Maharajapuram Santhanam

Carnatic Musicians
varsha

Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by varsha »

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1gpgit ... /santhanam
here are some links that may make you feel better.
I spent the better part of 80s when I just got into this stream,chasing down santhanam and tvs.from venue o venue.
not once did i pause to listen to mdr / skaly - live
to each , ones own cross.
ones own regrets :cry: :cry: :cry:

varsha

Post by varsha »

Purist

Post by Purist »

#101 Varsha -that was a nice selection,( specially made up for vinodnn ;) . Rakishmpave in MM Gowda was a pleasant surprise, as we generally get to hear only Tulasidala,Meru Samana and Vidhulaku of Thyagaraja. I too used to chase MVS from venue to venue during Ramanavami & Ganesh Chaturthi festivals. However didn't miss MDR at Gayana Samaj and Fort High School concerts. TSK concerts were rare.

#100 vinodnn --Maharajapuram did have a wide repertoire, may be you have not heard many of his concerts. Some rare one's like Nasamani,Gangeyabhusani,Nagagandhari etc used to be elaborated and rarer Krithis in familiar ragas like Ra Ra raghuveera & Sri Vaidyanathan - in Athana, Unde Ramadu- harikambodhi and so on. Of course there were repetitive one's in thukkadas section (post Thani) but that was to do with listener's choice/chits. He had a bag full of Purandaradas krithis specially for concerts in Karnataka,where he was very popular.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vinodnn wrote:In spite of being a great maestro, I personally feel that shri santhanam is one of the ever neglected vocalists in the carnatic world.

I don't believe that he delivered less number of concerts in his life time. But the number of recordings of the maestro that is available in the web are less/limited. Till the beginning of 80s, he had been working in the Veeramani music college in Jaffna. May be due to this, he might not have delivered much concerts in India during that period. At least I haven't got a chance to listen to much concerts in his pre-80s.

When I hear people talking about legendary musicians (in TV or other media or in public talks), I hardly heard reference about shri Santhanam. I feel pain while seeing this. There are several vidwans/vidushis at his times including D K Jayaraman, Tanjavur S Kalyanaraman, Balamuralikrishna, M L Vasanthakumari, etc. who are remembered by rasikas. But I wonder why a maestro like Santhanam is not in the picture.

I feel that he got his Sangeetha Kalanidhi too late (similar to the fate of other vidwans like KVN, Nedunuri etc.).

Had he given any lecture demonstrations? I haven't got a chance to hear one.
Vinodnn
No of recordings for santhanam is less or limited is absolutely incorrect . Infact from 1986 onwards almost every song that he sang was recorded either by some audio recording like HMV or by his own company Vani recording . His stay in yazhpaanam was in late 60's , please remember from the time of 1968's post the passing away of GNB-MMI tilll 1980's that era generally cm is not talked about . My own theory is possibly the drama (cho dramas) and cinemas (like sivaji ganesan early kamalhassan )took a share away from the rasikas . THere is still a misconception that CM was reignited only by santhanam after the golden era of ssi-mmi-gnb-ms subhalakshmi etc.

DKJ is remembered more now because vijay siva , dr sundar and RKSK conduct more rememberance day concerts.

BMK is living so he will be always be a legend and be remembered .

MLV has to an extent sudha who propagates that .

SKR I dont think any one remembers that much other than designated core and intense rasikas . When the sunaadha vinodhan cd was released by Brinda Venkatraman , there was lot of touch points with SKR about 8 years back , it is on and off at times.

TRS mama I wish there are more recordings , nearly the same fate as SKR. Thank god atleast he lived till he was 84, i wish they gave the sangeetha kalanidhi to him than rather giving the consolation sangeetha kala acharya for the caliber and he living till 2013 ,TRS must have got SK .

Ramnad krishnan died young in 1973 lot of that is lost - He lived in the era of pre video and recording days , I wish he died 10 years later

KVN for his music and with a lot of musicians following his style will be covered

Somu looks the legacy is lost with some scanty touchpoints by musicians like sanjay,suryaprakash and abhishek .

