TN Seshagopalan@BVB on June 12th,2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

TN Seshagopalan@BVB on June 12th,2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Madurai TN Seshagopalan@BVB on June 12th,2018
--------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : TN Seshagopalan
Partial vocal support Fed to microphone: TNS Krishna and Madurai Sundar
Partial vocal support Not Fed to microphone: Kalyanapuram Aravind
Violin : R Raghul
Mrudangam : Neyveli Venkatesh
Tambura : Vaidyanathan

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Tuesday/ 2 hours and 30 mins
Concert Type : Free concert
Temple/Hall : BVB Main
Occasion : Honouring Carnatic Legends as part of BVB 60th diamond jublee celebrations

1. vanajAkshi varnam
2. chalamelara saketharama - marghahindOlam -T
3A. shurutti alapana for 6 mins with 2 mins violin return
3B. slokham - dharani garba samboootha... mangalam pranamAmyaham -shurutti- ???(some one help me with the slokham composer)
3C. angarakam (R ,slokham ,N S) - shuruTTi - MD
2 mins neraval in dheena rakshakam vaidhyanatha kshetram
6 mins swaras

4. kanakanga sukha guhA - kanakangi - Koteeswara iyer

5A. varali alapana for 2 mins
5B. viruththam - padikinrilai... pazhani thirunAmam - shuruTTi - varAli - ??? (some one help me with the viruththam composer)
5C. kAvAvA (R,viruthham , S) - varAli - PSivan

6. Manasa guruguha - Anandabhairavi - MD
7. samayamidhE nannu brochutaku - budhamanohari -hmb

8A. RTP in dhenuka for 30 mins
alapana for 15 mins and violin alapana return for 5 mins taanam for 5 mins , rest neraval and swaras
pallavi iine karthikeya karunAkarA , kAmadheNu kAvA
8B.tani for 5 mins

9A. viruthham unnai ozhiya oruvaiyArum ??? - kedaragowlai+
panniru kai kOla -Saveri +
anjumugham thONdri - madhyamavati??? +
veL thOnrum - revati +
orukAlinaithu iru kAlum thONrum - ???? +
muruga endru Oduvar - hamsAnandi? +
engE ninaipinum - niroshtha??? - some one can help with the viruththam composer

9B. thillana ... tadari dhirana ..KandA nintAl enakku aRul - niroshtha - TN Seshagopalan
10. pavamana + shreevenkata nivasAya

A bunch of great vidwans and vidushis who are veterans are honored by BVB as part of their 60th year celebrations. It was nice to get an opportunity to hear mahavidwan TNS after atleast 3 or 4 years gap .Just a cursory look in the forum it appears that there has not been any reviews of TNS in the last 3 years . TNS was supported minimally by TNS krishna and very minimally by Madurai Sundar with the microphone . It was almost a TNS concert for most part. TNS was accompanied by 2 great musicians ,one was Neyveli Venkatesh who is half generation behind TNS.Another almost the next generation vidwan R Raghul.

TNS voice was not in best shape and at times the abrasiveness was beyond a tipping point and not that conducive to ears.In CM concerts voice may be a primary vehicle but the intense ideas within the realm of 'disciplined onspot classical creativity' may appear as secondary vehicle . But as the concert progresses , i felt this secondary vehicle appears more and more primary. In short the tussle of Disciplined Onspot classical Creativity vs Voice , it is just a choice that you as a rasika has to make for most time .

Few special highlights that kept me engaged
-------------------------------------------
1. I am always floored by approach of usually TNS and TVS of that era . They pack quite frequently especially TNS with slokhams and viruththams after an alapana prior to the start of the krithi. TNS sang a nice slokham in shurutti and added a lovely viruththam prior to KA vA vA ,i am not sure of the composer or authorship of both but it was very intensely engaging to get his encyclopediac vidwat

2. The ragamaliga viruththam with a splendid range of words and raga changes excites me. The signal ratio of rAga was not that great but still i loved his sudden burst of intense ragabhAvam in spots with his onspot manodharmam . There was one line vimmi vimmi in thamizh(I forget now as to whether it came in ragamaliga viruththam post main or one before that) .When that phrase vimmi vimmicame up TNS really did some thing musically so great where he sang with such quick repetition , in the sense he really gets the lyrical meaning of viruththam much much deeeper and from there he goes aestheticaly to richer classical music.

