OS Thyagarajan in KGS 12/9/18

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

OS Thyagarajan in KGS 12/9/18

Post by CRama »

Started with Thathuvam ariya tarama

CRama

Re: OS Thyagarajan in KGS 12/9/18

Post by CRama »

Swaram at mathi sekaran magane

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Isha Pahimam s@Isha Pahimam
Varali alapana

vijay.siddharth

Karuna Elagante
ns@paramathmudu

vijay.siddharth

Brndavani A

vijay.siddharth

Kamalapta Kula

vijay.siddharth

Eti Yochanalu - Kiranavali

vijay.siddharth

Bilahari alapana

vijay.siddharth

Smara Sada Manasa
ns@garuda tureram kanaka suchelam

vijay.siddharth

Tani

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Accompaniments?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 18:38 Started with Thathuvam ariya tarama
Crama
Please come home with the song list take your time put the song list and write a review. The SMS review vendAm that too from you.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

nice to see Smarasada manasa coming back to concert after a long time

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, First I thought of live updates- for a change. Then I understood it is not my cup of tea. As you wished, here is the brief review.

It was an excellent concert by OST. A traditional one with abundant manodharmam and stage craft embedded in it. After the invocation song on Vinayaka, OST leashed on straight to Eesa Pahimam- without any raga alapana. The kriti was well presented with the sangatis and pepped up with sprightly mel kala swaram. Varali was the first ragam taken up- very elaborate exploring the depth and breadth of the ragam and the song Karunaela kante- popularized by his Paramaguru Semmangudi was presented with authenticity. Spirited Neraval at Paramathmudu Jeevathmudu okade and following swaras were much enjoyable. The main ragam Bilahari was presented giving the due respect for the main ragam- a shift from the structure for Bilahari as a sub main- and the kriti Smarasada Manasa of Swati Tirunal was a total surprise from OST. Customary neraval at Garuda turangam and the swaram were excellent.

Mullaivasal Chandramouli was adequate and the Percussion team of K.Jayachandra and Nerkundram sankar teamed well.
This was a well attended concert. The Kamakoti Hall was 75% full. The concert for two hours.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 13:25
This was a well attended concert. The Kamakoti Hall was 75% full. The concert for two hours.
crama
06:30 pm is the start what was the end time.

vijay.siddharth

8:30pm

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

For the same 2 hours not even 2 and half hours , is there enough music where you feel like spending and also attending . Cmon SKGS you can take it to atleast to 9PM as it is a paid concert.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, Today there was good audience turnout. After the concert one Mami lamented - why the concert could not go upto 9 P.M.

But till yesterday, when the audience response was so indifferent- daily about 12-15 people, what enthusiasm the artistes or the organisers will have for conducting the concert for three hours. Imagine the big KGS hall with 12 people scattered here and there. For Bhushany Kalyanaraman, there were two people while it started. So the music atmosphere is much changed. Is it because of TV serials or traffic problems or not ready to shell out money for tickets. A thing to ponder.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 20:09 Rajesh, Today there was good audience turnout. After the concert one Mami lamented - why the concert could not go upto 9 P.M.

But till yesterday, when the audience response was so indifferent- daily about 12-15 people, what enthusiasm the artistes or the organisers will have for conducting the concert for three hours. Imagine the big KGS hall with 12 people scattered here and there. For Bhushany Kalyanaraman, there were two people while it started. So the music atmosphere is much changed. Is it because of TV serials or traffic problems or not ready to shell out money for tickets. A thing to ponder.
About 8 years back when I was there for a CCA concert of vizianagaram D vardhini, when she started only I was there.She just started on dot time . Then 4 or 6 joined after the end of the first or second number . That review is there somewhere here .When there is one rasika let them sing , period . Time and duration of concert is not related to live rasika count - Late MDR is a role model there.

If it is a evening concert where the night is open , it is a nirvana concert let the artist just perform that too when the thin audience has decided to pay I am atleast ok for 2 and half hours , 3 hours and 15 mins is ideal as i will get RTP and i have no clue how long the tani would be. What is the incentive to hear more live music -give more time period so that there is more creative burst which is always there with so many ragas,talas and moods .

If live concert and margazhi maha utsavam TV coverage content are identical, what is there for rasikas to invest time and money in going to sabhas . Certainly TV and more importantly free webcasting of live concerts from few over zealous patrons like parivadini and arkay are contributing to decline of rasikas in live sabhas. The measurement has to be done only in sabhas. We are also not having more early retired persons in sabhas (those who are 58 plus) as of 2018 when compared to 2000.

Looking at the hindu paper they have advertised Veena mahautsav at narada gana sabha , Jayanthi kumaresh (Bangalore ) followed by TN seshagopalan each 25 mins tomorrow or day after .Is there an incentive for a rasika to hear live concert in the name utsav where they perform just for 25 mins. I empathize Jayanthi and TNS, may be I will go as I have not heard even once mahavidwan TNS playing veena in a live concert.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 13 Sep 2018, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

TNS- one person who will play for one and half hours even though it is half an hour slot. That is why his is kept as the last slot. I have heard him play in Veena Utsav in Mudhra and NGS. He did not restrict to the slot timings.

CRama

Post by CRama »

CCA - The one sabha in December who continues to hold concert despite single digit audience. Mostly it is like that except some top stars. I have wondered why they should hold concert like that. Long time back once I wrote in rasikas that three sabhas- CCA, Bharat Kalachar and IFAS- it was in German Hall that year- could combine and organise in a better manner so that rasikas will not get divided. But in December, Bharat Kalachar gets good audience. But CCA- hmmm no chance. One artiste told me that while giving the concert slot, they tell the artiste- it is your responsibility to bring the crowd. We can only give the slot- but no guarantee of rasikas to hear your music.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Vani Mahal- The concerts attracted good crowd this Gokulashtami series. May be because it is non ticketed.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:53 Vani Mahal- The concerts attracted good crowd this Gokulashtami series. May be because it is non ticketed.
When i attended suryaprakash@sunday (decent count of crowd)that day you attended Vishnudev namboothiri which you took 4pm and the concert of TMK concert followed . Vani mahal has better access to reach home , the share autos etc. SKGS may be not having that much inflow of antha kalathu west mambalam as many have gone to US or moved to nanganallur. The bridge in vanimahal has helped the same bridge of SKGS is their bad luck. If there was say a 3 hour concert at skgs, i would have skipped suryaprakash@vanimahal and gone to TMK@SKGS.

Today veena utsav of 25 mins and there was one mambalam sisters and amrutha murali@ iit madras , anyway could not go out for concert as i had family commitment, i had plan to go to IIT. Today i expected better choices but it did not happen.