TMK at Georgetown University Intercultural Center (ICC) Auditorium

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Ranganayaki

Re: TMK at Georgetown University Intercultural Center (ICC) Auditorium

Post by Ranganayaki »

Bilahari wrote:

I think it is a perfectly valid point that the doubts are in our minds, and that they are doubts. I listened to the viruttam you posted as well as the porambOku song on YouTube, and I did enjoy both pieces. I do not understand Telugu and I am not religious (to put it mildly), so I find it difficult to appreciate the content of a lot of CM compositions. I did not have that problem at all with these pieces, which made them all the more enjoyable. It is a feeling of greater involvement with the art I rarely feel, and felt first listening to ohO kAlamE.

I also think that regardless of motivations we are responsible to musicians who are trying to make our art more inclusive and more expansive, and that alone merits support.

I will try to keep an open mind and listen to TMK, but I warn you that I am as human and flawed as he is, so my reaction may still remain coloured by my biases. :)
Wow! What an amazing post! How lovely! I don’t need that warning, it’s not about me or anyone keeping tabs 🙂, you know that. I just wish you joy in the journey. I just want to add that I’m not hoping that you will end up liking TMK’s music specifically. Nor is it towards him that I want to “convert” you. I don’t do that, and I don’t have an agenda. If you really don’t like his music, it would be fair that as a CM Rasika, it should be because something about the music doesn’t appeal to you, and not his personality, appearance, attire, views, or anything extraneous. I feel compelled to add this because of the weird reaction I just received and I’m writing here for anyone to read.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It seems not possible for anything to do with TMK not to end up in controversy of an unhealthy kind on this forum.

Experience has taught me to mostly avoid his writing. Experience has taught me that his music can be amazing and I wish I had started listening to it earlier.

Is it possible that a person's views and behaviour would prevent me from attending their concerts? Certainly. I'm sure there is some sort of graph, with some sort of line on it, which might be called something like excremental? There is a point on that line that I would not want to go beyond.

Of course, we don't know all the artists we listen to. It is quite possible that some of those strangers might make good music but be rotten human beings. Better not to know, perhaps!

I do not find the non-music TMK excremental, by the way. Not at all, even when and if I disagree with him. Just tedious and an often-bad writer.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Nick H wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 03:58 Of course, we don't know all the artists we listen to. It is quite possible that some of those strangers might make good music but be rotten human beings. Better not to know, perhaps!
That is certainly the lesson I learnt in my very short stint as a concert sponsor.

Ranganayaki, I know you are not one to proselytize. But you and Suresh both make compelling arguments and life is a journey of self-improvement. :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajesh wrote first wrote: Thank you for your review. As usual it was very crystal clear and for a change no shuffle of words.
ranganayaki wrote second wrote: I don't follow your comment. What does "for a change no shuffle of words" mean? To me it sounds like the exact opposite of "As usual it was crystal clear."

I suppose you don't know this, but I am trained to dissociate artistic production from the artist. It is easy for me. It's actually hArder to accept that others can't do it and are quite unaware of this. That's why I appreciate Bilahari's straightforwardness (and self-awareness) in admitting to his inability to dissociate the two, and that's why I felt he MAY be able to give it a try. And that's also why I would never tell Harimau (or you) to open your eyes to the universality of all religions.

I refrain from making personal comments about your musical likes and dislikes, everybody on this forum does so. Kindly return the courtesy to others and don't get personal.
Ranganayaki,
I should have stated like this As usual it was very crystal clear and for a change no shuffle of words like a shuffle of numbers of a TMK concert ( varali alapana followed by soundararajam ashrayE). I should have communicated better . Shuffle of words is not from you.
For heavens sake donot accuse that I have not returned courtesy . Many many reviews even I am also questioned . Take it in the stride and move on.

