Ra-Ga sisters - Sydney June 11th

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
HarishankarK

Ra-Ga sisters - Sydney June 11th

Post by HarishankarK »

Ranjani Gayathri
Ramakrishnan - violin
Mridangam - can't remember the name but he played really well

Smarane Onde - Malayamarutham - PD - crisp few swara avarthanas - very nice one - perfect start - they stressed on the correct words and gave good effect
Pantuvarali alap - Pannirukann something - tiru arutpa - tunes by Sri PSN - was just okay - senn thamizh stuff so couldn't get it - was in medium to fast pace - then there was a nearval at ni ye en thaaye something and swaras- I felt they could have picked a better song in Pantuvarali - there are plenty - Vadera Daivamu for instance
Mohanam main - Evarura Ninnu - alapana was good - but kriti was not so good - they were referring to notes/books for the words of the kriti - at one point they forgot very briefly but made it up - I felt they were not prepared enough to sing this - NO NERAVAL - OVERDOSE swaras - Ranjani by mistake brought in a sudden Da swara of Boopalam during alap - but v swiftly corrected it.
Vara RAGA laya - chenchukamboji - filler - breakneck speed - poor thyagarajar
Ragam Kapi - RTP - My first wish was why didn;'t they choose a better raga
Alap was good but after a time got boring and I think I heard some Brindavana Saranga phrases too (Ranjani again) - maybe it was just me and Tanam was good and shared between the three artistes
Kanna Vaa Mani vanna vaa - ennai kaathida - something was pallavi line
Swaras
Kapi
Griha bedam swaras between Gambheera Nattai and Hamsanadam - Gayatri announced it - G.Nattai was there but I couldn't hear Hamsadnadam at all - I think she struggled with this as well
one of two more ragas cannot remember - but swara portion was ordinary only
Petra thaai thanai vrittam - ragamalika - hamsanandi was there and 2 other ragas - Tamil song on Lord Siva not in Hamsanandi
Vithoba chala mandira sa - Marubehag??? - Namadev - Abhang - they sang this well

Overall a good concert

rajeshnat

Re: Ra-Ga sisters - Sydney June 11th

Post by rajeshnat »

Harishankark
It looks this festival of sydney is one of a kind in terms of having maximum content withiin 3 days. Great line up of artists about 9 or 10 main vocalist/instrumentalists and then two or three mrudhangam , violinist as accompanist are picked up.

May i know how many footfalls are there in these festivals . Where is it held is that a very popular hall or a big outdoor event? How is food served??

MV
Looks you are having a feast from NZ to Aus. Looks like these 2 weeks in June is the best for Aus and Nz

Kudos to the organizers in pulling max density content , other cities especially US cities like Sanjose , NJ/NY , Dallas and Los Angeles can take a leaf out of Sydney.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Hi rajeshnat
Facts around the Syd music festival - 3 days
Conducted by Swaralaya
Always happens on 9th, 10th and 11th June - 11th June is Queens birthday -long weekend here in NSW, Sydney

average around 300 -400 people attend it per day- I went only yesterday (last day) and 300 ppl were there for Ranjani Gayathri (ground level hall was fully occupied)
It always happens at a indoor hall - Riverside Parramatta Theatre in Parramatta Sydney - venue is great and acoustics also v good
Food - south indian food including tea coffee and sweets are available in stalls just like in Chennai - but food quality/taste is much better in Chennai - not to take away any credit from the organisers / volunteers because they are doing their best to provide good food here and in between the concerts we have only around 30 mins time to line up in the queues and get the tokens and then get the food and eat up and go back - so it's really great that we have food options

best part is that - there are a lot of families in Sydney who volunteer to make this even a success - like bringing the artistes from the airport and having them as guests in their homes for a couple of days, taking them out to sigh see, prepare food for the three days during the events, volunteer to sell the tickets etc., volunteer during the event especially at the food stalls etc etc

Its a similar line up like music academy full day sessions - here they feature 4 artistes in a day from 10 am to 9:30pm or even later as in the case of Sanjay and y'day TVS mama etc - they sing till 10pm etc

More info u can get from the below link
https://swara-laya.com.au/swara-laya-fi ... ty-sydney/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

HarishankarK wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 07:12 Hi rajeshnat
Facts around the Syd music festival - 3 days
Conducted by Swaralaya
Always happens on 9th, 10th and 11th June - 11th June is Queens birthday -long weekend here in NSW, Sydney
It always happens at a indoor hall - Riverside Parramatta Theatre in Parramatta Sydney - venue is great and acoustics also v good
Its a similar line up like music academy full day sessions - here they feature 4 artistes in a day from 10 am to 9:30pm or even later as in the case of Sanjay and y'day TVS mama etc - they sing till 10pm etc

More info u can get from the below link
https://swara-laya.com.au/swara-laya-fi ... ty-sydney/

Sydney Music Festival y Swaralaya is truly rocking just like true australian cricket of 1985 to 2005.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.In Parthasarathy sabha , MFAC and NGS the morning concert is just given 2 hours . In MA one morning , and two evening concerts are given 2 and half hours ,the intermediate afternoon and evening is given just 90 and 120 mts. Academy is very fair and exactly given 2 and half hours.

