Palakkad ramprasad@rAgasudhA on Oct 22nd,2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Palakkad ramprasad@rAgasudhA on Oct 22nd,2017

Post by rajeshnat »

Palakkad ramaprasad@rAgasudhA on Oct 22nd,2017
------------------------------------------
Vocal : Palakkad ramaprasad or ramprasad - dont know which is right
Violin : Nagai Sriram
Mrudangam : KV Prasad
Ghatam : Adambakkam Shankar

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Free concet
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 20 minutes
Time : 6:25 to 8:45 pm
Sabha and/or Banner : Kedaram
Hall : rAgasudha Hall

01. bAra bEkO Rangaiyya - gaulipantu?? - PD
02. murugA thirumAl marugA (RS N S )- harikAMbOdhi - Tanjore Sankara iyer
neraval for karunai kaddalE uNNai kanamamum piriven for 5 mins
6 mins swaras

03. eHi annapoornE (S) - punnagavarAli - MD
swaras for 5 mins
04. purahara nandana(S) - hameekalyani - MD
swaras for 4 mins
05. rAmabhi rAma (R) - darbAr - T
8 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return

06. mA ramanan - hindOlam - psivan
07A. enneramum un namam (R N S T)- poorvikalyani - SS
10 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
neraval in anbudan unnai nAn aDaikalam adaindhen akhilAndeshwari abhirama sundari for 10 mins
17 mins swaras
07B. tani for 16 mins

08. dharmashravana - durga - PD
09. nee nama roopamulaku - sowrashtram - T

rajeshnat

Re: Palakkad ramaprasad@rAgasudhA on Oct 22nd,2017

Post by rajeshnat »

The concert was organized by an organization Kedaram that i am hearing for the first time. They gave prizes to different school kids after competitions ,the patron distributed prizes to future vidwans and vidushis and the concert started just 10 mins late.

Palakkad ramaprasad has learnt vocal from his dad Rajaram and his grandfather is the supernova Palakkad mani iyer. I was looking forward to hear his concert and looking at my notes i only have had chance to hear him once in 2 years or so and this is my 5th live concert. Ramaprasad has an intrinsic sathiyam in his music ,the sathiyam that is caricatured with omnipresent classical sancharas and sangathis . Atleast in that critical sathiyam aspect he is a lovely grand son of supernova and meastro PMI.

THe start was a purandara dasa krithi bAra beKO rangaiyya those lines resembled the rare gowlipantu and the contours of raga swaroopam was like tera tiyaga rAdA, nice start , i was bit foxed with raga as he moved on with the krithi with no swaras I am not 100% sure of the raga . Also slight non adjustment of pakkavadhyam ramaprasad could not give a flyer start .

HarikAmbodhi krithi of TSI is one of a kind , possibly the lovely living vaggeyakkara wanted to compose to get out of dinamani vamsa excess hackneyed sangathis that he must have been bored to death after excessively hearing Semmangudi . He sang tirumal muruga very well and the neraval was well done , Ramaprasad neraval has an extra oomph. The swaras and neraval certainly were in the zone of DKJ diction with a KVN like deep unfluctuating pitch . Ramaprasad brought me into near tears with his ehi annapoorni , nice punnagavarali with few punnagai smiles to nagai sriram who also smiles it was both a visual and aural treat , the seasoned kv prasad experience of vilambakala play pleased me a lot and it was brilliant punnagavarali.

I am not acclimitised to hear the purahara nandana as a fast filler,actually i have only heard maharajapuram santhanam singing this purahara and iirc once vijay siva sang this . But he sang in a faster pace and with swaras felt hameerkalyani was given a different raga swarooopam .Fast fillers should have more longer patterns but that did not happen.

darbAr and nayaki are tricky ragas , atleast with my own personal logic i expect a bit more voice weight to really make it darbAr and not make it slightly light shaded as nayaki . Ramaprasad certainly sang darbar raga well but the krithi did not get into that weighty muse . Ramabhi rama was not as appealing as rest of the krithis. The popular mA ramanan was well done a quick wrap up with little more swaras would have made me enjoy HindOLam , but in hindsight it was ok as he made way for extra time for Main

Poorvikalyani alapana was not exhaustive but definitely he did not go in circle and repeat the patterns which is usually a poorvikalyani alapana curse. He sang beautifully , the rare shyama sastri thamizh krithi came next . Shyama sastri thamizh krithi , i have had experiences to hear maharajapuram ramachandran and viji subra but this one was some what in between , the krithi enunciation was clean and he took his time to sing the neraval . Neraval can be sung by musicians to counter the impoverishment of loss of raga bhavam in krithi and ramaprasad gave a great poorvikalyani classic muse . I liked the way he sang the neraval , nice gamakam and everything settled very well with in Prasad's taalam .Most importantly the space that was given to nagai sriram who really stole my heart in poorvikalyani. Swaras in poorvikalyani had few laya patterns and kanakkus but they did not give that much confidence to me as a listener . Big deal who cares about kanakkus he quickly changed gears and went to longer patterns of sarvalaghu poorvikalyani and it was expansive.THe last durga was superb , purandara dasa sahityam gave an extra dose of durga emote.

There were problems in sound adjustment and purahara was feeble . THe problem was more felt by artists but i did not feel any sound problems at all . As such the music kept me engrossed . Nagai sriram has the right press and melody and garnishes with the right spacing and kalapramanam . KV Prasad was bit slow for faster songs but had great tonal quality . The ghatam artist adambakkam shankar support was most noticable with a very good tani.

Ramaprasad masculine voice texture with deep throated shruthi and resonance is his USP. I wish he can bring in bit more aggression and change in tempo . His approach is to take adequate rest and come with more power for many sancharas- when you have nagai sriram like violinist that approach would work. But I wished at many places he could come with bit more masculine voice power after a round of passivity , i do know his grandfather did it with mrudangam where after a silence there was a thunder, at times PMI did it even without the microphone. Ramaprasad unlike PMI always has microphone :) he can always do it . All said in my mind Ramaprasad has zoned as a musician that I should hear him far more frequently- his masculine voice texture with gamakams is always secure with intense carnatic classicism.

Overall a very good to excellent for 2 hours and 20 minutes

sankark

Post by sankark »

rajeshnat wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 17:13 Ramaprasad brought me into near tears with his ehi annapoorni , nice punnagavarali with few punnagai smiles to nagai sriram who also smiles it was both a visual and aural treat , the seasoned kv prasad experience of vilambakala play pleased me a lot and it was brilliant punnagavarali.
Yessssss.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

For those who missed it, Parivadini has the whole concert uploaded on youtube.

I am listening to him after a long time and I was really impressed. The first kriti was Gaulai. I think he may have tuned it himself given his penchant for tuning unknown kritis. What struck me was the ease at which he sang the neraval and swaram for Muruga tirumal maruga. The edam was complex but he was effortless. Special note to Nagai Sriram for keeping up and infact improvising beautifully during the last turn of swarams. Punnagavarali was majestc to say the least. Although personally I felt the percussion department could have done more to embellish the kriti and the swarams.

Two things I thought could have gone better or avoided is - Swaram for Purahara was not necessary was what I felt but its just an opinion. Similarly, the Durbar krithi was sung with so much emphasis on the sangathis' complexities that the actual experience of the anupallavi was compromised.

Other than that I felt it was a 5 star concert.

Regards
T

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thathwamasi
What is this singers name Ramprasad or Ramaprasad . YOu seem to follow this musician so may know his name

pvs

Post by pvs »

@rajeshnat
He goes by Palghat Ramprasad.