K Gayathri - Sydney Music Festival - June 10

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
HarishankarK

K Gayathri - Sydney Music Festival - June 10

Post by HarishankarK »

Hi
I heard this was a wonderful concert by K Gayathri and she present Simhanandana tillanna as well - sadly I couldn't attend

Anyone who attended please post songlist

Thank you

MV

Re: K Gayathri - Sydney Music Festival - June 10

Post by MV »

I didn't write down a list. The Thillana was ofcourse splendid but the RTP in Kharaharapriya in Tisra Jathi Ata thalam by all 3 artistes was very noteworthy followed by a Tiruppugazh in Avadhana Thalam.

The RTP, 1st laghu was in Mishram, 2nd laghu in Khandam and the drutham in Tisram. And not one of the 3 missed a stride. Well maybe 1 or 2, but still astounding. Earlier she sang a lovely Syama Shastri kriti in Varali as well.

I have heard Gayatri a few times. I feel all the tricks in the book come so effortlessly to her that she kind of takes it for granted. I would like to see more heart in her singing. Great talent for the future.

devan

Post by devan »

You can call her gimmicks Gayathri. Full of unwanted hand movements. MA's blue eyed female.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

There is a recent trend to down play the young Musicians who are on performing stage.There is no doubt about further scope for improvement in each case.Constructive criticism is fine.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Looks like she has made it to the top :D A good indication is when the anonymous low lifes come out of the woodwork & start taking pot shots.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

devan wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 17:39 You can call her gimmicks Gayathri. Full of unwanted hand movements. MA's blue eyed female.
Even I had this opinion of her mainly because of the loudness in the higher octaves but I have been listening to her youtube concerts and now I feel she is really good and one of the few young artistes who adheres to paddhati and sings pure carnatic style music. Her rich laya skills alone set her apart.
She sings Smt Suguna Purushottaman's compositions in a brilliant manner. Really worthy disciple.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Yes. Gave a splendid memorable performance for the Ramaswamy Sivan/Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan day held recently held at Arkay Convention center, including singing 2 chakras from the Mela ragamalika. Check it out on youtube. Will echo Harishankar and say, "Really worthy disciple"!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Even I had this opinion of her mainly because of the loudness in the higher octaves
She has a strong voice, and the wrong hand on the soundboard can make the higher notes feel a bit shrill. That is the fault of the sound guy, not her voice, which is excellent, well trained and discipled. If anyone else has this experience, I recommend, to be fair to her and listen to her in a different venue. It's worth it!

But gimmicks? I don't even recognise that. So far off the mark, I even suspect mistaken identity! She is one of the serious heavyweights of the present day. Super, serious, and beautiful music.

(And I am not biased: she is not RV school! ;)... although I was fond of her guru too)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

No gimmicks

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

She has a proclivity for elaborate intricate korvais & her performances at the major venues may emphasize her strength in laya. The laya challenged could be lumping this into "gimmicks".

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

True. She does proclive that way.

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Nick,

Was that just me or did you just make up a new word?

MV

Post by MV »

I wanted to add the names of the 3 artistes:

Vocal - Gayatri Kamakoti
Violin - L Ramakrishnan
Mridangam - Sai Giridhar

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 05:47 Nick,

Was that just me or did you just make up a new word?
I just made up a new word. It's rather ugly: I hope it doesn't catch on! :lol:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Check out how well she presents the song here:

https://youtu.be/2euXEQwBF2Y?t=5241

sankark

Post by sankark »

MV wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 01:14 I would like to see more heart in her singing. Great talent for the future.
FWIW, I second that. I think she is technically at the top; but I always am left to wonder what could have been with a little more heart.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

sureshvv wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 10:10 Yes. Gave a splendid memorable performance for the Ramaswamy Sivan/Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan day held recently held at Arkay Convention center, including singing 2 chakras from the Mela ragamalika. Check it out on youtube. Will echo Harishankar and say, "Really worthy disciple"!
Of course that was a splendid recital starting with a rare varnam in Kamboji. It was heartening to see L Ramakrishnan (Violin) too following it closely. Gayathri did full justice to the thematic event and you must have seen how happy the family members of Sivan lineage were to listen to the authentic rendering of the uruppadis.

The recorded powerpoint presentation with narration by Va Ve Su (before the concert) on Ramaswamy Sivan/Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan was impressive.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sankark wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 16:13 FWIW, I second that. I think she is technically at the top; but I always am left to wonder what could have been with a little more heart.
This "heart" thing is primarily in the court of the rasika. Of course some grey hairs help ;)

MV

Post by MV »

sureshvv wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 12:45 This "heart" thing is primarily in the court of the rasika. Of course some grey hairs help ;)
I agree, it is one rasika's view. I also thought, a few more years and that feel will happen. :D

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

This heart discussion is important

I found much heart in this Madrasana video 🙂 (please click to watch)

Largely, I would say heart is a resonance of softer emotions that happens to a sensitive listener given the mood of the song, ambiance, and the demeanour of the singer.

I was watching a wonderful interview of Hitchcock wherein he explains how the audience's emotions are manipulated by simple cinematic tricks with almost no involvement of the actor!

As far as this highly talented lady is concerned, I hope she takes this discussion on board in a positive spirit. That's all that's required at this stage according to me.

The precise reason why I say these are the best times for Carnatic music is singers like Vid Gayathri Kamakoti.