Check my last review of TMK concert as you have to know from where I am coming. I wrote than that completeness of each step is important , i dont care about shuffle
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30787
Last edited by rajeshnat on 13 Sep 2018, 07:29, edited 4 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srinathk wrote: Song list notwithstanding, how was the actual concert?
Ranganayaki in post #12 wrote: It was a good concert, the experience was excellent, the music shone through, without too much of the usual acrobatics, and I didn't miss it.
Ranganayaki
You wrote the concert was good and the experience was excellent . For this reason only I have started writing every review and end with overall how it was (below mediocre, mediocre,good,very good,excellent,outstanding or anything in between like good to very good , ). Can you tell over all how the concert was ?? Here I feel there was wide shuffle of words :lol: , if the concert was good :) how can the experience be excellent :P ?. Please tell overall how it was??

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

bilahari wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 04:03 That is certainly the lesson I learnt in my very short stint as a concert sponsor.

Ranganayaki, I know you are not one to proselytize. But you and Suresh both make compelling arguments and life is a journey of self-improvement. :)
Bilahari,
You should put behind things and continue your thatha's yearly concert.

Apart from life being a journey of self-improvements
1. Life is also a journey of working backwards and also looking at numbers and really fundamentally changing our core .
2. Contextualize the recent 10 years numbers than rather looking at 2000 years numbers.
3. In doing #1, we should not worry about few sources when they make few nasty remarks .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 11:33
shankarank wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 09:36
Ranganayaki wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 10:42 Not heavy on neraval, korvais, kanakku, with the focus on ragas and songs and mood and emotion. Different from the showmanship we expect from everyone, but the music wasn't missing.
What's your point?
If you liked TMK's music, I have no problems. If they want to slow down and explore rAgA in sAhitya, that is fine. But that appreciation need not have to be reinforced by negative comments on other aspects, to give the impression that those things are regressive and whatever is being tried is new and progressive!

And as a critique, there is this form called viruttam, which is meant for verses that cannot be expressed in tALam, even if they still carry a sUkshma layam. Mixing up forms and bringing Alapana style into a well made kriti ( sanskriti) , is doing disservice to that form.

And that is just an informed criticism and not a curb against the artiste or listeners who enjoy it.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 10:31 TMK opened with a beautiful Vrittam on the Supreme One:

"Om Tatsat. Shri Narayana Tu. Purushottama Guru Tu. Siddha Buddhi Tu. Skanda -Vinayaka Savitaapaavaka Tu. Bramha Mazda Tu. ...-Shakti Tu. Eeshu Tu. Eeshupita Tu. Ramakrishna Tu. Raheem-TaoTu. Rudra-Vishnu Tu. Vishnu Purana Krishna Tu. ... Akaala Nirbhaya Aatma Linga Tu.. Om Tatsat!! "

He segued into the kriti with a few "baaro" added at the end of the Vrittam.. Rk Shriramkumar and Arun Prakash were delightful musical extensions of TMK's sensitive voice, also in the slow kalpanaswarams which I almost didn't notice for what they were, it was just music 😊.

This was simple and fundamental truth (with a capital T) just simplicity and beauty... Primed by the message of Oneness with all the various words for the Absolute, I had an instantly spiritual response with the mention of Ramakrishna, almost as though I was in deep meditation myself, it had never happened before! I don't have words for it, "transported" is not quite it. I was very much present, but enveloped by the music, my mind was - secluded!! Then the song ended, and the doors opened with a bang it seemed, and all the late-comers who could not enter during the first piece charged in like rhinos to my mind, and my mood was destroyed.

The Kharaharapriya was very nice, not much to say about it, except that I couldn't help thinking what a great team they were. There were moments of silence, the kind TMK seems to quietly enjoy in the middle of his music and his team know just what to do.. Just play a note, or be quiet, and play nothing... KAP plays a soft basic beat and knows the value and power of mridangam silence in a concert, such a relief after years of mostly continuously noisy mridangists! Neraval at " Sakala Mahitendra Neelamani Nibha Shareera Paahi Saketa Naayaka." The neraval segued into swaras, elaborating around the upper rishabha, with a very quick koraippu and the violinist taking the lead for sarvalaghus, seamlessly followed by TMK's with the mridangam alternating between fine and strong sound. The piece ended with a short solo by the mridangist with a simple korvai ending without too much fanfare.

Shankarabharanam Taanam.. I was aware this time not to be surprised by the absence of an alapana and not to expect a Pallavi or anything in Shankarabharanam following it. And when you don't have those expectations, it is very easy to adjust when the kutcheri does not follow the usual predictable lines, but presents so much other beauty to experience.

