Broadbasing carnatic music

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

pattamaa

Re: Broadbasing carnatic music

Post by pattamaa »

sad trend.. extremely disappointing to note that huge amount of money play involved and popular carnatic composition mettu and lyrics are morphed to suit their needs..

CRama

Post by CRama »

There is nothing new or to be shocked. 40-50 years back, it has happened in Kerala. While writing my series on Musicians of Kerala, I gathered that Chertala R.Gopalan Nair who was with AIR, Trivandrum had tuned many Christian DEvotional songs in Carnatic ragams as requested by the then Archbishop of Trivandrum- not on the tunes of any popular kriti- and prominent musicians like Dr.Omanakutty has rendered full length concerts of these songs.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

pattamaa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 15:12 popular carnatic composition mettu and lyrics are morphed
This was not mentioned in the Hindu article.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Why is it amiss if other religions use CM? It has already been diluted in film music and all.
Purity of CM is not assured only if Hindu deities are sung about.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

kvchellappa wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 19:41 Why is it amiss if other religions use CM?
The question should be what is amiss if a community of people learn / cherish and absorb this tradition, for e.g. a community of villagers in a remote location sing to the praise of their deity or whatever feelings they have!

Why should we recognize religions? What is the difference? We need to understand that!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I sense a new market up and coming for CM musicians.

Meanwhile, outrage is becoming the new religion (What do I mean "new"??). The internet is the new alcohol...

Idealistically, religions and some of the stuff what they claim make logical sense. But if only the reality was anywhere near that...enough said.

I have at one point of time, come to the conclusion that the overwhelming majority of us humans are in fact insane, it is only the physical barrier that isn't allowing that insanity to be visible most of the time.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Mudhra Bhaskar shared a post.
A.s. Ram's Post
My Stand over the Ongoing Carnatic Music Christian songs

https://www.facebook.com/sriramkeyboard ... 787361871/

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

It will be good to have some dEshabhakti songs tuned to heavier rAgas to be performed in the pre-main or main section.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I am sorry it is in Tamizh and fits in this thread.
Gist: No morphing of Thyagaraja kriti is discernible. The practice of singing Christian songs in carnatic ragas is pretty old.
From FB:
Lalitharam Ramachandran
2 hrs ·
இரண்டு நாட்களாய் ஒரு வாட்ஸாப் செய்தி என் கைப்பேசிக்கு வந்த வண்ணம் இருக்கிறது.

அதில் தியாகராஜர் கீர்த்தனையை சிறு சிறு மாறுதலுக்கு உட்படுத்தி கிருஸ்துவப் பாடலாய் மாற்றியிருப்பதாகவும். அதை பிரபல பாடகர்கள் பாடியிருப்பதாகவும் உள்ளது.

கிருஸ்துவ கீர்த்தனைகள் ஒன்றும் புதிதல்ல. நேற்றுகூட 1984 கேவிஎன் அவர்கள் சபா கச்சேரியில் கர்த்தரைப் பாடிய வேதநாயகம் பிள்ளை பாடலைப் பகிர்ந்திருந்தேன்.

ஆனால், பிரபலமான தியாகராஜர் பாட்டில் (தியாகராஜாவை ஏசுராஜா என்று மாற்றியதாகத் தகவல் சொல்கிறது) மெட்டைத் தொடாமல் சாஹித்யத்தை மட்டும் தேவைக்கு ஏற்றவாறு வளைத்துக் கொண்டால் நெருடத்தான் செய்யும். (அந்தக் கால சினிமாவில் நாத தனுமனிஷம் பாடலை காதல் கனிரஸமேவாக ஆக்கிக் கொள்ளவில்லையா என்று பாயைப் பிராண்டலாம் - அதற்கு அப்புறம் வருவோம்)

இந்தச் செய்தி தொடர்ந்து வரவே, அதில் இருந்த இணைப்பைச் சொடுக்கிப் பார்த்தேன். வித். நித்யஸ்ரீ பாடியுள்ள பாடல் அந்த இணைப்பில் உள்ளது.

கொஞ்சம் தேடலுக்குப் பின் அந்தப் பாடலின் முழு வடிவம் யூடியூபிலேயே கிடைத்தது.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKFn_SeLclI

என் அறிவுக்கு எட்டியவரை இந்தப் பாடல் எந்த தியாகராஜ கிருதியையும் நினைவுபடுத்தவில்லை. சாஹித்யமும் தியாகராஜர் கிருதியை அப்படியே எடுத்தாண்டதாக இல்லை.

(ராமரைப் பாடிய தியாகராஜரின் பாடலில் தியாகராஜ என்ற வார்த்தையை ஏசுராஜா என்று மாற்றினால் ஏசு ராமரைப் பாடியதாக அர்த்தம் வராதா என்றெல்லாம் நம் வாட்ஸாப் அறிஞர்கள் எண்ணிப் பார்ப்பார்களா என்று நானறியேன்.)