In santhanam case , Ramachandran is doing great . Dr Ganesh and Srinivasan are lagging behind musically but all three of them are not media and internet savvy The main Print media The Hindu covers TMK,Sanjay,BJ , Vijay Siva etal and unfortunately these 3 disciples of santhanam have not entry to that media in a recurring basis . Dont worry in 2028 , I will cheer lead the maharajapuram santhanam centenary celebrations :) :)

I thought santhanam got his kalanidhi at the right time at the age of 61 , please remember before 1989 ,semmangudi mama was pushing all his disciples like TMT, TNK , KSN etc for many years too and also Dr Pinakapini were way too much senior to santhanam who had to get .

On a side note there is a huge galaxy of rasikas who think CM is dead after santhanam passed away . Few of my relatives still think no body yet sings CM like santhanam and they dont even step into concert and live with the 30 audio casssettes and CDs of santhanam. In terms of janaranjakam and reach I think santhanam is highest may be after ms amma is my calculated guess.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote:[quote=", i wish they gave the sangeetha kalanidhi to him than rather giving the consolation sangeetha kala acharya for the caliber and he living till 2013 ,TRS must have got SK .

Not too sure what has the award got to do in the write up. And for gods sake why kindle the SK award and keep harping why it was not given, The musicians that you have mentioned are all noteworthy and the award is just a incidental !!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The december 2016 season is on . As a teaser for you all to get out of your homes and go to sabha here is a small appetizer. Meastro Maharajapuram santhanam singing anilatharala (an ashtapadi) in a rare ragam vishwapriya . The uploader has wrongly tagged maharajapuram santhanam as maharajapuram vishwanathan. It is ok, let some one who hears this youtube upload think that vishwanatha iyer also sang jayadeva ashtapadi .It is ok for santhanam to give credit to his source vishwanatha iyer. I had no clue then that there are 24 ashtapadis- but what a strike when you start with santhanam and his melliflous voice with a lovely alapana.

Super sowkhyam anilatharala - vishwapriya - jayadeva ashtapadi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKyr2aDJK0

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shri Santhanam has most occassions skipped singing RTP. I didnot realise then when I started listening thru him CM, he preferred to drop a megaragamaliga Viruththam or Slokkham or Ugabhoooga instead of RTP.What can one say , we miss a "gAndharva" voice quality, I wish this kind of santhanam voice and emote is there today- 10 million fresh blood rasikas will be added in 5 years.We donot need press writeups and counters .We have few vidwans and vidushi emulating this voice quality but with varying degress of success not reached this sweet spot of emote and voice quality as santhanam.25 years later (he passed away in 1992)when he is gone just feel blessed that I started CM by mainly listening live only to this gAndharvA. What a pull he was in 70's to 1992 for those who went to his concert and started with him CM , there are many many like me.

Today is maharajapuram santhanam birth day .Dec03,1928 was the day he was born, few writeups have come in tamil periodicals on shri santhanam's birthday. I just curated Few of his megahits with a viruththam , slokham and ugabhooga in youtube

1.viruththam - KandA guhA shanmugha - brindavani + kandA guha- DarbAri KAnadA+ Devi - hamsAnandi followed by yerumayil eru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuwK9JeZf0

2. slokham - shree ramachandra shritha jAtha - brindavana saranga + niranthara mangalam - sivaranjani + Shree ramachandra - dwijAvanthi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyP3ht9SOzs

3. ugabhooga - Anayu karadarE - brindavana saranga + nArayana Odi bandanu - darbAri KAnadA + sree krishna bandanu - bhageshri + adaviyali dhuvarAya - hamsAnandi + sabhayalli - mohanam + purandara vittalA - neelambari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=241SKb7Gfak