The Taanam came to a rather simple end and I was reminded of some other inspired Taanam endings, which this one didn't have, but it was all right. He asked the audience to show how many of us knew Malayalam, and some people raised hands, and he says to laughter,"Ok, first thing you do is to excuse my Malayalam, and secondly you can tell your neighbor what the next song is about.." The beautiful song Kanivolum Kamaneeya Hridayam followed (in Shankarabharanam), and I had to google it to know the exact pallavi line. But it was clear that it was a song on Sri Jesus Christ. To be frank, the change was welcome, and jarred nobody's ears in the audience. He mentioned its credits as a film song.

I switched off for a moment feeling a little bored by the choice of "Vinatasuta Vahana," and didn't bother to follow the lyrics and meanings on an app as I usually do.. It turned out to be a mistake, as I found out later, talking to our friend Musikapriya after the concert. He explained how Thyagaraja himself asks if there can be sukha in pleasant words (sammata vaakkulu) without the flame of differences in "modes of worship"/opinion being extinguished. I realized that it was not a random filler but a well-chosen song to assuage the hurt we all felt by the negative circumstances surrounding the concert, and to question the hatred brought on by differences. Thyagaraja recommends the company of the pure-hearted (sat-sangati) who make no matter of any difference and who instead offer the comfort (saukhyamu) of Oneness, rather than the flames of difference (meaning here adapted from Sri VGV's work). I missed that moment in the concert, and a mind more open would have helped me enjoy it more. 😊 I'm glad he chose to sing it.

The ragamalika alapana was fantastic, with the alternate segueing from raga back to raga getting progressively shorter and more seamless. A true joy, without the intellect seeming to intervene in a moment of musical meditation. The meditative mood was set with the Varali seeming to come from the depth of his heart. He remained in the lower reaches of the primary octave, without exploring the uttarangam , but the exploration took him lower into the mandara sthayee, to the lower P, then lower around the M, back up to the P, all very normal, but then he went lower and lower exploring each swara, all the way to the S and the atimandara N, staying there for a moment before gently returning up the lower octave to finish and hand it to RKSK who continued the meditation, also remaining in the lower octave. It was not just the audience who was touched, but Sri KAP and RKSK also appeared to be very moved. My heart filled up and I can only count on you all knowing the feeling that is not something to describe.

There was a ten-second hint of Brindavana Saranga before "Soundararajam Ashraye," beautifully done. This was followed by a short Tani. There were moments of laughter and appreciation during this, but the reason escaped me.

It was a little difficult for me to catch all the words of the Vrittam that began in Lathangi, but there is another version of it in different ragas at https://soundcloud.com/rajesh-garga/mud ... n-virutham .

Mudiatha tuyaril Naan moozhgikkidakkindren
Moorkam soozhnthida marugith Thavikkindren
Vidiyatha irul pothil vegu dooram kadanthu virainthu vanthu vanthu
ILamai valuvodu padiyeri padiyeri padam thoynthavan
Padum Paadu paarka Parvai thiruppu nee
Madiyeru mugameru malarpola vaadidum manamerumarul Neekku
Maathorubaagane.

He later announced that the Vrittam was a composition of PerumaaL Murugan.

The heartbreaking Porambokku Paadal was sung at someone's request.

It was a wonderful concert, truly a concerted effort of like-minded individuals there, from the family who took the initiative to organize it, to the artists, to the audience who supported it by showing up, each and every member..

Clearly, TMK who spoke to give thanks was touched, and he acknowledged the sudden change in significance that the concert took and said that it was not so much that it was a TMK concert that it needed to happen, but because a democracy is the only humanly made structure gives us the ability to share empathy and transcend differences. He said that as a democratic idea, this concert was extremely important.

About art, he made the point that we say that art transcends, going beyond religion, gender, but in fact art doesn't really "go" anywhere of its own accord. So if art really should create dialog and open or cross boundaries then human beings need to make the effort to make it happen. Artists and all who share art have to make the effort to make the conversation possible, regardless of the boundaries of religion, or gender.

