neelambari varnam - senthil mevvum

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
krishnaa

neelambari varnam - senthil mevvum

Post by krishnaa »

i remember the above varnam being discussed but i cannot get it inspite of several search trials - i guess due to the spelling. can someone please give me the link...
thanks in adv...

krishnaa

Re: neelambari varnam - senthil mevvum

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks alot ravi!
will you please give me a running meaning for the varnam. if you want, you can surely go ahead with details!!! :)
i just need it in short for now... so please give it a go....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Krishna, will do it this evening! I just listened to this varNam while driving yesterday...

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thank you Ravi! waiting for your response.... :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Krishnaa - here you go - for the quick and dirty running meaning...I will post the detailed version when I get some more time:

pallavi: Oh murugA who resides in tiruccendUr, taking pity on me, please come to me and admit me to your graces.

anupallavi: At no time have I entertained anything but thoughts of you. Aren't you aware of this? Then, why are you toying/playing with me?

ciTTasvarasAhityam: Is this behavior of yours appropriate? Morally correct? I wonder why you seem to have taken a vow to not come to me. If you do not appear before me, I am not sure of what I am to do. I know no other succor. Oh nephew of vishNu, please come to the aid of this young maiden who is unaware of how to forget you even for a moment, by showering your compassion on her with a smile on your face.

caraNam:
Oh handsome one, please come to me astride your dancing peacock.

caraNasvarasAhityam 1: Please appear before me, so that I can behold the beauty of your form

caranasvarasAhityam 2: Is it possible that even now you have not heard my requests? Have they fallen on deaf ears? Or, is it possible that you have decided not to come to me?

caranasvarasAhityam 3: In order for my pain to go away, I have looked for you very eagerly everywhere, forgoing food and sleep, and in the process, becoming weary-eyed, and tired.

caraNasvarasAhityam 4: Oh precious gem from tiruttaNi, my darling, my companion for life, have you forgotten the amazing time when you united with me one day in the past and had promised to never forsake me, not even for a day? Can such a lofty love and relationship disappear? I can't take this anymore.

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks alot Ravi!!!!

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

can someone please tell me the composer of this varnam.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Krishnaa I think it is Madurai Sri R. Muralidaran (the man is so prolific, it's mind boggling)...

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

This varnam is a composition of Si Lalgudi Jayaraman.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ambika - thanks for the correction...

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks!!! :)

Asha Adiga

Post by Asha Adiga »

Can some one please pass word to word meaning of this varna as I needed for dance.

cendil nagar (padavarNa). rAgA: nIlAmbari. Adi tALA.

P: cendil nagar mEvum dEvA shivabAlA nI cintai irangi ennai Ala vA vElavA vA
A: enda vELaiyum unnai anri vErOe eNNamuNDO endan uLLam nI ariyAyO En inda mAyam
(ciTTasavara)
sa pa ma ga mA , sa ni pa ma ga mA , sa sA* ni pa ma ga ma ri ga ri pA mA ;
pa sA sa pa pa sa* ri* ga* sA* ga* sa* ga* sa* nI dha ni sa* dha ni sa* ri* sa* ni pA ;
ga ma pa ni dhA ni pa sA* ni pa ma ga ri ga ma pa dha na dha pa ma ga ri ga ma pa dha pa ma ga
ri ga ma pa ma gA ri ga mA ga ri ga sA sa sa sA* ni dha ni pa , ri* ga* mA* ga* ri* ga*
(ciTTasvara sAhitya)
idu taghumO dharmAm tAnO varAdirundiDa varam EnO kanindu vandiDAviDil yAn en
sheiguvEn Edum pughaliDam ariyEn oru kaNamenum marandariyA ivviLam pEdai magizha
muzhu mati mukhamadil kuru naghaiyoDu karuNai pozhiya vA aruLE taruga vA tirumAl marugA
C: vA vA ADum mayil mIdu vA azhaghA murugA nI
1: un vaDivazhagaik-kANa en mun nI
2: en murai kETTilaiyO vara manamilaiyO cevi pughavilaiyO iniyAghilum
3: urugi urugi uLam UN-urakkamum-inri perugi perugi vizhi uDaladu cOrndiDa
avaLODu unai nADi engum tEDinEn manam vADinEn tuyar OdiDavE
4: anrE oru nALum unaik-kai viDEn ena anbuDanE AdaravAi connadum magiznd-uLam
kalandadum vindai ciridum ninaivillaiyA parama dayaiyum parivum uravum maraiyumO
inru init-tALEn taNikai vaLarum aru maNiyE enadu kaNmaNiyE ennuyirin tuNai

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Will post in a day or two

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here you go:
pallvi
sendil nagar mEvum dEvA shivabAlA nI cintai irangi ennai Ala vA vElavA vA

Oh lord (dEvA), son (bAlA) of Siva, the spear wielder (vElavA), who resides in the city (nagar) of tiruccendUr (sendil)! Allowing mercy to temper your thoughts (cintai irangi), you (nI) please come (vA) to me and admit me (anai) to your divine grace (ALa vA).

anupallavi
enda vELaiyum unnai anRi vErOr eNNamuNDO endan uLLam nI aRiyAyO En inda mAyam

