Request for the meaning-Ekadanta vinAyakam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
shrinik

Request for the meaning-Ekadanta vinAyakam

Post by shrinik »

Request for the meaning of Ekadanta vinAyakam bhajAmi composed by shri oothukadu venkata kavi.

Ekadanta vinAyakam bhajAmi
raagam: nATa
36 calanaaTTai janya
Aa:S R3 G3 M1 P D3 N3 S
Av: S N3 P M1 R3 S

taaLam: tripuTa
Composer: OotukkaaDu VenkaTasubbaiyyar
Language: Tamil

pallavi

Ekadanta vinAyakam bhajAmi mAnasa Isha priyakara tanujam guruguha vinutam anisham
anupallavi

nAgaratna maNi kuNDalAnkrtam nava vyAkaraNa paNDitAdi pUjitam yAga yOga japatapa dhyAnAdi
kArya vara prasiddham sakala lOka pAlakam sangIta shAstra rAga tALa bhAvapradam sadAnanda sahitam
caraNam

mAtanga mukha candrabimba vadanam mahA tripurasundarI nandanam ATankamukha bhakta manOratha abhISTa vara prdAyakam sundaram nAda lOlam nirAmaya kOsham naLina vilOcana ravikOTi prakAsham vEda nigama sakalAgama sannuta vitaraNa guNashIlam bAlam vEda vEdAnta bOdhaka caturam vyAsa vinuta mahanIyam vAram vAram vAram

Lakshman

Re: Request for the meaning-Ekadanta vinAyakam

Post by Lakshman »

The song is in Samskrt.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Let me try - corrections welcome.

Ekadanta vinAyakam bhajAmi mAnasa = I worship (bhajAmi) the one-tusked (Enadantam) vinAyaka in my mind (mAnasa).
ISa priyakara tanujam = the beloved (priyakara) son (tanujam) of Siva
guruguha vinutam aniSam = Continually (aniSam) praised (vinutam) by muruga (guha) and all preceptors (guru) [1].

nAgaratna maNi kuNDalAlaMkRtam = one who is adorned (alaMkRtam) with earrings (kuNDala) encrusted with jewels (maNi), including the precious one from the cobra (nAgaratna) [2].
nava vyAkaraNa paNDitAdi pUjitam = one who is worshipped (pUjitam) by scholars (paNDita) and others (Adi) well-versed in the 9 (nava) forms of grammar/scriptures (vyAkaraNa)
yAga yOga japatapa dhyAnAdi kArya vara prasiddham = One who is exemplary (vara) and famed (prasiddham) in the acts (kArya) of meditation (dhyAna), recitation/chanting (japa), austerities (tapa), sacrificial offerings (yAga), yOga, and other forms (Adi) of worship
sakala lOka pAlakam = The sustainer/protector (pAlakam) of the entire (sakala) world (lOka)
sangIta shAstra rAga tALa bhAvapradam = The granter (pradam) of meaning/essence (bhAva) to the science (SAstra) of music (sangIta)
sadAnanda sahitam = who is always (sadA) in the company of (sahitam) of bliss (Ananda)

mAtanga mukha candrabimba vadanam = The elephant (mAtanga)-faced (mukha) one with a visage (vadanam) that is like the full moon (candrabimba)
mahA tripurasundarI nandanam = the son (nandanam) of pArvati (mahA tripura sundari)
Atankamukha bhakta manOratha abhISTa vara prdAyakam = The fierce (Atanka mukha) [3] one who grants (pradAyakam) boon (vara) desired and wished (abhISTa) by devotees (bhakta) in their hearts (manOratha).
sundaram nAda lOlam nirAmaya kOsham naLina vilOcana ravikOTi prakAsham = Handsome one (sundaram), one who enjoys (lOlam) music/sound (nAda), one whose body/complexion (kOSam) is free-from any blemish or illness (nirAmaya), one whose eyes (vilOcana) are like lotuses/water-lillies (naLina), and one who is as resplendent (prakASam) as countless (kOTi = crores) Suns (ravi).
vEda nigama sakalAgama sannuta vitaraNa guNashIlam = One of sterling character (guNaSIlam) who grants access to (vitaraNa) and is worshipped by (sannuta) by all the scriptures (vEda, nigama, sakala Agama)
bAlam vEda vEdAnta bOdhaka caturam = a young boy (bAlam) who is accomplished/clever (caturam) to teach/expound on (bodhaka) the very essence of the vEdas (vEda vEdAnta)
vyAsa vinuta mahanIyam = the great one (mahanIyam) that even the sage vEda vyAsa praises (vinuta)
vAram vAram vAram (Ekadanta vinAyakam bhajAmi mAnasa) = (I worship the one-tusked vinAyaka in my mind) again, and again, and yet again (vAram, vAram, vAram)

[1] Use of guruguha that predates Sri MD - I assume it means something very similar to Sri MD's use of the words
[2] Indian myth believes that the head of the cobra carries a 'jewel' - a very precious jewel that grants wisdom - anatomically, this may be analogous to the snake's pineal glad
[3] Atanka mukha - a face that induces fear, perhaps? I have translated this akin to the idea of natEtarAdi bhIkaram (nata itara Adi bhIkaram - one who is fearsome to those that do not worship him) from Adi Sankara's gaNESa pancaratnam - In this kRti Atanka mukha, could, alternately, be an adjective for the bhakta whose desires ganEsa is described as fulfilling
Last edited by rshankar on 13 Aug 2018, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Great job, as usual, rshankar.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Beautiful.

Thanks for the lovely translation.

Regards.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Ravi - very nice translation.

Atanka means fear or worry. So I think Atanka-mukha refers to devotees who are filled with worry ( which then Ganesha removes by granting what they wish for)

Also, vitaraNa guNashIlam would mean one whose nature is to be very generous. (vitarana meaning giving liberally)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you for the clarifications, Rajani!

shrinik

Post by shrinik »

vow...thanks to all of you for such a great help...my humble pranams to all