The wonderful thing that came out of all the noise, he said, was that we all came together to do something. As you know, I agree heartily. He concluded, after thanking the people crucial to his tour, by saying, "Thank you very much, DC, you made it very special." It really was moving.
Coming back on track @Ranganayaki, this was an excellent review btw. Musically, T M Krishna offers an intense experience. Spend 3 hours in a concert of his, and you are overwhelmed by it. He has brought a certain intensity into his slow speed singing as well as a more 'free bird' approach to neraval - a fantastic imagination. Also he is an excellent collaborator with his team of artistes. From the racy days of overwhelming rounds of brighas, neravals and swaras, he has changed a lot in his manner of presentation, his concerts have become significantly more moving, but the intensity is still there, and how.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:06
If you liked TMK's music, I have no problems. If they want to slow down and explore rAgA in sAhitya, that is fine. But that appreciation need not have to be reinforced by negative comments on other aspects, to give the impression that those things are regressive and whatever is being tried is new and progressive!
Thanks for trying to explain and clarify. The first paragraph above made that part clearer, but the rest is still not clear to me.

I think you have misunderstood what I meant. I don’t think I said anything negative about any other type of concert in this post. I said it was different from the showmanship we normally expect. I didn’t say anything bad about the showmanship. In other contexts, I’ve appreciated the showmanship, and really enjoyed it. It’s different for different artists. I love TMK’s slow pace, just as I enjoy Abhishek Raghuram’s breakneck speed. I’m not sure where you got the idea of “regressive” and “progressive.” I didn’t say any such thing.
Mixing up forms and bringing Alapana style into a well made kriti ( sanskriti) , is doing disservice to that form.

I don’t know what you mean.. I didn’t discuss any such thing. Anyway it’s unclear. May be you can share a link to demonstrate this. Who does this to which kriti?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

SrinathK wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:23
Coming back on track @Ranganayaki, this was an excellent review btw. Musically, T M Krishna offers an intense experience. Spend 3 hours in a concert of his, and you are overwhelmed by it. He has brought a certain intensity into his slow speed singing as well as a more 'free bird' approach to neraval - a fantastic imagination. Also he is an excellent collaborator with his team of artistes. From the racy days of overwhelming rounds of brighas, neravals and swaras, he has changed a lot in his manner of presentation, his concerts have become significantly more moving, but the intensity is still there, and how.
Yeah!! You put words to it for me! It is truly intense as you say, he brings out emotion, he shows extreme sensitivity, he modulates - alternates power with finesse, adds moments of rest and silence.. it’s powerful! Did I say that I’ve only attended three concerts of his? All unforgettable. That’s what you hope to experience.

You seem to resonate with me also in how you view his evolution.

Thanks for enjoying my review 🙂. I enjoyed writing it.

Kartike

Post by Kartike »

Sarcasm is quite crass. Can we stay away from disbursing free polemics. Ranganayaki had an experience. And wrote about it. Cant we stay with the sharing, for some time ?

[/quote]

He forgot the Holy Ghost! Only Yesu and Yesu's Dad. (Not Joseph, but the Big Guy Up There). This is what happens when one goes to The School of J Krishnamurthy and Vivekananda College as opposed to a good Jesuit college like Loyola.
[/quote]

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Kartike wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 14:38 Sarcasm is quite crass. Can we stay away from disbursing free polemics. Ranganayaki had an experience. And wrote about it. Cant we stay with the sharing, for some time ?
He forgot the Holy Ghost! Only Yesu and Yesu's Dad. (Not Joseph, but the Big Guy Up There). This is what happens when one goes to The School of J Krishnamurthy and Vivekananda College as opposed to a good Jesuit college like Loyola.
[/quote]
[/quote]

seems like an avatar spun to support the cause of the reviewer and TMK :lol: :lol: :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Kartike wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 14:38 as opposed to a good Jesuit college like Loyola.
If only he had gone there, he would have known better! Instead he fell prey to some marxist ideology - typical of many educated brahmins!

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rajeshnat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 06:43 ( varali alapana followed by soundararajam ashrayE).
No.

It was a Varali-Mukhari Alapana, as a separate piece.

Soundararajam Ashraye followed a quick sketch of Brindavana Saranga. One did not at all get the impression of an irrelevant mix the way it is usually described. They were clearly separate pieces.

