Code of Conduct - For posting in General Discussions

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sureshvv

Code of Conduct - For posting in General Discussions

Post by sureshvv »

I think it would be a good idea to adopt a code of conduct - for posting in the "General Discussions" forum. The other forums have very particular criteria and the Lounge can be designated free-for-all - participate at your own risk. So we could just start with this particular forum and see where it goes.

I will start with some recommendations and they can added to or edited by others.

1. No name calling - directly or indirectly
2. No race/caste/religion/gender baiting
3. No follow up posting by same individual - Please consolidate thoughts and make single post.
4. Stick to topic of thread. When in doubt, start new thread.

When the code of conduct is violated, any member can bring it up on the same thread and it should be resolved by author of said post.

vgovindan

Re: Code of Conduct - For posting in General Discussions

Post by vgovindan »

No 2.
When a senior musician, seemingly, takes up cudgels against a particular community, how this step could be possible? Actually that senior musician, in his enthusiasm to be seen as progressive, seems to lack the very niceties which you are recommending. Even some of his remarks about music - go to pravacanam if you want bhakti music - isn't it against the very musical traditions for which this forum is subscribing?
No one wants to discuss race/religion/caste - this is not a social reformation forum. But when connected with music, this will become an issue. Obviously, the social realities in the musical world - including so called 'tamizh-isai' (rather than isait-tamizh) has arisen in the context of a community. How to deal with the animosity outside?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

We have a very simple set of rules stated in the "Rules" section. It is more than sufficient. No need to belabor these (edited to soften what inadvertently sounded harsher). We don't need more specific rules, we just need to respect the fairly elementary rules we already have - from our side.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 14:57 2. No race/caste/religion/gender baiting
vgovindan wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 15:40 No 2.
No baiting means not claiming one to be superior to the others. I hope you wouldn't want to engage in such baiting.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Rasikas forum is for free expression of views and as such no code of conduct is required.In case posts go out of limits moderator can take action and delete posting.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Many are feeling that posts have gone out of limits and the moderators are not able to act quickly enough.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Just create two threads for contentious issues - Right Wing and Left Wing.

Christiaianization of Thyagaraja Kritis - Right Wing Concerns
Christiaianization of Thyagaraja Kritis - Left Wing Celebrations

Both sides agree not to get involved the other's thread and promise not to disturb the peace.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

What about "neutral and objective" people like me? :D

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vk and srkris,
For me the bigger irritation is not these kind of posts but the irrelevance avalanche of quantity of posts:

1. folks like shankarank are just spamming every thread with irrelevance .All his posts are not rude,not at all hate oriented but it is full of irrelevance and inconclusiveness, he does not ever feel even in one post where he thinks- let me not put my post but just watch and hear from others.He never ever thinks that he has already said the same idea/intent in some other post . That attitude is simply not there . At times he even replies to his own post with another paragraph and links . Where does he get an avalanche of hand granade links .quality will come only when quantity from irrelevance is moderated . Here i think the mods can apply a bit of assertion . The sad truth is this requires moderation with an user id as the target than rather finding contextual rules which are way too difficult to implement . What ever suresh vv has stated in post #1 is just not doable and even if done will antagonize some great posters and make them leave as there is lot of shade of gray.(you should remember many years back what happened to DRS) .I googled to find that there are ways to attack this deep technical problem.

1A. have an approval process for only that poster , that is what many do typically for early entrants , some moderation has to be done where only post approval that post will get published . VK and srkris may have jitters as there is more work, here there is a problem the approved post can be approved bit later (as srkris and vk have other job) so at times other posts will come and this avalance approved post will come bit later the thread may lose a bit of continuity.

1B. Bite the bullet create a group where you set the following permissions in the general discussions topic
Can start new topics - NEVER
Can reply to topics - NEVER
do this new group put shankarank in that group. Alternate between ALLOW and NEVER for few days . His avalanche will come down

1C. I saw few extensions like restricting the COUNT of users posts in forum. Unfortunately some custom script is available to restrict COUNT on a USER on only topic . What we need is restrict on COUNT of users post on REPLY to topic.For shankarank we can keep it to 2 per day. If i find it i will give it to you. Though i am jittery , hope it is done after a round of testing . we dont want ui changes that we did twice or thrice in the last 10 years where we lost some content text . In short what you need is to put an extension to have a COUNT moderated on a USER, USER is the key not for ALL users.

1B is a good option as it has no coding requirement , 1C is the best but it requires code changes .

Shankarank,
Sorry to be so blunt.mahavishnu few months back was right to say that your irrelevance and way too much posts are biggest headache for people participating.Quantity and typorhea is making many not to participate . i am agreeing to mahavishnu in full and many of us are only talking about you in offline .

See for yourself this data point (64 posts)
Most active topic: Christianizatiion of Tygaraja Kritis
(64 Posts / 2.75% of user’s posts)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi All,

Please tag my id with the @ symbol if you want to draw my attention, like this:
@srkris
I do not read all posts everyday, neither does VK. But if you tag me, it shows up on my notification and I can then follow it up.

I will be moving this thread to the 'forum use & development' section since this is a suggestion about the forum and not about CM.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

the @ symbol
Nice. Never knew this forum software supported that.

(I hate being called at-Nick! But the functionality is really useful, so, where it works, I don't mind)

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@srikris, Here is one more idea.

Ranters who tend to derail discussions by making irrelevant and unfocused posts with no clear point or conclusion, need to be given a post limit (1 or 2 posts per day only), and they cannot be allowed to keep posting more than 1 post a day in the same thread. These people are not rude, they are not trolls at all, nor do they have any foul intentions, they are not even controversial. Most likely they are senior citizens needing someone to talk to. But they have no idea how many readers are getting put off because their posts have no focus, like music without any shruti shuddham.

@rajeshnat, This limit is actually very generous, because even members with almost 5000 posts have an average of around 1.5 posts per day only. You yourself average only 2.5 posts per day. Arasi does 3.5 despite her being in another category of contribution altogether, while Nick is at 2.79 posts per day.

Do consider temporary bans on members repeatedly violating rules and throwing up flame threads or communicating even valid points in obnoxious ways, or using this place as their boxing arena.

We need to extend a little bit of tolerance towards some very old members because sometimes what they write is a consequence of age related decline.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I am against a post limit, even a targeted one. No self followup should be enough to cut down on noise.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ok, let's do it your way, and we'll see if we get more focused posts on the point.

In the meantime, someone has just put up a call for Bharat Sundar to get boycotted - regardless of their points and their feelings about religion or politics, I think we should close down any post calling for banning artistes or damage a musician's career. We may use rasikas to talk of artistes and like or not like the things they do, but we cannot allow it to be used as a weapon.

So I guess we have a list of what all we topics should avoid here now?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I would love to put a full stop to this entire discussion.

I'm not sure, though, that we can actually do that until the world has done so.

How to go on with sanity?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

If Srkris and VK are much behind in time and wake up only to see dissents from contrarians snowballed, should not we be having one another moderator? At least someone who can temporarily freeze a thread to preclude further damage until the senior moderators take permanent action?!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sure, we should have other moderators. Please nominate yourself if you would like to moderate and the existing moderators will review.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

The "Nominate Yourself" suggestion from the Site Admin has auto locked the discussion thread, it seems :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RSR

Post by RSR »

Nick H wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 04:08
the @ symbol
Nice. Never knew this forum software supported that.

(I hate being called at-Nick! But the functionality is really useful, so, where it works, I don't mind)
===================
Sir, what name you liketo be addressed by?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

just-nick :)

harimau

Post by harimau »

Nick H wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 04:05 just-nick :)
That is your nickname, I guess! :D