Palghat Ramprasad, Parivadini, 13/Oct/2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Palghat Ramprasad, Parivadini, 13/Oct/2018

Post by sankark »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ey_HhYars

with HNBhaskar, VijayNatesan & AnirudhAthreya

in RS Hall

Wow. Superb swarams for saraswathi, especially the riri ending play and return with HNB, mukhAri (Emani nE) shine bright.

rajeshnat

Re: Palghat Ramprasad, Parivadini, 13/Oct/2018

Post by rajeshnat »

Palghat Ramprasad@Parivadini on Oct 13th,2018
--------------------------------------------
Vocal : Palghat Ramprasad
Violin : HN Bhaskar
Mrudangam : Vijay Natesan
Kanjira : Anirudh Athreya

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow ;Ticketed concert
Day/Duration : Saturday/2 hours and 20 mins - 06:25 to 08:45pm
sabha/Hall : ragasudha hall
Organizers : Parivadini, Navarathri Series

1. erA nApai - todi - Patnam
2. taayE tripurasundari - suddasAveri - PT
6 mins neraval in kAmadhenu vaNangum
swaras for 6 mins

3. hiranmayeem (R,N) - lalitA - MD
6 mins alapana
neraval (O gosh I forgot to note the line), i am assuming geetha vadhaya , it is for 5 mins

4. Bharathi Devi taayE (RS,S) - saraswati?? - PD
2 mins alapana with no return
5 mins swaras

5. karunanIdhi taayE(raaga sketch) - bowli - psivan
6A. emani nE (R N S T) - mukhari - SS
11 mins alapana and 7 mins violin return
neraval for sAmajA gAmini saralochana for 7 mins
13 mins swaras
6B. tani for 18 mins

7. AnnapoornE visAlakshi - shyamA - MD
8. shree kamalAmbikE - shree ragam - MD

9. seethA pathiki haratheerE - shuruTTi - T

The vocalist name is palghat ramprasad. I have erroneously put in the past in few reviews as palghat ramaprasad or palakkad ramprasad/ramaprasad. WIth the eye on gooogle index , the perennial marketing weapon facebook , let this artist name get indexed right . Vidwan vocalist name is Palghat Ramprasad.

As expected all the krithis were on Goddesses as the occassion was navarathri. What a treat it was .The last time i heard i felt hey let palakkad bit not sag and run with bit more pyrotechnics after hearing him in velachery .If my memory is still right that day he sang a rare main krithi akhilandeshwari in dwijavanti which was navarathri trailer.In this concert palghat indeed did not sag.

The first erA nApai was a little of excess percussion overdrive , i would have preferred a bit more balance in relative volume , i was more hearing ramprasad bit in between the overdrive sound of other accompanist. The second taayE tripura sundari was a testimony for me to change my mindset that Ramprasad can also sing sancharas with a significant longer course with a little faster tempo. Neraval and swaras were well done in suddasaveri .

THe joy of navarathri can only be understood by Goddess Lakshmeeem may be an errorneous statement as I dont know the contribution by other Goddesses . I can put that erroneous statement of Goddess aside and certainly say the raga devata Lalitha is indeed the crowning glory of navarathri. Lalitha is a raga was perhaps started more by DKJ /DKP in concert circuit, the greateest legend of laitha ragam is maharajapuram ramachandran when he sang hiranmayeem to me in some distant concert in sastrihall for ariyakudi foundation .What a joy to hear the tapestry of ramprasad singing this whole lalitha . His voice has heavy masculine aura and the beauty is he is steady and does not lose that masculine aura. maharajapuram Ramachandran the lalitha gold medalist must be proud of silver medallist Ramprasad. The rare krithi of PD bharthi mAtA came up next and I think it is saraswati or vachaspathi ,I am approximating to saraswati there, nice rolling swaras , he showed quite a lot of pyrotechnics and navarathri did not yet have any sundal sag.

