Enneramum oru-Thodi-MArimuthu Pillai

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

I need the lyrics of this song in thodi
I would be really glad if someone could tell me the meaning of the same song
The song goes like "Enneramum oru kaalai thookki kondu"

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ennEramum oru. rAgA: tODi. Adi tALA.

P: ennEramum oru kAlait-tUkki noNDikkoNDirukkira vaghai EnayyA ponniah
A: ponnADar pOTrum tollai nannADar Ettum tillaip-ponnambalavANarE innam tAnum UnrAmal
C1: ekkiya nerupp-Avikkatakknn vITTil naDandO yamanai udaitta pOdu evar shuzhak-kELir nondOr
cikkanavE piDittu candranai nilattil tEitta pOdirundu uraindOr vighr cAmuNDiyuDan vAduk-kADi
ugra cAmuNDiyuDan vAdu kadiyasandO uNDa nanjuDambengum purik-kAl vazhi vandO
takka pulippAmbiruvarkkum kUttADi ADa shalittut-tAnO porp-pAdam valittut-tAnO dEvarIr
2: poruT-peNNiDattil sandu pOnattinATru vanDO pollA muyalagan mEl vaitta
pOdinil kali kaNDO arjunanuDan kaTTik-kIzh mElAi vizhunda pOdedirndu
naramburaNDO shira shiTraNNIrEri dEhattil vAtam koNDE shErkkum tOzhan
pOlumak-kErkkamuDan uNDO erudin mEloru kATrArumAi puraNDO
3: malai villil aDi vaittu vaLaik-kamakkaLiTridO vAnOr vaNangum pOdu makuTa
muDigaL paTTO nalamighu kayilai viTTezhunaruLit-tillaiyinaDand-aruvadvaittoTTE
kalakalanennum por-shilambazhundik-kAl valittiTTO kaDiya arakkanpattu muDi
mEluruttinaTTo pala pala vidhattil evvidhattO tillait-tala naTEsarE nIr tAn

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Revanth, the gist for you:

Lord Shiva (NaTarAjA) of cidambaram is addressed in this song. The questions go like this:

Oh Shiva, why do you never land one of your legs (keep it lifted)? Is it because of walking on the hot embers of the burning-ghat, because you kicked yama hard and hurt your foot, because the poison you swallowed traveled to your leg and caused a swelling, because of dancing non-stop to "demonstrate to" patanjali and vyAghrapAda and tiring yourself in the process, ..., ?

I can see a very interesting parallel with yEn paLLi koNDIrayyA by arunAcala kavirAyar....this song deserves a full translation by someone!
Last edited by sridhar_ranga on 15 Apr 2009, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is there a vocal rendition of this song available anywhere?

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

thanks a lot for the lyrics and the meaning...
actually there is an album of Smt.Nithyasree called Tamizh mummanigal and this song is available there
I also think there is a version by Sanjay sir, i am not sure though. In case i come across will post the information

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The question for Siva in cidambaram is this: Why do you stand on your right foot, while you hold your left one aloft (eulogized in the khamAs kriti of Sri Papanasam Sivan 'idadu padam (left foot) tUki')? Sri mArimuttA piLLai asks, do you favor your left foot (and keep it raised) because you hurt it when a) you kicked yama (while protecting mArkaNDEya)?, b) you walked on embers (do not know this story)?, c) the halAhalam you swallowed traveled to your left foot?, OR, is it because you bear your consort in the left half of your body and you are being considerate to her etc. etc. etc.

The counter-point to this is in madurai where the lord, naTarAja, is shown dancing with his left foot planted down (IIRC, it was at the request of the pANDiyan king, pAri), holding up his right foot - described in the kuntalavarALi kriti of ANDavan piccai - 'kAl mAri ADiya kanaka sabhESa, un mEl kAdal koNDEn ayyanE ghana tuyyanE'.

