Kuraipu swaram

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
srinpraveen

Post by srinpraveen »

1) What are the essentials to be kept in my mind during the singing of sarvalaghu swaram which precedes the korvai during kalpana swaram recital? I want a general algorithm.
(Of Course each ragam has its uniqueness which needs to be portrayed in swaraprasthanam. But there is a traditional way of doing it and hence I want an outline of that)

2) What is kuraipu swaram? And in which part of the sarvalaghu swaram can it be implemented?

3)What are swaras like (say in Hamsadhwani) the one below called? Where should it be implemented in swara kalpana?
S
NS
PNS
GPNS
RGPNS etc...

4)Apart from continuous listening to various artists' audio pics and learning corresponding varnams for each kriti what else are the other things I must do to improve my swara kalpna singing ability and to render a nice polished sarvalaghu swara pattern topped up with a good korvai?

5) What is the first step to be taken to learn korvais? (Of course by listening to korvais of performing artists we can try to replicate it. No doubt about that.) But what does it really take (and how long) to start manufacturing our own aesthetic korvais and get about doing them like clockwork in concerts without any jitter?

These are my questions......... :(

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, srinpraveen, To speak in a language fluently and efficiently one has to gather wide vocabulary, know how and where to use each word of them, become able to use the correct word when needed. These things are essential in respect of a language, which is visible and available in books. But, in respect of music, which is only audible but not visible like a language, it is very difficult to become a professional unless one starts his study in music in an early age, learns in a disciplined manner from an efficient teacher (but not an efficient performer), makes regular and knowledgeable practice for hours together for many years. Unless one does all these things he cannot have the needed rhythmical control and sing even a Kriti leave alone Korvais or Kuraipus or Sarvalaghu Svaram. Even if one does a little of all these things and, having become highly satisfied with what practice he did, tries to sing he has to sing for his own satisfaction only. While all other subjects have to be studied, these Fine arts, Music and Dance, not only have to be studied but also practiced regularly and heavily. All the people are ready to study but not ready for the strenuous physical exertion of the regular practice. If you want to make some progress in Svarakalpana download the CD ‘AMS Easy methods’ from http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~chandra/ and follow it. If you practice them regularly, become able to retain the things properly and inform me your progress I shall try to guide you. amsharma.

mohan

Post by mohan »

srinpraveen see the previous thread http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=777

mohan

Post by mohan »

Kuraippu means reduction. After singing a few rounds of swaram, the artiste sometimes will stop on a major note of the raga. In Hamsadhwani it could be Ga. The kuraippu would begin now:

1. Sing swaram for one avartanam finishing on Ga. Repeat a few times using different combinations.
2. Sing swaram for half an avartnam finishing on Ga. Repeat a few times using different combinations.
3. Sing swaram for quarter an avartnam finishing on Ga. Repeat a few times using different combinations.
4. Sing swaram for an eigth of half an avartnam finishing on Ga. Repeat a couple of times.

In 1-kalai Adi talam this would equate to
1. 8 counts of the talam (one avartanam)
2. 4 counts
3. 2 counts
4. 1 count

Notice how the number is reducing by half each time.

After this there maybe one more long sarva laghu set of swaram followed by a korvai.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

There is no easy substitute to a "good learned guru", if one wants to master carnatic music !

srinpraveen

Post by srinpraveen »

Thanks all for your kind replies. NOw am atleast relieved that I have solid guidancce in rasikas. Akella garu I'll try your link and come back with the feedback. I am ready to sweat out and put my best foot forward because carnatic music is my passion.

Mohan, thank you for the briefing of kuraipu swaram. And Sundara Rajan your point is a valid point. I am hunting for a proper guru for higher learning (more kritis, varnam collection, manodharmam based things....)
Hope to seek all your guidance when I come back next time. Thank You.
SP

srinpraveen

Post by srinpraveen »

Hi Mohan!
Does the same logic (kuraipu swaram) hold good for all talas ( I can infer that what you said previously is conveniently applicable for adhi talam 1 kalai and 2 kalai)?
Because if we take say kanda chapu or rupakam or misra chapu talam and sing for 1/2 avarthanai, 1/4, 1/8 it will be cumbersome right? Because we get cumbersome fractions like 7/8 counts say in misra chapu and say 5/8 counts in kada chaou etc.. So is there some deviation to the mathematical logic when it comes to these talams or the same one?

mohan

Post by mohan »

For these shorter talas you can use perhaps 2 or more avartanams and start the kuraippu. For example in Khanda Chapu you finish on say the Pa and keep finishing on the Pa every 4 cycles. Then reduce it to 2 cycles, then 1. Khanda Chapu is essentially 10 aksharas per cycle so it can again be halfed to 5 aksharas.

For rupakam you can do kuraippu doing two avartana, then 1 avaratana, half an avartana.

Kuraippu for Misra Chapu can start with 2 avartanams then 1 avartanams. Misra Chapu is 14 aksharas can be again halfed but some people split it into 6 + 8 and have a different type of effect. You will have to listen and watch this to understand it better.

srinpraveen

Post by srinpraveen »

Thank You Mohan...
So I infer now that a "conventional" kuraipu can be done by halving eternally (by taking adequate aksharas/avarthanais) till we reach a convenient akshara count beyond which further splitting (halving) would prove cumbersome and hence we stop at that point and then continue the last bit of sarvalaghu swaram which ends with the korvai....
So is this sequence of events which I have got right? I want to confirm my understanding....

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

srinpraveen wrote:till we reach a convenient akshara count beyond which further splitting (halving) would prove cumbersome and hence we stop at that point
One stops not because it's cumbersome but because further halving is not possible...For eg: in K.capu u cannot reduce 5 mAtrAs (Note: here 1 akshara refers to 1 beat and 4 mAtrAs make an akshara in catusra nadai Adi Thalam) further because that would be 21/2 mAtrAs and the least count of thAlam in carnatic music is 1 mAtrA. How can one sing swaram for 1/2 mAtra?
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 28 Jun 2007, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ish_14

Re: Kuraipu swaram

Post by Ish_14 »

Hello Namaskaram !!

Could somehow explain what are the rules of the kuraippu and korvai of the kalpana swaras ? Like how exactly the koravai or kuraippu swaras should be placed and everything? From the basics ..is there any YouTube link that teaches the same ? Please help me. Thanks.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: Kuraipu swaram

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have always wished some workshop on the subject happens at least in Chennai during the December season.
Lecdems of 1 hour wont help.