Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rbharath

Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by rbharath »

rajeshnat wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 19:10
rbharath wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 09:35 My gut feeling is kalanidhi for this year could be, haridwaramangalam Sri Palanivel.
Many years back you said my gut feel for this year would be AKC Natarajan in this forum and he got it which ever year that was . Now with your post bharath i wil move him to the top of the list , without your post i was thinking some other two . bharath is usually right, any way we we will wait. When is the expected SK announcement ?
One isn't lucky always Rajesh. :D

harimau

Post by harimau »

gajaa wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:04 Aruna Sairam it is!
Announced by V Sriram in Twitter!
Scooped you by almost 4 hours! :lol:

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Music Academy --- whose credibility was always questionable has hit a new low. Guess, it cannot get worse... :oops: :?:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 14:26
pattamaa wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 14:13 Artists like MMI, MS , maha. Santhanam were also popular.... Not sure why so much resistance in.this case :))
Comparing her to these legends is ridiculous. Academy has lost my respect. Magudis need to be there for the inauguration
Like these people : https://youtu.be/WjpdOZ_3g3E?t=94 8-) or this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KoS15mZRY

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAps6ovAMU

The singular achievement of our education system which culminated with that NITWIT T.M Krishna as spokesperson, along with Judges, bureaucrats , journalists and their ilk come out in full force in your comments.

It is this crowd that needs driven out of music academy , along with fake musicologists. We need raiders like Smt. AruNa Sairam. More power to her!!!

You are a sellout and by using the word magudi disparagingly, you are worthless pawn in the hands of sub-altern theory peddlers!

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

At least people like TMK know what he sings. This woman has nothing to her credit. Can’t imagine her photo hanging with other stalwarts. And what more you would have a genius like RK proposing her name 🙄

harimau

Post by harimau »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:51 At least people like TMK know what he sings. This woman has nothing to her credit. Can’t imagine her photo hanging with other stalwarts. And what more you would have a genius like RK proposing her name 🙄
They could do a duet of the Snake Dance Song! :lol: :lol: :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:51 At least people like TMK know what he sings.
What he sings is the gift of sampradAya - which he refers to as baggage. What he speaks is the gift of subverted Indian education and narratives - the real baggage!!

shankarabharanam

I don’t agree to his views sir. In fact it has been more than seven years since I attended his live concert. Whatever I hear few pieces is from
YouTube sometimes. But at least he isn’t a guy who doesn’t how to sing compared to the snake dancer (also the theatrics on stage).

One may agree or disagree but SK does have it share of glory. It’s almost like an angeegaram for your vidwat. I know an artist shouldn’t be measured by an award, by that standard Lalgudi was above it or even MDR. But adding your name to the likes of masters requires some responsibility from the committee. So this means anything can be bought. I have never vented in this forum against any performing musician. But today I just couldn’t hold on to myself. I knew snake charmer was pulling strings but was expecting the expert committee to stand up against it but one can only have hopes in life

arasi

eRe: Sangeetha Kalanidhi y. 2018

Post by arasi »

Take a deep breath, everyone...
MA will go on, 'with rasikas' love/hate relationship of it.
Enough of TMK bashing. It's sapping our energy.

May women be respected on Rasikas.org always, and let us not, in the name of musical appreciation belittle musicians. Fine-tuned listening doesn't warrant violent outbursts about artistes who possess dignity.
Bear with 'bad' choices if you deem them to be, and wait for the good/bad choice in the year to come.

Congratulations to a woman who persisted, and made it in the music world...Viva Aruna :)

shankarabharanam

I knew this was coming arasiji 😬.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 23:14 I don’t agree to his views sir. In fact it has been more than seven years since I attended his live concert.
When did you last hear Smt. Aruna Sairam??
shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 23:14 But adding your name to the likes of masters requires some responsibility from the committee. So this means anything can be bought.
You cannot disparage countless fans that listen to her and fill the halls in one go. There is no way to claim that their experience of music is false. Their ignorance or level of knowledge is irrelevant.

if a musical system demands that listeners know something - that is a sham!!

The committee , figuratively speaking - assuming they represent a body of knowledge and attitude of many past "tradionalists" who sought to define it, have themselves gone egregiously wrong before this. And that goes back very many decades. And I consider the omission of this or that musician in the past as inconsequential and at the bottom of the list or excluded in my complaint.

