Nadasurabhi Silver Jubilee Celebration Sanjay on 4th Nov 2018

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kvchellappa

Nadasurabhi Silver Jubilee Celebration Sanjay on 4th Nov 2018

Post by kvchellappa »

The last day saw Sanjay at his artistry.
Sanjay’s concert was Sanjay’s concert ( copyright: Kalidasa and Kamban).
It was in a pleasing tempo. Though Deepavali was just a couple of days away, Sanjay seemed to respect by and large SC order to avoid crackers. Venkatesh occasionally reminded that SC has exempted places other than Delhi.
‘It is ten seconds past six and over to Sanjay,’ concluded Sri Suresh after brief formalities.
Guruprasanna meshed into the well set Sanjay-Varadarajan-Venkatesh team. The men in white started the proceedings before one could do a chittikkai. It was a breathless affair from then on. Sanjay would pass from Sourashtram to Kedaram to Suddhasaveri (Devakriya rather) to Kiravani seamlessly as if it was a machine affair. He had grand inspiration from the veteran musician Smt. Neela mami, enjoying and encouraging, and his own beloved Aarthi Sanjay sitting in trance as the recording was in progress.
The varnam in kuntalavarali (parakela?) set the ball rolling.
Suryamurte followed. What a lovely and leisurely rendition! It symboilsed the setting sun as Sanjay landed in ‘namostu te’. It went well with the cool evening and the fading light outside ironically as it were.
Then started alapana in Kedaram. Sanjay treated Kedaram with all care, putting it in a cradle and gently pushing the cradle up and down. Varadarajan followed with his sweet essay. Would it be Rama nipai? No. Sakala bhuvana nayaka (Sivan). I heard for the first time. It is on Chidambaram. Sanjay seems to include one song on Chidambaram in his concerts. He sang swaras.
It was over to Suddhasaveri. Perhaps the suddhasaveri he sang years ago in Kalarasana(?) is the best. This one too vied for honours. Would it be Dharini? No. Dikshithar again. Srivadukanatham. New for me. Neraval at Sakthi sahitha.
Kiravani came torrentially next. Kaligiyunte? Yes, it was. Swaras at the usual charanam. The swara patterns were mesmerizing. There was plenty of fun with the team putting their act together with visible relish. Venkatesh let Kanjira have a lion’s share in percussion. A delectable tani followed. It was controlled compared to the one in Gayana Samaja.
He sang two melodious pieces next Jaladhini (?) and Managula .. Govinda (Abhogi).
RTP in Harikambodhi with Sivan’s handsome tribute to Bharathi (NCV’s heavenly voice reverberating at the back of the mind) ‘Bhakthiyudan ni thodukkum pAmAlaikku iNai undo Subramania Bharathi’. Ragamalika and the song concluded the number.
He started Etthanai Koti inbam vaitthAy iRaivA. Yes, that is how it was. I missed from there.
Sanjay’s alapanas set me thinking: if he were a mountaineer, he would not be satisfied even with Everest.
The experience of a concert of high standard cannot be captured in words. Adi Sankara begins Anandalahari saying, ‘Bhavani, neither the four-headed Brahma, nor the five-headed Siva, nor the six-headed Subrahmanya, nor the thousand-headed Adisesha, can describe your glory. How can I?” I am not comparing myself with Sankara (which will be preposterous) nor Sanjay with Bhavani. That is simply to say that I am unequal to convey the grandeur of the concert.
Song list (courtesy Sri Krishnan Kandadai)
1. Varnam in kuntalavarali
2. Sooryamurthe namostute in sowrashtram (D)
3. Sakala bhuvana nayaka – Kedaram (Sivan)
4. Sree vattuka natha in suddha saaveri (D)
5. Kalikiyunte in keervani (T)
6. Jaladhi (?)
7. Managula(?) in abhogi
8. RTP - harikambodhi
Raga maalikai covering ranjani, dhanyasi, kadhanakudoohalam and kanakangi
9. Ethanai Kodi inbam vaithai engal iraiva by bharathiyar in desh.
10. Jaavali in khamas
11. Viruttam - poorani manonmani , mohanam, saaveri, abheri , behaag followed by karpagambikai nee allavo
12. Ashtapathi in sindhubhairavi
Mangalam

arasi

Re: Nadasurabhi Silver Jubilee Celebration Sanjay on 4th Nov 2018

Post by arasi »

7: Was it maneyoLagADO gOvinda by Purandaradasa?
RTP: Sanjay would have sung the word as in the line of PS, I guess: 'toDutha' rather than toDukkum.
Last edited by arasi on 05 Nov 2018, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Must be.

Ramam

Post by Ramam »

jaladhi suta ramane (swathi Thirunal)
Mane valegaado govindha, Purandhara dasa, I thought the rendition was in Sriranjani

Harikamboji start was a teaser , first it gave impression of sankarabharanam then somewhat kamboji the third sangathi - guess har kamboji and the fourth yes it is indeed harikamboji.
This style Sanjay does for 2 raga alapanas. It requires the INGEST of the raga/swaras and a good control of it - that at concert level.
I agree with kvchellappa - more knowledge (n heads) is required to follow SS, else he makes you feel that he has hit his peak for the (1) headed.
though he employs all all allowed brigas possible and allowed by the raga's swaras

Compared to BGS concert 7 days ago this was less of crackers in the first big alapana. It is a welcome change.
Keeravani (believe me I thought would come) had nice western (flat) style melodic phrases in the alapana (indeed from keeravani) and swaram rendition too had a contesting end among the men in white.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramam or KVC sir
Was there a neraval in kaligiyuntE or was it just R S T in keeravani main.
How long was the concert???

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

He went to swaras without neraval as I remember.

kssr

Post by kssr »

rajeshnat wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 12:51
How long was the concert???
3 hours 15 minutes. I came back to Rasikas after a few months back. Feel at home as usual.

arasi

Post by arasi »

KSSR,
Good to have you back. And, you didn't miss much by not being around the past several weeks...:)
Please bring in Harini's additions to the incomplete lists of the concerts. Thanks.
Congratulations to Nada Surabhi on its celebrating its silver jubilee. An achievement. Another feather to the lively Bengaluru CM scene :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

K

V

C

कर्ण

वाक्

चक्षु

रसिकोत्तमः

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks for your love and kindness, Sri RSachi. I know I have to work hard to deserve it, maybe in the next birth.