Also, All, that Varali Alapana was so good, I pleaded mentally at the end,”Please, please, don’t clap don’t clap don’t clap!!” But as you can guess, they did.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki,
You did not answer my point #55.
TMK is a fantastic varali singer, his masculine voice with deeper intonations will suit it very well.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:49 That said he does have an outlet for his ego, but it does not involve bending and shaping the music. It is his individuality that comes through when he discards the traditional paddhati. But that is a recent construct and is not inherent to the music., and in my view it is not sacrilegious to do so, and frankly it’s just what I wanted. The predictability was getting a bit boring to me.
Hey it is T.M.Krishna in the first place ( have you read? (read listened?)) who wants to dispel this fanciful notion that our music is some great ancient one! :lol:

It is a gross misunderstanding and a lack of appreciation of the inner spirit of that claim, that makes him make such diatribes. As though claiming that it is ancient is what that makes the nitwits and charlatans that form the literate population in India today as not "included" - i.e. the music is not inclusive. It promotes a disdain for the heritage , whether ancient or medieval or even prior generation (நீ உங்கப்பன் ஆத்தாளையே மதிக்கலேன்னா உனக்கு சங்கீதம் என்ன தேவை? கேடு??). Or at a minimum it wants to exploit the disdain for heritage to promote and market the music and earn that extra buck - all in the name of propagating the music, putting everybody who toiled under the bus!

Now you want to discover something inherent to music - that was "originally" there !! Where was it?? :evil: What a load of crock??

இத மாதிரி எத்தன பேருடா கிளம்பியிருக்கேங்க ?? உங்கள மாதிரி எத்தன பேர பாத்திருப்போம் ??
Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:49 May be you could set aside your doubts and give it a try for the music? After all, he is not less human than us, perfectly capable of failings. Why can’t we be generous and let him have his private failings?
What private feeling?? He is all over the naxal media writing columns? You cannot have the cake and eat it as well!

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 22:22

Hey it is T.M.Krishna in the first place ( have you read? (read listened?)) who wants to dispel this fanciful notion that our music is some great ancient one! :lol:
I don’t know what this has to do with anything I wrote. Further, I did say I don’t follow all of TMK’s writing. Now if YOU say something about his thoughts, you should substantiate it with a quote from him. Otherwise i am not going to bother to discuss it.

Regarding the next part of your post, which precedes the part where you quote me again (shown below), you’ve probably guessed that I won’t understand it.
Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:49 May be you could set aside your doubts and give it a try for the music? After all, he is not less human than us, perfectly capable of failings. Why can’t we be generous and let him have his private failings?
What private feeling?? He is all over the naxal media writing columns? You cannot have the cake and eat it as well!
I understood just your first three words there. You have misread me, take another look. I said “private failings.” Anyway that was specifically addressed to Bilahari, so don’t worry about it if you don’t enjoy reading to understand.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Ranganayaki wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:56 Regarding the next part of your post, which precedes the part where you quote me again (shown below), you’ve probably guessed that I won’t understand it.
I can clarify this quickly. Whoever is discovering Carnatic music today because of the splashing TMK, why did they ignore it before? Isn't it implied by his statements that it is only 400 years old ( said in a mocking retort to those who claim ancient origin), fact that younger generation were prepared by education system to hate the old , and anything old-fashioned is to be shun!

Haven't you heard this? May be the campus comfort did not expose you to outer world? ;)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 10:39
Ranganayaki wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 09:56 Regarding the next part of your post, which precedes the part where you quote me again (shown below), you’ve probably guessed that I won’t understand it.
I can clarify this quickly. Whoever is discovering Carnatic music today because of the splashing TMK, why did they ignore it before? Isn't it implied by his statements that it is only 400 years old ( said in a mocking retort to those who claim ancient origin), fact that younger generation were prepared by education system to hate the old , and anything old-fashioned is to be shun!
And this is a clarification!!? Yengeyavathu poi muttikkanum!!
Haven't you heard this? May be the campus comfort did not expose you to outer world? ;)
To be able to answer you, i must know what “this” refers to. And which campus do you mean? The one I grew up on? In your mind, if campus life had exposed me to the world, what would I have known? I’m quite curious to know what you are referring to.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 11:06 Ranganayaki,
You did not answer my point #55.
The NAtion Wants to Know :lol: :lol:

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

shankarank wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 22:22
Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:49 That said he does have an outlet for his ego, but it does not involve bending and shaping the music. It is his individuality that comes through when he discards the traditional paddhati. But that is a recent construct and is not inherent to the music., and in my view it is not sacrilegious to do so, and frankly it’s just what I wanted. The predictability was getting a bit boring to me.