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

It's good to see that a few of us still remember this day. There are a lot of eminent musicians now and then. But I would say Shri Santhanam is incomparable. His magical voice will create a serene atmosphere around us. Thanks for digging this up.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Amazing. This MahSan is new to me. More of this kind please.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Reading thamizh takes too long a time . But the above writeup by Jayamohan is just fantastic . From 1987 to 1992 i was mad mad about santhanam, . Those days going to shops like Lakshmi Musicals in T Nagar and not making up my mind whether to buy Illayaraja side A Payanangal Mudivaathillai vs Side B Udaya Geetham/Mudhal mariyadai movies of illayaraja or go with Vani casette of Maharajapuram santhanam . Spending 35 to 45 rupees was a big money for many like me. gAndharva kural maharajapuram santhanam with his gravitas voice just pulls and sucks. There was zero press and media writeups that many followed (Not saying he did not have any) . Many just hear and get loyal to his muse There is zero hype in jeyamohan writeup and he is writing without an iota of lies talking about santhanam.

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

rajeshnat wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 15:28
Reading thamizh takes too long a time . But the above writeup by Jayamohan is just fantastic . From 1987 to 1992 i was mad mad about santhanam, . Those days going to shops like Lakshmi Musicals in T Nagar and not making up my mind whether to buy Illayaraja side A Payanangal Mudivaathillai vs Side B Udaya Geetham/Mudhal mariyadai movies of illayaraja or go with Vani casette of Maharajapuram santhanam . Spending 35 to 45 rupees was a big money for many like me. gAndharva kural maharajapuram santhanam with his gravitas voice just pulls and sucks. There was zero press and media writeups that many followed (Not saying he did not have any) . Many just hear and get loyal to his muse There is zero hype in jeyamohan writeup and he is writing without an iota of lies talking about santhanam.
Simply great...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

It is difficult to hear a song by vocalist without mrudangam support as we always hear concerts with total blended support . There can be few exceptions where you may either have to get up early to hear some suprapadha sangeetham or know the musician in private to hear without mrudangam. i have had almost zero chance to hear those Non Mrudangam Vocal concerts. Those concerts will surely expose even the basic voice quality and shruti adherence of a vocalist.

Many many vocalists do not have voice quality and at times it is with only a great mrudangam artist the lift of even basic aesthetics happen. How many vocalist of today especially stars can sing with decent voice quality without we hearing the blended support of mrudangam taps.

This is one rare recording where mrudangam is not picked up in the recording.We only hear maharajapuram santhanam and violinist . Still hear the true *intrinsic voice quality* of maharajapuram santhanam with violin support and non recorded mrudangam in this AmbaNilambari-Ponniah Pillai. The applause is quite loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgIfHd6bt4

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

You call this voice!! Kolaveri di ( I just heard it again) has more (இந்த மண்ணின் இசை ) if not carnatic than what he is singing. Cine music is more honorable than this travesty!

If you call this voice quality, just do a thought experiment and hear this as nIlAmbari Alapana in your mind with similar vocalization. if he were to stop with just that without the song - then imagine to yourself how many would clap and how much of that would be sincere?!

It is to the credit of the composers that , even this passed and became popular. This sort of music arose when people stopped listening to nAdasvaram!

He pronounces bRhannAyaki and briganAyaki - yeah the nayaki of his brighas!

This laid to the foundation of the travesty called the YACM era music - with his music - a binge equivalent of irrational exuberance in the stock market that led to financial crisis in 2008.

Liquidation and bad debt write off - as Warren Buffet would have it - we will know who drowned and who are still swimming!

We go all hell over to defend the attacks on MSS music (which does not need any defending) , but we don't even hear about how many insiders genuinely expressed concern of this trend - those voices never heard!

எம் எஸ் அந்த பல்லவி பாடினார் , இந்த பல்லவி பாடினார் , முதல்ல பல்லவின்னா என்னன்னு தெரியுமா ? அதக்கேளு !!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://soundcloud.com/shankar-krishna- ... v#t=28m18s

Roll to 28m , 18 s - if the timeline URL does not work on soundcloud.

Instead of Dr BMK, would he have dared to ask about Sri Maharajapuram Santhanam. Who was recognized exactly by those people, who would not have recognized Dr BMK or understood his music?

