Trichy Pradeepkumar, Madhuradhwani, 5/Aug/2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Trichy Pradeepkumar, Madhuradhwani, 5/Aug/2018

Post by sankark »

@ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybi_dAVlhao live now

with KJDileep, TrivandrumBalaji & KVGopalakrishnan

khp sketch followed by ganapatiyE karunAnidhiyE riveting s@ganapatiyE
sAvEri brief AlApanai by v & v followed by shankari samkuru

sankark

Re: Trichy Pradeepkumar, Madhuradhwani, 5/Aug/2018

Post by sankark »

tight ns@shyAmakrishna sOdari shyAmaLE sAtOdari
jyOtiswarUpini gAnaamritha (isn't it gAnAmudha) pAnam

sankark

Post by sankark »

nenarunchi nAnu with the customary chittaiswaram acrobatics :)
varALi brief AlApanai mAmava mInAkshi

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Annapoorne visalakshi.

Love his enunciation of the lyric.

sankark

Post by sankark »

n@hEma ratnAbharaNa dhArini Isha guruguha hrdAgArini
annapUrnE visAlAlkshi s@tOyajAsanAdi sannutaparE

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

hRdAkAriNi, right?

sankark

Post by sankark »

hrdAgArini vs hrdAkArini: if it is based on Akarshanam would be hrdAkAriNi I think

thOdi AragimpavE

sankark

Post by sankark »

ns@sAramaina divyAnnamu thani

sankark

Post by sankark »

penmAn magaLaith thirudum thirudan virutham in a very good kApi, and KJD going silent for summA iru (:D) was a nice touch, followed by
pUnkuyil kUvum pUnchOlaiyil oru nAL TB & KVG's are adding so much lustre to this one - lot of left hand gumkis (?? right?)
mA madurApuri vAzh magarAniyE
mangaLam

mangaLam.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sankark wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 20:17hrdAgArini vs hrdAkArini: if it is based on Akarshanam would be hrdAkAriNi I think
Thank you for making me look this up...Thanks to Rajani's great efforts, learned that in this kRti, Sri MD describes mInAkshI as "the one who resides (AgAriNi) in the hearts of Siva (ISa) and muruga (guruguha)".....hence, ISa guru guha hRdAgAriNi.

Purist

Post by Purist »

sureshvv wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:48 Annapoorne visalakshi.

Love his enunciation of the lyric.
Is it not "sevita pare" after thoya jasa nadhi ? He sings as "sannutavare "

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I reserve my comment on his Samskrtam pronunciation, but sannuta vare sounds alright as regards meaning, prosody and prasa. Could it be a pata bheda? (RR Iyengar gives it as sevita pare only).

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Gold standard for jyOtisvarUpiNI Alapana was set by Sri Mysore Nagaraj in the Sanjay NGS 2000 Charsur release. That is if SKR had sung and I had not heard it!

That is tough one to beat! Still he did a good job.

AragimpavE was a such a majestic rendition in the gait that he setup. Trivandrum Balaji taking it up nicely with his tension filled electricity. Alapana preceding that was a folkish tODi, that went into sindhu bhairavi flavor and same returns in neraval @ saramaina.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

kvchellappa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 14:09 I reserve my comment on his Samskrtam pronunciation...
Pls. give some examples. His style seems to suggest that he totally internalizes the lyrics - and they come from within.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

We are talking of two different things.
His aikyam with the kriti (meaning, bhava, raga, layam) is exemplary.
His pronunciation of श (pronounced as स), stressed consonants pronounced as non-stressed ones, etc, is what I have in mind.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I thoroughly enjoyed this young man's music sans frills, props, or fuss- it flowed very well, and the rAga moods he created were excellent. sAma was particularly lovely, especially how he brought out both the soothing flavor, as well as some bounciness with the svaras.

That said, I agree that his sanskRt pronunciation was less than perfect: for example, he replaced S (श) with s (स) - the sanskRt word for wide/big is viSAla; visAla is probably not a word that means anything. So it is viSAlAkshI. sEvita parE replaced with sannuta parE actually doesn't bother me (as the meaning remains more or less the same). However, he did change paramESvara viSvESvara bhAsvarI from the original to paramESvarI viSvESvarI bhAsvarI....paramESvara and viSvESvara are epithets for Siva, for/with whom Sri MD describes annapUrna as being resplendent (bhAsvarI)....