It is a gross misunderstanding and a lack of appreciation of the inner spirit of that claim, that makes him make such diatribes. As though claiming that it is ancient is what that makes the nitwits and charlatans that form the literate population in India today as not "included" - i.e. the music is not inclusive. It promotes a disdain for the heritage , whether ancient or medieval or even prior generation (நீ உங்கப்பன் ஆத்தாளையே மதிக்கலேன்னா உனக்கு சங்கீதம் என்ன தேவை? கேடு??). Or at a minimum it wants to exploit the disdain for heritage to promote and market the music and earn that extra buck - all in the name of propagating the music, putting everybody who toiled under the bus!

Now you want to discover something inherent to music - that was "originally" there !! Where was it?? :evil: What a load of crock??

இத மாதிரி எத்தன பேருடா கிளம்பியிருக்கேங்க ?? உங்கள மாதிரி எத்தன பேர பாத்திருப்போம் ??
Ok, you're crossing a line now. Discussions and disagreements happen, but if you get more acerbic than this, we're going to have to give you an official warning. Your infinite grievances over a wide range of things notwithstanding, please control your anger and ranting.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Dear Moderator,

Those are sub-altern expressions in a place called Madurai - thats how we talk!! It sounds rude crossing the times! Anyways the forum access is precious to me. Nobody needs to agree with me. My intent is to put some seeds into their mind.

Truth has to stand on its own, there is no need my erudition!

Thank you!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

“Members' Stuff & Lounge” would be the suitable location for the posts from #39 to #72 (except, say, 54, 55, 64 & 65).

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rajeshnat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 06:55
srinathk wrote: Song list notwithstanding, how was the actual concert?
Ranganayaki in post #12 wrote: It was a good concert, the experience was excellent, the music shone through, without too much of the usual acrobatics, and I didn't miss it.
Ranganayaki
You wrote the concert was good and the experience was excellent . For this reason only I have started writing every review and end with overall how it was (below mediocre, mediocre,good,very good,excellent,outstanding or anything in between like good to very good , ). Can you tell over all how the concert was ?? Here I feel there was wide shuffle of words :lol: , if the concert was good :) how can the experience be excellent :P ?. Please tell overall how it was??
I thought about your question and comments, considered whether there was an inconsistency. I must say that I am totally comfortable with what I wrote. First of all, it is a matter of opinion that I have to use words of the same degree.

I hadn't said anything about the concert till then and I didn't want to say anything to evaluate it, till I had shared what I was writing out. But Srinath asked me a pointed question, and I am usually reluctant to give others an overall judgement. Because it is truly in my mind unimportant, because I can feel it was a great concert, and someone else can feel it was nasty. Just look at your own comment. I loved the Varali-mukhari, I didn't see for a second that it was followed by Soundararajam Ashraye. But if you been there, you would have seen it that way and hated it (which you are welcome to do). So I just don't feel comfortable saying a concert was good or bad - unless of course there were real problems like shruti, kalapramana, etc. so my approach is totally different from yours. I WILL NOT give my judgement like that. But Srinath asked pointedly and I was delaying my review, so I gave him my answer.

If you go back to any of my reviews, you may see that what I describe is always my experience. I give some opinions, but even those are clearly my opinions and not necessarily fact. I am far more comfortable telling you about my experience. So it was my reluctant answer to Srinath on the one hand, and my enthusiastic answer on the other. Your question seemed logical to me, and I did consider whether you were right.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Rajesh,
I like to give my experience and let the reader judge whether it was a concert they would enjoy. Now you won't like that concert. That is fine. So for you it's not a good concert, and I have no problems with that. But just because you don't like it for your good reasons, you are totally wrong to say that I am wrong to like it, you are wrong to say that I like it in spite of its being a bad concert, and it is only because I like TMK the person so much. That is a bad approach to discussing art. There is no objectivity in discussing art and if you think your reasons for liking or disliking something are correct, you will always be upset at me if I don't have the same opinion as you.