அது எப்படின்னா, பதில் சொல்பவருக்கு அடி விழும் , கேட்டவரின் சங்கீத அடித்தளம் ஆடிவிடும். சும்மாவா செம்பனாரிடம் சென்றார்?!!

The person answering such a question ( assuming he answered honestly based on his inherited knowledge) on MVS would have to face the wrath, and then questioner's music would have started to rest on shaky grounds! You think he went to Sempanarkoil for no reason?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Something has reduced music to just frequencies , not even sound. With the help of government and Westerners, using the same principle, HM was reduced to Sitar. Imagine that. You need a metallic string frequency emitter, and bunch of brains embedded with Spectrogram to put a check mark on what is heard. Yeah sounds good!!

It has become elevator music. Another popular equivalent would be Ad music in between some youtube concerts.

Hell, we have not been able to reduce it to a Veena sound in our own land or nadasvaram, to which our priests raise their hand rotating fingers to stop their playing.

நம்ப தாய்மார்கள் க்ஷீராப்தி கன்னிகே என்று இவர் பாட்டை கேட்டு நலுங்கில் பாடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார்கள் !! ஏதோ புரந்தரதாசர் செய்த புண்ணியம்!!

And what have we managed to send to World stage? An empty Pot - what with it's metallic sound!!

The meaning of Sruti has been subverted! And the writer Jaya Mohan says Jesudoss is artificial voice, and Maharajapuram is some Authentic carnatic voice. What ignorance?

This is what has become of us. And we have the temerity to criticize Aruna Sairam - yeah she at least does the beats! She reduced layam to beats!

vinodnn

Re:

Post by vinodnn »

MaheshS wrote: 09 Jul 2007, 20:56 I have a recording of Santhanam's concert in the 70's with Chalakudi and Guruvayoor Dorai. His nasal voice is very prominent and probably one of the very few concerts of his where Kiravani [Kaligiyunte] is the main.
I understand that this is a decade old post. But being out of eagerness, I would like to ask if someone can share this concert if available?

MaheshS

Re: Re:

Post by MaheshS »

vinodnn wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 22:46
MaheshS wrote: 09 Jul 2007, 20:56 I have a recording of Santhanam's concert in the 70's with Chalakudi and Guruvayoor Dorai. His nasal voice is very prominent and probably one of the very few concerts of his where Kiravani [Kaligiyunte] is the main.
I understand that this is a decade old post. But being out of eagerness, I would like to ask if someone can share this concert if available?
I can't seem to find it myself :( will have a look in my other hard drives and see. You can also try and search Sangeethapriya to see if someone has uploaded it there.

vinodnn

Re: Re:

Post by vinodnn »

MaheshS wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 01:06
vinodnn wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 22:46
I can't seem to find it myself :( will have a look in my other hard drives and see. You can also try and search Sangeethapriya to see if someone has uploaded it there.
This is not available as of now in sangeethapriya

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Maharajapuram Santhanam - Vocal
Lalgudi Jeyaraman - Violin
Vellore Ramabhadran - Mridangam

Music Academy 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuTTdfy2zow

Mahaganapthim - Nattai [S] - MD
Sitamma Mayamma - Vasantha [NS@dhara nija bhAgavatAgrE sarulevarO vArellaru] - T
Tholi Jenma - Bilahari [AS] - T
Paripalaya - Panthuvarali [NS] - ST
Parthasarathi - Sudha Dhanyasi [AS] - MD
Karunasamudra - Devaghandari - T
Kaligiyunte - Kiravani [A,S@Baguga] - T
Thani
Tunga Theeravijaram - Ragamalika
Ramanama - Mand
Thillana - Dwijavanthii
Kanda Guha Shanmuga
Mangalam

Thanks to Raju Asokan! Listen to his voice in 1978!!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

At the age of 50 in 1978 santhanam in voice weight is still work in progress, hear the keeravani of santhanam academy as posted above by maheshs . Surprising at the age of 50 his voice has not shaped to its best but if you hear his 1983 tour santhanam voice has gone two notches up , hear his tour of US with V Thyagarajan and srimushnam all of a sudden at the age of 55 Santhanam has got a sudden intense gathram- male voice at its best with timbre , voice throw and melody all meeting.