Bowli is actually the tone that comes for sunset/sunrise settings in cinema eventhough folks usually attribute to Bhoopalam .Ramprasad sang a beautiful bowli and it was a great filler of sivan,sivan is fantafabulous with this lovely bowli krithi . IF my slightly fading memory is still correct i think i heard only once ema ninnE in mukhari as a main by thamarakkad or was that amrutha venkatesh. subbaraya sastri gives me less stress as he gives a clear concotion of all trinities his family shyama sastri ishta devata being the general theme, some musical slow orientation like a MD gait to start with for most time and some rhythmmic fantasy like sadguru thyagaraja to change the landscape with quite a sommersault. What a lovely mukhari main it was , mukhari was well done with a nice neraval and lovely swaras.

I have heard him sing way too many times shyama raga krithi annapoornE and I am not complaining ,a small slokham before that would have been better .He had 15 long mins and I dont know why he ended the concert at 08 45 pm. Dikhshitar appeared more divine after Goddesss annapoornE quick snacks (Goddess annapoornE is associated with good food) and kamalAmba navaavarnam krithi in shree ragam was well done.

HN BHaskar is steady and very raga bhava specific violinist. In early part he tried to play like his gurus annas son MA Sundareswaran but he did not get that kind of quick change- MAS is a genius there to change it in dazzling speed. I felt vijay natesan needs bit more muscles to have more evenness of sound but he will get there for sure , ANirudh had more fire power and I liked his contribution from song #2.Kanjira team is very very healthy as of now in concert circuit with so many doing well , anirudh is going to be a great kanjira artist soon.

If you metaphorically think a concert is like entering a river . Palghat Ramprasad is a musician where from outside it may appear the river is bit more calm but as you keep your foot in the river the undercurrent pull is much much more deep. As I was listening I saw his father Rajaraman cheering his son ,the very first concert when I attended Ramprasad in sastri hall (that review is either here or in sangeetham.com jungle ), Rajaraman and Palakkad Raghu cheered Ramprasad . Ramprasad has amazing male voice(a bit of ramnad krishnan , KVN and DKJ is there). I was particularly impressedd that his direction is also going in the direction of bit more speed like the himalayan giants like MMI-SSI-GNB

He could have atleast done two things 1. Sing till 9pm instead of 8 45 pm and 2 . Stop over adjusting microphones where you start the concert not at 06 25 and instead dot 06 15 pm. I am taking this liberty as I know the sabha seceratary of Parivadini very very well and I am pretty sure that just because I take a slamdunk on the sabha artist he will feel bad. This sabha secy of Parivadini Lalitharam Ramachandran takes even more tough decisions for the long term health of future performers post navarathri.

25 mins gone is quite heavy for rajesh, but considering all the noise and signal that is presently there with all the wonderful artist community, I have to say I enjoyed Ramprasad from Palghat a lot . As I walked some one was talking to another and there was a mention that ramprasad paternal grandfather was some mrudanga vidwan .

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours 20 mins.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 20:45 Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow ;Ticketed concert
Made an error yesterday, this was a non ticketed free concert.

adambakkam

Post by adambakkam »

Thanks for the detailed post @rajeshnat . Bharati Devi is Saraswathi and set to tune by Palghat Ramprasad. He has set tunes for a number of Purandaradasar krithis recently. I also listened to another dasar piece he has composed the tune - Devaki Kantha Mukunda in Hamsanadham . very catchy.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Interesting! He sang "Bare Gopamma" in Chandrajyoti couple months ago. Otherwise we listen to the same couple of songs in this raga.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

rajeshnat wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 07:39
Made an error yesterday, this was a non ticketed free concert.
Almost all concerts happening at Ragasudha Hall - many of them sponsored events - are 'free' for rasikas. I don't remember a single occasion where I bought ticket for a concert at this venue.

Except the 'December season' time, most Sabhas offer 'free kutcheris'. Lucky are Chennaiites including me.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

adambakkam wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 11:11 Thanks for the detailed post @rajeshnat . Bharati Devi is Saraswathi and set to tune by Palghat Ramprasad. He has set tunes for a number of Purandaradasar krithis recently. I also listened to another dasar piece he has composed the tune - Devaki Kantha Mukunda in Hamsanadham . very catchy.
Interesting. Obviously Ramprasad is hugely talented and cerebral.