That is not the purpose of art. It can bring people together and we can talk about it even if we disagree. It would be such a wasted opportunity if you fling insults at someone who doesn't feel the way you do about music.

If you like mangoes and I hate them, you won't say I'm wrong, would you? Of course you might feel bad for me that I'm missing out on such a big joy, but you certainly wouldn't feel I'm misguided or my "judgement" is clouded, would you? It's exactly the same thing.

But if you don't like TMK's music because you don't like his views, then certainly your judgement of his music is clouded. You are welcome not to like his views, though, but that would be a totally different discussion.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Ranganayaki wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 19:13 Rajesh,
I like to give my experience and let the reader judge whether it was a concert they would enjoy. Now you won't like that concert. That is fine. So for you it's not a good concert, and I have no problems with that. But just because you don't like it for your good reasons, you are totally wrong to say that I am wrong to like it, you are wrong to say that I like it in spite of its being a bad concert, and it is only because I like TMK the person so much. That is a bad approach to discussing art. There is no objectivity in discussing art and if you think your reasons for liking or disliking something are correct, you will always be upset at me if I don't have the same opinion as you.

That is not the purpose of art. It can bring people together and we can talk about it even if we disagree. It would be such a wasted opportunity if you fling insults at someone who doesn't feel the way you do about music.

If you like mangoes and I hate them, you won't say I'm wrong, would you? Of course you might feel bad for me that I'm missing out on such a big joy, but you certainly wouldn't feel I'm misguided or my "judgement" is clouded, would you? It's exactly the same thing.

But if you don't like TMK's music because you don't like his views, then certainly your judgement of his music is clouded. You are welcome not to like his views, though, but that would be a totally different discussion.
OMG - The most complicated explanation / analysis / write up / justification etc etc. Cant understand a thing :shock: :shock:

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

All, I have to mention that I have written two posts, 74 and 75.

74 is my response to Rajesh. I added some general thoughts in 75, though I continue to address him.

I tried to be clear, but I appreciate that Ram1999 doesn't understand - it requires a shift in thinking to go from his approach to my approach.. I'm happy to discuss it with him, if he asks specific questions on what is not clear and if he promises an open, questioning mind and not have the mean and closed-minded approach of all of his posts. Of course he is welcome to dismiss my post as nonsense.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ranganayaki wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 18:49 So I just don't feel comfortable saying a concert was good or bad - unless of course there were real problems like shruti, kalapramana, etc. so my approach is totally different from yours. I WILL NOT give my judgement like that.
Agree. For a time, I used to give concerts an overall rating as well, but I found it led people to focus on that rating rather than my description of the experience, it caused undue hurt to musicians who used to write to me questioning my rating, and then I recognized that my rating was ultimately arbitrary, non-reproducible, had too much intra-operator variability. So I decided to just write about my experience, including both good elements and poor. I have written stinging reviews in the past that today I wish had been more measured, and that too is part of my widening experience in a complex world.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki
Thank you ,i thought you will not answer my question as between my question and your delayed answer, Our "Madurai Veeran Dallas Cowboy" avatar coming in ,I was assuming you are going to be bit furious even of my post . I was even thinking for a day or two that i should have not asked the same question again.

Your post #75 had a lot of shruthi bedham , I am glad for a change you wrote bit like me where I had to read atleast twice- a typical unranganayaki typecast .

Let us wrap up with this thread and have a nee nAma roopamulaku - Sowrashtram -T , atleast there will be a consensus with all rasikas and musicians that this greatest number of sadguru should only be sung last, last and only L A S T.

I am assuming you would have gone to Pantula rAmA concert in Maryland DC area last weekend. I would like to read your review , please take your time , make one post , no trailer needed. A year or two back you attended pantula but you did not write the post .If possible just give a review and towards the end just tell how the concert was overall(I prefer you to try once like me and if you donot like it leave it from next time).