Perhaps till 1978 santhanam was modelliing like GNB sir.I am told that he and trichur ramachandran have sung few combo conccert , if any forumite has access to that combo please share.I am longing to hear Trichur Ramachandran- Maharajapuram Santhanam Combo

Certainly santhanam at 55 years of age onwards from 1983 he focussed on his voice quality and from there on till 1992 just mesemerized till his age of 64 .Such a surprise case study while many vidwans and vidushis lose their voice at 30 to 40 , at the age of 55 from 1983 santhanam gave such weight to his voice.

Hear this seetha kalyana vaibhoghome , assuming this is recorded around 1989 when santhanam sir was 61 or 62 years is my calculated guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vaLDDbLk4

What can one say God is creating lot of mystery with santhanam also paying attention to his voice around the age of 60- santhanam is a case study of how late one can peak up.Santhanam best voice is reserved at the age of 60.

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

MaheshS wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 22:13 Maharajapuram Santhanam - Vocal
Lalgudi Jeyaraman - Violin
Vellore Ramabhadran - Mridangam

Music Academy 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuTTdfy2zow

Mahaganapthim - Nattai [S] - MD
Sitamma Mayamma - Vasantha [NS@dhara nija bhAgavatAgrE sarulevarO vArellaru] - T
Tholi Jenma - Bilahari [AS] - T
Paripalaya - Panthuvarali [NS] - ST
Parthasarathi - Sudha Dhanyasi [AS] - MD
Karunasamudra - Devaghandari - T
Kaligiyunte - Kiravani [A,S@Baguga] - T
Thani
Tunga Theeravijaram - Ragamalika
Ramanama - Mand
Thillana - Dwijavanthii
Kanda Guha Shanmuga
Mangalam

Thanks to Raju Asokan! Listen to his voice in 1978!!!
Music Academy website at least doesn't speak anything about his concert in 1978. After 1977 (MVS-MSG-TVG, not LGJ-VR) , it shows his concert only in 1979.

https://musicacademymadras.in/past-annu ... -1970-1980

His 1980 and 1984 MA concert has TNK on the violin, with some good krithis. If anyone has them, please do share

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vinodnn wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 23:07 Music Academy website at least doesn't speak anything about his concert in 1978. After 1977 (MVS-MSG-TVG, not LGJ-VR) , it shows his concert only in 1979.
vinodnn,
In 1978 academy has published schedules only till Dec 25. Possibly this concert was held some time between dec 26 1978 to Jan 01 1979 .

CRama

Post by CRama »

Located in yt this concert of 1971- Jamshedpur. It is listed as Palghat Mani Iyer in the Mridangam. I am not sure. Somebody please hear and confirm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr5nOS ... DOzr5nOSu2_.

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

CRama wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 12:53 Located in yt this concert of 1971- Jamshedpur. It is listed as Palghat Mani Iyer in the Mridangam. I am not sure. Somebody please hear and confirm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr5nOS ... DOzr5nOSu2_.
Is it PMI or karaikudi mani?

Purist

Post by Purist »

