Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
venu sundar

#1076 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by venu sundar » 08 Jun 2018, 12:27

Madurai Mani Iyer and Kanchi Paramacharya

Kanchi Paramacharya had a special affection for Madurai Mani Iyer. These two incidents are a proof for the above statement.

1. Mani Iyer was a great devotee of Maha Periava who treated Mani Iyer like his own child. Mani Iyer saw Sri Periavaal as Sri Kapaaleswarar, Sri Parameswara himself. Once Mani Iyer was singing in his presence after he had lost his eyesight. While singing he heard someone accompanying him with beautiful rhythm. After completing the song, he wanted t to know from Vembu Iyer as to who was accompanying him with such a beautiful rhythm. Immediately Sri Maha periava intervened and told Mani Iyer that it was he with a peel of orange in his hand like kanjira. "Naan thaan appaa taalam potadhu!", Suddenly Mani Iyer broke down with tears and cried "Appane Kapaaleeswara! parameswaraa! "en" Periavaala thaalam potadhu?" He cried and told "En periavaalai paaka mudiyalaye, enge irukkaa" Periyavaal in his voice filled with kaarunyam replied "ido un pakkathileye irukkenappa" Mani Iyer repeatedly told "Appane Kapaaleswaraaa! Parameswaraa!" and prostrated. Periavaal blessed him with his own benign smile like a mother to her child. (Free translation)
by Baraneetharan, in Anandavikatan. less
0 x

rajeshnat

#1077 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat » 12 Jun 2018, 23:34

Mark your calendar on this sunday,June 17th,2018 at Karpagambal Nagar , Gokhale Sastri (not srinivasa sastri) hall.Supernova -Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Higher with the most observant rasika - laitharam Ramachandran
0 x

venu sundar

#1078 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by venu sundar » 03 Aug 2018, 18:01

Remembering Mani Iyer

The rasikas of Madurai Mani Iyer have organised this month’s MMI listening session on August 5, 4.25 p.m., at P.S. High School, Mylapore. For details call 98413 13527.THE HINDU FRIDAY REVIEW DT 3RD AUGUST 2018
0 x

rajeshnat

#1079 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat » 01 Sep 2018, 08:46

On June 27th,2018 , lalitharam with support of vishnuramprasad ,(i call lalitharam as musical grandson of GNB and VRP is musical grandson of MMI.) did a fantastic Lecdem. Those are chronicled in this thread .

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31433
Check #1 to #4(rajeshnat)posts on attending live lecdem. The above thread is a MMI within MMI. Personally gives me goosebumps when MMI is the topic.
0 x

Essem

#1080 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Essem » 27 Jan 2019, 21:40

Is there no other post after Sept 2018? Or is it continued in any other thread.
0 x

RSR

#1081 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by RSR » 30 Jan 2019, 15:17

Came across this article by Ravikiran on Mani Iyer.
https://www.thehindu.com/features/frida ... 750157.ece
---------------------------
May I know the new songs sung by Sri.MMI in Delhi on that occasion?
0 x

RSR

#1082 Re:

Post by RSR » 30 Jan 2019, 15:31

arasi wrote:
18 Jan 2010, 18:27
VKV and others have related anecdotes about the great vidvAn to us. Here is an interesting piece of work from none other than SubbuDu which I came across. This piece not only adds to the magnanimity of our beloved MMI but also gives a new perspective on the oft-maligned critic as well.
This must have appeared about fifty years ago in the literary tamizh magazine kaNaiyAzhi. Ten years ago, Kalaignan Padippagam published an anthology of prose and poetry selecting them from what appeared in the magazine through several decades.I find no exact dates to go by.
Here is the translation from tamizh:

Madurai Mani Iyer
by
SubbuDu

It was an unforgettable meeting. I had the great privilege of meeting madhura GAna Mani Iyer. It came about as the result of the review that I wrote of his Mumbai concert in Kalki.
"As usual, MMI sang an AlApanA in shaNmukapriya, swung back and forth with his 'U U-s' and ended the concert with the English note", I had written. I had summed it all up in that one line.
This must have happened six or seven years ago.The very next year, MMI came to Delhi to perform. He said to his host that my review struck him as being out of the way. He also expressed his wish to meet me and to know what I meant to say by way of that one-liner.
I was extremely keen on meeting him. Yet, I felt awkward to face and interview the eminent vidwAn who was obviously upset about my pronouncement. If things got out of hand, how was I going to cope with the situation?--my being younger and lacking in my experience in music? I explained this to Sri. Krishnamurthy (the host?) on the phone. On his assuring me that the discussion would be dignified and meaningful, I went to meet MMI at his place.
As I entered, someone was reading The Hindu to MMI. He was keen on following the daily news. My arrival was announced by Vembu Iyer.
"Are you SubbuDu sir?"
"Yes."
"How come you wrote in such detail about other musicians and made such a sweeping statement about me in a single line?"
"There is a lot I want to convey to you. You are a mahA vidvAn, sangIta sAgaram (ocean of music). If you are patient, I will bare my heart to you."
"By all means!"
"To start with, why do you keep singing the same songs over and over again in your concerts?"
"RasikAs love those songs."
"I agree. Yet, if brilliant singers like you do not popularize at least two songs every year, won't the Trinity's songs be forgotten?"
"Do you want me to ignore the rasikAS?"
"Not really. Cater to them three quarters of the time. Can't you allot quarter of the time to the Trinity?
"Do you know, it takes a year or two to popularize a single song?"
"I agree. But, isn't it your responsibility to develop rasanai in your listeners? Out of the four hundred krutis of TyAgarAjA, not even fifty are in vogue."
"Ah, that's what you are saying!"
"I am prepared to listen to you, whatever you have to say about it.To recognize and to propagate them--isn't that a service to music by vidvAns like you?''
"I have in my repertoire countless krutis. But look at the number of request chits that reach the stage even at the beginning of the concert!"
"Have you tried new song lists at any time and have tested it out?"
"The public doesn't give me a chance!"
"Delhi rasikAs are super rasikAs. You won't find MaharAjapuram, GNB or AriyakkuDi fans as such here in Delhi. We are all just music fans. We are nostalgic about our homeland. We are thrilled to hear good CM from any source. We do not get many chances to hear music in this far away place. Based on all this, why don't you try your experiment here? If I am wrong, I will take back my word and apologize no end..."
"What, VEmbu? This evening, we will sing all new uruppaDis (items). These reviewers perhaps think that we don't know that many krutis!"
That evening, not a single 'rubber stamp' kruti was sung.TyAgaiyyA, DIkshitar, SyAMa Sastry and Sivan danced in glee on that stage. The Statesman the next morning did not contain a review but a dedication. On reading it, MMI sent a congratulatory letter to the editor and he in turn sent it to me.
I treasure it as a priceless possession of mine.
I felt compelled to share this with you folks! Thanks again to KaNaiyAzhi Trust and Kalaignan Padippagam.
=======================================
Can Arasi Madam, help by getting the new songs rendered by Sri.MMI on that occasion?
0 x

RSR

#1083 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by RSR » 06 Feb 2019, 19:58

I went through all the posts but do not remember to have come across this great biography sketch of Madurai Mani Iyer.
https://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org/biography.html
------------------------------------------
If I had missed it, my apologies.
It is wonderfully written.
0 x

RSR

#1084 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by RSR » 22 Feb 2019, 13:16

Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934
https://youtu.be/Yl-3TMLFkC0

raju asokan upload
Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934- accompanied by Kumbakonam T.K.Jayarama Iyer-violin, Tanjore Vaidhyanatha Iyer-mridhangam & Madras Venu Naicker-kanjeera.
Sri Raghukula-Hamsadhwani,
Anuragamule- Saraswathi
Vidajalatura- Janaranjani
Marugelara-Jayanthashree
RTP_ Kalyani_Bhajare Raghuveeram
Ethani Vithangal- Virutham-Ragamaligai
( Kedaragowla, Bhairavi, Dhanyasi,Mohanam,Paras,)
Javali
Madarpirai Kanni-Thevaram-Arabhi
Thirupugaz- NIraimathi Mugam- Hamsanandhi
& Mangalam
=============================================
(my note)
Mani Iyer was born in 1912. This kutchery record was given when he was just 22.
A sample of what Mani Iyer music was in his younger years.
====================================================
0 x

RSR

#1085 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by RSR » 22 Feb 2019, 13:17

INTHA SOWKYAMU
KAAPI
MADURAI MANI IYER
https://youtu.be/4vV4D9CXLe0
0 x

SrinathK

#1086 Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by SrinathK » 22 Feb 2019, 14:23

Rare AIR Interview of MMI (in Tamil, maybe someone can translate it for non-tamil readers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEFlEY0MVA
0 x