Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Carnatic Musicians
hnbhagavan

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I agree with Facebook observations. Sanjay Subramanyam is a musician who is always giving his best to Rasikas. He minds his business and does not indulge in extra fanfare .In Chennai he gets many other people to accompany,but in Bangalore it is generally S Vadarajan and Venkatesh.However there is no complaint on this account.
He is least complaining and arrives in time each and every time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I did hear the radio recording of nattaikurinji of this concert. It was not that great and his voice was rough, nattaikurinji was bit so so . But for Sanjay intense fans like maalaa iyer ,it does not matter . Few years back his bhairavi in navarathri mantapam was fantastic , but this year nattaikurinji just did not meet the usual standards. Certainly the ambience of lighted lamps in navarathri mantapam is always a experience that I look forward to taste it atleast once in my life

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
You are going by Sanjay-standards, by which I mean, he has sung better nATTaikkuRinji-s. Right?--Santosh Mala's impressions aside...:)

To me, it had an experimental whirl to it. I heard the recording again. I found it more nuanced on my second hearing. To me, something which sounds even better on second hearing indicates that it's a worthy rendering. I have heard Sanjay singing N KuRinji in different modes (moods?), and the one which stands out at the moment is 'kuvalaya dala nayanA, brOvavE' (was there at Rani Seethai-kala Rasana, and it's on YouTube). The mood, the energy and the gait, the svarA passage--all very special.

At NavarAtri maNtapam, pAhi in N KuRinji served more as an RTP. MMI's 'ta ra la la' is thrown in sometimes by Sanjay, we know. I've never heard the 'tup tup' our feline would harp on, but I did hear a couple of tat tat tat-s in this one :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A thoughtful artist:
"#BaniFestival concert at Kalakshetra by @sanjaysub begins very aptly with Tiger Varadachariar's varnam on Rukmini Devi in vAcaspati"
I read that he sang a mind-blowing Kambodhi. Sanjay Kambodhi is special always.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Tamizhukku amuthenru per.
Sanjay's acceptance speech at Tamizh Isai Sangam
(In Tamizh)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-MHgw ... outu.be&a=

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From Sanjay's blog:
"Happy New Year 2018!
2018 is upon us all. The last year was very significant musically to me. In the corner of my end there is always a small thought. What if I lost interest in what I am doing? What if everything becomes meaningless? I am restless mind and have been known in the past to dabble in too many things outside of my main occupation. What if that restless nature intruded on that which I enjoy doing most? I like to revisit this thought mostly on the 1st of January. It is a kind of taking stock of myself. Asking myself how the last year has been, has it been worth it, will I continue this into the next year.
Thankfully it is the same answer I get this year also. 2017 was fantastic! 2018 will be fantastic too. I still enjoy every minute I spend on Carnatic music. Every new song I learn. Every old song that I sing that one more time like polishing old silverware. Every new raga that I discover in the process of updating myself.
Of course the greatest excitement is when all that effort done at home is brought on to the concert stage. Then things take over almost in auto pilot mode. The stage, the accompanists, the ambience and you the wonderful audience start me off on this great journey. I get off the stage, go home and am already thinking of the next concert, where is it, what am I singing, what do I have to practice tomorrow etc etc.
It is a fortune to be allowed by the society to earn a living as a musician. Not all societies are privileged. Issues plague people at different levels. Issues some of which are under our control and some beyond. Still the music can heal. The music need not disturb. It can beautifully comfort both the settled and the unsettled. Thank you all for giving me this freedom to do what I want and thank you for your patience and dealing with my own aberrations that may have marred your idea of what SHOULD be. Thank you and Happy New Year! It will be better, bright and beautiful!"

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A friend who is not buffed to carnatic music told me today, 'I heard today Sanjay in youtube. enna sukham! He reminded me of GNB whom I heard long back in Srirangam.'

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kvchellappa wrote: โ†‘19 Jan 2018, 07:51Uncle interviewing nephew:
Isn't it the nephew who is interviewing the uncle?? :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

arasi

Post by arasi »

One of the many beguiling pieces from the four hour bonanza on the first of January. You would have flipped for the kEdAra gowLa too--anda rAma soundaryam, Arunachalak kavi's, after ages as it were...:)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

"Sanjay as a music icon is not an overnight sensation, but a rare gem that emerged through more than three decades of relentless pursuit of classical music."
A lovely interview, as great as his music.
It explains why some call him every year while other artistes may be rotated, why some give him two chances and why there is a craze from the audience, which some seem to cavil at.
https://indianexpress.com/article/india ... SXaI2Pma1g

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Ah, @kvchellappa, you've beat me to it :) I was just about to share the same article. What a fantastic interview, with some great questions and insightful answers from Sanjay! Thoroughly satisfying read.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lovely interview , lot of data points were indeed collected , curated with right answers. WHen Dec 01st The Hindu was published there was a writeup of sanjay but this indian express is lovely as more space is given just like how concerts are for 3 hours plus. I have to disagree on two slots in BGS in one season even though in the answer it is camouflaged the second is not organized by BGS. Also this year i see for the first time Music Academy is opening up the hall even before Dec 15 for an exclusive concert of his which is a thamizh isai concert. I am assuming that kind of came up after Bharat Sangeet utsav did not conduct a curtain raiser this year.