3.RTP is always welcome for me in any concert . I am a rasika who likes a RTP even if the concert is 2 hours . I had a faint recollection as dhenuka was on .Thru forum where I realized then that vidwans Chitra Ravikiran and Sanjay Subrahmanyan have sung RTP in dhenuka . FOr me this raga dhenuka especially the alapana dhenuka was showcased by the supernova TRS and then few years back when the lovely hyderabad brothers sang it . I had downloaded a pantula rama dhenuka RTP where she gave a great presentation. All said dhenuka is quite a Work in Progress raga for many vidwans and vidushis to expand without much repetition. Will this dhenuka settle as its cousin with so many non repetitive expansive sangathis or will that go in a direction of say a poorvikalyani with bit more circular anchor pegs here and there. I have no clue of how dhenuka will shape in the next 50 to 100 years . The flavour of dhenuka has a folkish touch , a flavour that at times overlaps with sindhu bhairavi and perhaps the third flavour of magudi like sangathis . This raga certainly will mature more and more for sure but for me this raga every phrase has right now many ending phrases towards the flagship krithi teliyaleru rama bhakthi margamulu?? . TNS did not bring that much of magudi or folkish effect but definitely showed his class to bring more little more polish with more pointed brigas in alapana. Taanam could have beeen expansive but he slightly disappointed me there . THe pallavi line had a clear couple of raga ankita in the phrase kamadhenu kA vA, that showed his classical stature.Voice was not gelling well at many places in RTP but the override of ideas with his disciplined on-spot creativity was great

Neyveli Venkatesh continues to demonstrate to be a top draw in terms of having a fastest finger .He brings a certain cushion , i love sarvalaghu and he continues to be anchored very steadily only there. The best artist for the whole concert was unquestionably R Raghul , he was bringing such pointed accuracy to each of the raga from the little abrasive and rough varAli , the work in progress sangathis in dhenuka and real clean carnatic shurutti . He is getting proportion sense perfectly and he was a real champ. Certainly both venkatesh and Raghul gave their best to bring the legacy of their Gurus TK Murthy and M Chandarsekaran respectively.

I would have loved if TNS gave bit more air time during rotation to his son TNS Krishna. But it was mahavidwans choice to exercise and demonstrate that he can move on with his unrestrained imagination propelled by his encyclopedic vidwat. I came 15 to 20 mins behind schedule and entered with kalyani varnam . I Would like to know from any one if there was a speech or some presentation that happened prior to the concert.

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours and 30 minutes

MaheshS

Re: TN Seshagopalan@BVB on June 12th,2018

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 18:48 3B. slokham - dharani garba samboootha... mangalam pranamAmyaham -shurutti- ???(some one help me with the slokham composer)
The whole set of Navagraha slokams were composed by Sage Veda Vyasar.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

rajeshnat wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 18:485B. viruththam - padikinrilai... pazhani thirunAmam - shuruTTi - varAli - ??? (some one help me with the viruththam composer
kandar alankAram
aruNagirinAtar

paDikkinRilai pazhanit tirunAmam paDippAr tAL
mDikkinRilai murugA enkilai mushiyAmal iTTu
miDikkinRilai paramAnandam mERkoLa vimmi vimmi
naDikkinRilai nenjamE tanjam Edu namakku iniyE

கந்தர் அலங்காரம்
அருணகிரிநாதர்

படிக்கின்றிலை பழநித் திருநாமம், படிப்பார் தாள்
முடிக்கின்றிலை, முருகா என்கிலை, முசியாமல் இட்டு
மிடிக்கின்றிலை, பரமானந்தம் மேற்கொள விம்மிவிம்மி
நடிக்கின்றிலை, நெஞ்சமே தஞ்சம் ஏது நமக்கு இனியே?