My point is about the substance of what is the nature of our tradition and the debates that have been had. So this choice, even if not acceptable to you, does not affect the state of things. It may help the musical scene somewhat.

There are bigger issues. Selecting a musician for presiding over the yearly celebration, is a requirement for carrying on the conversation that's it.

Aruna Sairam is not getting some extra angeekaram that she already does not have.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

For Aruna, voice was her problem, not vidwat. To say that she is not classicist is to cast aspersion on Smt. Brinda.
Whether there were not others who counted above her is the issue.

shankarabharanam

I have listened to AS before she settled in Chennai. She comes from my city. And those who follow Brindamma bani can vouch she is nowhere close to it today. I don’t want to open a Pandora’s box to talk about her vidwat. I have never had issues with musicians having voice issues because that is something not in their hands on any given day. For that matter a vidwan like Sanjay isn’t gifted with a great voice but his vidwat can’t be questioned.

I attended a concert of AS at Academy and honestly I was forced to by a friend. The theatrics and the way she sang saveri that day I pitied the accompanists on stage. And again in Cleveland where I witnessed a concert, she made a mockery of that trinity pallavi. Give me a break. And yes the Cleveland concert was in 2017

I might not be old enough like many in the forum but have been a vainika since I was eight years and learnt for almost fifteen years in Mumbai before moving to a different city.

I just have to say it is indeed a wrong decision and one has to live with it. As arasiji says, a deep breath and I continue to listen to wonderful concert by DKP in my dock.
Last edited by shankarabharanam on 16 Jul 2018, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

First off, Congratulations to AS for the Nobel.

There are instances where the Academy honors itself while conferring the Title and there are instances where it’s the Artist who is honored. This year it’s probably the latter, I reconcile…

Academy’s reasoning in the announcement was equally puzzling (“credited with taking the art to a very wide audience..”). Is that the primary rationale or support argument MA could come up with?

I squared my own heart burn this way… It’s not that AS isn’t deserving, it’s just that there are scores of Maha Vidwans who were perhaps more deserving this year.

Anyways, I’m sure the Academy will get back to honoring itself in 2019 & beyond.

Sundar.

shankarabharanam

Just adding to my post.. no wonder they announced the life time achievement award first. It looks like a consolation prize to all rasikas or if I may put it, there is something that we did that won’t go well and hence let us give the good gift first 😜

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Very likely, Shanakarabharanam. The "consolation prize" theory has legs ;)

Roughly one-half of an AS concert are just Thukadas, isn't? May be, one should re-christen the Title to Thukada-Sangeetha Kalanidhi ;)

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Regardless of whether this person deserves the award or not, I question the choice ahead of more deserving senior artists as O.S. Thyagarajan and others .

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Exactly. Maha Vidwans like OST, Guruvayoor Dorai,.. they are in another league.

If evangelism or popularity of scores is a primary measure, why not K. Somu (of Veeramani Somu fame)? Somu's original scores (such as Pallikattu Sabarimalaiku, Chellatha,..) created the Ayyappa Bhakthi movement worldwide - which is no ordinary feat. However, when it comes to SK - silliness of this argument is self-evident, which is why Academy's reasoning in the announcement was puzzling to some.

sankark

Post by sankark »

I have no dog in this entire SK hullabaloo. It is an annual thamAshA. Neither do the conferees suddenly become kalAnidhis nor does the non-conferred become nincompoop.
shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 I have listened to AS before she settled in Chennai. She comes from my city. And those who follow Brindamma bani can vouch she is nowhere close to it today. I don’t want to open a Pandora’s box to talk about her vidwat. I have never had issues with musicians having voice issues because that is something not in their hands on any given day. For that matter a vidwan like Sanjay isn’t gifted with a great voice but his vidwat can’t be questioned.
Its your yardstick s'bharanam (and many others) - AS doesn't have something which SS has aplenty. Just for a moment think that there cuold be folks with the opposite view for whom two years ago would be an aberration. Gasp! What if others are right?