All said he is a star in marketing music and surely a star in singing so many compositions. Best wishes to Sanjay and great job Pramodh Kumar the journalist.When one reads these kind of interviews it pumps high energy personally to me .

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear all,
a very good and long insight into Sanjay Subrahmanyan.
I thought I will make it into an off-line, readable PDF:
http://bit.ly/SanjaySubIE5Dec

You can download and read at leisure.
Right now, on my Mac, "Veena" is reading it to me :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

First time I am kinda reviewing an INTERVIEW :lol:

I in fact pushed my official work to the afternoon so I could read this long interview. If this interview is any indication, the Indian Express is getting so many things right.

The photographs are a treat. The interviewer is not only a veteran of Sanjay music, he is an extremely intelligent and versatile interviewer. I see awe and wonder many times in his questions, being a superfan, but Sanjay takes it in his stride.

Those of us in rasikas.org who feel they belong to a unique eco-system called Carnatic music have much to celebrate in Sanjay.
  • 1. Master class in concert planning and presentation.
    2. Versatility.
    3. Innovation without annoyance.
    4. The man is an artiste. Period. Not a media persona nor an activist. That makes him uniquely humble, in fact.
    5. Role model for young artistes.
    6. In Sanjay, there is proof that you can see -that becoming a master of music is not about just fluke or fad or good voice or packaging or backing. It is HARD WORK. Musical creativity in full deployment like a great ISRO satellite.
    7. A sense of satisfaction, a poise; no grudge, grievance, pity, anger or angst. He has arrived at his point of equipoise. It is dynamic equilibrium.
    8. A respect for the yesteryear greats.
    9. Every moment or answer not being used for self-promotion.
    10. Ability to learn and try new things, which shows he is not done yet.
I wish Sanjay many more accolades! This is one instance of "when an artiste wins, Carnatic music wins".

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

You match Sanjay, Mr. RSachi, in expression, sincerity and candour.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

But after all, Sir, a mango leaf is only a mango leaf, but a mango fruit is a mango fruit!
๐Ÿ™

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sanjay, The Howard Roark of Carnatic Music :)

Ananth

Post by Ananth »

sureshvv wrote: โ†‘06 Dec 2018, 22:10 Sanjay, The Howard Roark of Carnatic Music :)
Now who is trying to be the John Galt?!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Balashankar , I did not pay that much attention when he used the words Felicitous? Or facile? . I think he writes sincerely and with right choice of words. Balashankar is related to MKR sir so a kind of MKR's appa Late KS Mahadevan swing is there.
Sanjay review of IFA dated Dec 28,2018

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 840797.ece

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I like this one!

Bettada melondu - Narayani - Akka mahadevi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC7uP2kX9w

This is my comment on YouTube: This one surely is a googly from you Sir! I must admit, I am clean bowled!๏ปฟ

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Harikambodhi decided to take it's life lightly ignoring all tigerish critics without gan(a)dharam :lol:

Now did I hit a sixer? :P

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

i was really impressed to hear Sanjay Subrahmanyan sing the rare varnams!!(which are available on youtube)
he has sung ata thala varnams in ragas like neelambari, mukhari, ahiri and etc.
which we would have not heard or imagined.

im also happy that sanjay is bring up the compositions of
rare composers, tamizh composers and contemporary composers.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Every musician gives a curtain raiser prior to actual margazhi start . This year in the name of brand new term thamizhum naanum 2 consecutive days of concerts in academy as special curtain raiser is happening with sajay being featured. There is also a special writeup by V Sriram in The Hindu dated dec 01st 2019 . I was wondering 4 to 5 years back Brahma gana sabha gave 2 slots one in dec series and another Jan 01st and that is still continuing year on year . Now academy is giving apart from dec series concert,two consecutive curtain raisers with money thrown by TTK which i am seeing as ads . To be fair to all artists , say one slot in academy in the name of thamizhum naanum should be given to sanjay , the second should be given to say another great crowd puller like Ranjani Gayathri or say as a 3rd standby say Abhishek Raghuram . That is fairness and respect for all vidwans and vidushis , you respect both art and crowd pulling capability which i think Sanjay,Raga possess the most and then may be Abhishek. I would not be wrong to assume that Aruna , Sudha have faded which is understandable as they are more senior in age to sanjay and raga.

This is what is multiplier effect of Music Academy - The Hindu - Insiders like V Sriram can exclusively do . Not fair to rest of the artists and giving undue favoritism with 3 slots in december in academy. I am also wondering why was academy not opening to any other concerts prior to Dec 15 and suddenly giving under the cloak of thamizhum naanum on Dec 08 and 09 which has never happened ever in the life history of Academy.