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

rshankar thanks for the meaning
The song seems really interesting

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

rshankar wrote:b) you walked on embers (do not know this story)?
Perhaps Siva is imagined as walking around the crematorium to collect ashes to smear on himself?
cf. sambandar's tEvAram: (tODuDaiya Seviyan ...) kADuDaiya SuDalaippoDi pUsiyen uLLam kavar kaLvan

ksl

Re: Enneramum oru-Thodi-MArimuthu Pillai

Post by ksl »

@rshankar

Can you give a word to word meaning of anupallavi and first charanam please? Thanks!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ksl wrote:Can you give a word to word meaning of anupallavi and first charanam please? Thanks!
As requested...

pallavi
ennEramum oru kAlait-tUkki koND(u)irukkira vagai Ed(u)ayyA ponnaiyAh

Oh lord (ponnaiyAh) [1], what (Eodu) is the reason/cause (vagai) for you to keep/hold (koNDirukkira) one (oru) leg (kAlai) raised (tUkki) at all times (ennEramum)?

anaupallavi
ponnADar pOTRum tollai nannADar Etum tillaip-ponnambalavANarE innam tAnum UnrAmal

Oh lord of the golden (pon) hall/sabhA (ambalavANarE) situated in the ancient (tollai) city of cidambaram (tillai) that is praised (pOTRum) by the Gods (ponnADar) [2], and spoken very highly of (Etum) by the rich/kings (nannADar) [3], (what is the reason for you to hold one leg aloft at all times) without putting it down (UnrAmal) yourself (tAnum) even now (innam)?

caraNam 1
ekkiya nerupp-Avikka takkan vITTil naDandO? yamanai udaitta pOdil edir shuLuk-kEri nondO?
cikkanavE piDittu candiranai nilattil tEytta pOdi(ni)l uraindO?
ugra cAmuNDiyuDan vAdu kAd(u)asaindO? uNDa nanju(u)Dambengum pUrik-kAl vazhi vandO?
takka pulippAmbiruvarkkum kUttADi ADi shalittut-tAnO? porp-pAdam valittut-tAnO? dEvarIr

Is it because you walked (naDandadO) on the built-up (ekkiya) fire (neruppu) to reduce it to just smoke (Avikka) at daksha-prajApati’s (takkan) house (vITTil) [4]? Or is because you were hurting (nondo) because of a sprain (SuLukku) you suffered (Eri) in reaction (edir) at the time (pOdil) when you kicked (udaitta) lord yama (yamanai)? Or is it because the wear (uraindO) your foot suffered when you caught (piDittu) the moon (candiranai) with great economy of movement (cikkanavE), and rubbed (tEytta) him on the ground (nilattil) [5]? Is because it (your foot) got moved/stuck (asaindO) in your ear (kAdu) during your argument (vAdu) with (uDan) the fierce (ugra) cAmuNDi [6]? Or is it because the poison (nanju) that you swallowed (uNDa), after spreading (pUri) all over (ellAm) your body (uDambu), came (vandu) to be concentrated by way (vazhi) of your (left) leg (kAl)? Or is it from exhaustion (Salittut-tAnO) after having danced so appropriately (takka), long and hard (kUttADi ADi), for the benefit of both (iruvarkkum) vyAghrapAda (puli) and patanjali (pAmbu) [7]? Or is it just because your golden (por) feet (pAdam) hurt (valittu-tAnO)? My lord (dEvarIr) (what is the reason for you to hold one leg aloft at all times)?

FOOTNOTES
[1] I think the reason to refer to Siva as ponnaiyAh or the golden one is because his complexion is like burnished gold (ponnAr mEniyan)
[2] and [3] I have translated ponnADar and nannADar contextually – please correct me if I am wrong
[4] ekkiya neruppu – the sacrificial fire that is built up, and this episode in the caraNam refers to Siva's destruction daksha’s yagnya after sati/dAkshAyaNI immolates herself
[5] I am not aware of the story of Siva catching the moon
[6] I think the referrence here is to the fact that Siva raised his foot to reposition his ear-ring during his competition/argument with cAmuNDi – out of feminine modesty, she could not duplicate that move and accepted defeat
[7] patanjali is supposed to be the reincarnation of AdisESa – hence, pAmbu – this episode in the caraNam refers to the fact that Siva performed the AnandatANDavam at the request of patanali and vyAghrapAda – a la “vaDakayilaiyil munnAl mAmunikkaruL SeidapaDi tavarAmal tillaippadiyil vandu tai mAdattil guru pUSattil pagal nErattil”

PS: As an aside: I wanted to hear this sung before making corrections to the lyrics Lji had posted, and I checked out sangeethapriya, and based on the information on the page, I actually made bold to download the subsonic ap for my android phone, configured the ap, and heard Tiruppambaram Sri Shanmugasundaram sing this kRti!!!