Going by TBrinda's reported reputation for no nonsense & acerbic character, AS wouldn't have made into the threshold of TB's house as a student if TB didn't think AS had some genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility. Something worth pondering over perhaps?
Last edited by sankark on 16 Jul 2018, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

This line of reasoning (that Brinda accepted AS as a student; therefore AS is SK worthy) is flawed seventy two different ways ;)

Shankarabharanam's views are perhaps isolated (in questioning AS's base credentials), but many of us join Sundara Rajan in pondering - Is AS the most eligible Maha Vidwan this year? That's all.

shankarabharanam

I think more than Brindamma her skills were honed by her mother and sri Ramachandran sir, a teacher and vidwan of very high repute from Mumbai. It was Ramachandran sir who introduced the family to T Brinda. Just because someone took pains to get audience shouldn’t be a yardstick for SK.

I know she is an open throated singer and have heard her in pandals in Mumbai before she became a abhang performer for the Chennai audience. I think there are enough deserving vidwans who have contributed more to the art form than just her who in my opinion hasn’t done justice to her so called musical lineage

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I said as much that there were others who were more deserving. It is not necessary to question her credentials which have not been mean. While Sanjay is found acceptable in this thread, all sorts of uncharitable things were written when he was chosen because someone to their like was not chosen. There are two different things, comparative merit and individual merit. I do not think that AS has no individual merit. If some of her concerts are off colour that too in 2017, that is understandable. I am a ‘good, not good’ type of Rasika (TMK classification) and on this basis, I am not a rasika of AS, but that is no reason to doubt her credentials.

SabashBale

Post by SabashBale »

harimau wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:55
shankarabharanam wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 22:51 At least people like TMK know what he sings. This woman has nothing to her credit. Can’t imagine her photo hanging with other stalwarts. And what more you would have a genius like RK proposing her name 🙄
They could do a duet of the Snake Dance Song! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Has already been done some 40 years ago - though not on the Carnatic stage - "Orey Jeevan Ondre Ullam Vaarai Kannaa" - Kamal and Sripriya!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Congratulations to Aruna Sairam.

First week of July, I heard three names had been zeroed . Ranjani Gayathri, BJ and AS. I was bit upset because OST, VVS and few elders deserved this and I was hoping one of them would be getting this.

Today. AS. Madurai Somu should be happy because AS was called Lady Somu. !!!

Iam not a rasika of AS and I also don't think she has that credentials. Unfortunately, Vijay Siva and TM Krishna were "eliminated" to accommodate these artists to take the podium.

But as Arasiji says, barring my personal opinion on an artist, read my "first line"

sankark

Post by sankark »

iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:22 Is AS the most eligible Maha Vidwan this year? That's all.
So did you also ponder on whether AK became a Mahavidwan suddenly after SR/SS became Mahavidwan?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is a post of Sri V.Ramanarayan, a connoisseur.
(From twitter/FB)

Ramnarayan Venkatraman

I have been a great admirer of Aruna Sairam the musician, from the time before she reinvented her concert repertoire to capture the popular mandate as arguably the most successful artist of her time. i had been privileged to listen to her rendition in the company of Geetha Raja of an authentic Dhanammal bani recital at a house concert a couple of decades ago. i knew of her heroic battle against audience indifference, her indomitable spirit that helped her plunge into a voyage of voice-and self-discovery placing complete trust in the hands of a German expert, her powerful fusion efforts in which her newly acquired, sonorous voice rang clear and true in a bell-like tone that would have done an MS or a Gangubai Hangal proud. I was also lucky to participate in a couple of panel discussions in which she displayed great bhakti towards her art and her guru, as well as a sharp intellect and brilliant articulation. The Music Academy has bestowed on her a richly deserved honour, I am sure as much in recognition of all these sterling qualities as acknowledgement of her undeniable role as a proselytiser of Carnatc music who has drawn sizable new audiences to this classical art. She has been a good friend of Sruti magazine. We appreciate her steadfast support and salute her in her hour of glory. Our cup of joy will be full when she realises her potential for true greatness as a champion of all that is good in music.
Here's something I wrote some years ago: https://srutimag.blogspot.com/search?q=aruna+sairam

sankark

Post by sankark »

sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:04 Going by TBrinda's reported reputation for no nonsense & acerbic character, AS wouldn't have made into the threshold of TB's house as a student if TB didn't think AS had some genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility. Something worth pondering over perhaps?
iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:22 This line of reasoning (that Brinda accepted AS as a student; therefore AS is SK worthy) is flawed seventy two different ways ;)
iamsundar, Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility". Being "SK worthy" needs both as a necessary condition but not sufficient condition. Sufficient conditions are, whatever they be, "MA expert committee's" prerogative.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

