Harmonium in Bangalore

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Ranganayaki

Harmonium in Bangalore

Post by Ranganayaki »

Hello, All! Wondering if anyone can suggest a good, reliable place to buy a harmonium in Bangalore.

Thank you very much for any helpful information!

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Harmonium in Bangalore

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Aruna Musicals!

Founded by Harmonium Arunachalappa, one store near Nationcal College Basavanagudi. Another store in Balepete.

Please call them before you go over, just to be sure they have what you need (I suggest this because I am making this recommendation sitting here in Michigan!)

jshrikanth

Post by jshrikanth »

I second Sreeniji's recommendation - Aruna Musicals is the place to go - see http://arunamusicalstore.com/index.html.

They also have a shop in Koramangala - may be an easier reach for those in the newer parts of Bangalore. This is managed by Mr Ganesh, fourth generation in the family. The Basavangudi shop has an old-world charm. But Koramangala place has more space and also less busy - which gives you more time to try out various instruments (encouraged by Mr. Ganesh) before you make a purchase.

I was there last week to purchase a violin for my nephew and spent over an hour - my nephew trying out 4-5 violins and Mr. Ganesh taking about various subjects ranging from Veena-makers in Thanjavur to soucring guitars from Kolkata and Violin Veerabhadriah (Mr. Ganesh's grandfather).

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you both so much. I had received the same recommendation from my uncle, and I’m glad it’s true. Will write back if I find what I need. Thank you both again so much! 🙂

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Again, thank you both, Sreeni and jshrikanth, for your recommendation. I went there and found Mr. Ganesh helpful and informative and I was able to pick a wonderful-sounding harmonium 😊.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

jshrikanth wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 08:08 Violin Veerabhadriah (Mr. Ganesh's grandfather).
If I remember correctly what he said, this must have been his uncle. His grandfather was Harmonium Arunachalappa, who started the business and after whom the store is named.

He gave me this photograph below taken at a concert by Sri Balamuralikrishna. The violinist cancelled unexpectedly and Sri Arunachalappa offered to accompany him on the harmonium. Sri BMK was doubtful, but, according to his story, he agreed to try it for just one song. It turned out to be very good and he was allowed to play the entire concert with many expressions of appreciation from BMK. I had never heard of the harmonium accompanying a carnatic concert, so I thought I would share this with you all.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Ranganayaki, nice pic. Thanks for sharing.

Not to digress but another tidbit I can add about the picture is that the ghatam artist is the late shri K S Manjunath. He was an excellent ghatam artist, who employed a lot of mridangam sollus and also distinguished himself as one of the early players of the "tuned" ghatam, accompanying such shruti sensitive artists as MS Subbulakshmi and Madurai Mani Iyer. An earlier generation of ghatam artists like Vilvadri Iyer and Alangudi Ramachandran did not play the "tuned" ghatam (i.e., it wasn't tuned to shadja shruti but rather any arbitrary shruti).

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

What lovely anecdotes.

I was a kid in Bangalore when the BMK concert happened
Lalgudi had been billed but was down with a fever (typhoid?) or something and cancelled.
The RSM organisers moved heaven and earth but couldn't get a violinist. BMK's way of singing was no easy thing to accompany.

Finally Sri Arunachalappa volunteered and history was made.

About Ghatam Manjunath, I heard from Sri A V Anand how Sri. Manjunath started off as a cook cum waiter in a Brahmin's cafe. Read here:

You can read the issue here:
http://www.srlkmandira.org/newsletters/ ... ec2016.pdf

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Who is the mrudangam artist in the photo rsachi ? By any chance is he the guru Of mannargudi Easwaran - kunisiri Krisnamani

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

M. L. Veerabhadriah, student of Palghat Mani Iyer and father of V. Praveen.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Sachi_R wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 11:37 What lovely anecdotes.

I was a kid in Bangalore when the BMK concert happened
Lalgudi had been billed but was down with a fever (typhoid?) or something and cancelled.
The RSM organisers moved heaven and earth but couldn't get a violinist. BMK's way of singing was no easy thing to accompany.

Finally Sri Arunachalappa volunteered and history was made.

Yes, it was Lalgudi, but I didn’t hear about the illness.. So nice Sachi, that you remember this. The rest is the same as what I heard about it.

Thanks to RSachi and Uday_shankar for adding to the story.. 🙂

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

👍