என்னைப் பொறுத்தமட்டில் கர்நாடக இசையில் கிருஸ்துவப் பாடல்கள் பாடி நிகழ்ச்சி நடத்துவது ஒன்றும் குற்றமில்லை. “தேவி கிருதிகள் கச்சேரி”, “ராம நாடக கீர்த்தனை கச்சேரி” போல ஒரு தீமாடிக் கச்சேரியாய் தான் கிருஸ்துவ கீர்த்தனை கச்சேரிகளை நான் காண்கிறேன்.

அப்படித்தான் எல்லோரும் பார்க்க வெண்டும் என்று இல்லை. அப்படிப் பார்க்காதவர்கள் குறைந்த பட்சம் உண்மையான செய்திகளைக் கொண்டு வாதிடலாம்.

வதந்திகள் சிரஞ்சீவிகளா என்ன? இன்றைக்கோ நாளைக்கோ பல்லிளித்துத்தானே ஆகவேண்டும்?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKFn_SeLclI

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Hindus are happy when singers like Yesudas from other religion sing in praise of Hindu deity but if Hindu musicians sing in praise of Christian deity we have problems. Using thyagaraja krithis for film music by changing the lyrics was done by the great papanasam sivan that too for film music, no objection there. The tunes / lyrics when cut pasted will anyways not sound like the original and not sure how many people would enjoy them. we don't like a new form of music, let us ignore and let us enjoy what we like. If the motive behind such activities are religious conversion then it is totally a different matter altogether.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

srikant1987 wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 16:11 It will be good to have some dEshabhakti songs tuned to heavier rAgas to be performed in the pre-main or main section.
For that we have to learn some dESa bhakti too, the theism of the real Indian kind from [:cough:] West!!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/26/asia/nor ... index.html

Not the other theisms!!

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 08:10 Hindus are happy when singers like Yesudas from other religion sing in praise of Hindu deity but if Hindu musicians sing in praise of Christian deity we have problems.
the problem is that such albums are used to influence people and conversion to Christianity. it's not acceptable. Apparently, there is huge amount of money involved in whole process.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I have followed her for quite some time. She has been modest, a trait that runs in her lineage. She has sounded genuine and respectful, and sincere about her music. I have no reason to believe in the accusations against her.

Dr. Nithyasree Mahadevan
1 hr ·
My dear rasikas, music enthusiasts, patrons, organizers, and well-wishers,

• I am extremely pained to read the accusations against me that have gone viral. I sang this devotional song ‘Samaanulevaru prabho’ on Jesus only because I was happy to be an instrument to bolster communal peace and harmony. I wish to state that I have not had any ulterior or financial motive. I apologize for inadvertently hurting your sentiments if any.

• Rooted in Carnatic music, I have great respect for all composers, especially The Trinity. I would never ever attempt to sing a Thyagaraja kriti, replacing ‘Rama’ with any other name. That would be completely unacceptable. That said, I do not see Thayagaraja’s masterpiece ‘Rama nee samaana mevaru’ in ‘Karaharapriya’ to have semblance of any kind, to the Christian song ‘Samaanulevaru prabho’, composed mostly in ‘ShankaraabharaNam.’

• I belong to a family steeped in rich Hindu tradition, values and culture. Therefore, I have always been a practicing Hindu, and most importantly, I shall always remain to be one.

• I am against religious conversion of any kind, and will never ever engage in any act that would endorse or propagate religious conversion. I am extremely mindful of the lineage that I belong to, and I work very hard to serve, as well as preserve the rich Carnatic tradition that has nurtured me all my life.

• I firmly believe that it is an unforgivable offense to be involved in an act that would tarnish the image of our rich tradition and heritage, community, society, nation, and mankind. I shall never ever commit or abet one myself.

As always, I count on all of your love and support to continue serving the only thing I have known and lived for – Music.

With Love,
Nithyasree Mahadevan

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is one more post in FB which is well compiled.
Gist: There has been no morphing of Thyagaraja's or other kritis. Samanamevaru cannot be taken as applicable oly to one specific deity. There was no intention, direct or indirect at conversion. It is far-fetched to argue that the singers singing these songs will help conversions. In films also the wordings from the kritis were taken and adapted. No one objected then. We must refrain from blaming the artists for having sung the songs on Christ.
Anuradha Kannan
4 mins ·
கர்நாடக சங்கீதமும், மதமாற்றமும்..