From the time when sanjay got it in 2015, the debate went where many more accompolished and senior artists were passed . the debate went with ravikiran vs sanjay etc also. Then we thought how come A kanyakumari , OST , vikku , Mannargudi Easwaran and VV Subramaniam were passed. Now the logic is little more clear for very accompolished artist where academy feels an award they take it to LifeTime Achievement award and that is brahmastram that was given to Vikku . Violinist VVS may be passed as he was a bit of anti establshment(I recollect the post of KVN son here) . Karaikaudi Mani does not accept so he may be passed. A Kanyakumari had to wait and she got it in 2016. I was thinking OST or Aruna this year till bharath stated that even haridawaramangalam palanivel is in contention . I think in 2019 to 2020 OST and Mannargudi Easwaran will get it .

I am not sure how many students that tanjavur ramadas has trained , i do know Mannarkoil balaji is one of his student. he is truly a great artist . Thanjavur Ramadas has played a lot for sanjay not in the last few years, but before that .One pattern that i am making a calculated guess is perhaps getting clearer, the power center is possibly V Sriram and Sanjay may also have a big say . I think this year all the awards that were given are fair.

On aruna sayeeram atleast from the years 2001 to 2011 her music was appealing and not so dilute as of now . Now she is modelling not any more with trinity it is more on gregorian bells . All said her music was extremely appealing to me in parts ,her diction viruththam , some pidis of madurai somu etc was a better tradeoff than lacklustre maadu meikkum, kalinga nartana tillana and abhang . She is certainly introducing more entry level rasikas , her prime share of rasikas is perhaps dissipating now towards ranjani gayathri, sanjay and few more artist. I just see now in google that Aruna was born in 1952 certainly a nice age to respect the artist and art , unlike 2015 and 2017 where senior artist like A kanyakumari , OST are passed.

Some Logical Rules that rajesh is extrapolating
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Do well in your musical performance career and have a real big influential lobby and pull - You may end with Sangeetha kalanidhi

2. Not do that very well in Performance career in music when compared to that era peers (PSN) OR Do very well in musical career but donot have a strong insider lobby (TRS)- You may end with Sangeetha Kala Acharya

3. Do some what well(SRG Rajanna) or do well and have practically no lobby(Manakkal Rangarajan) - TTK award

4. Life Time Achievement award , usually given to artists who are missed and the institution is doing a salvage to keep up their brand(Lalgudi Jayaraman) OR silence excessive noise and stop the lobby who are repeatedly proposing them for Sangeetha kalanidhi (Vikku Vinayakaram)

Dear Musicians who are below age of 80 who are considerably elder in performance art and vidwat- Please do take care of your health . After all Palakkad Raghu and TV Gopalakrishnan got at 80 Plus and the ace vageyakkara papanAsam sivan got at 80 plus too.

sankark

Post by sankark »

rajeshnat wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 16:03 lacklustre maadu meikkum, kalinga nartana tillana
what exactly is lacklustre about these two, musically speaking?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Congratulations to Aruna Sairam !

She has got the award with ‘a bang’, much to the annoyance of a few.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The press release is peculiarly facile. As is credited with having big audiences, another awardee has "trained several students." perhaps it's the invading illiteracy of The Hindu newspaper. But surely, for awardees deserving or undeserving, they can find something better to write?

And, not withstanding my personal liking and respect for Sri Ramnarayan, I am glad that Aruna lost her heroic battle against my indifference towards her music ;)

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Sankark wrote: So did you also ponder on whether AK became a Mahavidwan suddenly after SR/SS became Mahavidwan?

Not Quite. Pondering is two fold: Objectively, is AS in the same league as Ravikiran, A Kanyakumari, Sanjay & TVG? Subjectively, are there (or aren't there) other Vidwans/Vidhushis more qualified for that league?