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

any audio link

sankark

Post by sankark »

பொருள் (ட்) (porut) பெண்ணிடத்தில் (peNNidaththil) சந்து (sandu) போனத்தினாற்று (pOnattinARRu) வந்தோ (vandhO)
no idea :( it could be something related to lakshmi (poruTpeN) or a story of when money/wealth was given to a lady (poruL peN idathil). Need tamil original text to make sense of sandu pOnattinAtru

பொல்லா (pollA) முயலகன் (muyalagan) மேல் (mEl) வைத்த (vaiththa) போதினில் (pOdhinil) கலி (kali) கண்டோ (kaNdO)
did you get ill when you stood on the rascal muyalagan? - from the tArukAvana episode of defeating the demon muyalagan

அர்ஜுனனுடன் (arjunanudan) கட்டிக்கீழ் (kattikkIzh) மேலாய் (mElAi) விழுந்த (vizhundha) போதெதிர்ந்து (pOdh(u) edhirundhu) நரம்புரண்டோ (naramburaNdO)
did you suffer nerve damage when you bear hugged arjuna and rolled over and fought? - arjuna's penance for pAsupatAstram

சிரசிற்ற (sirasiRRa) அந்நீரேறி (aNNIrERi) தேகத்தில் (dEgaththil) வாதம் (vAtam) கொண்டோ (koNdO)
are you suffering from vAtam because of all the water from the AgAya gangai that landed on your head? - from bhAgirathan's penance and bringing gangai to the earth

சேர்க்கும் (sErkkum) தோழன் (thOzhan) போலுமக்கேர்க்கமுடன் (pOl umakku Erkkamudan) உண்டோ (uNdO)
uNdO can you men did you eat something? or did it happen? no idea what is being alluded to here. Need orignal tamil text for the pOlumarkkErkkamudan. mudam undO? do you have some deficiency? one way to interpret this is "do you suffer from some handicap like the friend that brings together (whom?)"

எருதின் (erudin) மேலொருகால் (mEl orukAl) ஆருமைப் (Arumaip) புரண்டோ (puraNdO)
did some one roll you over on your rishabam (the best sense I can make of this line)

மலை (malai) வில்லில் (villil) அடி (adi) வைத்து (vaiththu) வளைக்க (vaLaikka) மக்கலிற்றிதோ (makkal iRRidhO)
did you suffer when you were stringing the mEru as bow and holding it down with your feet? - from the episode when siva used mEru as the bow to destroy tripuram?

வானோர் (vAnOr) வணங்கும் (vaNangum) போது (pOdhu) மகுட (makuta) முடிகள் (mudigal) பட்டோ (pattO)
because the crowns of all those other demigods/gods hit your feet when they were prostating before you?

நலமிகு (nalamigu) கயிலை (kayilai) விட்டெழுந்தருளி (vittu ezhundhu aruLi) தில்லையில் (thillaiyil) நடந்து (nadandhu) அருளடி (aruLadi) வைத்தோ (vaiththO)
since you stepped out of the good kailAyam and came all the way to thillai and walked around on your feet?

காலகாலனென்னும் (kAlakAlannenum) பொற்சிலம்பழுந்திக் (poR chilambu azhunthik) கால் (kAl) வலித்திட்டோ (valiththittO)
is your feet in pain because the yamA in the form of golden anklets is biting down? - from mArkkandEya episode?

கடிய (kadiya) அரக்கன் (arakkan)) பத்துமுடி (patthu mudi) மேல் (mEl) உறுத்தின(த்)தோ (uRuththinaththO (dhO))
are the ten crowns of the hard demon creating discomfort? - from the episode when siva pressed down on kailAya when rAvana tried to take him along with kailAyam

பலப்பல (palappala) விதத்தில் (vidhaththil) எவ்விதத்தோ (evvidhaththO)
of all the ways, which one(s)?

தில்லைத் (thillaith) தல (thala) நடேசரே (natEsarE) நீர்தான் (nIrthAn)
oh natEsa of thillaith, why do you?

sankark

Post by sankark »

rshankar wrote: 21 Feb 2013, 21:15 [2] and [3] I have translated ponnADar and nannADar contextually – please correct me if I am wrong
ponnADar - pon + nAdar - people of the golden land; figuratively people of a fertile land.
nannADar - nal + nAdar - people of the good land; rich/king is a little bit of a stretch IMO.

