song list on lord muruga.

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

he all....

can you all suggest me with some krithis on Lord Muruga. there is a beautiful muruga temple in the vicinity of my house and the management wanted some exclusive muruga compilation to be played regularly. all that they have now is some light jingle like devotional which is fraught with some pep but no bhakthi. I cannot make more then a few ... 5 or 6. there is some bharathiar good ones too i guess.

I would appreciate all your generous inputs so that I shall find them and make CDs of them

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

panniranDu kaiyanukku .. a dozen tamil songs

1) VandaruLvAy murugA - dEvamanOhari - aadi - PaapanAsham Shivan
2) KandA vandaruL - aabhEri - aadi - PaapanAsham Shivan - In praise of TiruchendUr deity.
3) MurugA murugA - kAnaDaa - aadi - Subramanya BharatiyAr
4) tAmadamEn swAmi - tODi - aadhi(2 kaLai) - PaapanAsham Shivan
5) Varavazhaikka unnai - aabhEri - aadi - PeriyasAmy thooran
6) MurugA tirumAl marugA - harikAmbOji - roopakam - Tanjore Shankara Iyer - In praise of Pazhani deity.
7) MurugA murugA - saavEri - miSra chApu - PeriyasAmy thooran
8) PadumanAbhan marugA - naagaswarAvaLi - aadi - PaapanAsham Shivan
9) SharavaNa bhava guhanE - kannaDa - aadi - PaapanAsham Shivan
10) SharavaNa bhava enum - ShanmukhapriyA - aadi - PaapanAsham Shivan
11) UrugAdA manam - ChakravAham - aadi - Baalasundara kavi
12) MOhana paN pADi - Raagamalika - aadi - N.S.Chidambaram

va

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Sri subrahmanya namaste - Kambhoji - dikshitar
Karthigeya gangeya - todi - papanasam sivan
tanigai valar saravanabhava - todi - papanasam sivan?
Subrahmanyena rakshitoham - suddha danyasi - dikshitar
ka va va - varali - papanasam sivan
vilayada idu nerama - shanmukha priya - (popularized by Maharajapuram santhanam)
va muruga va - begada - spencer venugopal (popularized by DKJ)
innum paramukham - begada - doraisamy kavirayar (popularized by vijay siva)

and lot more...

-hari
Last edited by s_hari on 24 Jul 2009, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

thanks thanks i am expecting the lot more

mohan

Post by mohan »

See this thread for Dikshitar krithis on Subramanya
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... mukha.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is a file I uploaded for Umesh - songs on muruga organized by language, from my database:
http://rapidshare.com/files/232324705/S ... _Umesh.zip

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Re; Hari's list of songs on Muruga-- the piece Vilayada Idhu Nerama was composed by Mr.T.N. Bala of Philadelphia a disciple of Madurai Mani Iyer. An interesting anecdote- Mr. Santhanam popularised the song and in the Anupallavi, he used to render the sahitya modified-- Shalaithen Janmam Eduthu Shalaithen when Mr. Bala had originally composed Ilaithen Janmam eduthu Ilaithen( slimmed instead of tired).Mr. Bala I believe was slightly upset that the artiste--although a very good friend-had taken liberties with his lyrics. When he questioned Maharajapuram Santhanam WHY he changed the lyric Santhanam with his typical razor-sharp- wit is believed to have told Mr.Bala If I say I have slimmed(with my generous body!) would people not have laughed,hence I changed it to Kalaithen instead of Ilaithen!! Quick repartee as only musicians of the calibre of maharajapuram could muster!! It is well-known how Quick-witted the Senior Maharajapuram was in his repartees!!-an anecdote about the Senior. Once for a National program concert in Delhi during December when it was quite cold he gave a concert for which he was accompanied by Ramnad Eswaran(brother of Ramnad Krishnan the vocalist and Ramnad Raghavan the mridangist) on the Mridangam. As readers--especially who are Mridangists would know mridangam " ropes"(made of cowhide and called Vaar in Tamil) lose their tension frequently because of the cold. Eswaran was struggling with the instrument when M seems to have commented "Enda Eswara, Inda Mridangathukku Pona Warle--i.e. last World War-- pidichutho, meaning whether the restringing took place at the time of the last War!! Spontaneous and witty!!!

M.K.Ramasubramanian(Ramesh).

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Smt.Aruna Sairam has sung a concert full of songs on Lord Muruga. Here is the playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 544E24AAA6

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I have downloaded your file but cannot open it! I don't know if your list has any of my songs. Here are a couple of them:
mayilERi oyilAi varuvAi murugA in cArukESi from my Arasi CD
vaLLi nAykanE vA in bilahari which can be found on our forum, both sung by Sumitra Nitin.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Last edited by VK RAMAN on 25 Jul 2009, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

Also, There are a lot of the popular KBS Songs (Thanithirundhu in thodi is my favorite).

Kaanthamam (Sindhubhairavi) is a very sweet song on Muruga. Smt.Aruna Sairam has rendered it very nicely.

Saravanabhava ennum (Shanmukha priya) is a very beautiful all time favorite. I like this song sung by many artists, but would like to mention the one on youtube by Sudharagunathan,

Like soneone else mentioned, 2007 MMU ARUNA SAIRAM sang about Muruga. All songs sung by her are very very nice.It is also on you tube.

I like the Muruga Muruga yendral (Saveri) , rendered by MSS, And Bombay Jayashree(On you tube).Fore some reason, Aruna Sairam's rendition of this song is not as good.(in the MMU 2007 ).

Also, I would like to mention the Swaminatha Ashtakam , Skandha Shashti Kavacham, Skandhaguru kavacham, and Shanmukha kavacham slokas.

There is a song 'saravana bhava samayamu idhi ra' in pushpalatika - a very nice song.

The song Nadha vindhu kaladhi is very good.I like the version sung by Vijaya siva (on you tube), and also by MSS, And Sudha Raghunathan.

The evergreen ' Muthai Tharum' , (I actually like Kunnakudi's violin rendition on youtube) is a good song from thirupugazh.

Also , there are a lot of popular T.M.SOUNDARRAJAN SONGS about muruga. very popular in TN, Played in all busses,taxis etc early morning.

There is a song I am particularly fond of 'Marudamalai mamaniye' sung by Madurai Somu. This is a very nice song.I like Kunnakudi's violin rendition of this very much as well.

Also, I would like to mention this website - www.kaumaram.com for more information about the God kARTHIKEYA.

Om Sharavana Bhava.

Vallaki.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

vallaki wrote:There is a song 'saravana bhava samayamu idhi ra' in pushpalatika - a very nice song.
pasupatipriyA not puspalatika..

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

keerthi wrote:
vallaki wrote:There is a song 'saravana bhava samayamu idhi ra' in pushpalatika - a very nice song.
pasupatipriyA not puspalatika..
Thanks for the correction

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

great thanks coolkarni and vkraman and all. i now have longer than expected collection. i gave the temple trustee today. he was more than happy. he said he could not manage more than 5 or 6 songs. alas he does not know our rasikas.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Ganesh_mourthy: You reminded me a story about a fisherman who was fishing and a spectator was watching the fisherman throwing away big fishes and keeping the small fishes. When the fisherman was questioned why he is throwing away big fishes he answered that all he has is a small pan. :D and =D

suneethaprakash

Re:

Post by suneethaprakash »

rshankar wrote: 24 Jul 2009, 16:35 Here is a file I uploaded for Umesh - songs on muruga organized by language, from my database:
http://rapidshare.com/files/232324705/S ... _Umesh.zip
This link doesnt work!!! Is there a different link we can check pl?
Tks