC4VoMXskU => Sanjay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exhK8Ah0pQg => Udayalur Kalyanaraman, this is a belter :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMjwj_Gtdqs => CS Jeyaraman, from the movie Kaveri.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Maybe he refers to MS singing it. That is also available.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sri.Mahesh ji, This thread being dedicated to Smt.MS, I was referring to her rendering. Vintage classic. (I had also referred to Kalki's ( not the magazine ) 'rave review.
youtu.be/3Zt9WJYdi3k
posted by 'yours truly' . very recently. But I am not sure that tube may allow that to be there for long!
Chellappa Sir, -> Thank you. For the lyrics etc kindly see
sites.google.com/site/
homage2mssubbulakshmi/home/
item-04
It so happens that 1940-1960 decades saw MS,DKP,NCV,MMI,Alatthoor, GNB , and MLV and many other great artistes at their sweetest phase. and they are all in 78 rpm commercial records. Because of copyright issue, it is very difficult to share them. I am afraid that the gems will be lost for ever in near future.
Copy right cannot last for so many decades! ( 1940 to 2017)! The company can atleast donate all the vintage 78 rpm recorded music to tube as they have done for many of NCV songs. and Meera songs recently.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I think this was posted somewhere else here long ago in a thread now buried somewhere, but I'm sharing this one as I found it on google. Look at who are all there in this picture :

http://i45.tinypic.com/2mcjfjo.jpg

A bonus for identifying the child. :mrgreen:

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Sitting on chairs
Veenai Shanmukhavadivu, Madras Lalithangi, MS Subbulakshmi, --??--, --??--
Sitting on floor
(may be) ML Vasanthakumari.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

No other takers then?

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

That is Madras Lalitangi Vasantakumari sitting on the floor. Next to MS I think is Saraswati Bai, the harikatha exponent and the turban is a muslim musician, forgot his name.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

K Nagarajan wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 10:14 Sitting on chairs
Veenai Shanmukhavadivu, Madras Lalithangi, MS Subbulakshmi, --??--, --??--
Sitting on floor
(may be) ML Vasanthakumari.
RaviSri wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 18:22 That is Madras Lalitangi Vasantakumari sitting on the floor. Next to MS I think is Saraswati Bai, the harikatha exponent and the turban is a muslim musician, forgot his name.
The photograph is actually yours RaviSri (from 1934) - viewtopic.php?t=20990&start=75#p238664 - it appeared in google search and I thought of posting it here

The muslim musician is Ustad Nazeeruddin, a court musician of Holkar State in North India.

And MLV it is - so that's a rare photograph. Just how far back in time can photographs take you!

54 years later -- http://i53.tinypic.com/1z91qd.jpg

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Yes, thank you. 1934, Music Academy conference it was. But before posting such pics I think we have to be careful about the so called copyright of the Music Academy and The Hindu, which claims it has a permanent right over the photos. They wont publish these on their websites, either The Hindu or the Academy, so lazy and irresponsible are they, but the jokers will pounce at people who do that on sites such as these. So this site should take out these photos if the big guns start jumping up and down like monkeys. If the snorers ignore this, then let the photos be.

Ramasubramanian M.K

RaviSri: I think you are being too kind to the folks at MA!!!They deserve even more stringent criticism especially about preserving archives.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Inviting new members to https://blog.msstribute.org/

RSR

Post by RSR »

A very sweet article by Smt.Anandhi about the dance arangetram of herself and Radha.
https://www.msstribute.org/people/aduvome-paduvome.php
( very nice writing. No wonder. She was Kalki's daughter)
The article is however in Thamizh.
I found that a rough translation in English , of that article is available in
msstribute blog. https://blog.msstribute.org/ms-sings-fo ... -recitals/

RSR

Post by RSR »

On the eve of Saraswathi Pooja, sharing a blog post from msstribute.org
https://blog.msstribute.org/ms-repertoi ... araswathi/

suriyanmr

National Professor

Post by suriyanmr »

in 1992 or 1993 i remember to have listened in AIR news broadcast that for M S Subbulakshmi, the tenure of national professorship had been extended to five more years (something like that....) and also such information was published in dinamani. Now i could get no information regarding this in internet. can anybody throw light on this aspect.
thanks in advance
suriyan m r

vineyan

Post by vineyan »

I Remember she resigned the post within a few months citing personal grounds

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

(I may please be excused for posting in Tamizh)
From Amrtavarshini

திரு எம். ஜெய ராம சர்மா

நான்மாடக் கூடலிலே நம்எம்எஸ் பிறந்து
நாடெல்லாம் சென்று இசைபரப்பி நின்றார்
தேன்போல பாட்டிசைத்து தீங்குரலால் கவர்ந்தார்
திசையெங்கும் சென்றுசென்று திரும்பிடவே செய்தார்
தான்பாடும் பாட்டுக்களைத் தரமாக எடுத்தார்
ஊனுருக உணர்வுடனே உயிர்கொடுத்து நின்றார்
வீண்கர்வம் தனைவிடுத்து மேலாக நின்றார்
மேதினியில் கானமழை பொழிந்திடவே செய்தார் !