BUT - minor nitpicks aside, I enjoyed the music, and thank Sankark for starting this topic.....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Trichy Pradeep Kumar@Arkays on Aug 05th 2018
---------------------------------------------

Trichy Pradeep kumar - Vocal
KJ Dileep - Violin
Trivandrum Balaji - Mridangam
K.V.Gopalakrishnan - Khanjira
Concert Duration : 2 hours and 50 mins - 06:15 to 09:05 pm
Sabha : Madhuradhwani
Day/Hall :Sunday/Arkays hall

01.ganapathiyE karunAnidhiyE(R,S) - kharaharapriya - psivan
2 mins alapana and 3 mins swaras

02.Shankari shankuru(R,N,S) - sAveri - SS
2 mins alapana and brief violin return
neraval in shyamakrishna sOdhari for 5 mins
swaras for 6 mins

03.gAnAmudhapAnam(R)- jyothiswaroopini - KI
9 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return

04. nenarunchinAnu annitiki - malavi - T
05. mAmava meenakshi (R , N) - varAli - MD
2 mins each for alapana and violin return
8 mins neraval in hemaratha bharana

06. annapoornE visAlakshi (S)- shyama- MD
3 mins swaras

07A. aaragimpavE (R,N,S,T)- tOdi - T
16 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
6 mins neraval in saramaina
8 mins swaras
07B. tani for 16 mins

08A. viruththam - penmAn magalai thirudum thirudan - kApi
08B. poonkuyil koovum - kapi - kalki
09. mA madhura purivAi maghArAniyE - bhageshri - ??(Lji help)
10. nee nama

Pradeep is surely a wonderful vidwan , though opportunity to hear him is limited . The last i heard him few years is in the same sabha and the same venue. He has learnt from J Venkataraman and surely shows adequate alathur school with quite a bit of laya. But to me there is always a certain off beat approach in his concert that generally does not fall in the usual janata crowd that i like and he surely gave that.

He started with a rare start in a raga that usually reserved for only main krithi . Kharaharapriya alapana was brief and the thrust came with the lovely ganapathi song of sivan . kharaharapriya Swaras were well done but it was not a great one to keep my antenna up. The saveri next was well done , the neraval was polished very well and the syama sastri krithi was intensely carnatakam. jyothiswaroopini alapana was bit difficult to disambiguate to me with its closer cousin like nasikabhooshani(only sureshvv was more adamant in jyothiswaroopini) but the alapana had enough vivadi melakartha verve that i liked. The filler nenarunchi in malavi did not get into any gusto mode and that was a bit of disappointment

What a shyamA he sang , he took his turn and ideated very intently the calm undercurrent of shyama . Was there a semmangudi lining in shyama may be not , but possibly there was a bit of little more throw like a musiri . I immensely liked this shyama in his methodical approach. The days best was the alapana in todi , todi is the queen of ragas and his todi was well chiseled with a lot of nayana pidi.Pradeep has a a steady voice and todi ideas came out well rounded . I was wondering with all the Trinity gone and sivan gone if the number would be a taaye yashoda , he surprised with me a rare aarigampavE. if my memory is right alathur brothers his paramaguru are known for this . THe krithi was not that great as his alapana but he kept me very engaged as i had forgotten how the krithi is .

All the tukkkadas were well done and i liked his non bhajanaish feel there. I have not heard this viruththam penmAn magalai but it was distilled coffee and he ending with DKJ/DKP popularized poonkuyil was lovely. THe last bhageshri mA madhura was quite catchy and If my memory is right he sang the last time the same number. All were bit off beat and i liked it.

KJ dileep was engaging for some time but bit more melody will help. Balaji from trivandrum is slowly edging more and more towards his guru palakkad raghu. His patterns always seem to have the right rhythmmic intelligence to get the mrudangam aura strong with flavour then with mega HITS . KVG gave adequate support . I forget now how their tani was?

All said pradeep at times is taking bit more time to enunciate lyrics . I personally like musicians to slightly err on that right pronunciation and instead give a bit more ounce of joy to get bit more music(the semmangudi way) . Pradeep could have planned bit more better in not taking way too may numbers which were near 60 t0 70% fragmented submain. He could have allocated bit more time to the aaragimpavE krthi neraval and swaras after a lovey todi alapana or better yet with arkay ramakrishnan starting at 06:15 and giving time till 9 pm he could have given a pallavi.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 50 mins.

Purist

Post by Purist »

#17 Rajeshnat : Since when did Sama raga become *Shyama*?

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

Around the same time, when people started butchering Thamizh language, like using "sh" instead of"s" , which they think makes them sound sophisticated, decent or whatever they think. E.g., "sollu" in today's parlance mostly gets pronounced as "Shollu"...