2. Sydney give 4 slots a day , I just looked at the link . K gayathri starts at 10 and ends at 12 30 . You have 30 mins break , then you have 3 lined up. The brochure states that it is starting from 1 pm onwards to 9:30pm/10pm. Each of them sing for 2 and half and possibly the last artist being nirvana slot go upto 3 hours or bit more too.

3. In my opinion being fair and giving nearly same time to all artists is absolutely a great service that the organizers are doing . How many morning and afternoon 2 hour concerts gets short charged in chennai due to censor of time. At times since the next ticketed concert has to have more footfalls they will ask the non nirvana concerts to be wrapped quicker.

4. I only hope folks like Harishankark and Mohan Ayyar donot get into the mindset -Hey in sydney we have 11 to 12 concerts in 3 days, why should we go to chennai december margazhi festival OR may be because of Sydney many in AUS/NZ get into more appetite mode which is a better thing for them to listen more and more concerts through out the year .

All said swaralaya-Sydney is a dream organization in giving great and packed content with focus on being fair - kudos to Swaralaya. The Sydney Carnatic SCG is setting an example for the rest of the world sabhas and organizers.

Just 2 questions for harishankark-MV-Mohan
----------------------------------------------------------
1.What could be the maximum capacity of Parramatta theatre - indoor hall?

2.When MV posted that a week before I just googled to see that there was a Monday national holiday in NZ called QUEENS Birthday . A week later another QUEENS brithday in Australia . Is that the same queen on two different weeks , strange , could that be one being english birthday and another being nakshatra birthday?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Riverside Theatre is a traditional proscenium arch, 760 seat theatre venue with stalls, circle and gallery levels.

SEATING CAPACITY
Stalls without stage extension - 534 seats
Stalls with A&B row removed - 500 seats
Stalls with both auditorium stairs installed 528 seats
Dress Circle - 114 seats
Gallery - 113 seats
TOTAL - 761 seats

for more infor look up - https://riversideparramatta.com.au/venu ... e-theatre/

It is indeed the same Queen whose birthday is being celebrated
Quoting from wiki
"
In New Zealand, the holiday is the first Monday in June. Celebrations are mainly official, including the Queen's Birthday Honours list and military ceremonies.
Australian states and territories observe the Queen's Birthday on the second Monday in June, except in Western Australia and Queensland. As Western Australia celebrates Western Australia Day (formerly known as Foundation Day) on the first Monday in June, the Governor of Western Australia each year proclaims the day on which the state will observe the Queen's Birthday, based on school terms and the Perth Royal Show.[2] There is no firm rule to determine this date, though it is usually the last Monday of September or the first Monday of October.
"
Not because of English versus nakshathra b'day

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

based on the actual seat numbers I have looked up now I think RaGa sisters were attended to by at least 450-500 people - because the main hall was full and few people were also in the upper gallery

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Harishankark
While googling just found now that Queens Birthday is like US Memorial Day it is kept on a monday and keeps bit changing. I liked the flexibility of having a dynamic birthday spread over 2 distinct weekends for Aus and NZ, possibly helping fine arts too . Atleast for the sake of carnatic music and folks like MV they taste music in both NZ and Aus.

If I have money may be go to NZ attend a NZCMS concert in auckland/hamilton(those 2 places are truly rocking) go around NZ and then go around Aus and then attend Sydney Music Festival .Certainly a great choice for tourism where we can tour places in Aus and NZ sandwiched between CM concerts in Auckland and Sydney. I have personally never been to down under. Thanks for your additional info and also Queens birthday. I guess if some one is born in say Jan 01st that person can also have birthday celebrations after 364 days on Dec 31st.

Thanks for your information about the venue and best wishes for you to get big and soon move to Sydney Opera theatre.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

rajeshnat wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 12:43 Harishankark
guess if some one is born in say Jan 01st that person can also have birthday celebrations after 364 days on Dec 31st.
Yes, you are correct. Never thought of this.

[/quote]
Thanks for your information about the venue and best wishes for you to get big and soon move to Sydney Opera theatre.
[/quote]
So good of u for the wishes

mohan

Post by mohan »

Rajesh - I haven't attended the last few years as have lost the patience to sit through so many concerts in one day. The three day break is a good time to spend with family !

mohan

Post by mohan »

HarishankarK wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 12:20
Queen's Birthday is celebrated in June because King George V's birthday was in June and the public holiday has stuck since those days! Same happens in UK! The Queen's actual birthday is on 26 April!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

mohan wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 14:41
HarishankarK wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 12:20
Queen's Birthday is celebrated in June because King George V's birthday was in June and the public holiday has stuck since those days! Same happens in UK! The Queen's actual birthday is on 26 April!
Yes, Her Maj does get two birthdays, one real and one "official" in June. We don't get a holiday for that in the UK though :)

And it's 21st Apr, not 26th - Queen's Birthday

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Don't mind if we get two holidays - one actual date and one observed date 😃