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 123431.ece

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

deleted
Last edited by kvchellappa on 02 Dec 2019, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
For so many years, Tamizh Isai Sangam has been the only venue which had offered all tamizh kritis concerts--but for a rare l tamizh concert happening somewhere nearby. Tamizhum Naanum was welcomed for its happening at the very hub of the music scene. Then there were complaints that many could not get tickets tor the event. I think the double header is a way to offer seats to more enthusiasts. If Sanjay generates enough fervor among different groups of wannabe listeners, so be it. CM would gain more rasikAs. It would follow that a series of concerts by different artistes would happen as well. Let's not frown over a good thing...

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Rajesh - As far as I am aware this is a private concert organised by Sanjay and an event management company. They have just hired Music Academy hall, last year it was in Narada Gana Sabha. Music Academy has nothing to do organising / arranging with Tamizhum Naanum. Sriram V is a personal friend of SS and promoting it on his own not as a Sec of MA.

If RaGa or anyone else wants, they can too hire MA premises โ€ฆ. this is my understanding ...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MaheshS wrote: โ†‘04 Dec 2019, 21:53Sriram V is a personal friend of SS and promoting it on his own not as a Sec of MA.
The appearance of a CoI between these two roles will definitely exist even if extraordinary measures are taken to separate the two. :)

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

want to write a few experiences with our fine Sanjay who is easily one of the greatest and popular Carnatic Musicians of our times and his fans are many and swelling in numbers! I can also recall that in our youngster days it was evergreen Madurai Mani IYER and GNB Who were great crowd pulleys. when we had celebrated my dad CHITTI @ MANIKODI 100 years at BHARATHI home @ Triplicane in 2010 Sanjay and his wife graced occasion over just an SMS!If Sanjay is gentleman to the core๐Ÿ˜€Happy Birthday Sanjay๐Ÿ˜€venu๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Happy Birthday, Sanjay!
I enjoyed your improvisation in this beautiful rendition:
https://youtu.be/Zu_n0HJvytc

Spontaneously I messaged my friend who shared the video with me with nine epithets for you, Sanjay!

arasi

Post by arasi »

gul gandh, sugandh
bilkul pasand rAg, rAg-s?

Born out of long years
Of endless searching
His paying attention to
The chosen art ,always
Paving way to perfection

Patience, practice, taking
pains to learn, not let go--
Perseverance the badge
Sanjay wears proudly, yes!

A Happy Year to him and to his followers...

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer Rasikas Association, Cordially invites you for the Special Listening Session of the immortal music of Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer.
Chief Guest: Sangeetha Vidwan Shri. R.K.Shriramkumar(Renowned Violinist & Guru).
On Sunday 23rd February, 2020, between 4.15 pm to 7.30 pm.
At Vivekananda Hall, P.S.High School, Mylapore
High Tea: 4.00 pm onwards๐Ÿ˜ƒcontact venu sundar 9841313527 email esvee45@gmail.com๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜˜

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Why is this in Sanjay thread?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suresh,
Because Venu's enthusiasm for both MMI's music and Sanjay's, makes him see no difference in the names;)

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

An "ardent" fan's tribute copied and pasted below:

A timid tribute to Sanjay Subrahmanyan !

How do you do this,
Sanjay 'Sir'?
What mร gic you weave
So spell- bound we sit
Three hours at a stretch
And one time in a year 4
You set rasikas' hearts racing
Your genius to perceive!
Varnams rainbow- hued
Kritis and Kirtanas
Svaras and alapanas
Ragam, thanams and pallavis
So thoughtfully chosen
So soulfully rendered
They just pour
Like liquid gold
Melt and shine
And in golden vapours
Engulf our hearts !
We catch our breaths
In awe we drink from your fountain of dvanis
As unravel you do
In such easeful fashion
The amrut of music
So generously gifted!
My question simple be
How do you such magic weave?
You empty to heart's content
Your creative verve
In every single Kutchery your best you give
From which inspiring fountain of inspiration you refill
So that Music floats and waves engulf all over again
The auditorium reveberates
Kutchery after Kutchery
With your soulful songs?
I am not even an ardent Rasika
My knowledge of music such drops in an ocean be
But yet after each Kutchery I attend of yours
The music in my heart
Warm, enriching and spiritually awakening
Refills my parched heart, nay my very soul!
How do you do this, Sanjay 'Sir'
Or Thala or whatever endearing name you are given
How do you with such effortless ease
Most of the time with not even a sip of water,
How do you raise the bar
So each of us gets to peer deep into our very hearts
And glimpse splendid wave after wave of pure delight awakened?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB:
Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Sometime in 1994/95 was in the Shatabdi Express from Bengaluru to Chennai - there was self inflicted pressure to compose a Tillana, which I completed on that journey, Never had the guts to sing it in public until 13/04/19 (My Guru had ok'd it back then!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx_1cHU ... 8oAJyzIHkM

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Review from The Hindu - Jan 06 2022
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 152098.ece