கந்தர்வக் குரலாலே கானமழை பொழிந்து
இந்திரனும் இறங்கிவர இங்குஇசை வகாடுத்தார்
மந்திரங்கள் அவரிசைக்க வானவரே புகழ்ந்தார்
மண்ணிலுள்ளோர் மனமெல்லாம் மாவிசையாய் புகுந்தார்
சொந்தபந்தம் எல்லாமே இசையெனவே நினைத்தார்
சொர்க்கமென சங்கீத உலகினையே கண்டார்
பந்தமுடன் தன்மனதில் பக்திதனைக் கொண்டார்
பாடிநின்ற அத்தனையும் பவித்திரமாய் ஆச்சு !
பாடிநின்ற இசசக்குயிலாய் பலவிடமும் சென்றார்
தேடிநின்ற செல்வமெலாம் சேவைக்கெனக் கொடுத்தார்
நாடுதனைப் பெரிவதனவே நற்பாட்டு இசைத்தார்
நல்லபல பணிகளுக்காய் நாளெல்லாம் உழைத்தார்
திருப்பதியில் அவர்பாட்டே துயிலெழுப்பும் பாட்டு
தினமும்நாம் சுப்ரபாதம் கேட்டுவிட்டால் திருப்தி
உமைபாகன் சதாசிவமே உறுதுணையும் ஆனார்
உலகமெலாம் இசையாக இருக்கின்றார் அம்மா !
இசையென்று சொல்லிவிட்டால் எம்எஸ்ஏ வருவார்
வசையில்லா இசைகொடுத்த வரமெனவே வந்தார்
அசையாமல் மேடைதனில் அவர்பாடும் இசையை
ஆராலும் இவ்வுலகில் அசைக்க முடியாது
நிலையான இசைகொடுத்து நீடுபுகழ் பெற்றார்
நெஞ்சமெலாம் எம்எஸ்ஏ நிறைந்துமே விட்டார்
அவர்பாடும் பாடலினை ஆசையுடன் கேட்போம்
அம்மாவின் இசைப்பாதம் அனைவருமே பணிவோம் !

RSR

Post by RSR »

Respected Chellappa Sir-> (@1344)When I joined the forum, I did not know that there were many in the forum who could speak thamizh but could not read / write in that language. Also quite a few whose mother tongue was not Thamizh but quite conversant with thamizh songs and yet unable to read/write in thamizh. I was reprimanded and advised to post in thamizh section. After understanding the problem rather belatedly, I stuck to the rule as much as possible. I do hope that rules apply to all without exception.
May I suggest that you post this poem in thamizh section and give a link here? That may be a good solution. You can give a brief transliteration and translation here ( just a few lines) and then the link. Better solution is to put things in your blog / website and give link. Excuse me if I am wrong.

luonguet

Post by luonguet »

Can anyone tell me if a review of " Seva Sadanam" (1938) appeared in any magazine ( including Vikatan) ?
I know that Kalki wrote two reviews of "Sakunthalai" . Is there a book in which these two reviews can be found?

cienu

Post by cienu »

Sep 19th 2017
Place: New Delhi
Occasion: Release of a Special Rs 100 Coin on Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi by the Vice President of India.

Dear Rasikas,

Please find below pictures of the Special Rs 100 coin on Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi by the Vice President of India, His Excellency Sri Venkaiah Naidu in the presence of Dr Mahesh Sharma Minister for Culture - Government of India and Sri Sachidanand Joshi - Member Secretary - IGNCA.

My apologies for posting the pictures late.

I am seen welcoming His Excellency - Vice President of India Sri Venkaiah Naidu
The program commenced with the National Anthem
Lighting of the traditional Kuthuvilakku
Aishwarya Saundarya sing the Annamacharya Composition “Enthmatramuna Evaruthalachina" as the Prayer Song.
Release of a Special Rs 100 coin and Rs 10 coin on Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi. Also in the picture are Sri Sachidanand Joshi, Member Secretary IGNCA (with the beard on the left) and Dr Mahesh Sharma, Union Minister for Culture.
His Excellency the Vice President of India handing over the first set of the Special Rs 100 and Rs 10 Coins to yours truly as a representative of the family.
All family members on the stage with the dignitaries.
One more picture of the same.
The Vice President listening to “Jo Atchuthananda” (Listening dock) at the Exhibition on MSS
“She is Saundarya – a budding dancer, musician and Grand Daughter of Radha” says Dr Sonal Mansingh as she introduces her to Dr Mahesh Sharma, the Minister for Culture (Govt of India). Incidentally Dr Mansingh has seen my mother dance live in the 1950’s.
Our family take a picture with Dr Mahesh Sharma, the Union Minister for Culture - Government of India.
The front side of the Special Rs 100 coin with the image of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi.
The back of the coin with the National Emblem of India
Last edited by cienu on 20 Oct 2017, 16:02, edited 9 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cienu wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 21:48 Occasion: Release of a Special Rs 100 Coin on Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi by the Vice President of India.
Cienu
we used to have postage stamps . Is this coin release an event a new thing in recent years that is coming in instead of postage stamps. where do public go to get this coin ??

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 22:05
cienu wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 21:48 Occasion: Release of a Special Rs 100 Coin on Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi by the Vice President of India.
Cienu
we used to have postage stamps . Is this coin release an event a new thing in recent years that is coming in instead of postage stamps. where do public go to get this coin ??
Yes Rajeshnat,

This is the first time a Rs 100 coin is being released (minted) on a musician. I am not sure if there have been coins minted earlier for great composers of the past. With regard to the procedure for procuring the coin, I am in touch with the concerned people and will post in Rasikas for the benefit of those who wish to preserve the coin.

The Rs 100 coin would essentially be a collectors item
The Rs 10 coin would shortly be widely available in circulation

Postage Stamps and First day covers will also continue to be there

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Rasikas

Using the edit option, I have posted additional pictures in post # 1347 (including pictures of the coin)

I must thank Srkris in resolving the pixel size issue which had prevented me from posting certain photographs :)