Pratyaksham Bala

rajeshnat wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 18:489A. viruthham unnai ozhiya oruvaiyArum ??? - kedaragowlai+
panniru kai kOla -Saveri +
anjumugham thONdri - madhyamavati??? +
veL thOnrum - revati +
orukAlinaithu iru kAlum thONrum - ???? +
muruga endru Oduvar - hamsAnandi? +
engE ninaipinum - niroshtha??? - some one can help with the viruththam composer.
tirumurugATRuppaDai
nakkIrar

unnai ozhiya oruvaraiyum nambukilEn
pinnai oruvarai yAn pin shellEn – pannirukaik
kOlappA vAnOr koDiya vinai tIrttaruLum
vElappA shendil vAzhvE

anjumugam tOnRin ARumugam tOnRum
vencamaril anjal en vEl tOnRum – nenjil
orukAl ninaikkin irukAlum tOnRum
murugA enRu OduvAr mun

திருமுருகாற்றுப்படை
நக்கீரர்

உன்னை ஒழிய ஒருவரையும் நம்புகிலேன்
பின்னை ஒருவரையான் பின்செல்லேன் - பன்னிருகைக்
கோலப்பா வானோர் கொடியவினை தீர்த்தருளும்
வேலப்பா செந்தில் வாழ்வே

அஞ்சுமுகம் தோன்றின் ஆறுமுகம் தோன்றும்
வெஞ்சமரில் அஞ்சல் எனவேல் தோன்றும் - நெஞ்சில்
ஒருகால் நினைக்கின் இருகாலும் தோன்றும்
முருகா என்று ஓதுவார் முன்

Pratyaksham Bala

MaheshS wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 19:02
rajeshnat wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 18:48 3B. slokham - dharani garba samboootha... mangalam pranamAmyaham -shurutti- ???(some one help me with the slokham composer)
Thanks, MaheshS.

navagraha stOtram
shrI vEda vyAsa

dharaNIgarbha sambhUtam vidyutkAnti samaprabham
kumAram shaktihastam tam mangalam praNAmyaham

नवग्रह स्तोत्रं
श्री वेद व्यास

धरणीगर्भ संभूतं विद्युत्कांति समप्रभम् |
कुमारं शक्तिहस्तं तं मंगलं प्रणाम्यहम् ||

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 20:29
navagraha stOtram
shrI vEda vyAsa

Thank you MaheshS and PB, i did not even know that Sage Veda vyasar was the author of navagraha slokhams. I am glad vedavyasar thru our forum has moved from mahabharata to navagraha slokham. :D. The musical pandavas - TNS,TNS Krishna , Madurai Sundar , Neyveli Venkatesh and Raghul have actually won :D :lol:

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks for your review Rajesh. Myself and Sivaramakrishnan attended the concert But we left after Manasaguruguha. Did nt hear the RTP. Myself attending a TNS concert after four years. Earlier also he had sung RTP in Denuka- some eight years back. I dont remember whether I have got that concert.
The concert started slightly late. There was no speech before Kalyani varnam.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Navagraha slokams. There are many prerecorded casettes of Navagraha kritis- by Dr.SR, Bombay Sisters, MBK, V.Ramachandran, R.Vedavalli etc. and every body has sung the respective slokam before the song. TNS invariably sings the respective slokam before the Navagraha kriti.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 21:55
Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 20:29

navagraha stOtram
shrI vEda vyAsa

i did not even know that Sage Veda vyasar was the author of navagraha slokhams. I am glad vedavyasar thru our forum has moved from mahabharata to navagraha slokham. :D.
He's stayed the same, it's the forum & us that's moved on, like Ariyakudi once mentioned, it's us who have learnt not the other way :D

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

In the recording Navagraha kritis by Dr S Ramanathan released years ago, the respective Vedamantra of the graha is recited before each kriti by the Vidwan himself. Eg. आसत्येन रजसा (सूर्य), शन्नोदेवीरभिष्टये (शनैश्चर) etc. This is a big asset for devotees and rasikas.