rajeshnat wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 13:40 At the age of 50 in 1978 santhanam in voice weight is still work in progress, hear the keeravani of santhanam academy as posted above by maheshs . Surprising at the age of 50 his voice has not shaped to its best but if you hear his 1983 tour santhanam voice has gone two notches up , hear his tour of US with V Thyagarajan and srimushnam all of a sudden at the age of 55 Santhanam has got a sudden intense gathram- male voice at its best with timbre , voice throw and melody all meeting
What can one say God is creating lot of mystery with santhanam also paying attention to his voice around the age of 60- santhanam is a case study of how late one can peak up.Santhanam best voice is reserved at the age of 60.
The recording posted by Mahesh has drawn quite imaginative conclusions of voice quality by rajeshnat.
In fact the voice differntial here is more to do with the recording speed (rpm 's)[/b]. This recording is at higher rpm(speedier) than normal, that makes the voice more shrill/sharp . In fact I have attended many concerts
of Santhanam during 1975--80 and his voice had very much same gathram as in 80's and 90's. Can hardly
see any mysterical variation as rajeshnat suggests. The noitceable change was inclusion of more
lighter numbers from classically weighty numbers and more frequent attempts of voice modulation. To know what Santhanam's voice was around 1975, one canlisten to Sree Chakraraja and Sarangan records released around that time.
It would be wrong to draw premise based on an incorrect speed of recording.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Purist,
Possibly the 1978 recording with keeravani main may have had recording speed rpm aberration. I just heard significant part of 1971 jamshedpur . I am assuming the recording of 1971 there may not have rpm aberration . If you hear that 1971 santhanam the voice has power but the emote is not that high when compared to what he had from say 1983 onwards . His approach is more brigas then in 1971 for eg his sarangan marugane does not have that emote kuzhaivu and sound bit more nasal and less sharp than what he delivered after 1983 onwards which had immense emote . I think part of the trick has to do with him having a stronger vocal support so more voice rest in course of concert and then when santhanam sang he had a super emote and power sangathi which is more pronounced from 1983 onwards.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Reg, the Keeravani RTP concert, I also had a doubt if the speed has been increased. Now that is confirmed by purist.
I am yet to hear the 1971 concert.

But I hold the view that Santhanam used to sing in 60s and early 70s exactly the way his father Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer used to sing. May be because he was providing vocal accompaniment to his father so far and also had the captive rasikas of MVI whom he wanted to retain. His voice at that time was as Rajesh has mentioned- nasal, a tad faster and exhuberance. In fact I liked that style too. I have got one concert like that where the accompanists are MSG and Karakudi Mani. I think I have spotted that concert correctly. I don’t know whether this concert is there in the you tube. I am giving link for two songs from that concert. Kindly listen to that and give your opinion.
From 80s/late 70s, his style has changed as Rajesh has observed.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/g5hiq0- Sogasuga.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fw9htj- Narasimhamamava.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, you heard significant portion of the 1971 concert. Do you think the Mridanga vidwan is Palghat Mani Iyer.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

CRama wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 22:29 Rajesh, you heard significant portion of the 1971 concert. Do you think the Mridanga vidwan is Palghat Mani Iyer.
Defo not PMI. Vellore Ramabhadran?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 22:29 Rajesh, you heard significant portion of the 1971 concert. Do you think the Mridanga vidwan is Palghat Mani Iyer.
As MaheshS stated definitely he is not Palakkad Mani Iyer. Between Vellore Ramabadran and Karaikkudi Mani that is suggested my hunch is Karaikkudi Mani

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

Purist wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 18:20 The recording posted by Mahesh has drawn quite imaginative conclusions of voice quality by rajeshnat.
In fact the voice differntial here is more to do with the recording speed (rpm 's)[/b]. This recording is at higher rpm(speedier) than normal, that makes the voice more shrill/sharp . In fact I have attended many concerts
of Santhanam during 1975--80 and his voice had very much same gathram as in 80's and 90's. Can hardly
see any mysterical variation as rajeshnat suggests. The noitceable change was inclusion of more
lighter numbers from classically weighty numbers and more frequent attempts of voice modulation. To know what Santhanam's voice was around 1975, one canlisten to Sree Chakraraja and Sarangan records released around that time.
It would be wrong to draw premise based on an incorrect speed of recording.
I won't certainly ignore the comments from a rasika like purist, who got opportunity to listen to the live concerts of santhanam in the 1970-80 period.

But as rajesh said, I listened to one of his late 70 concerts, which is different from the one mentioned by rajesh. I observed the same voice level as rajesh mentioned. His voice level got changed from 1980. There are a number of his concerts during his US tour in 1981 with Thyagarajan and srimushnam raja rao where this transformation becomes evident. Here one can feel a comparatively less nasal tone than his pre-80s. The year 1982 saw a real transformation in his voice. Listen to his famous Krishna Gana Sabha concert with Lalgudi Jayaraman and Vellore Ramabhadran. That voice level stayed almost till 1989.