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Nick H wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 17:33 The press release is peculiarly facile. As is credited with having big audiences, another awardee has "trained several students." perhaps it's the invading illiteracy of The Hindu newspaper. But surely, for awardees deserving or undeserving, they can find something better to write?

And, not withstanding my personal liking and respect for Sri Ramnarayan, I am glad that Aruna lost her heroic battle against my indifference towards her music ;)
True that. At the very least, write up some of their more compelling accomplishments...

Pratyaksham Bala

Aruna Sairam - 1995 Review by Subbudu
http://www.arunasairam.org/upload/media ... 411014.pdf

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:29
sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:04 Going by TBrinda's reported reputation for no nonsense & acerbic character, AS wouldn't have made into the threshold of TB's house as a student if TB didn't think AS had some genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility. Something worth pondering over perhaps?
iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:22 This line of reasoning (that Brinda accepted AS as a student; therefore AS is SK worthy) is flawed seventy two different ways ;)
iamsundar, Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility". Being "SK worthy" needs both as a necessary condition but not sufficient condition. Sufficient conditions are, whatever they be, "MA expert committee's" prerogative.
We aren't talking about "chance/slot for one's first concert" to launch a career; we are talking about bestowing what's arguably the highest decoration. Pedigree (Brinda or self-taught) should have no bearing here and isn't necessary at all; that vidwan/vidushi's volume of work (accomplishments, contributions, sishya-kulam,..) should speak for itself - isn't?

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

It is picturised as though magudy is untouchable for C.M. There is a raga dedicated for it . Thiruvengadu Subramania pilla a great nadaswara vidwan contemporary of T N R was reputrd and sought after for his magudy. Flute mali and Ramani have also handled it.

sankark

Post by sankark »

iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 19:51
sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:29
We aren't talking about "chance/slot for one's first concert" to launch a career; we are talking about bestowing what's arguably the highest decoration. Pedigree (Brinda or self-taught) should have no bearing here and isn't necessary at all; that vidwan/vidushi's volume of work (accomplishments, contributions, sishya-kulam,..) should speak for itself - isn't?
Is this sentence - Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility" - that complicated to parse & make sense of?

You think this vidushi's volume of work doesn't speak for itself. The awarding body thought it does and have publicly spoken so. So there that is.

Chance/Slot - ha ha, are you confusing between the cause (SK) & effect (career) in this instance?

We can talk about this till end of this kaliyugA and nothing will change. So I am gonna shut up.

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:30
Is this sentence - Brinda accepted AS as a student simply implies "genuine potential & base musical vidwat/sensibility" - that complicated to parse & make sense of?
"Brinda accepted AS as a student" is a weak support argument for an SK.

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Are we only going to hear either 'Madumekum Kanne' and the Oothukadu Snake dance thillana or Marathi Abhangs this coming season?!

What exactly is Aruna Sairam's contribution to CM?

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Your proposal is accepted, though it is twenty years too early!
Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 14:01 I propose flautist Shashank.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

iamsundar wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 21:13
sankark wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:30
"Brinda accepted AS as a student" is a weak support argument for an SK.
If that is the argument, in that case all students of Sangeetha kalanidhis should be awarded SK at some point of their musical career 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 And those who follow Brindamma bani can vouch she is nowhere close to it today.
You had mentioned MDR in another post. It was a nephew of Alathur brothers talking to me outside the Chicago Rama temple, who said, there is NO relationship between what MDR sang and what Tiger sang. Since I did not get to live during Tiger's time, I have to rely on this, but then he does not have to lie that forcefully.
shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 For that matter a vidwan like Sanjay isn’t gifted with a great voice but his vidwat can’t be questioned.
You see, for having been gifted with some masculine prowess and a diaphragm that has greater longevity, the YACM male first-genners have not off late been doing justice in holding syllables that tightly. There is more to music than just showing your vidvat with ragas and going through the motions of neraval and svarams. Are you are telling us that, Sanjay does not do theatrics?? - again I am not referring to any bodily actions or mannerisms, just his vocal style only, the way he stretches to reach that one extra note.

Sanjay, Vijay Siva are all raw emoters and try to attract sentiments of the audience ( the cine crowd or the bhakti of the sAmi paDam variety crowd). TMK was relatively much less so before. But today you can see him get into that act a bit.