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rajeshnat wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:08 Ranganayaki
Thank you ,i thought you will not answer my question as between my question and your delayed answer, Our "Madurai Veeran Dallas Cowboy" avatar coming in ,I was assuming you are going to be bit furious even of my post . I was even thinking for a day or two that i should have not asked the same question again.

Your post #75 had a lot of shruthi bedham , I am glad for a change you wrote bit like me where I had to read atleast twice- a typical unranganayaki typecast .
Rajesh, You know, it's true that I did not like some things you had said to me, and I expressed myself in response. It's done. But your question was fine.

I think I was clear in 75 and it is more Ranganayaki-like than anything 😊. But I have come to understand that many people have never been exposed to such views or such discipline and it might be difficult to understand. If I don't agree with you on anything, it automatically pits us against each other, that's how a lot of people on Rasikas function, especially Harimau and Ram1999, but so many really. That's why I say that Ram1999 needs a shift in his thinking to be able understand the totally simple and elementary thing I said about discussing art. But I hope that after you read again you are now able follow.

Let us wrap up with this thread and have a nee nAma roopamulaku
-

This is the part I don't like about some people saying lets wrap up now when we are in the process of a sane discussion. Why would you do that? What you are doing is just like how you feel about singing mangalam in the middle. How come you tell everyone here it's time to stop discussing? If no one has anything to say threads will go to sleep on their own. But I personally would really appreciate it if you weighed in when someone is being nasty. You SHOULD participate in stopping them, but you don't.
I am assuming you would have gone to Pantula rAmA concert in Maryland DC area last weekend. I would like to read your review , please take your time , make one post , no trailer needed. A year or two back you attended pantula but you did not write the post .If possible just give a review and towards the end just tell how the concert was overall(I prefer you to try once like me and if you donot like it leave it from next time).
Yes I was there last night. The last time I attended Pantula's concert, I did write a review. You then really wanted to hear the RTP, and I mailed you the CDs that I got from the temple. Remember now? Not sure if you listened to it.

Why do you want me to evaluate like you when I just explained to you that I DONT do it that way for reasons that are meaningful to me?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Let us wrap up with this thread and have a nee nAma roopamulaku - Sowrashtram -T , atleast there will be a consensus with all rasikas and musicians that this greatest number of sadguru should only be sung last, last and only L A S T.
Have to specify that I won't be in that consensus. Any time is apt and auspicious for singing a mangalam. Mangalam is traditionally required for the end, because you must say bye with good wishes and prayers for well-being, but it is appropriate to sing it at any time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ok keep this,thread as long as it goes no probs there. Looking forward for vidushi pantula review of yours. That subhapantuvarali of pantula that u passed to me few years back is one of the finest subhapantuvarali i heard.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: Let us wrap up with this thread and have a nee nAma roopamulaku - Sowrashtram -T , atleast there will be a consensus with all rasikas and musicians that this greatest number of sadguru should only be sung last, last and only L A S T.
Ranganayaki wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:16 Have to specify that I won't be in that consensus. Any time is apt and auspicious for singing a mangalam. Mangalam is traditionally required for the end, because you must say bye with good wishes and prayers for well-being, but it is appropriate to sing it at any time.
Mangala krithi like sri kamalAmbikE can be sung any where ? But if the krithi is nee nAma roopamulaku in sowrAshtam as i stated above, they have to be placed only L A S T.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Mangala krithi like sri kamalAmbikE can be sung any where ? But if the krithi is nee nAma roopamulaku in sowrAshtam as i stated above, they have to be placed only L A S T.

So do you have any arguments to support what you are saying?

Otherwise, I just agree to disagree.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Ranganayaki wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 11:24
To be able to answer you, i must know what “this” refers to. And which campus do you mean? The one I grew up on? In your mind, if campus life had exposed me to the world, what would I have known? I’m quite curious to know what you are referring to.
Oh Wren and Martin Ranganayaki madam! I broke the paragraph! oh! okay! Your statement reeks of Clintonism - "Depends on the meaning of what is is?" He became the butt of jokes! You don't read in between lines? :lol: :lol:

Ok I get what you mean! ;)

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

OK. It's really time for the mangalam. Closing the thread.