I posted a comment on the YT webcast that his exuberance and flow of ideas challenges shruti alignment. After reading this thread I feel he will work and overcome it. We should welcome a very talented inheritor of a legacy!

Is it true Ramprasad is not a full time musician?

By the way, the line should read "devakī - kanda-mukunda". Spelling it as kantha means husband. Kanda means child.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi_R wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 10:12 Interesting. Obviously Ramprasad is hugely talented and cerebral.

I posted a comment on the YT webcast that his exuberance and flow of ideas challenges shruti alignment. After reading this thread I feel he will work and overcome it. We should welcome a very talented inheritor of a legacy!

Sachi
For early part of the concert the violin and both percussion had a very high sound and there was a challenge for me to spot his alignment in shruthi. I am not posting to vehemently disprove your thoughts , if it is okay let me know the precise minutes and seconds . You can disregard the request if you are not comfortable we donot want a debate that we had few years back between two great posters on a great artist with minutes on recording and fighting on shurthi.I would still call ramprasad work in progress in terms of being considered cerebral, there is a heavier masculine texture in his voice.

I personally heard him as bit more aggressive Ramprasad in mylapore than the last time I heard him in madras. He has to work in marketing bit more, there he cannot take up his grandfather.

I have no idea if he his full time .

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is stated (May 20, 2018): "Dr Ramprasad works as a senior economist at Athena Infonomics, India and is a visiting post doctoral fellow at The Harvard School of Public Health." (http://www.imsom.org/events/20180520.html)
It is also stated: "Ramprasad also holds classes at the Mylapore-based Palghat Mani Iyer School of Music.(http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... c-musician)
There is an interview with him:
https://swarajyamag.com/culture/carnati ... ntegration

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

here was a challenge for me to spot his alignment in shruthi. I am not posting to vehemently disprove your thoughts , if it is okay let me know the precise minutes and seconds . You can disregard the request if you are not comfortable

Dear Rajesh,
Fair enough. I have picked a clip.
http://bit.ly/2J3Oy2H

The Mukhari alapana is very well done and you can see the evinced enjoyment among the accompanists.

I sensed lapses in alignment when he sang a pure Pa or upper Sa. The voice wouldn’t stay on the precise swara sthana.

I think this is simply the mechanics of singing and GNB had such lapses in plenty. Those who managed to avoid such lapses worked hard to slow down and go close to the tambura and obtain alignment ( MMI and KVN for example).

I would like to state again I am already a fan of Ramprasad and I consider his grandfather to be an exemplar.

Finally I am no expert, I was not inside the concert hall and my hearing may not be perfect. In fact musicians have warned me to stay off such discussions. But I stated what I felt.

adambakkam

Post by adambakkam »

Sachi_R wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 10:12

By the way, the line should read "devakī - kanda-mukunda". Spelling it as kantha means husband. Kanda means child.
@Sachi_R Thanks for that lyrics correction. I might have heard it incorrectly. I saw in his Facebook page few months ago that he has gone full time. Also he has been back in India for almost 6 years now.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi_R wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 18:09
here was a challenge for me to spot his alignment in shruthi. I am not posting to vehemently disprove your thoughts , if it is okay let me know the precise minutes and seconds . You can disregard the request if you are not comfortable

Dear Rajesh,
Fair enough. I have picked a clip.
http://bit.ly/2J3Oy2H

The Mukhari alapana is very well done and you can see the evinced enjoyment among the accompanists.

I sensed lapses in alignment when he sang a pure Pa or upper Sa. The voice wouldn’t stay on the precise swara sthana.

Sachi
YOur link is just at the start of mukhari alapana. Mukhari simply floored me , possibly quick brigas is needed for him to race from the world of KVN/RK/DKJ towards MMI/SSI/GNB .We have had private mail discussions before , you can tell me that precise exact time line in a mail to me if you really want to .I donot want to be perceived as I am some one fighting as a chela to palghat ramprasad and keep prolonging this thread.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

No need🙂

Please listen to what I have shared.

I think you would be able to notice what I have already stated. Listen when he sings Pa and Sa notes.