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

rajeshnat wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:36
As MaheshS stated definitely he is not Palakkad Mani Iyer. Between Vellore Ramabadran and Karaikkudi Mani that is suggested my hunch is Karaikkudi Mani
Had Mani Iyer ever played for santhanam?

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

NY Times article on a concert by the master trio: Santhanam-Lalgudi-Ramabhadran in 1985
https://mobile.nytimes.com/1985/10/01/a ... music.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

What a nugget from the past! Thanks :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vinodnn wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 22:14 NY Times article on a concert by the master trio: Santhanam-Lalgudi-Ramabhadran in 1985
Excellent Vindodnn, I like for a change an extremely thought provoking introduction:
FromNYTimes wrote: featured quartets led by the violinist Lalgudi Jayaraman and by the singer Maharajapuram Santhanam, both of whom trace their styles to disciples of the South Indian composer Thyagaraja (1767-1847).
This must have been the most shruthi sowkhyam quotient with vellore Ramabadran (who never has banged ) and HP Ramachar

I will make an assumption that the son of maharajapuram santhanam must have been ramachandran , will enquire and pass this historic 4 proceeding ,i repeat 4 Hour concert proceedings with just not 4 quartet artists but 6 sextet artists(santhanam, LGJ,Ramachandran (assuming), Krishnan, nAdabhadran and HP Ramachar)

MKR Sir,
I have a strong feeling that MKR Sir may have attended this concert. There is a a possibility that atleast Lalgudi went to this concert from his home.

VKV or CACM Sir,
Are you atleast reading the forum , my gut feel is you must have been the karanakartha for this concert

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

arasi wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 00:48 What a nugget from the past! Thanks :)
The pleasure is mine :)

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

Are there any lecture demonstration concerts of santhanam available?

cacm

Post by cacm »

rajeshnat wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 06:33
vinodnn wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 22:14 NY Times article on a concert by the master trio: Santhanam-Lalgudi-Ramabhadran in 1985
Excellent Vindodnn, I like for a change an extremely thought provoking introduction:
FromNYTimes wrote: featured quartets led by the violinist Lalgudi Jayaraman and by the singer Maharajapuram Santhanam, both of whom trace their styles to disciples of the South Indian composer Thyagaraja (1767-1847).
This must have been the most shruthi sowkhyam quotient with vellore Ramabadran (who never has banged ) and HP Ramachar

I will make an assumption that the son of maharajapuram santhanam must have been ramachandran , will enquire and pass this historic 4 proceeding ,i repeat 4 Hour concert proceedings with just not 4 quartet artists but 6 sextet artists(santhanam, LGJ,Ramachandran (assuming), Krishnan, nAdabhadran and HP Ramachar)

MKR Sir,
I have a strong feeling that MKR Sir may have attended this concert. There is a a possibility that atleast Lalgudi went to this concert from his home.

VKV or CACM Sir,
Are you atleast reading the forum , my gut feel is you must have been the karanakartha for this concert
LGJ KNEW A LOT MORE THAN SANTHANAM (WHOSE LEARNT "KNOWLEDGE" WAS MOSTLY MVI'S TREASURES & HE CONCENTRATED ON THEM) & IN THIS CONCERT LGJ EXHIBITED THEM FREELY. ON THE WHOLE TOUR THOUGH LGJ PLAYED "SECOND FIDDLE" & FOLLOWED KICHULU'S HALF BAKED KNOWLEDGE & INSTRUCTIONS ETC....VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VKV Sir,
Maharajapuram santhanam- V Thyagarajan - Srimushnam Raja Rao toured US in 1981 . There are some recordings available . I know for sure that was the first US tour for raja rao. Not sure if santhanam and thyagarajan travelled before to USA.