Whats the diff between D and d here?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

சிரசிற்றண்ணீரேறி = சிரசில் + தண்ணீர் + ஏறி

sankark

Post by sankark »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 15:39 சிரசிற்றண்ணீரேறி = சிரசில் + தண்ணீர் + ஏறி
Wouldn't it be siraththil (சிரத்தில்) instead of sirasil (சிரசில்)? In which case it can't become சிரசிற்றண்ணீரேறி but சிரத்திற்றண்ணீரேறி

Pratyaksham Bala

'கலகல' என்னும் பொற்சிலம்பு

sankark

Post by sankark »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 04:38 'கலகல' என்னும் பொற்சிலம்பு
Ah. Simple kalakala. I read it as kAla kAla.

Pratyaksham Bala

எருதின் மேல் ஒரு காலாறுமை புரண்டோ ?

காலாறுமை – Taking a leisurely walk to avoid numbness of feet.
புரள் – skip

எருதின் மேல் செல்லும்போது இடையிலே சற்று காலாற நடப்பதைத் தவிர்த்தீரோ ?
While riding on the Rishaba did you skip taking a leisure-walk ?

Pratyaksham Bala

sankark wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 13:29 பொருள் (ட்) (porut) பெண்ணிடத்தில் (peNNidaththil) சந்து (sandu) போனத்தினாற்று (pOnattinARRu) வந்தோ (vandhO)
no idea :( it could be something related to lakshmi (poruTpeN) or a story of when money/wealth was given to a lady (poruL peN idathil). Need tamil original text to make sense of sandu pOnattinAtru
poruT-peNNiDattil sandu pOnattinATru vanDO ?
பொருட் பெண்ணிடத்தில் சந்து போனதினால் துவண்டோ ?

பொருட்பெண் + இடத்தில் + சந்து போனதினால் + துவண்டோ ?
தேவி + உமது இடது பாகத்தில் + இடம் பிடித்ததால் + தளர்ச்சி வந்ததோ ?

குறிப்பு :-
சிவன் ஓர் ஆண்டி என்பதால் தேவியை பொருட்செல்வி என்று குறிப்பிடுகிறார்.
சந்து போதல் = நுழைதல்
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 16 Apr 2018, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

porut peNNiDattil sandhu pOnatinAl tuvanDO
பொருட் பெண்ணிடத்தில் சந்து போனதினால் துவண்டோ
பரவை நாச்சியாரிடத்தில் பல முறை தூது போனதினால் துவண்டு போனதோ
பரவை=திருமகள்=பொருட்பெண்( திருமகள் தமிழ் கையகராதி)
சந்து=conciliation( madras varsity lexicon)
Did your legs get fatigued by the several reconciliatory trips you had to make to Paravai nAtchiyAr
(On behalf of Sundarar )

sankark

Post by sankark »

Ponbhairavi wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 00:33 porut peNNiDattil sandhu pOnatinAl tuvanDO
பொருட் பெண்ணிடத்தில் சந்து போனதினால் துவண்டோ
பரவை நாச்சியாரிடத்தில் பல முறை தூது போனதினால் துவண்டு போனதோ
பரவை=திருமகள்=பொருட்பெண்( திருமகள் தமிழ் கையகராதி)
சந்து=conciliation( madras varsity lexicon)
Did your legs get fatigued by the several reconciliatory trips you had to make to Paravai nAtchiyAr
(On behalf of Sundarar )
Please take a bow sir. போனதினால் துவண்டோ the split is just spot on rather.

thirumagaL to porutpeN - fine. but thirumagaL to paravai - isn't that a tenuous link; IIRC paravai was a pAngi/thOzhi/maid of pArvati.

PB - same for the kAlARumai & puraL, that seems very tenuous.

Pratyaksham Bala

shuzhiyilezhuttaittAn nOvavEnDum !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is it only me, or, are the sentiments expressed in this kRti eerily similar to those in this one by Papanasa/Papavinasa Mudaliyar?