Is there (uNDO) any other (vErOr) thought (eNNam) beside (anRi) those of you (unnai) at all (enda) times (vELaiyum) (in my mind)? Are you not aware (aRiyAyO) of my (endan) heart’s (uLLam) (desires)? Why (En) (are you practicing) this (inda) deceit/hypocricy (mAyam)?

ciTTasvara sAhityam
idu tagumO dharmam tAnO varAdirundiDa varam EnO kanindu vandiDAviDil yAn en sheiguvEn
Edum pugaliDam aRiyEn oru kaNamum maRandaRiyA ivviLam pEdai magizha muzhu mati mukham
adil kuRunagaiyoDu karuNai pozhiya vA aruLE taruga vA tirumAl marugA

Is this (idu) (behavior of yours) appropriate (tagumO)? Or even (tAnO) righteous (dharmam)? Why (EnO) you seem to have taken this vow (varam) to not come (varAdirundiDa) (to me). If you do not appear (vandiDaviDil) before me out of compassion (kanindu), what (en) will/can I (yAn) do (seiguvEn)? I am not aware (aRiyEn) of any (Edum) other refuge (pugaliDam). Oh nephew (marugA) of vishNu (tirumAl), please come (vA) so that this young (ivviLam) and innocent maiden (pEdai) who is unaware (aRiyA) of how to forget (maRandu) (you) even for a (oru) moment (kaNamum), by showering (pozhiya) (your) compassion (karuNai) and granting (taruga) your grace (aruLE) to her with a playful smile (kuRunagaiyODu) on (adil) your face (mugam) that looks like the full (muzhu) moon (mati), can rejoice (magizha).

caraNa sAhityam
vA vA ADum mayil mIdu vA azhaghA murugA nI

Oh handsome one (azhagA, murugA), please come to me (vA vA) astride (mIdu) your dancing (ADum) peacock (mayil).

caraNasvara sAhityam 1
un vaDivazhagaik-kANa en mun nI (vA vA…)

You (nI) (please) appear (vA) before (mun) me (en) (astride your dancing peacock), so that I can behold (kANa) the beauty (azhagai) of your (un) form (vaDivu).

caraNasvara sAhityam 2
en muRai kETTilaiyO vara manamilaiyO sevi pugavilaiyO iniyAgilum (vA vA…)

(Is it possible that you) have not heard (kETTilaiyO) my (en) requests/appeals (muRai)? Have they not entered (pugavilaiyO) your ears (sevi)? Or, perhaps you don’t want to (manamilayO) come (vara)? At least now (iniyAgilum) (please come to me astride your dancing peacock).

caraNasvara sAhityam 3
urugi urugi uLam UN-uRakkamum-inRi perugi perugi vizhi uDaladu
sOrndiDa AvalODu unai nADi engum tEDinEn manam vADinEn tuyar ODiDavE

With my heart (uLam) having become melting (urugi urugi) (with love), without (inRi) food (UN) or even sleep (uRakkamum), with (tears) pouring (perugi perugi) from my eyes (vizhi), and my body (uDaladu) becoming weary (sOrndiDa), I have eagerly (AvalODu) sought (nADi) and searched (tEDinEn) for you (unai) everywhere (engum) with a grieving (vADinEn) heart (manam). (Please come to me astride your dancing peacock) so that my sorrows (tuyar) may disappear (ODiDavE).

caraNasvara sAhityam 4
anRE oru nALum unaik-kai viDEn ena anbuDanE AdaravAi sonnadum magizhnd-uLam
kalandada vindai siRidum ninaivillaiyA parama dayaiyum parivum uRavum maRaiyumO
inRu init-tALEn taNigai vaLarum aru maNiyE enadu kaNmaNiyE ennuyirin tuNai

Oh precious (aru) gem (maNiyE) that flourishes (vaLarum) tiruttaNi (taNigai), my (enadu) darling (kaNmaNiyE), my life’s (uyirin) companion (tuNai), don’t you have even a slight/small (siRidum) recollection of (nianivillayA) the amazing (vindai) time that day (anRE) when you spoke (sonnadum) kindly (AdaravAi) (and promised) that (ena) you will not forsake me (kai viDEn) [1] even for a single (oru) day (nALum), and with joy (magizhndu) our hearts (uLam) were united (kalanda)? Can such lofty (parama) love (parivum), compassion (dayaiyum), and relationship (uRavum) disappear (maRaiyumO) today (inRu)? (I) can't take this (tALEn) anymore (ini).

[1] kaiviDEn literally means will not let go (viDEn) of (your) hand (kai) – meaning, once murugA accepted the nAyika’s hand (in marriage), he promises to never let go – i.e., to never forsake her

Asha Adiga

Post by Asha Adiga »

Thanks, Shankar.

Lakshmi06

Post by Lakshmi06 »

Shankar Sir,

Can you please give the jathi for Neelambari varnam(Lalgudi)

Lakshmi

anandabhairave

Post by anandabhairave »

Could someone share the notation for this varnam please?

My email is krishnamohan.312@gmail.com

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sent.

sands98

Post by sands98 »

Namaskaram,

Could someone share the notation for this varnam please?

My email id is ssks7176@gmail.com

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is sent

Athira Sankar

Post by Athira Sankar »

Namaskaram,

Kindy let me know where i can find the full notations, swara and meaning of neelambari varnam..

Thank you!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The notations are sent.