This Manhattan Community College's Triplex Theate as mentioned in the aticle is archived as of 1985 . May be Lalgudi -santhanam- VR and team went exclusively once more to US in 1985. Do you recollect what they presented for 4 hours . Were you part of this concert and can you squeeze your memory with bit more details . So nice to see your post after your long hiatus.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 24 Apr 2018, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

vinodnn

Post by vinodnn »

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Maharajapuram Santhanam singing Utsava Sampradaya krithis of Thyagaraja : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4DsTSyA40

These kritis have a special personal flavour, and in the rasa filled voice of Maharajapuram Santhanam, it's just magnificent.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SrinathK wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 18:07 Maharajapuram Santhanam singing Utsava Sampradaya krithis of Thyagaraja : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4DsTSyA40

These kritis have a special personal flavour, and in the rasa filled voice of Maharajapuram Santhanam, it's just magnificent.
This cassette was a rage to me in 90's especially that seetha kalyana vaibhogamE . Have heard atleast 1000 times in my life.Here is another recording of only seetha kalyana (His son maharajapuram ramachandran told me that it is shankarabharanam and not kurinji )with a lovely visual with sadguru and santhanam along with Lord Rama pattabhishekam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vaLDDbLk4

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Srinathk and others,
I took a lot of time to think and post this link a year back.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=237&sid=cc3682e086 ... 00#p325546

Take a viuththam in tamil, slokham in sanskrit or ugabhooga in kannada in the above link.

Hear the canvas of emote and bhaava in any that you choose and hear all three. My plan is to get another better kanda guha shanmuga than the above link which I recorded surrepetiously in late 89 90 in a meltrack casette in rama rao hall@NCA when i was about to finish school. I hope one day and digitize that and give it to you all.

That is even more better kanda guha shanmugha, For now in the above link hear his start especially in brindavana saranga/brindavani and slide to darbAri and finish in hamsAnandi gives me perennial goosebumps.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Maharajapuram Santhanam singing a rare Muttuswami Dikshitar krithi in Simmhendramadhyamam (samdhyuti)
KAmakshi KAmakOti peethavAsini - Sumadhyuti (simmhendramadhyamam) - MD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfEpjpLh1E

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

As have started listening to maharajapuram santanam sirs music, just falling in love with his style of music/bani

rendering varnams -
a brisk way of rendering varnams (both adi and ata) in mostly a madhyamaka speed, where sahithya is heard clearly and listener never gets bored. (as a sadhaka this style requires lot of breathing stability)

repeating sangathis (or) more sangathis in krithis -
and repeating sangathis in krithis for more than 2+ times, gives a very devotional feel and also helps to memorize a krithi quick.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lovely writeup of Maestro Maharajapuram Santhanam by V Sriram from The Hindu dated June 25th,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 952615.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Some thoughts from Rajesh on his 29th death anniversary
--------------------------------------------------
At that time especiallly say from 1985 to 1992, yes for many youngsters like me the attention was in say Srikanth and Kapil Dev, Kamal vs Rajani, SPB, Illayaraja etc ... But this gandharva voice pulled many many uninitiated into CM for sure. What a voice , his post main were simply fantastic. I have once distinctly spoken with santhanam sir directly , it was in 1989 or 1990 dec season. He sang in Rama Rao mantapam (NCA now called CCA)where he sang a thillana in a raga that i recognized as revati. I was not sure if the ragam was revati . I knew his famous bho sambho but on that day he sang this thillana in revati. i did ask him the raga , he said "aamaam paa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hwJw9Vazbo
Santhanam singing his own thillana in revati

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Also I feel Lalgudi jayaraman sir thillana is polished beautifullly by santhanam sir's mellifluous voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTdz1i5Er8E
Thillana sung by Santhanam Sir composed by Lalgudi jayaraman Sir. By any chance can some one confirm if the mrudangam for this dwijavanthi is by Vellore Ramabadran sir.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Tribute by granddaughter Bhuvana Rajaram of her grandfather maestro . Well . Dated July 02nd,2021 from The Hindu
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 079409.ece