Pratyaksham Bala

sankark wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 20:29
Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 15:39 சிரசிற்றண்ணீரேறி = சிரசில் + தண்ணீர் + ஏறி
Wouldn't it be siraththil (சிரத்தில்) instead of sirasil (சிரசில்)? In which case it can't become சிரசிற்றண்ணீரேறி but சிரத்திற்றண்ணீரேறி
சிரசு = தலை, சென்னி

'சிரசில்' என்பது வழக்கில் உள்ள ஒரு சொல். சில எடுத்துக்காட்டுகள் :-

"அன்னையின் சிரசில் சிவபெருமானின் திருமுகம் பதிக்கப்பட்டிருப்பது வித்தியாசமான அம்சமாகும்."

"இறைவனைப் போன்றே, அம்பிகை தன் சிரசில் கங்கையையும், பிறையையும் சூடிக்கொண்டு, யோக வடிவில் கால்களை ஒன்றன்மேல் ஒன்றாக மடக்கித் தொங்கவிட்ட நிலையில், அமர்ந்த கோலத்தில் உள்ளாள்."

"கௌதுகள் நாயகத்தின் திருப்பாதங்களை முதலில் சிரசில் பெற்ற சீலர் யார் ?"

"இந்நீர்நிலைகளைப் பராமரிப்பவர்களின் பாதங்களை என்சிரசில் வைத்துப் பூஜிக்கிறேன் என்று கல்வெட்டு சாசனம் எழுதியவர் ராஜராஜன்."

"மலையரசி தன் சிரசில் சூடிய கார்முகில் தான் அவளின் கார்குழலோ?"

"விநாயகரை வணங்கும்போது சிரசில் குட்டிக்கொள்வது ஏன்?"

Pratyaksham Bala

‘Sirasil’ in Tamil lexicon :-

சிரசில் தோன்றும் பொடுகு.”

“கடவுள் திருமுன் இடக்கையினின்று ஒழுகவிடும் நீரை மந்திரபூர்வமாய்ச் சிரசில் புரோட்சிக்கை.”

“விக்கிரகத்தின் சிரசில் அணியும் முத்தாலான தலை யணிவகை.”

சிரசில் சென்று தாக்கும் மிகுதியான இரத்தவோட்டம்.”

“உற்சவமூர்த்திக்குச் சிவப்பு அல்லது நீலநிறப் பட்டாடையால் சிரசில் முடிபோல் அமைக்கப்படுங் கொண்டை.“[/i]

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

sankark wrote :please take a bow sir. போனதினால் துவண்டோ the split is just spot on rather.
thanks sankark,rshankar, PB
porutpenn does not denote mahalakshmi . it has to be taken inthe literal sense ie wealthy girl
The title of the thread should be corrected. the author,s name is MARIMUTHA pillai and NOT MarimuthU
Last edited by Ponbhairavi on 17 Apr 2018, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

rshankar wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 18:05 Is it only me, or, are the sentiments expressed in this kRti eerily similar to those in this one by Papanasa/Papavinasa Mudaliyar?
very correct.both the poets lived at the same period, both have chosen to write nindha sthuthi on Shiva . it is quite inevitable that they allude to the same "alleged motives " but the poetic expressions are different and their own. Arunachala kavirayar who also lived more or less at the same period wrote a nindha sthuthi on the reclining lord ri Ranganathar ;"yen Pallikondeer aiya "

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Aren’t those three called the sIrgAzhi mUvar?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ponbhairavi wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 07:46 both have chosen to write nindha sthuthi on Shiva .
Ponbhairavi or Rshankar , I am not 100% sure if I know and understand what Nindha sthuthi, is that purely sivan workship ? Can either of you throw some light on nindha sthuthi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 07:49 Aren’t those three called the sIrgAzhi mUvar?
Muttutandavar, Marimutha Pillai and Arunachala kavirayar are considered seerkazhi mUvars.

Pratyaksham Bala

Ponbhairavi wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 07:13... porutpenn does not denote mahalakshmi ...
சூடாமணி :-

வேசை = பரத்தை, கணிகை, சூளை, பயனிலாள், வரைவின் மாது, பொருட்பெண்டு, விலைமகள்

நாமதீபம் :-

வேசை = பரத்தை, கணிகை, சூளை, வரைவில்லி, பொருட்பெண், விலைமகள்

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Rajesh. Just figured out that Papavinasa Mudaliyar predated them by decades. So, his kRti must have been in vogue before this one - well, imitation is supposed to be the highest form of flattery I suppose...