Aruna's weaknesses are universal weaknesses of that era of musicians. The operative word for that is lack of a sense of layam, even in Bhajans. Old well honed kriti renditions all of them handled somewhat well. When they bring their own specialties is when that dies. They don't put enough art into it as much they put some raw emotions into it.
shankarabharanam wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:08 I might not be old enough like many in the forum but have been a vainika since I was eight years and learnt for almost fifteen years in Mumbai before moving to a different city.
For all that you have enough to run your Academy and chart the destiny of music in this world. To be upset with Music Academy for this reason is laughable.

How much have you done to develop and share a perspective on appreciation here? I would urge you to do that more, before you complain.

shankarabharanam

Picking on Sanjay’s voice was in response to some saying about AS having voice issues. Today is norm for theatrics but the kind of knowledge displayed by Sanjay or Vijay Siva, AS has hanged her style to suit only the last half hour of the concert.

I can argue at length about what she lacks. And to talk about MA I have every right to point fingers in this forum. My point the press release itself is a bit vague that says she has promoted music at large. Every other person says that in their description these days.

I think there are many who know me since Sangeetham days and my identity is the same. I don’t have multiple accounts or have never refrained from sharing my views. I have benefitted from a lot of learned rasikas here and sometimes I feel arguing can be avoided because trolling is way to easy in forums. My issue with AS was mentioned and you seem to disagree then why can’t you just move on than pointing out where I can actually change my opinion.

Pratyaksham Bala

Very few have congratulated; but not many have objected !

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Question remains : What is AS or even Sanjay's contribution to Carnatic music to merit this award?

Sanjay still sang some Tamil songs to appease the DMK lot and their masses. Though a lot of those songs had nothing to do with Carnatic music.

But AS? Can her Abhangs be qualified as a contribution?

Don't know!
shankarabharanam wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 09:32 Picking on Sanjay’s voice was in response to some saying about AS having voice issues. Today is norm for theatrics but the kind of knowledge displayed by Sanjay or Vijay Siva, AS has hanged her style to suit only the last half hour of the concert.

I can argue at length about what she lacks. And to talk about MA I have every right to point fingers in this forum. My point the press release itself is a bit vague that says she has promoted music at large. Every other person says that in their description these days.

I think there are many who know me since Sangeetham days and my identity is the same. I don’t have multiple accounts or have never refrained from sharing my views. I have benefitted from a lot of learned rasikas here and sometimes I feel arguing can be avoided because trolling is way to easy in forums. My issue with AS was mentioned and you seem to disagree then why can’t you just move on than pointing out where I can actually change my opinion.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ticket sales is definitely an important criterion, especially year on year.

narayan

Post by narayan »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 12:05 .
Very few have congratulated; but not many have objected !
I would like to offer my congratulations to Aruna Sairam on this occasion.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, a breath of fresh air!
Thanks, Narayanan--you belong to the group of our 'low key, but knows plenty about music' folks--a true gentleman rasikA, I would say.
Yes, may there be more good wishes from us for her:)

PB, the super hunter for information onanything from anywhere...
Thanks for that old review by subbudu!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Hello Friends,

Very Interesting Observations and views on this subject.Rajesh has posted his analysis on this subject.
Before I write any thing my hearty Congratulations to Madam Aruna Sayeeram on the academy award SANGEETHAKALANIDHI.

In 2012 A Committee chaired by Sri N Murali conferred the INDIRA SIVASAILAM AWARD on AS.
SANJAY and SUDHA were also first awarded the INDIRA award and a couple of years later SK award by Music Academy.
RaGa sisters and Lalgudi Siblings have also been given the INDIRA award.I am sure RaGa sisters will be SK awardees in a couple of years.

The press announcement on AS spoke of the spread of CM to wider audience.Then on this count alone RaGa sisters are already qualified for SK.
Surely OST and VS do not belong to the crowd pulling capability.There must be some other criteria to award SK to OST/VS.VS is ruled out as year after year he is missing in the academy performers list be it morning or evening.

Whatever criteria or who ever is awarded,SK continues to draw Rasikas attention and the announcement is looked forward to.