Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi , TS & Thrissur Radhakrishnan - Dallas Nov 5th 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi , TS & Thrissur Radhakrishnan - Dallas Nov 5th 2017

Post by shankarank »

This was a special event organized by a new organization formed on that day called Mayura.

1. mOhana KalyANi vaRNam ( I was not there for this)
2. sadAnanda tANDavam - bahudAri - svarams @ bhaktarum siddharum)
3. nAmoralagimpavE - Dhanyasi - rUpakam - composer? - a Short Alapana
4. srI rAma pAdama - AmritavaHini - Adi - tyagaraja - Alapana
5. mAyamma - Ahiri - Adi - SyAma Sastri - Short Alapana
6. SankarAcARyam - SankarAbharaNam - Adi - subbarAma dIkshitar - RS - tani
7. Shanmugapriya - RTP - miSrajampa - khanda nadai - 4 akShara offset - arudi kAravi was 5 Aksharas.
I did not note the full line wording - it was in tamizh - started as kandanai .. GJR mentioned that this was based on Alathur's 1960 Pallavi in MA - that created history - which was reset by his Father into a different tAla, then reset by them again - and finally set to this tALam by TS himself.

rAgamalika in ??(forget a familair one), huSeni by GV, varALi, sivaranjani? , forget a familiar one

8. bArO krishnayya
9. eppa varuvAro?? ( missing notes)
10. sindhubhairavi - tillana

Alapana for (4) was lilting. (5) was a surprise after DhanyAsi and there was a again a lilting short Alapana. A good SankarAbharaNam and a serene rendition. svarams were to 1/2 after samam and lot of rhythmic forays with TS and TRK pitching in.

A great memorable tani by TS and TRK

Shamugapriya was the highlight - and I did hear SubapantuvarALi type touches in it - given their instrumental handling. Vijayalakshmi mesmerized with a lower stAyi episode - gaining applause - promptly replied with a Sruti bhEdam in nATtai by GJR regaining the same.

The Pallavi structure was expansive - with a 4 (offset) , 5, 8, 8, 4, 3, 3 = 35 = 7*5 ( for the miSra laghu in khanDa nadai). After string of 8(s) and a 4, it had a 3-ish landing into Arudhi. They did not do trikAlam.

TS did a short mohra and kOrvai as a follow up.

A great treat to Dallas - which has not had this pair tour us for quite sometime. Presence of TS added to the grandeur of the concert - goes without saying.
Last edited by shankarank on 09 Nov 2017, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi , TS & Thrissur Radhakrishnan - Dallas Nov 5th 2017

Post by rajeshnat »

The ghatam artist is Tripunithura Radhakrishnan and not Thrissur Radhakrishnan

hnbhagavan

Re: Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi , TS & Thrissur Radhakrishnan - Dallas Nov 5th 2017

Post by hnbhagavan »

Thanks for a welcome review on the concert of Lalgudi Duo.The duo were on a tour to USA and Canada with the eminent Vidwans Trichy Sankaran and Tripunithura radhakrishnan.So far no one had posted review of their concerts in this tour.A very good song list indeed.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagwan,
Please read the review of Boston's CM violin star and guru Tara Anand's review of the double header concerts in the Sanjay at Boston thread. Post #23 by Chellappa...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I have read the Boston Review thanks to Chellappa.I meant no review was posted in Rasikas.
thank u

arasi

Post by arasi »

I don't know if Tara Anand is a Rasikas.org member. She's a musician, teacher and a local resident--which adds another dimension to our own reviews, I think.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I swear I wrote my review without reading that one - since it was buried in a thread - I am no more interested in reading! :(

arasi

Post by arasi »

For those who missed Tara Anand's review of Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi's concert in LOKVANI, here it is...:)

October 8th, 2017

Lalgudi G.J.R. Krishnan, Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi, Vidwan Trichy Sankaran, Tripunitura Radhakrishnan…..

On the second day of the double header, there was an instrumental treat in store, a violin duet by Lalgudi G.J.R. Krishnan, and Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi, accompanied by none other than the inimitable Vidwan Trichy Sankaran on the mridangam and Tripunittura Radhakrishnan on the ghatam. Anytime one listens to a concert in the Lalgudi bani on the violin, the feeling that resonates is one of lilting melody, sweetness and the lasting power of a “gayaki” bani , where there is emphasis on the lyrics and the content of the song even though the presentation is instrumental. The audience was treated to an evening of tranquil, almost meditative music, sweet and chaste. Starting with a varnam composed by their Guru in the ragam Kannada, the concert flowed, ebbing and weaving with ease, like the shining waters of a beautiful river. The sub-main item was “ Isha Pahimam” in Kalyani, a Lalgudi pancharatnam. A poised and emotion filled Kalyani alapanai was played by Vijayalakshmi. The Lalgudi version of the kirtanam was neatly set and arranged, a perfect pataanthara as one has come to expect from that school.
Then followed Swarams, the quick repartee of short swarams , small lilting patterns, simple math and melody coming together at every turn. A very lively and mellifluous ‘Manavyalakincharathate’ in Nalinakanthi was a delightful blend of catchy variations. The meditative “Enatinomuphalamo’ , Saint Tyagaraja’s compostion was the main item, a classic and earthy Bhairavi alapanai by GJR Krishnan, soulful neraval passages and swaram, that was crowned with the Tani by Vidwan Tricky Sankaran. The RTP in the Raga HIndolam was creatively handled by the duo, a lively thanam, with Ragamalika swarams garlanding the whole presentation. There was a most moving presentation of “Aye Methakadinam” a ragamalika, essayed in a very heartfelt manner by the duo. The concert ended with a brilliant composition of their Guru, in the raga Sindhubhairavi. The Lalgudi school is known for its extremely vibrant presentation of tillanas , and this was masterfully rendered by them. A feeling of tranquility and soft serenity pervaded the entire concert. The concert was appreciated by all, among them also many diehard fans of the inimitable Lalgudi Bani.

The the crowning jewel of all , was the most masterful accompaniment by none other than the Veteran Vidwan on the mridangam, Sri Trichy Sankaran. I am sure every artist on stage that day considered it a blessing to have him on stage with them that day. Brilliant performances cannot be described or recalled, they merely have to be experienced. He anticipated every musical nuance and pattern, and transformed the concert into a most uniquely transformative experience. Years of playing for stalwarts, his matchless grounding in the Pazhani school and his most grand strokes and touches made the evening an experience to treasure and cherish forever. His brillant tani avartanam was but a small demonstration of his mastery over the instrument and the art. And that tani had us all in a state of hypnotic wonder….. the power, the subtlety, all at once, touching so many hearts …. We were all blessed to listen to him that day.
Sri Tripunnitura Radhakrishnan on the ghatam, was a wonderful addition and an asset to the performance. His accompaniment was timely, nuanced and accentuated the music positively all along. He was appreciated by Vidwan Trichy Sankaran, and performed most remarkably beside him, always deferring to the master on stage, but coming into his own and demonstrating his artistry throughout the concert.

Once again, our heartfelt gratitude to the artists and to Chinmaya and the many organizers for a most soul fulfilling weekend of music….