நமது கர்நாடக சங்கீதத்துறையைச் சேர்ந்த சில பாடகர்களை பற்றிய அவதூறு பேச்சுக்களும், ஏசல்களும் சோஷியல் மீடியா எங்கும் வலம் வருகிறது. ஹிந்து மதத்தைச்சேர்ந்த ஒருவர் ஹிந்துக் கடவுள்கள் அல்லாதவர்களைப் பாடுவது தவறு என்று கொடி பிடிப்பது எந்த விதத்தில் சரி ? அவர்கள் தியாகராஜர் க்ருதியையும் தீக்ஷிதர் க்ருதியையும் மாற்றிப்பாடியதாக பொய்யான குற்றச்சாட்டு வேறு. தியாகராஜரின் க்ருதியின் ராகத்தை அப்படியே காப்பி அடித்திருந்தாலோ அல்லது அவரின் பாடலில் ராமனை நீக்கிவிட்டு ஏசுவை திணித்திருந்தாலோ அது தவறு. கண்டிக்கத்தக்கது. சமானமெவரு என்ற தெலுங்கு வார்த்தை தியாகராஜருக்கு மட்டுமே சொந்தம் என்றோ அல்லது அவர் பாடிய ராமரை மட்டுமே அது குறிக்கும் என்று நினைப்பது எவ்வளவு மூடத்தனம் !

எத்தனை எத்தனை மத போதகர்களை போற்றிப்பாடிய பாடல்களை நாம் கேசட் வாயிலாக கேட்டிருக்கிறோம்? காசு படைத்திருக்கும் சில ஆசிரம வாதிகளை போற்றி பலர் கர்நாடக சங்கீத ராகங்களில் பாடிய போது நாம் எதிர்ப்பு தெரிவிக்கவில்லையே? இவ்வளவு ஏன், நம் அன்றாட பூஜையில் இடம் பெறும் கந்த சஷ்டி டியூனிலும், கமலாகுச எனத் தொடங்கும் வேங்கடேஸ்வர ஸ்தோத்ரம் டியூனிலும் சினிமா பாடல்கள் வெளிவந்த பொழுது நாம் ஏன் அதை எதிர்கவில்லை ? அதை இசையமைத்தது, பாடியது,அதில் நடித்தது எல்லாம் ஹிந்துக்கள் என்பதாலா ? அல்லது அது பவர்ஃபுல் மீடியம் என்பதாலா ? அதை அல்லவா நாம் எதிர்த்திருக்க வேண்டு்ம் இப்படி சங்கீதத்தை ஜீவாதாரமாகக் கொண்டவர்களையா எதிர்ப்பது ?

கர்நாடக சங்கீத ராகங்கள் அனைவருக்கும் பொதுவானவை என்பது என் கருத்து. வலஜ் ராகத்தில் நாகூர் ஹனிஃபா பாடிய ஈச்சை மரத்து இன்ப சோலையில் கேட்டிருக்கிறீர்களா ? ஏசுதாஸ் பாடிய பீலு ராகப்பாடல் அல்லா கிருபா அஞ்சன் கேட்டிருக்கிறீர்களா ? இவற்றில் இருக்கும் சங்கீதத்தை ரசிக்க முடிந்த, ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள முடிந்த நம்மால் ஏன் நம் மதத்தைச் சேர்ந்த ஒருவர் வேறு மதத்தை போற்றிப்பாடுதை ஏற்க முடியவில்லை.

ஏசுவை பாடுவதை என்னால் ஏற்க முடியவில்லை என்றால் நான் அதை கேட்பதை தவிர்க்க வேண்டுமே அன்றி பாடுபவரை பாடக்கூடாது என்று எப்படிச் சொல்லலாம். அதுவும் நாம் காசு கொடுத்து கேட்கும் மேடைக் கச்சேரியில் அதை அவர் பாடாதபொழுது. அப்படியே அதை அவர் பாடினாலும் கேட்பதும் கேட்காததும் நம் விருப்பமாக இருக்க வேண்டுமேயன்றி அவரை கட்டாயப்படுத்தும் உரிமை நமக்கு இல்லை அல்லவா?

மேலும், இதை பாடியவர்கள் அனைவரையும், அல்லது இந்தப்பாடல்களின் மூலமாக மற்றவர்களை அவர்கள் க்ருஸ்துவர்களாக மதம் மாற்றிவிடுவார்கள் என்பது எத்தகைய வாதம் ? அப்படிப்பார்த்தால் இந்த ராகங்களுக்கும், பாடல்களுக்கும் மத உணர்வைத் தூண்டக்கூடிய ஒரு சக்தி உண்டென்றால், நூற்றுக்கணக்கான ஆண்டுகளாக ஒலித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும் இந்தப்பாடல்களை கேட்டுக் கொண்டிருக்கும் ஹிந்துக்கள் மதம் மாறியிருக்கவே கூடாதே. எனவே கர்நாடக சங்கீதம் மதமாற்றத்திற்கான ஒரு சாதனம் என்ற எண்ணத்தை புறம் தள்ளி பாடகர்களை த்வேஷிப்பதை நிறுத்த வேண்டும் என்பது என் தாழ்மையான வேண்டுகோள் !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That is well said by Smt Nithyasree, but it might have been better not to sink to the level of the dissent mongers by even answering them.

Anyway, that was her decision, and she has acted accordingly.